PDA

View Full Version : NEW VERB - ROLEPLAY

theotherjohn
07-10-2004, 02:50 PM
HSN WEEK 5: NEW VERB - ROLEPLAY

So you're hunting some orcs, slaying the foul beasts and laughing at their pitiful attempt to stop you. Waves and waves of them are coming at you, and with a flick of the wrist, you utterly destroy them. Power is flowing through your very veins, and you feel that the Arkati are fools for not allowing you to their swanky cocktail parties.

But wait! Suddenly...you notice someone roleplaying above and beyond the call of duty! But you hesitate to use REPORT for fear of bolts echoing from the heavens! Whatever shall you do?!?

Well, your worries are over. Using ROLEPLAY NOMINATE, you can now alert GameMasters to excellent roleplaying. You can nominate perfect strangers, your friends--even yourself!

It is best to nominate players for good roleplaying during the action, not afterwards, so that the GameMasters may get a good view of what's going on.

theotherjohn
07-10-2004, 02:51 PM
> roleplay nominate artiminus
To nominate someone currently engaged in excellent roleplaying, type:
ROLEPLAY NOMINATE <name> <reason>.
> roleplay nominate artiminus roleplaying hunting
You are nominating yourself for good roleplaying for the following reason: "roleplaying hunting"
You are nominating yourself for good roleplaying for the following reason: "roleplaying hunting"
>

Artha
07-10-2004, 02:51 PM
...I thought this was a joke when I read the title.

theotherjohn
07-10-2004, 02:53 PM
roleplay nominate artiminus roleplaying resting from hunting
You are nominating yourself for good roleplaying for the following reason: "roleplaying resting from hunting"
> roleplay nominate artiminus roleplaying resting from hunting
You are nominating yourself for good roleplaying for the following reason: "roleplaying resting from hunting"

SEND[Brauden] that's enough

>
>

SEND[Taelrand] That's great, but knock it off.

Artha
07-10-2004, 02:57 PM
rofl. Poor GMs.

xShadowMerchantx
07-10-2004, 03:05 PM
LOL LOL LOL

theotherjohn
07-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Artha
...I thought this was a joke when I read the title.

my post on Simus board cause I feel the same as you

is this a joke?

not only do you give out RPAs but now this.

Everyone agrees to the following:

"GemStone IV is a Role-playing Game. This means that players interact in the world playing the part of their characters in a medieval fantasy environment. This is known as "in character" (IC) and means that the player is acting out the part believably. The term "out of character" (OOC) means that the player is behaving inconsistently with their character's situation in the game (such as discussing the latest sports event, singing the latest music release, playing the part of a starship captain, or communicating in French, Swahili or any earthly language other than English (Elanthia's Common tongue).

Players are expected to remain in character. Generally, if someone wants or needs to be OOC (such as explain game mechanics to another player), they may do so in ways that are not in public. Using a private room (one with a locked or latched door) or talking in whispers is recommended. Note that tables are considered in public."

I feel you should not award someone for doing what is expected and required of them. If anything you need a report character OOC why verb.

"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough."
-Bede Jarrett

Artha
07-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I feel you should not award someone for doing what is expected and required of them. If anything you need a report character OOC why verb.

I agree, though I like RPAs. I just think these will end up being like the golden kobolds...friends nominate each other, get RPAs once in awhile, and repeat the process.

Chadj
07-10-2004, 05:39 PM
lé lol

Wezas
07-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Klaive:
> roleplay nominate Kurapira Excellent Roleplaying
You are nominating Kurapira for good roleplaying for the following reason: "Excellent Roleplaying"

Kurapira:
> roleplay nominate Klaive Excellent Roleplaying
You are nominating Klaive for good roleplaying for the following reason: "Excellent Roleplaying"

(repeat until gods complain)

Chadj
07-10-2004, 06:19 PM
omfg lol.

Latrinsorm
07-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Artiminus is cool.

Also, poor GM's. :( I really hope one of them saw this coming, cuz otherwise they're dumb as bricks.

Wezas
07-10-2004, 06:58 PM
They should:
1) log all requests
2) not allow multiple requests at once (or allow 3 max, something like that)
3) not allow people to nominate themselves more then once per week
4) not allow someone to nominate someone else if they had already done so within the last week (all characters on that account cannot nominate the person more then once a week collectively)
5) if someone gets enough RP nominations (a few within a minute or two) the GM/GH's should take a peek in on them and if they seem to be RPing well, then they should be awarded.

Nieninque
07-10-2004, 07:01 PM
people shouldnt ever be able to nominate themselves

Bobmuhthol
07-10-2004, 08:13 PM
<<5) if someone gets enough RP nominations (a few within a minute or two) the GM/GH's should take a peek in on them and if they seem to be RPing well, then they should be awarded.>>

And this is where MAing/password sharing kicks in.

Nieninque
07-10-2004, 08:37 PM
It's a sucky idea

HarmNone
07-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Like so many things they come up with, this is a good idea on first thought. However, once examined, the abuse factors begin to make themselves clear.

I can understand the GMs wanting to find a way to make it easier to spot good roleplaying and reward it. There are not enough of them to watch everybody 24/7, and this would give them more "eyes". However, as is shown in the first post in this thread, it WILL be abused in as many ways as people can think of to abuse it.

HarmNone

Blazing247
07-10-2004, 09:26 PM
p.s. Roleplay is dead.

The Cat In The Hat
07-11-2004, 12:00 AM
Good Idea, but they need to place restrictions on things like this, I think you shouldnt be able to nominate yourself, and you should be limited to once a week at most to nominate someone.

Cat

Mistomeer
07-11-2004, 12:03 AM
You should get 3 chances to nominate someone a year and the staff should only take action if someone was nominated X number of times. That way, when someone keeps getting nominated on a regular basis, they can be fairly certian it's worthwhile.

Edaarin
07-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Was there any need to rapid-fire nominate like that...twice?

I think you made your point the first time. That's something I would expect Bob to do, not a grown man.

Mistomeer
07-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Edaarin

I think you made your point the first time. That's something I would expect Bob to do, not a grown man.

I think it's funny.

Caiylania
07-11-2004, 02:00 AM
It will be interesting to see how long this lasts before major changes happen to it. Though the idea itself is nice. I've seen people rping really well and this is a good way to give them some credit.

:beer: Here is to hoping it works... a little.

theotherjohn
07-11-2004, 03:18 AM

yes

You compared me to Bob? Should I say I am crushed and hurt Bob. Or Should I say finally I am leet like Bob?

actually I planned on rapid firing nominating 20 times for everything I did in the game until I got bored of doing it

why? to prove how stupid this verb is

Scott
07-11-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

yes

You compared me to Bob? Should I say I am crushed and hurt Bob. Or Should I say finally I am leet like Bob?

actually I planned on rapid firing nominating 20 times for everything I did in the game until I got bored of doing it

why? to prove how stupid this verb is

The verb isn't stupid if it isn't abused, such as what you did right there.....

That was sort of Klaivish.

Bobmuhthol
07-11-2004, 03:31 AM
No, this is Klaivish

[Link removed as it's against TOS policy.]

[Edited on 7/14/2004 by CrystalTears]

Blazing247
07-11-2004, 04:47 AM
HAHAHHAHA ROFL. I dunno if it's cause I'm drunk or the picture of her licking that lollipop, but that shit is funny!

Bobmuhthol
07-11-2004, 05:12 AM
I was laughing so hard when I recorded the sound clip. Klaive and Teeoncy lose very, very hard.

gcstader
07-11-2004, 05:15 AM
who is that girl

Artha
07-11-2004, 05:19 AM
Teeoncy's cousin or something.

[Edited on 7-11-2004 by Artha]

07-11-2004, 05:23 AM
Teeoncy is still around?

theotherjohn
07-11-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by RangerD1
Teeoncy is still around?

yes. I saw her in the EN

Nieninque
07-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Funny Bob :lol:

Back on topic...when do people think it is appropriate for someone to nominate themselves for RP? (for those that do)

Whenever I think about this new verb, Vishra springs to mind..."look at me I'm great"

gcstader
07-11-2004, 06:17 AM
<< Teeoncy's cousin or something >>

She posted a pic of her cousin?

Artha
07-11-2004, 06:21 AM
Yes, and she said they were her.

07-11-2004, 06:27 AM
I meant, shes still around as in frequently boards and shit like that

HarmNone
07-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Haven't seen her on the boards in quite some time, Ranger...unless she has adopted a new name and vastly improved behaviors. ;)

HarmNone

Parkbandit
07-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Blazing247
p.s. Roleplay is dead.

Roleplay is as dead as you make it.

StrayRogue
07-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Good idea. People have already shown how they will abuse it though. The idiots always ruin stuff for the rest.

DianaBanana
07-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Hehehe funny website. :shibby:

As for roleplay, it can be hard to find in the game.

DeV
07-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DianaBanana
Hehehe funny website. :shibby:

As for roleplay, it can be hard to find in the game. Depends on where you're looking. I have to agree with that statement for the most part.

Shalla
07-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Also, poor GM's. :( I really hope one of them saw this coming, cuz otherwise they're dumb as bricks.

I mean why are they considered dumb for implementing this though? All they're doing is to give us the oppurtunity to nominate our friends for doing excellent roleplay, and to encourage further roleplaying.

It is up up to us if we abuse it. Why do we do that?

Latrinsorm
07-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Lady Shalla
I mean why are they considered dumb for implementing this though?I said they would be dumb if they didn't see something like TOJ's actions coming. Here's why:

Everything that can be abused, will be abused.

CrystalTears
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't say dumb, but I don't think they thought this through when they implemented this.

Very few people will actually use it correctly. The rest will use it to nominate their friends and themselves, regardless of whether they deserve it or not.

The thought of them actually giving out RPAs to everyone who gets nominated will really render the whole RPA concept useless, if it wasn't already considered that anyway.

They should just nix the RPA system, especially with the XXX feature in play. It's a crutch for people to use for when their roleplay is challenged and they follow up with "but I've gotten 7 RPA, I'm loved as a roleplayer". As if we need those comments declared more often. :rolleyes:

Shalla
07-14-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure they thought about the possibilities of it being abused, and will take certain actions if for example TOJ persisted after being warned.

Artha
07-14-2004, 01:17 PM
It'll end up being like the Golden Kobold folder. But for GMs only.

Jorddyn
07-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohnwhy? to prove how stupid this verb is

I can report 500 times in a row (Well, I can't, but people can). Is that a stupid verb?

I can sit in the park and jump or scream or do a long act 500 times in a row. Does that make it a stupid verb?

The only thing you proved is something that didn't need proven - there are more than enough pains in the ass in Gemstone. Don't like the verb? Don't use it. If others do enjoy it and do use it, what harm does it cause you?

Jorddyn

Bobmuhthol
07-14-2004, 01:59 PM
It's not a stupid verb because it doesn't have a wait time. It's a stupid verb because it's stupid and sucks.

Bobmuhthol
07-14-2004, 02:02 PM
<<All they're doing is to give us the oppurtunity to nominate our friends for doing excellent roleplay>>

Actually, the purpose of it is to nominate good roleplayers for excellent roleplay.

Shalla
07-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Smart ass. That's what I mean't :bite: <3 bob

Jorddyn
07-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
It's not a stupid verb because it doesn't have a wait time. It's a stupid verb because it's stupid and sucks.

There's no need for it to have a wait time. If I see ten people during the course of a day who are engaged in excellent roleplay, I should be able to nominate them all.

Saying this verb is stupid because people will abuse it is like saying the Golden Gate Bridge is stupid because people jump off it, or spray paint is stupid because people can use it to get high. The verb is not stupid. The people who abuse it are.

Jorddyn

Edited to say I misread Bob's post. I thought he said it was stupid because it doesn't have a wait time. Nope, he said it is stupid because it is stupid. I guess I can't argue with "logic" such as that.

[Edited on 7-14-2004 by Jorddyn]