PDA

View Full Version : Is there a nice way to turn someone down?

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 04:47 PM
This overly geeky guy at bowling keeps IMing me and trying to flirt with me even though I send him absolutely no signals.

The other night he tried to ask me out to dinner and I made up some bull about not dating right now cause I just got out of a relationship. He couldnt take that hint so his responce was "When you get back in the game, let me be the first to know."

Then, he tries to get my b-day info from me last night and I respond with "A lady never tells her age...or birthday."

My ex is very flirty with me at bowling and I pay hardly any attention to this geek boy. In fact, I tend to flirt with one of his team members right in front of him!

How the hell do I get across to him that he has no chance, without being a total bitch?

Satira
07-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Just say I'm really flattered that you're interested in me, and I like you as a friend, but I'm not interested in dating you.

That isn't being a bitch, that's just politely turning him down. Otherwise you're going to end up constantly avoiding him and making crap up, and that ends up being worse in the long run.

Jolena
07-27-2004, 04:52 PM
:yeahthat:

Parkbandit
07-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Tell him if he doesn't leave you alone, you'll juggle bowling balls over his testicles.

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Lady Satira
Just say I'm really flattered that you're interested in me, and I like you as a friend, but I'm not interested in dating you.

That isn't being a bitch, that's just politely turning him down. Otherwise you're going to end up constantly avoiding him and making crap up, and that ends up being worse in the long run.

Yeah, I might eventually have to do that. LOL some of my guy friends have offered to pose as fake boyfriends or dates but then that would make me look horrible cause of what I told the guy.

I wish he would just take the hint though.

Kitsun
07-27-2004, 05:11 PM
On behalf of geeks everywhere, I ask you to be direct, blunt but avoid being cruel. Geeks have emotions too, even if we are socially ackward and mostly dense.

El Burro
07-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Tell him you prefer women... that will drive him away :lol:

Souzy
07-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Sometimes it's just better to be straight forward. Or...you can say that you don't date co-workers or team mates? LOLZ, something! I'd just tell him that he's not your type and not to take it the wrong way. Then again he's getting on your nerves, so IF it was me, I'd tell him the truth. I'd tell him that he's not my type and let's just keep it at bowling.

DeV
07-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by El Burro
Tell him you prefer women... that will drive him away :lol: That does not work, at all.

Be direct and honest. Satira said it best.

Souzy
07-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Tell him you prefer women... that will drive him away :lol:

You'd be surprised. Diana = hot

If you was a straight up meat head of a guy and she told you that, you'd be all, "OMFG! CAN I JOIN?!"

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 05:20 PM
LOL thanks. And the gay thing doesnt work, some guys seem to think that's even better.

Soulpieced
07-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Come out and say I am not attracted to you and don't want to date you. You stole fizzy lifting drinks, you get nothing. Good day sir.

Wezas
07-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Lalana
Sometimes it's just better to be straight forward. Or...you can say that you don't date co-workers or team mates?

Wasn't her ex the little boy on her juggling team?

:D

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
Come out and say I am not attracted to you and don't want to date you. You stole fizzy lifting drinks, you get nothing. Good day sir.

LMFAO! That's one of my favorite movies. I never thought to use it as a way to turn down a guy though....:lol:

My ex and this guy are two different guys. My ex is on my team and this geek boy is on another team.

PS Shut up about the juggling boy

[Edited on 7-27-2004 by DianaBanana]

Wezas
07-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced

And if he tries to reply just say "I SAID GOOD DAY!" and then storm out.

El Burro
07-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Tell him you want to get married, move in with his parents, and have babies RIGHT NOW!

That might work too :cool2:

Betheny
07-27-2004, 06:07 PM
The easiest way to say no is to either 1. stab someone, 2. tell them you have some nasty STD, or 3. tell them you are a man.

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
The easiest way to say no is to either 1. stab someone, 2. tell them you have some nasty STD, or 3. tell them you are a man.

Oh Maimara arent you the charming one....:bleh:

Skirmisher
07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Please excuse me while I whip this out. :yeahthat:

And how did I know before reading that post that Beth would be stabbing someone?

Betheny
07-27-2004, 06:16 PM
I'll stab you too. Wench!

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 06:18 PM

Dont make me kick you in the non-existent nuts! :lol:

Wait, was that aimed at me? Oh well, catfight!!!

Betheny
07-27-2004, 06:23 PM
You can't win, why would you even try?

I am the queen of all that is unholy, after all.

I'll just gnaw off your face or something.

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 06:26 PM
You can't win, why would you even try?

I am the queen of all that is unholy, after all.

I'll just gnaw off your face or something.

I'd fight dirty. ;) :kick:

Skirmisher
07-27-2004, 06:40 PM
:O
:axe:
I'm not scared of you!
:punch:

As long as we keep a couple of states between us.:D

Blazing247
07-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Next time he talks to you, look really repulsed and say "Excuse me I think I just vomited in my mouth."

I will guarantee that works.

Betheny
07-27-2004, 09:32 PM
or, vomit in your mouth, then french kiss him.

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 09:34 PM
or, vomit in your mouth, then french kiss him.

I think if I were to french kiss him that would actually cause me to vomit. So then there is no need to actually vomit beforehand. LOL

Betheny
07-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Make sure you eat some good beef stew beforehand, for extra nastiness.

kheldarin
07-27-2004, 10:12 PM
What really turns me off about women is food in their teeth. Try it next time, always stick something disgusting between your teeth.

DianaBanana
07-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Make sure you eat some good beef stew beforehand, for extra nastiness.

How about tuna?

07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Tell them your gay. It works for me.

07-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Tell them your in love with someone else. If they give you flowers and presents, decline. Hand it back on over like I did with this one butt-ugly Armenian bitch :waves:

Latrinsorm
07-27-2004, 11:11 PM
let's just keep it at bowling.aka the cruelest 7 words in the English language. :cry:

Betheny
07-28-2004, 06:36 AM
telling someone you are gay doesn't work, they just get all intrigued and want a threesome. Best to not go there.

Tsa`ah
07-28-2004, 06:49 AM
Tell him you want to get married, move in with his parents, and have babies RIGHT NOW!

That might work too :cool2:

And he says "jack-pot" and orgasms on the spot.

I'd say this is something not to do with a geek-boy.

The easiest way to get rid of him is to get another geek boy interested and pit them against one another.

They'll spend the next 20 years of their lives self sequestered, stalking each other on-line, and nuking each other in multi-player shoot-em-up games.

longshot
07-28-2004, 06:52 AM
Cruelty is a matter of perception.

You have to be direct though. Even if it is cruel.

You thinking you're blowing him off by not giving your birthday info is percieved completely differently by him. He thinks probably thinks you're being flirty with him.

Flirting with his teammates? You're only trying to make him jealous...

Of course, this isn't true, but he'll see it how he wants to see it.

Say something like, "I just want to be friends." or, "I don't see us being anything else than just friends" (the "just" is important.

This will be devasting to him, but it's the nicest thing you can do.

Actually, not telling him this and letting him believe he has a chance is much, much crueler.

[Edited on 7-28-2004 by longshot]

El Burro
07-28-2004, 09:27 AM
I think the relevant question here is "what's his average?".

You could have yourself a Roy Munson on your hands here and we all know that... is a keeper. :loveu:

Also if he probably enjoys being used so you should do exactly that... drink his drinks... eat his food... brutalize him verbally... he will follow you to the ends of the world... or at least lane 34. :beer:

DianaBanana
07-28-2004, 09:34 AM
I almost choked on my bagel this morning reading this stuff guys. Thanks. :lol:

Wezas
07-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

let's just keep it at bowling.aka the cruelest 7 words in the English language. :cry:

err... 7?

Latrinsorm
07-28-2004, 01:00 PM
let's is two words, contracted. If it was one word, it would be a portmanteau, but it's not. Trust me.

DianaBanana
07-28-2004, 06:55 PM
In an hour and a half I'll be at bowling and so will geek boy. I'm gonna do my best not to be overly rude to him but I'll probably end up ignoring him alot. He needs to go away.

Betheny
07-28-2004, 06:57 PM
One word, two syllables, will cure your woes.

MURDER. :up:

DianaBanana
07-28-2004, 06:58 PM
One word, two syllables, will cure your woes.

MURDER. :up:

Wanna do it? I know you'd enjoy it. :P

Betheny
07-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Dude, I would roll around naked in that guy's guts and scream for joy.

Meos
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Holy shit..

Betheny
07-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Meos
Holy shit..

You're turned on, AREN'T YOU?

YOU SICK FREAK!

[Edited on 7-28-2004 by Maimara]

Arshwikk
07-28-2004, 07:20 PM
The answer is really simple, "No", there is no nice way. Anything even remotely related to nice will only lead the guy to believe he has a chance. While I would stop short of killing him, and rolling around in his guts (It's not worth the dry cleaning fee)...Just tap into your innate female powers, and be all the bitch you can be.

DeV
07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Yeah, basically if you don't say anything he is going to keep thinking he has a chance, even the slightest is enough to keep him hoping.

Tell him you have a third nipple or something.

HarmNone
07-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Those who say the kindest thing to do is tell him the truth are right, in my opinion. It's much kinder to tell someone you're happy to have their friendship but do not wish the relationship to go further than that than to just ignore them, or make excuses. Both those things allow them to hope that, if they continue, you'll come to see it their way. :)

HarmNone knows this method works best, and ends by making a friend

*Edited to morph a letter*

[Edited on 7-28-2004 by HarmNone]

Arshwikk
07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
Yeah, basically if you don't say anything he is going to keep thinking he has a chance, even the slightest is enough to keep him hoping.

Tell him you have a third nipple or something.

He's probably a Trekkie, the third nipple ploy will only inspire further curiosity!

Betheny
07-28-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm sayin'... REDRUM

Arshwikk
07-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm sayin'... REDRUM

You do realize that looking at that dyslexicly one might see DRUMER?

Shame on you...your missing an M

Betheny
07-28-2004, 08:07 PM
You bang Teeoncy.

AkMan
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Have Beth IM him, or better yet call him. He'll never bother you again I'm sure...if he lives through it.

DianaBanana
07-28-2004, 11:27 PM
I told him tonight and he took it pretty well. Anyway, the worst part of this evening was walking out to my car and seeing my ex makeout with his new girlfriend-ish person. :banghead:

Blazing247
07-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Oh, he PWN'd you hard. Being the first to hook up/date after an ended relationship is awesome. I rub it in.

Betheny
07-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Blazing247
Oh, he PWN'd you hard. Being the first to hook up/date after an ended relationship is awesome. I rub it in.

Hahahha, I didn't realize it was a race.

Soulpieced
07-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Hahahha, I didn't realize it was a race.

Oh, it is.

DianaBanana
07-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Actually it's not the first one and I've dated people after him. It's just the first time i've seen him with someone else and it was gross. LOL

longshot
07-29-2004, 01:42 PM
This bowling alley sounds quite incestuous...

DeV
07-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by DianaBanana
I told him tonight and he took it pretty well. Anyway, the worst part of this evening was walking out to my car and seeing my ex makeout with his new girlfriend-ish person. :banghead: You didn't give him any ass... you still win.