PDA

View Full Version : Military Care Packages

Tsk Tsk
10-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey everyone!

Recently my husband brought to my attention that he wanted me to see if I could throw together some care packages for two guys he works with over in Afghanistan that don’t really have anyone else to send them anything. I thought this would be a good opportunity to utilize this forum and just say hey, if you want to do something nice for a couple of troops, I know they’d appreciate it. I know you guys are awesome so hopefully we can take care of them!

I’ll list the addresses at the bottom of this but just wanted to add a few things first. Most of the things the guys over there like involve food they have limited access to. I know for a fact that SPC Wood enjoys video game themed things because he was stoked with my husband gave him some of the Mario Bros gummies I sent him. I’m sure other military (prior or current) members here can give some ideas of what to include. Both of these guys are younger and it’s their first time being deployed so they could use the support.

Things I personally suggest? Their rooms are slate grey so I sent my husband gaming posters just to add color to the walls so it doesn’t look so much like a prison cell room. They work super long hours and sometimes don’t get to shower as often as they like so I send unscented wet wipes, oil absorbing sheets, hand sanitizer and things like that. They love food and usually share the food they receive in care packages so I like to send individually wrapped things (like Mrs. Fields cookies come individually wrapped in their boxes).

As far as being concerned about shipping costs… use flat rate boxes. A large flat rate box will run you about 14 bucks so it’s not too horrible. They don’t charge international rates to APO (military) addresses so you won’t be spending a fortune on the shipping. You will have to fill out a PS 2976-A form at the post office, they usually have them lying out with the other shipping forms on one of the counters. They’re larger forms and unofficially I’m suggesting you leave out the fact that you’re sending perishables even if you are.
All right, here are the addresses.

SPC Tyler Wood
HHC/6-101 AV REGT
Bagram AF
APO AE 09354

PFC Anthony Valenti
HHC/6-101 AV REGT
Bagram AF
APO AE 09354

KneeCapper
10-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Don't forget to add big re-sealable bags of beef jerky. That stuff goes over real good with them.

Parkbandit
10-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Won't they be a little worried about getting a package from a complete stranger.. or should we tell you if we are sending something so you can give them a heads up?

I'll send them both a box

Tsk Tsk
10-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Won't they be a little worried about getting a package from a complete stranger.. or should we tell you if we are sending something so you can give them a heads up?

I'll send them both a box

I let my husband know what's up and he'll pass along where they came from, thanks so much!

Tsk Tsk
11-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Thought I'd bump this with the holidays coming up :)

Parkbandit
11-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Glad you bumped it.. because I sure haven't made any yet. :(

I'll work on them this weekend.