PDA

View Full Version : OTF Crystal-edged weapons

KneeCapper
08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
I know this has come up in the past but I'm over it.

An Ithzir scout fades into view!
An Ithzir scout throws a gleaming crystal-edged longsword at you!
AS: +402 vs DS: +323 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +6 = +122
... and hits for 4 points of damage!
Thrust glances off your knee.
Might be stiff tomorrow, but it's okay now.

** An Ithzir scout's crystal-edged longsword emits a searing bolt of lightning! **

... 30 points of damage!
Electric blast goes right to the heart! You'll miss that steady beat.
The brilliant, rapidly shifting aura around you shimmers and bursts in a bright flash!
The powerful look leaves you.
You feel the aura of confidence leave you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
Your SIGN OF SWORDS is no longer effective.
You feel the inner strength leave you.
You return to normal color.
Your SIGN OF WARDING is no longer effective.
You seem to lose the thorny barrier that surrounds you.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
You no longer feel so dextrous.
The white light leaves you.
The very powerful look leaves you.
The air about you stops shimmering.
Your SIGN OF DEFLECTION is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SMITING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF DEFENDING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SHIELDS is no longer effective.
You feel less in tune with your natural surroundings.
You are no longer moving silently.
Your SIGN OF STRIKING is no longer effective.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly
aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes
you a favor.

...departing in 16 mins...
The crystal-edged longsword is lodged in your right eye!

Later......

The world before you dissolves into a grainy montage of color...

You find yourself wandering amidst endless streaming light and vast nothingness.
This place feels torn between two powers, polar opposites vying for your loyalty.
You are surrounded by the spirits of those who could not choose. The only way out seems
to be through light or darkness.

Time has no meaning as you wander aimlessly amidst the uncomfortable tugging for your
attention. Hopelessness washes over dreams you once held like the creeping tide of doom.

After what could be moments, or perhaps an eternity, the goddess Lorminstra finds you
wandering in the endless space and speaks soothingly to you. She gently reassembles
the pieces of your tattered soul and then, taking you by the hand, the goddess leads
you back to mortality...

You feel drained!
[Cottage Garden, Niche]

Obvious paths: out
>knee
You move to a kneeling position.

>inv
You are wearing a dull iron clasp, a shiny gold ring, a grass green viper skin sack,
a large gold ring, a forest green veniom-threaded gem-pouch, a Dreadnaught Alliance crest,
a black regal griffin insignia, a copper-bound rat hide badge, a wiregrass bracelet,
a wiregrass anklet, a leaf green oilcloth kerchief, a forest green viper skin longcoat,
a narrow leaf-braided harness clasped with a small wooden toggle, a dusty leaf green shirt,
a braided black leather hair tie, a silver pentagram earring, a delicate gold toe ring,
a dusty green bandana, a green leaf-shaped amulet, a small golden Paupers pin,
a dark forest green tartan kilt, some fingerless skinning gloves,
a delicate belt woven out of slender willow branches, and a green vultite round shield.
You have a gleaming crystal-edged longsword stuck in your right eye!
Type INVENTORY HELP for more options.

>get longs
You will need to remove that. It's lodged in you pretty well.
>remove longs
Bracing yourself against the pain, you grip the crystal-edged longsword and rip it
from your right eye!
Excruciating pain causes you to promptly pass out.

SO Okay Lorminstra got me all fine BUT missed the longsword stuck in my eye??????

What the longsword skipped off my knee and got stuck in my eye?????

That was a CHEAP Fade-in crit kill with a +6 endroll??????

Something needs to be adressed here post haste

Merala
08-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I used to get that in skeletal ice trolls too. Would seriously piss me off. Their flares are level based though, where as these are more about luck and what sort of awesome gear you have to protect against this stuff. They aren't going to change it. It adds an element of "fun" and "adventure" to hunting.

Gelston
08-23-2012, 07:58 PM
It adds to people bitching on LNet and me being able to troll them too!!!!!!!

Mogonis
08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Same goes for triton maguses. Arrow comes out of the shadows. Nicks you for 1 damage. Flares lightning for 1 damage. Oh, but it was your near your heart. So you dead.

stormcrow
08-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Get some lightning resistant armor. I have some plate with lightning resistance and it saves my rogue all the time from those flares.

DaCapn
08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I've never gone to OTF so I these comments come with a grain of salt:
(1) That wasn't a +6 endroll, that was a 122 endroll with a open roll of 6. Insta-kills can feel cheap because they come out of nowhere and kill every time. From what I understand, that is THE attack of that creature. It happens very often and as it happens, it has a 100% chance to hit you. You didn't have any outside spells on. A wizard spellup will reduce that endroll differential from 116 (100% chance of being hit) to 46 (<50% chance of being hit)
(2) You had 617 up so presumably you can hide. Why don't you sneak around? As a comparison, bandits usually nail my ass when they ambush me. If you can sneak around, you drastically reduce the chance that they'll ambush you.