PDA

View Full Version : Yale/New Haven

07-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Gah.

Everyone at Yale medical center makes me feel scared, even the hot intern chicks are super braniacal.

Um...

I took pictures because I don't own a digital camera.

If you give three and three quarters of a turd, I will post them once I find out how to turn kodak film into digi film.

:weirdthread:

07-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Oh, Bar's pizza is off the HIZZY.

07-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Too many Red Sux fans though :no:

Izadriel
07-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Don't forget Ashley's Ice Cream.. just suttin' about hot girls and great icecream. :smilegrin:

07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
OMG, I TOTALORZ JUST WACHED A TROPHOBLAST GO THROUGH MITOSIS UNDER A PHASE CONTRAST MICROSCOPE MY PEEPZ. IT WAS LOW CONDESE FETAL BOVINE SERUM! HAWHAWHAWHAWHAW.

P.S. I am the sux0r

Latrinsorm
07-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Stanley, please stop bringing down the Coherency Index of my state. Thx.

07-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Sorry bro.

Latrinsorm
07-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
Sorry bro. 'Scool d00d.

Galleazzo
07-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Yale ain't bad.

Now New Haven sucks real bad. The only reason New Haven isn't the armpit of New England is that ... urr ... I guess it is!

Jazuela
07-10-2004, 08:28 AM
New Haven - from a born-and-bred's point of view:

Sung to the tune of "Electric Avenue"

We gonna rock down to Congress Avenue
And watch them steal your tires. Oh oh!

----

Crack houses, junkie clutches, homeless "tent homes" on the Green in the winter (it's actually a well-organized protest, and damned civilized but it looks kinda funky)

Inner city kids who can't read or write, but manage to produce some artistic masterpieces with spray paint on store walls. (I ain't kiddin either - this graffiti is brilliant stuff and some of the store owners refuse to paint over the work)

THE Q BRIDGE - a monstrosity interstate junction that spans over a river.

The elitist Annex on the other side of the Q which tries to secede every decade or two, until it realizes it has no grounds to incorporate itself.

From the bad, to the silly, to the gorgeous:

Yale University. Walking around makes you feel as though you've stepped into medieval Europe. Try checking out the gargoyles and other sculptures built into some of the 18th century buildings some time.

The spring, summer, and fall festivals! Arts and Ideas, Taste of New Haven, Octoberfest, Jazz Fest, Concerts on the Green.

Wooster Square - once nothing more than the tiny community of poor Italian immigrants - now one of the most significant tourist attractions in New England.

Edited to add: Wooster Square is the reason us New Haveners laugh whenever someone dares to imply that Pizza Hut has good pizza, or that they actually LIKE "italian ice" that they buy in supermarkets.

The Peabody Museum - nifty place - looks like an old castle outside - a natural sciences exhibition inside.

Dozens of art galleries and museums, in particular Yale museum of Fine Art - where else can you go to see Gaugin and Matisse, up close and personal, for a buck?

The Beineke Library - this hideous looking building that totally doesn't belong downtown, but manages to attract the eye and curiosity - all because its windows are made out of solid slabs of MARBLE which you can see in and out of during various times of day.

Frisbee - yep folks, it all started right here, thanks to the nearby Frisbee Pie company and a bunch of whacky Yalies.

Toad's Place - where you can go on a Thursday night for 50-cent beer on tap and DJ music, only to be surprised out of your socks when the Rolling Stones show up for an unannounced concert (yes, I was there for that one, and yes, impromptu appearances by world-famous bands are not all that uncommon!)

Claire's Corner-Copia - monster salads, orgasmic carrot cake and chocolate trifle and "You're shittin me - THIS is a vegetarian restaurant?" quality food.

Edited to add: Claire is a real person - she's the older lady with the apron and sweat on her face walking around giving people hugs (including her employees) and asking you if your cat recovered from surgery, or consoling you on losing a job, or bringing you your lunch with a weary but cheerful smile, or giving you an extra home-made, still-hot-from-the-oven personal-sized loaf of bread to congratulate you on your engagement. People come for the food, sure - it's the best. But they also come to see Claire. She rocks everyone's world!

Mamoun's Falafel Palace - best home-made hummus outside of Syria, and only closed one day a year, and open til 4 in the morning.

Mamoun's again - where you'll eavesdrop on international dignitaries visiting the country at the table to your right, Yale professors debating with their colleagues behind you, a table of locals to your left discussing the stupidity of city government decisions to your left, and in front of you a table of Doctorate Degree candidates here on student visas having an animated conversation in four different languages at the same time.

That's my impression of New Haven - as someone who's spent most of her life there.

The bad is the same bad as everywhere else in the country. But the good - you won't find it anywhere else in the world!

[Edited on 7-10-2004 by Jazuela]

[Edited on 7-10-2004 by Jazuela]

07-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Heh.

The jazzfest was taking place outside of the medical center yesterday. The smells, sights and sounds are kickass.

DianaBanana
07-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Hehehe I remember back in college I went to visit my friend Jamillah. She took me to see Yale and as we're walking around a bum approached us. He was like "Hey ladies..got any cash? I accept credit cards as well." Anyway, she grabbed on to my arm and started running.

Ahhhh memories.

07-12-2004, 03:09 AM
She ran? wtf?