PDA

View Full Version : Governors suck

GSLeloo
07-28-2004, 10:51 PM
A new reason to officially hate my town.

My town decided that we have to spend money on sidewalks so their wives can walk to the park (yeah fucking right they all drive their minivans) and so that the high schoolers can walk down a sidewalk rather than the road (um they're gonna walk down the road anyway).

What this means is they're going to take five feet out of our property. Now I live in a corner and this was fine when it was Dairy Street, the street in the front of my house. We already have a strip of land paved there and it's just lawn (our front is also a wall like three feet up so for them to remove anything they'd have to knock down the wall, push it back and rebuild it.)

What they never told us till we only heard yesterday through a gossip line is that they intend to first to Sunset street, the street on the side of our property. On the side of our property we have a line of hedges that have been growing for twenty years, we have lines of blueberry and raspberry bushes and then further back we have gardens of corn, broccoli, cuccumbers and flowers that have been coming back for years.

That sidewalk wipes all of that out. They'd remove all the hedges, half the garden, all the berry bushes, and all of our privacy. And we don't get reimbursed for a single thing or get asked if we want it or not.

I am so pissed I told my dad if they do it we should take all of the dog shit and line it up along the edge of our property next to their sidewalk. Also we should fence in our yard and buy two rottweilers and let them out all day to bark at anyone who passes.

Latrinsorm
07-29-2004, 12:06 AM
It's not your (you = your family) property. Sorry. Speaking as a runner, sidewalks are ALWAYS good things.

You can get really worked up over it and it'll happen anyway, or you can just take a deep breath and let it go. It's up to you.

Wezas
07-29-2004, 12:10 AM
I still think she should be compensated for what she's losing. Or at least get quotes for how much it would be to move the plants/garden back and have the town foot the bill.

Latrinsorm
07-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Legally speaking (if her town's anything like mine, and I have to figure it is) she's not losing anything. The town owns the first like 10 feet or so of your property from the street, and that's that. I don't have exact numbers or anything, what with not owning a house and therefore not having to worry about it, but I'm 98% positive I'm right.

Artha
07-29-2004, 12:19 AM
and all of our privacy

You have walls and blinds. What more do you need?

Bobmuhthol
07-29-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm 99% positive Latrinsorm is right.

EDITED FOR NO REASOANT ATAL<S.

[Edited on 7-29-2004 by Bobmuhthol]

GSLeloo
07-29-2004, 12:25 AM
I'm still pissed. We've had all of those plants for so long. Plus we have four pine trees planted in the range. And they have sentimental value cause each one represents someone, one for my brothers birth, one for mine, one for my grandma's death to remember her and one for my grandpa's death. It's like, no matter what you can't replace that. And runners run on the road too cause I always nearly hit them.

Latrinsorm
07-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
And runners run on the road too cause I always nearly hit them. Trust me, we're quite aware of how close cars come to hitting us. The stupid runners will always be stupid, feel free to clip them. The smart runners will always try to get to a sidewalk and deeply appreciate not being within a foot of two tons of steel moving at 30 MPH or more.

Yes, you are losing things, and losing things is unpleasant. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. However, this loss is a foregone conclusion, thus there's nothing to gain from being pissed but more unpleasantness.

Bobmuhthol
07-29-2004, 12:32 AM
<<However, this loss is a foregone conclusion, thus there's nothing to gain from being pissed but more unpleasantness.>>

No she can be like, "CHANGE THE LAW OF THE TOWN OR I WILL CUT RANDOM POWER LINES."

Everybody will cry.

GSLeloo
07-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Nah we just hope they run out of funding first. This is a one square mile town and all the old people vote down bigger budgets so maybe they'll start on Glenn, run out of money and quit.

The thing is, our road is not a main road at all and doesnt have a lot of traffic ever. Roads like Glenn are used so much and there's no sidewalk there. Also they'd have to cut so many trees down on our street...

And yeah I don't do 30, I do 50.

Red Devil
07-29-2004, 12:50 AM
heres what u do, find a tractor, put plates on said tractor, get cameras, get tv's, attach cameras outside tractor, put tv's inside tractor, then, RUN SHIT OVER

GSLeloo
07-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Here is what we would be losing.

SnatchWrangler
07-29-2004, 02:18 PM
It'll be even better when it snows in the winter and YOU are responsible for clearing the snow of the sidewalks...or pay a fine. Good times.

Back
07-29-2004, 02:34 PM
I live in an area that has few sidewalks and I miss them. Guess I'm pro-sidewalk. I can understand your frustration though. At least, you can transplant and grow more. While a sidewalk is something of a pain in the ass to you and your family, it might be a really good thing for the community as a whole.

Scott
07-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by SnatchWrangler
It'll be even better when it snows in the winter and YOU are responsible for clearing the snow of the sidewalks...or pay a fine. Good times.

Or when you're sidewalk is damaged, YOU have to pay for it. I have like 4 trees between the street and my sidewalk, so the roots sometimes rip up the sidewalk. This summer I spent a lot of time breaking up the concrete and then laying a new sidewalk. If it isn't my sidewalk, why the hell do I have to pay to fix it?

Prestius
07-29-2004, 03:30 PM
As a general note: your Governor is probably the last person to accuse of "sucking" over this. You may want to clue into how your local government in your area works and find the people that are actually responsible for street maintenance and sidewalks. If it's anything at all like most other places, it's probably a County function. I'd start raising hell there!

-P

Betheny
07-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I love sidewalks.

It annoys the hell out of me when I have to cross the street to walk on one, and then walk back over (Dodging traffic the whole way) to get to my bus stop EVERY DAY.

I've been almost hit a few times. So I say, sidewalks rule.