PDA

View Full Version : seeing and disarming traps

jafo
08-01-2004, 09:34 PM
I tried tsorans spreadsheet for figuring out how high I can see and disarm traps. In the case of seeing them spreadsheet is almost 100 off the mark. Disarming its closer to the mark but a bit above.

Anyone got formulas for these?

Jonty
08-01-2004, 09:51 PM
The max trap decectable formula is not known.

Max trap disarmable is:

disarm skill + dex bonus

jafo
08-03-2004, 12:38 AM
with 51 ranks of disarm and 64 ranks of perception, i could see traps in the low to mid 300s

dis 151 + per 164 = 315

Sounds like it might be 315+roll (perhaps the roll can occasionally be negative)

disarming skill was in line with skill+dex

Edaarin
08-03-2004, 12:47 AM
I don't think disarming skill has anything to do with seeing the trap.

I believe (I'm not 100% sure on this) that the factors that go into trap you can see are:

Amount of perception
Lighting of the room
Presence of fog in the room
Whether or not you have the spell Presence on
Whether or not you have the amulet on
Your intuition bonus

I remember with 125 ranks of perception and 402 up, I couldn't see a -500 rift trap on the first try, but I spotted it on the second. Not sure if that helps any, but you're never going to see a trap more than -550 anymore I don't think.

jafo
08-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Whether or not you have the amulet on

amulet?

Jonty
08-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jafo
with 51 ranks of disarm and 64 ranks of perception, i could see traps in the low to mid 300s

dis 151 + per 164 = 315

Sounds like it might be 315+roll (perhaps the roll can occasionally be negative)

Yes, the there is a roll included. But I don't think it's disarm skill + perception skill. I recently asked this same question on the Official Locksmith's boards, someone gave me that same answer, and everyone said it was wrong and that the formula isn't know. So, I believe them.

Drew
08-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
I don't think disarming skill has anything to do with seeing the trap.

I know almost nothing about lockpicking so I could be wrong but I don't know if this is true. The other day I checked a kobold box (I have 24 ranks of perception, 32 INT bonus) 5 times and didn't find a trap on it, but it was trapped, I would imagine if it was mainly based off your perception and INT I would have seen it one of those five times.