PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back my ranger!

Souzy
07-28-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm bringing back my ranger, lolz. She's only 2 trains, so I can't remember what training plan I had for her. What's good anyway?

Name: HAHA Race: Sylvankind Profession: Ranger (shown as: Ranger)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
Constitution (CON): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Dexterity (DEX): 90 (30) ... 90 (30)
Agility (AGI): 81 (20) ... 81 (20)
Discipline (DIS): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Aura (AUR): 51 (5) ... 51 (5)
Logic (LOG): 66 (8) ... 66 (8)
Intuition (INT): 66 (8) ... 66 (8)
Wisdom (WIS): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
Influence (INF): 30 (-10) ... 30 (-10)

XXX (at level 2), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 15 3
Shield Use.........................| 15 3
Combat Maneuvers...................| 15 3
Edged Weapons......................| 25 5
Ranged Weapons.....................| 25 5
Ambush.............................| 15 3
Physical Fitness...................| 15 3
Dodging............................| 10 2
Harness Power......................| 15 3
Spirit Mana Control................| 5 1
Survival...........................| 5 1
Stalking and Hiding................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 5 1

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 1

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 2

Drew
07-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Most people don't train up the minour spirit circle that early, although 101 and 103 are quite powerful spells, and 606 matters less to an archer. With two different type of weapon trainings it's probably hard to get all the points you need but just about every archer I know doubles in ambush for archery AS and aiming. It will also make you more likely to crit with your edged ambush...

Anebriated
07-28-2004, 07:30 PM
606 is a guarenteed second off of shooting rt. That is low priority? Most ranger archers will go to 613 then 103, then back up 600's till either 618 or 640. As far as your physical training goes... Are you set on going Edged and Ranged? The way you are trained you will always be mediocre at both weapon classes.

Arshwikk
07-28-2004, 08:00 PM
I could not leave you under the impression that Elrodin has any clue what he is talking about...However...:::sigh::: he's right. You gonna want 606 as soon as possible. Much like a mage, you'll notice as you load down your defense drops quick, 606 helps encumbrance.

gcstader
07-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Personally I got 601 then up to 103. Ranger to 640, then MnS to 120.

~Greg / Eldas

Souzy
07-29-2004, 04:11 AM
Oh, I'm going to ranged, sorry. I haven't been checking out the forum. :(

Parkbandit
07-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by LalanaXXX (at level 2), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 15 3
Shield Use.........................| 15 3
Combat Maneuvers...................| 15 3
Edged Weapons......................| 25 5
Ranged Weapons.....................| 25 5
Ambush.............................| 15 3
Physical Fitness...................| 15 3
Dodging............................| 10 2
Harness Power......................| 15 3
Spirit Mana Control................| 5 1
Survival...........................| 5 1
Stalking and Hiding................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 5 1

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 1

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 2

Drop shield and drop edged training. Get to 2x hiding (at least) and I think rangers can train 2x in ambush (which will improve your aim)

And what kinda name is "HAHA" anyway? :)

Edaarin
07-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Says Falgrin Laughinshadow.

Anebriated
07-29-2004, 03:15 PM
dont 2x in ambush, the payoff isnt worth the price. I suggest going with 2x ranged, 2x hide, 2x perception, 1x PT, 1x HP, 1x dodge, 1x ambush, 1x armor, 1x spells, after that its pretty much your choice of what to add. I threw points into brawling for Voln Fu and its really paid off in my book.

gcstader
07-29-2004, 06:58 PM
If you plan on being able to skin, go for at least 1x survival. Survival and First Aid are both equal factors in the skinning formula so, if you're going to 2x it's more efficient to 1x survival/1x first aid rather than to 2x one or the other.

~Greg / Eldas

Souzy
07-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Rawk <2 U all!

Artha
07-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Rawk <2 U all!

I think that means she considers you all really good friends.

Souzy
07-29-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm allowed to make mistakes, lolz. I never check what I type. :( Yes, but that's ummm a pelican! I meant to say I PELICAN U all!!!!! Makes no sense, but it sho does look like a pelican to me. :yeahthat:

Arshwikk
07-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Damn it, I knew Elrodin would mess you up...

They're all wrong!

If yer gonna do something, do it right...you need to 2x ambush, 2x perception, 2x ranged weapons...what this does is the same effect 2x cm's is for a swinger, basicly you'll get the extra bow AS every train, and you will want it at higher levels, where havine 20 less AS means you suck ass...trust me...and forget all that skinning crap, mana sharing, and imbueing armor...be a tank

you need at least 1.5x hide, but with yer ranger spells, that will be plenty, get some body...build that redux...if you go voln, double brawl, the best fu-ers alive are rangers these days...if ya don't go brawl you can double hide and maybe do some of that wuss ass skinning (survival)crap...your gonna want about 1x dodge, and later, pick up some manuevers...enough for multifire, and maybe shadow mastery is nice...but trust me, ranged don't need many cm's...Cm's no longer seem to matter for critter type manuever attacks, dodge is the ticket there, and you have dex too, or will anyway. Also, ya need that 1x harness power for your spells.

You need more details, examples, hunting logs, whatever, just ask.

Artha
07-29-2004, 10:03 PM
and later, pick up some manuevers...enough for multifire,

MFire blows goats. Pretend it doesn't exist.

Arshwikk
07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Artha

and later, pick up some manuevers...enough for multifire,

MFire blows goats. Pretend it doesn't exist.

It's fun, but yeah, has no practical purpose for your tank ranger who runs around so badass you need not even hide, and pop arrows in eyeballs at a 3 sec rt with a longbow...that's what wizard strength does for ya.

Hiding is cool when yer hunting 10 trains over yer head, that's when spirit strike and camo ensure your victories...but honestly, the well trained archer will walk around open against same age, take hits, and kill monsters with no need to hide, stance, nuthin...yer just a killing machine.

Yeah, I threw in some multifire...it impresses the kids around the landing during a rolton swarm.

Anebriated
07-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Thats the beuty of Gemstone IV. Cookie cutter chars are not the way everyone has to train anymore. I said "I suggest" for that reason. I also laid down what i see as the bare minimum. If you want to 2x Ambush then thats fine, I dont see it as necissary. here are my reasons why.

First, if she is 2 now then it will be a LONG time(knowing her... never) before she gets to your train Arsh. That being said that extra AS wont be that big of a deal until you are up over 60, and even then it shouldnt matter that much. forumla is what [(ambush ranks > 40) + (perception ranks > 40)/4]? Its either 4 or 2 at the end. Either way that means at 50 trains your talking 12 or 25 AS. Since archery uses bolt DS you wont need that extra AS.

Second, take the Tp's needed for the second training each level in ambush and put them into something like more spells, more armor, MIU, brawling, something useful and it will do you alot more good than leaving them at ambush. I would say that I hit eyes 60% of the time, granted its not the best number but what does it matter if I can stay in hiding and pick them off from there?

At 45 I have around 15-20% redux as an archer ranger. I am trained so that I can do pretty much everything I want to. I hunt 20 trains over my head with voln fu, and i can hunt 15 over with my bow but i choose the favor instead. Its more what the person wants to be able to do than what is the best choice. My method was laughed at by alot back when everyone was planning for GSIV but now there are people who I have helped who are doing great on similar plans. I dont say my training is for everyone, but it can give everyone an idea of what is out there and what does work. :shrug:

Anebriated
07-29-2004, 10:22 PM
also, I havent depended on hiding to be a successful hunter since I was mid 20's in training. When I hunt the blighted forest(10-15 trains over my head) I use camo but I dont hunt there often. I can walk around Pyro's(also 10ish) and do fine without hiding.

Hanksbane
07-29-2004, 10:25 PM
I second what Elrodin said. If you want a killing machine tank at the higher levels then by all means, 2x ambush. you wanna get another skill, or save up for more spells, then go ahead. Voln-fu'er? Get brawling. You can shape your ranger in a lot of different ways. No one way is the best.

My ranger is ranged/edged. He does well at both, maybe Im not an uber killing machine but I did manage to over hunt for almost all his levels.(I can't remember if I did during the early levels, but Im sure i did) Some may think its a dumb route to go seeing as I only rarely use edged weapons. It has come in handy at times and it was more for his RP than actual hunting style, but that was my choice and I have done pretty good with it.

Souzy
07-29-2004, 10:27 PM
ROFL! :heart:

OK so put in a simple formula for me. Too much to read. I'm a simple gal. -_-

Anebriated
07-29-2004, 10:29 PM
well what do you want her to be able to do? As of right now we are all just spitting out ideas with no real limitations.

Arshwikk
07-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Hahahahah!

I'm just messin with ya Elrodin, but I will say that while I was flipping my skills around during the trial period, at my age ya lose damn near 30 AS if ya 1x ambush, plus yer not as accurate...but yer right...if you wanna be less then perfect...that's cool...just makes me all that much more special ::smirk::

Kiddin

but the up side of not doubling any skill is a lot of tp's to throw elsewhere, and YES, 1x ambush is enough to succeed...However, some of these things I hunt have some nasty Bolt DS till they attack, and frankly, being hidden with 117 in effect and poppin a Vvael Warlock, I occassionaly miss, and I should add that ranger TD sucks ass now...so, I'm not trying to wait for anything my age to attack me unless it swings.

On the Fu note...beating down lost souls and Vaesps is no problem, empty handed too...again, they void ya though and yer gonna hear yer death cry...well, least till yer supposed to be there....even then ya can't ward em half the time, just means maybe ya dodge void crap.

Of course, if ya have no plans on being old, this is all pointless...I would triple in flower picking, and finger filing then.

Souzy
07-29-2004, 10:41 PM
I want her to be a ranger? What else does a ranger do?! I have no idea. Erm...she's def. gonna be an archer, semi-caster, cos you know...that thorns thing is uber cool, nothing else comes to mind when I think of it, oh right...I need to figure out if COL or Voln is better, that's when I'll maybe put in some points for brawling, when I have the extra points to spend.

Arshwikk
07-29-2004, 10:50 PM
well, if yer trying to be the stereotype ranger...I would think you mean like skinning, making rods and wands, maybe even imbueing armor and all that other "help everyone else" crud...You wanna go the Elrodin plan for sure then, 1x ambush, pick up survival, spiritual mana share (rods/armor), and maybe even some lores...IF you join COL, you'll get back tp's also, cause no need to double brawl, just get some for defense if ya like to make people mad :::whistle:::, but I will say that if all ya do is shoot a bow, yer gonna run into that bless/unblessed arrow crud, plus yer arms get messed up and yer only offense will be 616, assuming yer skulls not cracked too. It's a lot to think about...sorry...heh

Edaarin
07-29-2004, 10:59 PM
If she gets past level 10 I'll be shocked.

Back
07-29-2004, 11:07 PM
I've got an idea... make her unkempt and wild. I knew someone in another game who used to play like she got lost all the time and constantly had twigs in her hair.

Feral chicks can be cool.

Souzy
07-29-2004, 11:25 PM
LOL! I should make her insane, oh yes.

Back
07-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Lalana
LOL! I should make her insane, oh yes.

But not so insane she wouldn't shave her legs. :lol:

Parkbandit
07-30-2004, 08:21 AM
2x ambush gives you better AS and aiming. I will never understand why people say don't worry about it. It's like making an edged weapon character and not going fully 2x edged.

But hey.. to each their own.

Souzy
07-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
2x ambush gives you better AS and aiming. I will never understand why people say don't worry about it. It's like making an edged weapon character and not going fully 2x edged.

PB! Gimme a training plan for my rogue, lolz! She rawks in pickpocketing. I got tired of sucking at picking boxes so I made her a thief and a killar, RAWR!!!!!

[Edited on 7-30-2004 by Lalana]

Anebriated
07-30-2004, 11:48 PM

It would be more like a an edged weapon char who only 1x's in CM. At 45 I have lost 23 AS because I only 1x, at 78(i think thats arshwikk's train) I will have lost maybe 39 AS. If, when the time comes, I determine that I can't live only singled in Ambush then I will drop some brawling and bring ambush to 2x using a fixskills. I dont forsee that being the problem though. 40 AS is minimal by the time you get to 80ish trains, I will also have selfcast 117 by then which would help if I ever need it. Can also break down and start using a crossbow, better aiming and more AS if I kneel.