PDA

View Full Version : Sylvans

Drew2
07-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Ok so I was reading Sylvan history here at work because I have nothing better to do and I'd like to pose some questions to those more knowledgabe about Sylvan history than I.

Ok so like... if the magic peoples put the spell over Yuriqen to make it so no one could ever leave or go in or anything... how does that account for the Fresiawns and Tyesterons that are outside of Yuriqen? Aren't Lassaran the only ones that care to leave it?

And also, as a side note, Sylvans should get the natural ability to do that sneaky thing Rangers can do when they're in certain terrains, ok. Because I say so.

Czeska
07-19-2004, 11:07 AM
My sylvan is Lassaran. I think she should be naturally sneaky too. If she's a damn wood elf that has traveled and explored, plus being a rogue..

Yes. Sneak sneak. :yeahthat:

Artha
07-19-2004, 11:11 AM
That's why you train in hiding.

Drew2
07-19-2004, 11:14 AM
The description of Sylvans even says "Sylvans move about the woodlands and hills virtually undetected..." so I think that when we are in woodlands or hills we should be able to move about undetected.

Anyway... I'm thinking of maybe attempting to roleplay Tayre as a real Sylvan. It might be fun maybe. The only problem is I wouldn't be able to be all like "WTF U SAY TO ME???" BONE SHATTER!!!!! which makes me sad in my heart.

Drew2
07-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Artha
That's why you train in hiding.

HIDING != MOVING UNDETECTED YOU STUPID HUMAN.

Czeska
07-19-2004, 11:17 AM
She is fully trained in hiding.

I want to make rustling leaf noises or something.

/end overcaffeinated ramble

Anebriated
07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I see no reason why a sylvan wizard, cleric, warrior(which is amusing in its own way) or pretty much anyone except maybe the rangers and the rogues should be able to be naturally stealthy. It is not something you are born with. Rangers have the spell, so they are fine. Rogues have the oppertunity to triple train in hiding and then train in CMAN Shadow Mastery. I dont know why you are complaining.

Trinitis
07-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
Anyway... I'm thinking of maybe attempting to roleplay Tayre as a real Sylvan. It might be fun maybe. The only problem is I wouldn't be able to be all like "WTF U SAY TO ME???" BONE SHATTER!!!!! which makes me sad in my heart.

I'm sure most of landing, Icemule, and Solhaven will be heartbroken. ;)

Drew2
07-19-2004, 01:31 PM
omg ur retartid.

That's like saying I DON'T KNOW WHY FISH SHOULD BE ABLE TO SWIM FAST IN WATER BECAUSE THEY AREN'T BORN SWIMMING FAST AND THEY CAN'T TRIPLE TRAIN IN SWIMMING.

Sylvans live and breathe the forest. That's why I said IN CERTAIN TERRAIN they should have the ability to move stealthily.

IF THEY WEREN'T WOOD-ELF THEY'D BE PLAIN OLD STUPID ELF SO THEREFORE THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE SNEAKY IN TEH FOREST.

Drew2
07-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin

I'm sure most of landing, Icemule, and Solhaven will be heartbroken. ;)

And now, Ta'Illistim.

You have commited 7 crimes in Ta'Illistim in the past 6 moths:
7 counts of murder

(The proceeding was a recreation of my justice history since I can't play at work. It's accurate though.)

Artha
07-19-2004, 01:34 PM
omg ur retartid.

That's like saying I DON'T KNOW WHY FISH SHOULD BE ABLE TO SWIM FAST IN WATER BECAUSE THEY AREN'T BORN SWIMMING FAST AND THEY CAN'T TRIPLE TRAIN IN SWIMMING.

Sylvans live and breathe the forest. That's why I said IN CERTAIN TERRAIN they should have the ability to move stealthily.

IF THEY WEREN'T WOOD-ELF THEY'D BE PLAIN OLD STUPID ELF SO THEREFORE THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE SNEAKY IN TEH FOREST.

Sylvans suck. You'll be lucky if you get a verb, let alone the ability to sneak around in certain terrain.

Drew2
07-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Hopefully it's the ARTHAPWN verb.

Artha
07-19-2004, 01:37 PM
That's ok, but only if I can have a NASAPWN verb that makes you drop a multi-million dollar satellite.

Latrinsorm
07-19-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm fine with sylvans getting SUPER SNEAK powers in the woods so long as they have hard RT to move everywhere else. The ground's just too hard for their feet.

Drew2
07-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Not with my shoes of awesome jingliness, kthx.

Artha
07-19-2004, 01:48 PM
The hat that accompanies those shoes sure does pwn.

Drew2
07-19-2004, 01:49 PM
The hat pwns almost more than the shoes, if that is even possible.

Anebriated
07-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Tayre, If Sylvan's get a bonus when in the woods then they should not be allowed into major cities. Let them live in small outposts on the outskirts of the major towns. If a fish is born in water then they will learn to breathe underwater. They must to survive. If a sylvan is born and lives their entire life in the woods then yes, they should have a bonus. IF a sylvan spends their time in major towns just as most everyone else in the game does then why should they be given something to aid them outside of town?

Fish born in water = breathe under water
Sylvan born and raised in woods = stealthy when in the woods
Sylvan born and raised in the cities = just another wannabe elf

Latrinsorm
07-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Elrodin
Sylvan born and raised in the cities = just another wannabe elf Just another wannabe elf with jingly footware, you mean.

Czeska
07-19-2004, 02:14 PM
I think the jingling would negate the stealth.

Artha
07-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah, the hat and shoes pretty much kill any stealth you could possibly muster.

Anebriated
07-19-2004, 02:48 PM
I dunno, I think it would take alot of time to get used to Tayre actually roleplaying...

Drew2
07-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah it would.

soulglo
07-19-2004, 11:41 PM
you mean 6 months? NASA must be lowering their standards

Amberlei
07-20-2004, 12:22 AM

I can see your point, kinda, but then if sylvans got special treatment for their forestry skills, forest gnomes should be able to outsneak even sylvans in forested areas, and have an incredible innate ability to detect hiders. Likewise burghal gnomes should have the ability to sneak and hide in towns exceptionally well without any training, as they've been doing so for years.

I think the present system, wherein sylvans, forest gnomes, and anyone else has to train to do these things works best. If you want to rp a sylvan who actually has the abilities you want, you'll need to train in them the same as anyone else. I think a human, giant, dwarf, or anyone else who's spent much of their life training to hide and sneak would have to be more competent than someone who spends little time training, instead relying on the old "Well, my grandpa was a great hider, able to run through the woods quiet as a mouse, so I can too." philosophy.

Just my two cents worth. ;)

HouseofElves
07-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Sylvans suck. You'll be lucky if you get a verb, let alone the ability to sneak around in certain terrain.

Yes, they do. Their new verb should be CHITTER. So they can chitter like the little squirrels they are.

Pallon
07-21-2004, 03:14 AM
Sylvans need a FLIPOUT verb, so they can flip out and kill people like the militant xenophobes that they should be

Drew2
07-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Pallon
Sylvans need a FLIPOUT verb, so they can flip out and kill people like the militant xenophobes that they should be

I'm down with this one.

Artha
07-21-2004, 09:49 AM
>flipout
The rage begins to build within you. Soon, you feel an intense rage command your senses. It is followed by a wave of sadness, as you realise that you suck mightily.