PDA

View Full Version : Don't fucking heal without fucking permission

Drew2
07-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Connecting to game - please wait...

*** PsiNet client version beta 11 build 30 running.
*** PsiNet client has intercepted connection. Attempting to contact Simutronics...

Please wait for connection to game server.
Your mind extends outward and links with the PsiNet.
The PsiNet embraces you, Tayre.
You don't sense any messages on the PsiNet directed to you.
You are able to sense the psychic activity on the following channels:
OOC [Default]
(Your Default channel is the one you will CHAT to by default.)

Welcome to GemStone IV (R) v5.10
Copyright 2004 Simutronics Corp.
All Rights Reserved

You have unread news articles. Type NEWS NEXT to view the first new article.

[Solhaven, North Market]
The crush of the crowd is almost overwhelming here in the center of the market. Peddlers wheeling small carts push their way through, shouting loudly. Nearby, a group of dwarves argue heatedly with a local merchant. You also see a squalid canvas pavilion, an old barrel, a wooden bench with some stuff on it, the Belts booth, the Small Blades stand and the Muffinsmith's stall.
Also here: Ianne who is sitting
Obvious paths: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west
>peek OOC
You request a list of the people on the channel OOC.

You sense that the following people are tuned to the OOC channel:
Toy Stongarn Kaladriel Cryobolt
Iooy Jaeden Kaelowyn Taryne
Taelrak Arxis Kaetel Augie
Ardwen Doppelganger *Jamus-UL Tillmen
Barsamian Sithral Drumpy Siamere
Celexei Finiswolf Taylir Afia
Licel Ryuusei Marishka Syphaer
Jaggar Seravadon Syberus Leloo
Dionisius Suprie Thelan *Nakiro
*Eiderfleur Arkans Beramun Balstraud
Dazmar Gibreficul Desorceri Filswolf
Lei Melkinor Raelin Hotep
Warpedpath Gothique Mersaydes Jayvn
Victorj Mesail Daniella Eldas
Ericos Nemonaeon Sharpedged Maliku
Thothren Tayre

psinet find arkans
You query the minds of those linked to the PsiNet.

You sense that the following people are currently linked to the PsiNet:
Arkans
Total minds linked: 1

,Arkans
You focus on transmitting your thought.
,Arkans:Arkans.
You transmit your thought to Arkans: "Arkans."
>,arkans:How the hell did you get that avatar on PC
You transmit your thought to Arkans: "How the hell did you get that avatar on PC"
Ianne meditates over you.
Ianne takes your left hand damage.
>bone ian
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Bone Shatter...
Your spell is ready.
>
You gesture at Ianne.
You concentrate intently on Ianne, a pulse of pearlescent energy ripples toward Ianne!
CS: +285 - TD: +30 + CvA: +17 + d100: +97 == +369
Warding failed!
Ianne shudders with severe convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop his body.
Ianne is crushed for 65 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
Hard blow to abdomen looks painful!
He is stunned!
... 60 points of damage!
Blow to chest frees a rib to spear a lung and heart!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>
Ayriella's group just arrived.
>'Don't ever do that again
You say, "Don't ever do that again."

PS - This is not a complaint against the character, just the act of healing without my (or any) permission.

[Edited on 7-31-2004 by Tayre]

Numbers
07-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Healing without asking sucks, yes.

However, maybe this person didn't know that? Her TD is quite low; they could be completely new to this game, and I'm sure that you did some asinine things when you were new to this game. Instead of stroking your own ego, you could have taken the minute or two to whisper to her and explain that what she did was generally frowned upon, why it's frowned upon, and what she should do in the future.

If she got uppity afterward, then you could blast her.

SpunGirl
07-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Lolz, Tayre was PMSing. I don't like it when people do that either, though.

-K

Edaarin
07-30-2004, 10:33 PM
She got no exp from you, what's the problem.

Soulpieced
07-30-2004, 10:42 PM
She saved you from healing down... I can't believe that overpowered spell was ever implemented either.

Gan
07-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Will you promise to post the log when you make a mistake and someone treats you in like kind?

StrayRogue
07-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah. To be fair, I bet you wouldn't try that if a known older healer started healing you without asking. Just like Bob "role-plays" Shay as "evil" simply so he can start fights because he knows the character is older than 99% of all his intended targets. With power comes responsibility.

Edaarin
07-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Listen to your Uncle Ben, Tayre, and never use your spider strength for evil.

kheldarin
07-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Wow, what a lame way to show off your uber CS.

Nakiro
07-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
She saved you from healing down... I can't believe that overpowered spell was ever implemented either.

Its only over powered if you train for it, investing a ton of tps.

Don't worry, when 1110 comes out, which will require a different mental lore to be decent, 1106 will get downtweaked and suck, and the over costed bolt will be the newer, less impressive spell.

Jonty
07-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by kheldarin
Wow, what a lame way to show off your uber CS.

Yeah, 285 is uber CS.

kheldarin
07-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, considering I never made it past level 31, it's pretty high for me.

Not all of us have 500+ CS, sorry about that.

Anebriated
07-31-2004, 12:10 AM
come on... am I the only one who noticed this little gem?

>bone ian

edit: on a side note, I agree with Tayre in this situation. There was no interaction whatsoever with the healer. They got what they deserved.

[Edited on 7-31-2004 by Elrodin]

kheldarin
07-31-2004, 12:12 AM
HAHAHA

Betheny
07-31-2004, 10:56 AM
I hate when people do this, I used to be really anal about it, but now... eh, I don't give a shit. I can't make my own herbs now, so...

Hulkein
07-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 3704558
Healing without asking sucks, yes.

However, maybe this person didn't know that? Her TD is quite low; they could be completely new to this game, and I'm sure that you did some asinine things when you were new to this game. Instead of stroking your own ego, you could have taken the minute or two to whisper to her and explain that what she did was generally frowned upon, why it's frowned upon, and what she should do in the future.

If she got uppity afterward, then you could blast her.

I think Tayre's way works better. The guy will learn faster.

abeataboozakozl
08-01-2004, 07:09 PM
All I have to say is... God, what an asshole. Tayre must be real bitter about something in his screwed-up life to treat people like this in a game.

Betheny
08-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by abeataboozakozl
All I have to say is... God, what an asshole. Tayre must be real bitter about something in his screwed-up life to treat people like this in a game.

All I have to say is, fuck off and die.

Artha
08-01-2004, 07:17 PM
If you heal without asking, you deserve to be pwned.

CrystalTears
08-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Another episode of cast first, talk later. This is an example of using force to get your point across. Sorry but it doesn't always work. If that was a new person, they just learned that they can cast at whomever they want if they don't like something minor they did that they didn't like. Granted they should have asked, but no one did any "roleplaying" here. Oh well. :shrug:

Artha
08-01-2004, 07:21 PM
If that was a new person, they just learned that if they heal people without asking, they might get hurt. Good lesson.

Numbers
08-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Or, they could have learned that it's okay to attack people for small reasons, as CT said.

They could have also learned that it's okay to be an asshole in this game.

The lesson could have been much better conveyed if he'd have just whispered to her and explained to her the ropes. As I said in my earlier post, she might have just been a new player that didn't know any better. If she got pissy after the whisper, THEN he could have casted at her.

It's a game, we all play it to have fun. Do you honestly think that that level 2 healer had fun with this interaction? Do you honestly think that, if this person was a new player to this game, that she'd want to keep playing?

One of the big problems with this game was demonstrated quite nicely with the original post. People are too busy measuring their cocks and stroking their ego that they don't care if they're ruining the fun of the other players.

Jonty
08-01-2004, 07:30 PM
It is okay to be an asshole.

Artha
08-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Or, they could have learned that it's okay to attack people for small reasons, as CT said.

They could have also learned that it's okay to be an asshole in this game.

Or they couldn't have. It's pointless to continue, because it's just going to go back and forth like that.

One of the first things you should do before rolling up a character like an empath or cleric is learn the etiquette. That way things like this don't happen. Also, wtf business does a level 2 healer have healing? They can get what? Blood loss and minor limbs?

Edaarin
08-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Another thread that demonstrates that intelligence and maturity don't always go hand in hand. Wonderful.

Numbers
08-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Artha

One of the first things you should do before rolling up a character like an empath or cleric is learn the etiquette. That way things like this don't happen. Also, wtf business does a level 2 healer have healing? They can get what? Blood loss and minor limbs?

If she was entirely new to this game? How would she even know that there was an etiquette without someone else telling her? And I'm sure you did some really stupid things when you were brand new to this game (we all did,) that would make a level 2 empath healing somebody seem tame by comparison.

But you're right, it's pointless to continue, as we can't possibly know what this other person was thinking, or if she even was a brand new character. And, chances are Tayre didn't even realize that the empath was young, as in the log he didn't even look at her (unless he edited out.) He could have assumed that it was an older empath who should have known the etiquette.

It just gets annoying to see people jumping off the handle all the time for the smallest, stupidest, most insignificant things.

Bobmuhthol
08-01-2004, 07:46 PM
The character took 160 damage without dying.

That's like a level 10 giant.

Artha
08-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Actually, on second thought...they're way over 2.

Ianne shudders with severe convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop his body.
Ianne is crushed for 65 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
Hard blow to abdomen looks painful!
He is stunned!
... 60 points of damage!
Blow to chest frees a rib to spear a lung and heart!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

65 + 35 + 60 = 160 HP, and they didn't die. So, it can be assumed that they have more than 160. Assuming they're a giant and doubled Physical Fitness, that's level 9 or 10. If you don't know not to heal without asking by then, you should just reroll.

[Edited on 8-1-2004 by Artha]

Betheny
08-01-2004, 07:54 PM
There used to be people that would sit in TSC and teach the 'new' empaths etiquette. A lot of people never told these younger people that the 'etiquette' in question was more like a suggested way of doing things, and not necessary. So when you run across people that get all pissy about not using etiquette, you have to realize, chances are they don't know that you don't have to use it. Or maybe they get pissy because someone jumped all over them for not using it.

As a former empath myself, I know all about this crap. For me, whether I used the whole dumb 'nodding' shit was a matter of who was there, and who could ward me. Mostly, I just whispered to people asking if they wanted healing. If they said yes, that was enough. You have to figure, if someone comes to TSC with wounds, they want healing. I liked the thought of healing being more of a personal thing. But I never got pissed off when people didn't use the system I subscribed to. I did get pissed when people would just sit there and autoscript heal or whatever, and never let any of the others have a chance.

Parkbandit
08-02-2004, 10:09 AM
I fail to see how Tayre did not roleplay there. The empath simply took it up herself to initiate the interaction between herself and Tayre by attempting to heal his wounds. While I wouldn't have used such a powerful spell.. he was well within his right to cast said spell.

Falgrin would probably just steal from the empath.. or advise her to not to touch him again without his permission. The last thing he would need is every single female pawing all over him.

My ranger would have shot an arrow through the empaths hand and told her next time it would be her eye if she didn't keep her scab infested hands to herself.

My cleric and wizard would be grateful for the empaths quick response.

Czeska
08-02-2004, 10:24 AM
I still can't get over how healing another empath is considered bad, unless you have an arrangement. No exp is gained, to me it's helpful. But ok, if you want to "RP" having a stick up your ass, you can heal that yourself too.

I'll stay on Teras where the empaths are (generally) pleasant.

Parkbandit
08-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Roleplaying => nice and huggy.

Artha
08-02-2004, 07:16 PM
After being proven wrong, there's no apology from the 'They're just level 2 and you're evil!' crowd?

For shame.

CrystalTears
08-02-2004, 07:17 PM
My bad, she was old, she should know better.

Doesn't mean I think either one of them were right in their actions though.

Betheny
08-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Czeska
I still can't get over how healing another empath is considered bad, unless you have an arrangement. No exp is gained, to me it's helpful. But ok, if you want to "RP" having a stick up your ass, you can heal that yourself too.

I'll stay on Teras where the empaths are (generally) pleasant.

I think it's better RP to be upset that some absolute stranger is touching you God knows where, than to accept it and be OK with it.

How do I know they mean good? I'd rather RP with a healer than just have them be an EXP whore and heal me. I'm not a bucket of EXP to be drank like a bucket of lard.

CrystalTears
08-02-2004, 07:31 PM
How can an empath be an EXP whore when they heal another empath? :?:

Betheny
08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Because they're too dumb to know they don't get exp from another empath?

/SNICKER

Nah, I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to 'in general', meaning 'as relating to me', and none of my characters are empaths. Take that as you will.