PDA

View Full Version : Math Help

Drisco
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Anyone able to find a formula to get this?

Radius is 1.
X/Y are < 1

http://i.imgur.com/ZltP5.png

X = Formula Here
Y = Formula Here

X and Y are known.

Drisco
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
More clarity. http://i.imgur.com/iMo7p.png

Bobmuhthol
08-15-2012, 10:43 PM
They're coordinates on a unit circle, so you need to figure out the angle between x and m. p is the cosine of the angle and q is the sine.

Drisco
08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Are you able to figure it out by what is given? The purple dot?

Bobmuhthol
08-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I didn't try because I hate geometry. But I just thought about it for like 5 seconds, and you have one angle (it's a right triangle) and 2 side lengths (and the hypotenuse), so try using the Law of Cosines to solve for the angles of the triangle (in terms of x and y). The angle between x and m is the same as the angle between x and the hypotenuse because m is the midpoint of the hypotenuse -- I haven't proven it to myself but intuitively I'm pretty sure the midpoint of the hypotenuse must lie orthogonal to the midpoints of both sides.

Latrinsorm
08-15-2012, 11:54 PM
This is probably wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/johnnyoldschool/driscolulz.jpg

We set our origin at the center of the circle in the usual way: x points to the right, y points up.
We extend a purple line along the x axis to the edge of the circle. This is a radius and therefore of unit length. Therefore p + x0 = 1, where x0 is the little bit that extends past the blue line q, so...
1 - x0 = p

We can also say that q^2 + x0^2 = h^2, where h is the dark red line. We know that q is perpendicular to x because q is by definition wholly on the y axis and x0 is by definition wholly on the x axis.

We can finally say that p^2 + q^2 = 1 because they coordinates on the unit circle.

We call angle A the angle formed by x and the original black radius. We then know that sin(A/2) = h / 2.
We call angle B the angle formed in the lower right corner where x meets the original black hypotenuse. By definition tan(B) = y/x.
Because the black radius bisects the hypotenuse, A = B, so...
h = 2 * sin(arctan[y/x]/2)
And because y and x are known we know h as well, so now we take...

x0^2 = h^2 - q^2
x0^2 = h^2 - (1 - p^2)
x0^2 = h^2 - (1 - (1 - x0)^2)
And now we factor...
x0^2 = h^2 - (1 - (1 - 2*x0 + x0^2))
x0^2 = h^2 - (1 - 1 + 2*x0 - x0^2)
x0^2 = h^2 - (2*x0 - x0^2)
x0^2 = h^2 - 2*x0 + x0^2
2*x0 = h^2
x0 = h^2 / 2

And now we know x0 as well, so we turn back around and do...
p = 1 - x0
q = sqrt(1 - p^2) or sqrt(h^2 - x0^2) if you prefer.

In very long form, this would be...
p = 1 - 2 * sin(arctan[y/x]/2)^2

To check ourselves, we should have p -> 0 as x -> 0. As x -> 0, we have arctan(infinity) which returns pi/2 or -pi/2. The sine of pi/4 is 1/sqrt(2), which when squared gives us 1/2, and 1 - 2 * 1/2 = 0 MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Further, we should have p -> 1 as y -> 0. arctan(0) returns 0, the sine of 0/2 is 0, 0 squared is 0, 2 * 0 is 0, 1 - 0 is 1.

Wheelerm
08-16-2012, 12:40 AM
I don't think this answers the question. He needs a formula for x and a formula for y. This is basically the proof of angles in a unit circle. Laws of sine and cosine. I've been drinking tonight, so probably not much help here, but if you imagine a line extending from the origin to p=1, q=0, x would equal 1. Likewise, when q=1 and p=0, y=1. For any arbitrary p and q between these points, x is a function of p and y is a function of q.

Since p will always be the cosine of theta (theta being the angle between x and m) and q will always be The sine of theta, then x must be m*cos (theta). Similarly, y must be m*sin(theta).

Latrinsorm
08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't think this answers the question. He needs a formula for x and a formula for y. This is basically the proof of angles in a unit circle. Laws of sine and cosine. I've been drinking tonight, so probably not much help here, but if you imagine a line extending from the origin to p=1, q=0, x would equal 1. Likewise, when q=1 and p=0, y=1. For any arbitrary p and q between these points, x is a function of p and y is a function of q.

Since p will always be the cosine of theta (theta being the angle between x and m) and q will always be The sine of theta, then x must be m*cos (theta). Similarly, y must be m*sin(theta).x and y are givens, he said.

Anyway, a new solution came to me in a dream last night.

Angle A = Angle B
tan(angle A) = tan(angle B)
q/p = y/x

And we recall that p^2 + q^2 = 1 and substitute...
p^2 + p^2*(y/x)^2 = 1
p^2 = 1 / (1 + (y/x)^2)

Similarly...
q^2 = 1 / (1 + (x/y)^2)

A little neater than my last solution, plus it won't be as obvious that you didn't do it if you copy it.

BUT WHAT'S REALLY COOL is that they're both right, so...
1 / (1 + (y/x)^2) = 1 - 2 * sin(arctan[y/x]/2)^2

Isn't that cool? That's pretty cool.

Androidpk
08-16-2012, 05:07 PM
As cool as a one legged ninja or a blind sniper.