PDA

View Full Version : Monk suggestions crossposted from the officials

Aluvius
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I thought I might get some more input on these suggestions for monk related cman's and spells from those of you that don't visit the officials.

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Monks/Developer's%20Corner%20-%20Monks/thread/1523811

I've come up with a few suggestions that would give some needed tweaks to monk centric spells/cmans and I'd like to point ya'll towards them in their respective folders. Anyway, its a way to address some of our issues without adding in extra systems. For the 1209 component I also thought of adding it to Ki Focus or adding in a Jab Mastery cman (I think Jab Mastery would be a better choice). Oh well, what do ya'll think?

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Magic%20Spells%60Systems/Minor%20Mental%20Circle/thread/1523805

1209 suggestion

I'd like to suggest adding another component to this spell that could address some of the criticisms about the speed of tiering/UAC in general if not used to ambush from hiding.

I think this spell should add a bonus to automatically tiering up similiar to that given by the various punch/kick/grapple masteries. The bonus could track directly with that of the UAF bonus currently given by the spell (seed 1 Mental Lore, Transformation). I'd suggest starting it at a +10% floor which with enough lore can get up to +23% at 91 ranks of ML,T (same as the UAF bonus).

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Magic%20Spells%60Systems/Minor%20Mental%20Circle/thread/1523782?get_newest=true

1202 suggestion

I'd like to suggest adding in a level 0 bonus of 1 AsG for monks to 1202 Iron Skin. Currently the progression for monk's pseudo armor is quite low for a square. Here are the armor's a monk can get into if they 1x Mental Lore, Transformation (which few rarely do at lower levels due to tp cost):

lvl 0 - AsG 6 full leather
lvl 5 - AsG 8 double leather
lvl 15 - AsG 10 curbouilli(scale)
lvl 30 - AsG 12 brigandine (scale)
lvl 50 - AsG 14 double chain
lvl 75 - AsG 16 chain hauberk
lvl 75+ with 105 lores - AsG 17 mbp (plate)
lvl 75+ with 140 lores - AsG 18 augmented plate

So the earliest level for scale is level 15, chain level 50 and plate is theoretically 75 with lore enhancives (most will be later since you need +30 in lore enhancives).

With a level 0 monk bonus of 1 AsG here's what the progression looks like:

lvl 0 - AsG 7 reinforced leather
lvl 5 - AsG 9 leather breasplate (scale)
lvl 15 - AsG 11 studded leather (scale)
lvl 30 - AsG 13 chain mail
lvl 50 - AsG 15 augmented chain
lvl 75 - ASG 17 mbp (plate)
lvl 75+ with 105 lores - AsG 18 augmented plate
lvl 75+ with 140 lores - ASG 19 half plate

With this change the earliest level for scale is level 5 (was 15), chain is level 30 (was 50) and plate is still level 75 (however it does not require finding +30 in lore enhancives).

These still require a player to 1x Mental Lore, Transformation at a cost of 12 mtp's per which is a significant investment, there are probably many who would rather spend the points elsewhere. However it at least gives the monk a bit more parity with rogues and monks when it comes to armor progression (although they can still far outstrip monks when it comes to getting into chain and plate) and it gives them plate at level 75 without needing a crazy amount of lore enhancives that most won't be able to access.

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Hunting%20and%20Combat/Combat%20Maneuvers%20Discussion/thread/1523798?get_newest=true

Inner Harmony cman suggestion

I think this cman is an interesting idea but I don't think many people will find utility in Rank 3 of it as its currently implemented. Right now you can't assume a stance if you are incapacitated which is when most people would like to use the Rank 3 ability of instant negative effect dispelling.

I'd like to suggest an enhancement to Rank 3 of this cman. At Rank 3 there should be added a reduction in the timer to shake off a negative effect from 30 seconds to 15 or 20 seconds.

***************************************** Slippery Mind cman suggestion

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Hunting%20and%20Combat/Combat%20Maneuvers%20Discussion/thread/1523789?get_newest=true

Slippery Mind cman suggestion

I'd like to suggest adding a generic TD enhancement to this cman.

Per rank, Cloth +3, Leather +2, Scale +1, Chain 0, Plate 0

So at rank 3 a character in cloth would have a +9 generic td bonus, leather +6, scale +3, chain 0, plate 0.

At Rank 3 this enhancement would make up a bit less than a third of the CvA deficit a rogue/monk in robes has vs plate.

Androidpk
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
1202 should give monks full plate at 75 without enhancives. It should also add the associated CvA. Somehow I don't see Simu changing it though.

I haven't done any testing but I'm curious as to what offers a higher chance of tiering up: jab or punch with 3 ranks of punch mastery.

Aluvius
01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure when it comes to auto tiering. I almost suggested a Jab Mastery that gave enhanced auto tiering chances and enhanced chance to generate an opening instead of any MM. Hmm, maybe I will heh.

droit
01-06-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure when it comes to auto tiering. I almost suggested a Jab Mastery that gave enhanced auto tiering chances and enhanced chance to generate an opening instead of any MM. Hmm, maybe I will heh.

From the beta:

You ask, "In general terms, how much less of a chance to tier does punch have than jab?"
>
Finros says, "If you measure tier-up chance on a percentage basis, punch has around 40 points less of a chance."