PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk spirit drain

Tgo01
02-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Can the spirit drain from entering the sphere bring you down to zero spirit and kill you? Or will it just bring you down to a minimum of 1 spirit? Also is there anything (whether critter or some random event etc etc) actually inside the rift that can drain spirit?

Kastrel
02-12-2013, 11:01 PM
I know soul siphons in the Scatter can. Probably more, but I've never been in the Rift.

Archigeek
02-13-2013, 03:14 AM
No. The spirit drain from entering the sphere will only drain you 1 spirit below your top effective level. That is to say that if you generally have 10 spirit, but can function normally with 8, it will drain you down to 7 but no further.

Jeril
02-13-2013, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't say that is exactly true. It can drain up to 3 spirit, although I've heard from some people with enhanced spirit that it will still drain them down to 7. But I do recall even when I had 6 spirit it would still drain up to 3.

Drew
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
I used to have 4 spirit which made rifting a pretty big bummer. It never killed me but I do think I went down to 1 on some drops.

Roblar
02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I've departed and run back into on a rescue (so with 1 spirit). The drop won't take the last spirit point.

Tgo01
02-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone, good to know. I always thought the spirit drain could kill you so I was always cautious about that.

poloneus
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I've entered with 11 with an enhancive active and been drained to 7.

whiteflash
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
At 13 spirit I will be drained to 9, so below the 75% gimping threshold. I think Archigeek has it the most accurate with 1 spirit below your 75% threshold.

If you know some simple tricks you can avoid the problem though. Or the more difficult trick of holding a faceted black diamond!

Archigeek
02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
One tip if you don't already know it: inside the sphere is a node, so if you kneel and wait before dropping, you'll recover spirit faster than if you just run till you drop. This also leaves you on your knees instead of on your back when you do drop. This is what I usually do, waiting for one spirit recovery, plus holding out till just before the next one will happen. That way, if I do lose one on the final move to the drop, I'll often get it back while dropping.

Buckwheet
02-14-2013, 01:16 PM
More of a curiosity, but has it ever been divulged why this was added to the rift? I have always assumed with it being a self cast area it was always a double wammy just to get into the hunting area. I find the swim checks to OTF/Nelemar okay because you can train out of it. Before enhansive items it was even more annoying I felt.