PDA

View Full Version : Did Romney's Dad Really Walk Out of the 1964 Convention?

ClydeR
10-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Romney likes to tell the story of how he saw his dad walk out of the 1964 Republican convention when Barry Goldwater spoke forcefully in favor of states' rights, which was code for opposing civil rights for blacks. Nobody bothered to check whether or not what Romney said was true -- until now.

It turns out that Romney's dad did not walk out of the convention. Instead, he stayed to the end, and Romney's dad personally seconded Goldwater's nomination and stood by while others walked out.

This rejection of his father’s example, the thinking goes, is what has made Mitt a more successful presidential candidate — self-controlled but hard to pin down, flipping from moderate to conservative to moderate once again. It is observed that Mitt would never draw a line in the sand like his father did in 1964, when George dramatically "charged out of the 1964 Republican National Convention over the party's foot-dragging on civil rights," as the Boston Globe's authoritative biography, "The Real Romney," put it earlier this year. Outlets from the New York Times to the New Republic have recalled this story of the elder Romney's stand against Goldwater's hard-line conservatives. Frontline’s documentary “The Choice 2012” reported it as a formative event: “when Goldwater received the nomination, Mitt saw his father angrily storm out.” A Google search for the incident produces hundreds of pages of results. In August, Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne cited the episode to write that Mitt “has seemed more a politician who would do whatever it took to close a deal than a leader driven by conviction and commitment. This is a problem George Romney never had.”

Only George Romney did not walk out of the 1964 Republican National Convention. He stayed until the very end, formally seconding Goldwater’s eventual nomination and later standing by while an actual walkout took place. He left the convention holding open the possibility of endorsing Goldwater and then, after a unity summit in Hershey, Pennsylvania, momentarily endorsed the Arizona senator. Then he changed his mind while his top aides polled “all-white and race-conscious” Michigan communities for a “secret” white backlash vote against LBJ’s civil rights advances — a backlash that might have made a Goldwater endorsement palatable at home. Finding the Republican label even more unpopular than civil rights in Michigan, Romney ultimately distanced himself from the entire party, including his own moderate Republican allies.

More... (http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnrbohrer/making-mitt-the-myth-of-george-romney)

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 11:50 AM
1964.. against black civil rights.. sounds like the Democratic Convention.

Double check that "code".

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I love poorly informed old people.

I love retarded children.

Warriorbird
10-16-2012, 12:11 PM
I love retarded children.

Indeed. It's great that you'd been alive for a while and are still radically misinterpreting the 1964 Democratic convention to try to rationalize racism. Go full retard.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Indeed. It's great that you've been alive for a while and are still radically misinterpreting the 1964 Democratic convention to try to rationalize racism.

It's cute that you have only been alive for such a short time and already have the intellectual capacity of a grapefruit.

And I never once tried to rationalize the racism of the 1964 Democratic convention.

I may have given you more credit than you deserve. Instead of grapefruit... lets go with tangerine.

Warriorbird
10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
It's cute that you have only been alive for such a short time and already have the intellectual capacity of a grapefruit.

Right. Keep on standing up for racism. Double down.

EDIT:

Since you're a moron, your entire argument here consisted of defending George Romney with the notion that the 1964 Democratic convention was the real racist convention, thus rationalizing racism.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Right. Keep on standing up for racism. Double down.

Quote the part of my post where I said anything to do with racism on my part. You are projecting again, mental midget.

Warriorbird
10-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote the part of my post where I said anything to do with racism on my part. You are projecting again, mental midget.

Hmm. "Against black civil rights" somehow doesn't involve racism? Keep clinging like a modern Republican.

diethx
10-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I wonder if you two will ever realize how foolish you look.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Hmm. "Against black civil rights" somehow doesn't involve racism? Keep clinging like a modern Republican.

Please ask an adult what racism is.

Clue: because you post "Against black civil rights" isn't the same as "I am against black civil rights"

Stop smoking bath salts, dipshit.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 12:58 PM
I wonder if you two will ever realize how foolish you look.

You aren't using your posts as a measuring stick, are you? Because they generally have nothing to do with the topic and consist of 1 or 2 sentences of nonsense.

Back
10-16-2012, 12:59 PM

You don't smoke bath salts, old man! Try and keep up, grandpa!

Keller
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
This is what I pay for.

diethx
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
You aren't using your posts as a measuring stick, are you? Because they generally have nothing to do with the topic and consist of 1 or 2 sentences of nonsense.

smh

ClydeR
10-16-2012, 01:31 PM

1964 was the year that the South started voting Republican. Prior to that year, it was solidly for the Democrats.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
smh

gtfo

diethx
10-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I really do pity you.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 02:27 PM
I really do pity you.

I wonder if you will ever realize how foolish you look.

Warriorbird
10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
1964 was the year that the South started voting Republican. Prior to that year, it was solidly for the Democrats.

It's sad when ClydeR knows history better than somebody who was actually alive then does.

Warriorbird
10-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Please ask an adult what racism is.

Clue: because you post "Against black civil rights" isn't the same as "I am against black civil rights"

I know you're proud of your SAT score but it must really not have transferred to History or Reading classes.

Let's go for a refresher course in why you're an ill informed Archie Bunker.

You're suggesting here, because it's "hilarious" that people being against civil rights for black people in 1964 "sounds like the Democratic Convention" in a laughably stupid attempt to defend Romney's Dad.

The timing is especially laughable, given http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964 which I didn't think I had to educate you about, being as you were alive then.

It's even more timely given the recent Republican attempts to overturn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1968

But yeah, go on and defend some racism. Soon you can try to play the reverse racism card because we're so downtrodden.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I know you're proud of your SAT score but it must really not have transferred to History or Reading classes.

Let's go for a refresher course in why you're an ill informed Archie Bunker.

You're suggesting here, because it's "hilarious" that people being against civil rights for black people in 1964 "sounds like the Democratic Convention" in a laughably stupid attempt to defend Romney's Dad.

The timing is especially laughable, given http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964 which I didn't think I had to educate you about, being as you were alive then.

It's even more timely given the recent Republican attempts to overturn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1968

But yeah, go on and defend some racism. Soon you can try to play the reverse racism card because we're so downtrodden.

So, you couldn't find an adult to help you with the definition of racism.

Did you try to google it?

Warriorbird
10-17-2012, 02:21 AM
So, you couldn't find an adult to help you with the definition of racism.

Did you try to google it?

You tried to make a lame "joke" which illustrated being ignorant of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. We can keep going.