PDA

View Full Version : Knee replacement

Betheny
07-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Recently, my grandfather had his right knee replaced. I don't know how much any of you know about this particular procedure, but the hype about it can be very negative. Many of the people who receive an artificial knee end up handicapped for life.

The reason for this is because it is a very, very painful surgery -- and the ONLY way to come through it with a positive outcome is to brave the pain and walk on the thing -- do your physical therapy, even if it makes you scream it hurts so bad. Not using the artificial knee is more crippling than having it installed in the first place.

At any rate, my grandfather is 1 month out from his surgery, and he isn't even using a cane or a walker. He's doing just fine. He's... jeez, probably 80, and in remakably good health. I just thought I'd try to dispel some of the stigma of this particular procedure -- I know a lot of people have a negative image of it. But in reality it's a very good, and helpful, thing, if you need it.

The end!

Souzy
07-10-2004, 04:58 PM
TKR? I think if he does his PT he'll be fine. It's gonna take him a bit to recover seeing that he's about 80 years old. I've seen many pt's recover quite well after a TKR or knee replacement.