PDA

View Full Version : How to measure AC affinity

Taernath
08-17-2003, 04:22 PM
What does your companion think of you? · on 8/17/2003 1:43:20 PM 4923

An ability to get a sense of the affinity between you and your companion has been implemented as of this afternoon. Note the key words here are "get a sense of". :) It's not going to give you hard numbers in neon lights or anything.

To do this, the ranger may GAZE at his or her companion and judge by the companion's response. I have included a list of key words below, in order of "worst to best" of the responses to help you determine where you stand with your companion:

barely contained animosity
disdain
familiarity
contentment
friendly
companionship
longtime friend
admiration
fellowship
fondness
commitment
loyalty

Additionally, it's come to my attention that some people may not be dealing with their companion correctly when they go to log out of the game. I know that Uska had posted on this a few times in the past, so I will post a reminder: If you are going to log out, and your companion is with you, please make sure to tell it to LEAVE, and wait until it does so before you exit the game. Then when you return to the game later, cast spell 630 to call it back to you. The companions do not truly get upset when you tell them to leave. They may not really want to, but they don't hold a grudge. ;)

From what I hear, some people are just logging out and then having it RETURN when they come back later. All this truly does is give you a BIG affinity hit and can easily throw you into affinity chaos from which it would take a very, very long time to recover (if you recover at all).

-Cyr

You gaze admiringly at your friend and companion, the dusky wolfhound, which returns the look with a sense of contentment.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Revalos
08-19-2003, 10:07 AM
See, I knew they'd implement this as soon as I had to take my leave from the game. Ah well, glad it finally happened.

I knew about the LEAVE thing, but my connection was so messy there'd be times where I'd get booted and not able to log in for an hour or so, I had no idea of the magnitude of the affinity hit that I'd take for a simple disco. I hope they look into this as well because I can just imagine the screaming that will go on the next time there is some kind of big boot related to alter.net or something and all the rangers have to start over from scratch on their affinity.

I hope they reset AC affinity when GS4 comes out. Yes, it might hurt some folks, but if they don't, what will happen if you don't retrain to 630? Will your companion remember you from however long ago it was that you had them when you finally do get 630 back? Well, at least I hope there is the option of an affinity reset.

I hope GS4 gets implemented soon so I can come back in a month or so and not have to deal with all the upheaval that it is going to cause.

Taernath
08-19-2003, 11:35 AM
I don't think the affinity hit is big enough to reset you to 0, but after a couple you'll probably go down a rank or two.

Catts
03-19-2013, 07:08 AM
is this still true? because that's really stupid

Asha
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Is what still true?
Affinity is a great feature. Look after your companion!
Also its a great way to hit a Ranger where it hurts if they try to fuck with you.

Androidpk
03-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Holy necro thread.

BriarFox
03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
If you're talking about the affinity hit, it's sort of true. A companion is not "saved" by the database until it's told to leave. If there's a game crash or such, your companion will revert back to its last save point. If you're working on affinity, it's best to "save" it frequently.

Drew
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Is what still true?
Affinity is a great feature. Look after your companion!
Also its a great way to hit a Ranger where it hurts if they try to fuck with you.

People who kill companions are scum.