PDA

View Full Version : Boomsplat

Scott
07-08-2004, 01:11 PM
This is something I saw posted on the official boards, and I know a fair number of people do not look there so..... I figured I'd post it here if anyone is interested.

Originally Posted by Larktrill on the official boards

Simutronics has authorized a project to help Boomsplat:

As some of you know, Boomsplat?s player is extremely ill. Trying to cope with his sickness and medical payments has forced him to leave many pleasures, including Gemstone, behind.

Because Boomsplat has been such a fine friend to so many people, and such a source of joy in our community, Simutronics, and his friends, are trying to help him find a way to reach the sanctuary of Elanthia where he once again can be the amazingly strong, brave, funny and at times downright heroic rogue we?ve all grown to love. (One of the wonderful things about on-line gaming, after all, is that it is a place where people with physical infirmities can be released from their limitations and become the stuff their dreams are made of.)

Melissa has arranged for Boomsplat to have a lifetime free account so he can join us whenever he is able. The only difficulty is Boom does not have a computer he can play on any longer, and does not have the funds to purchase one. An account to collect Gift of Adventure donations for Boomsplat has been set up at Simutronics, the account is BOOMSPLATDONATE, and the link to GOA is https://www.play.net/gs4/goa/home.asp you will need to sign in from the http://www.play.net/gs4/ web sight first. Simutronics is doing all they can go get him a nice computer at a reasonable price.

If insufficient funds are collected for the computer, Simutronics will return all donations to the accounts from which they came. I will be happy to set up a yahoo group to keep those interested in the progress of the fund raising efforts. Send your e?mail address to lady-larktrill@play.net if you would like to be included in the group.

Trinitis
07-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Huh.

I'd be willing to help out if I was not scrappin for money myself. Maybe if I find an extra $20 sittin around I'll donate.

Best wishes to Boomsplat. I really do like the PC in GS. Wishing you well bud (if you ever see this.)

-Adredrin

Sean
07-08-2004, 01:20 PM
I like Boom as a character, I'm just curious what makes his circumstance special?

Edited to add, I guess I thought it went without saying, but I wish his player the best in whatever recovery options he has available to him.

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by Tijay]

StrayRogue
07-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Please give all you can. I've never met anyone who couldn't find something likable about Boom.

DeV
07-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Although I've never met him in game I wish him the best of luck. I'll see what I can come up with.

Trinitis
07-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Tijay
I like Boom as a character, I'm just curious what makes his circumstance special?

Edited to add, I guess I thought it went without saying, but I wish his player the best in whatever recovery options he has available to him.

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by Tijay]

I'd be willing to bet its the PC. Everyone I know in GS whos ever interacted with Boomsplat had a blast. He is extreamly well know, and loved by everyone I can think of (I'm sure there is someone somewhere that will inform me they hate Boomsplat, just to proove me wrong [Bob] but you catch my drift).

Boom is a loveable, likeable, well RPed Rogue (who stole my damn cookie! Bastard!).

-Adredrin

Wezas
07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Best of wishes to Boomsplat. I may donate some as I just cancelled my DAoC account. Luckily GS4 isn't a very graphic intensive game. I can run it (and instant messenger at the same time) on my Windows 95 - 75mhz laptop w/ 12mb RAM.

http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/Laptop001.jpg

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by Wezas]

07-08-2004, 01:40 PM
*Drizzsdt was just vaporized!

PLEASE DONATE!

Edaarin
07-08-2004, 01:43 PM
I thought this was started like a month or two ago?

Parkbandit
07-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell

PLEASE DONATE!

Your social ignorance really is deafening.

ON TOPIC, what about us donating together from the PC Forums? I bet we could contribute quite a bit.

Hell, maybe we could donate silvers to sell and give that? I'll give 5 million (which is what.. like $60?)

Bobmuhthol
07-08-2004, 01:45 PM
<<I've never met anyone who couldn't find something likable about Boom.>>

I killed him on the boulder and he wouldn't shut the fuck up about it for half an hour, then he WARN INTERACTed.

Edaarin
07-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I think that's a great idea PB.

Someone want to be in charge of this?

Wezas
07-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Someone want to be in charge of this?

<points at Kranar & CT>
:D

Scott
07-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
I thought this was started like a month or two ago?

I have no clue. All I noticed was a post in the last few days from Larktrill in the OTF folder. It may have been going on for a while now, but this is the first I've heard of it.... seems like this is the first a lot of people have heard about it.

07-08-2004, 01:50 PM
PLEASE DONATE!

He is the best gladatorial games candidate for a donation, especially since Drizzsdt was talking about how he let him win, and now that I know he's sufferinng from an illness, I think I'll toss 15 bucks at him. I hope he does well, we need people like Boom to castigate a few idiots.

Hulkein
07-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Best of wishes to Boomsplat. I may donate some as I just cancelled my DAoC account. Luckily GS4 isn't a very graphic intensive game. I can run it (and instant messenger at the same time) on my Windows 95 - 75mhz laptop w/ 12mb RAM.

Yeah... I mean I could probably send him an old computer capable of running GS.

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by Hulkein]

AnticorRifling
07-08-2004, 02:08 PM
I can get him a computer.

Czeska
07-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I've met Boom at Simucon twice, he was great to talk to. Saw him this past June, he just popped in to say hi, didn't stay. I didn't know he was ill, just knew he wasn't around.

As far as what makes his circumstance special, I'm guessing some awesome friends.

xShadowMerchantx
07-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

I killed him on the boulder and he wouldn't shut the fuck up about it for half an hour, then he WARN INTERACTed.

Do you get along with anyone?

Trinitis
07-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by xShadowMerchantx

Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

Do you get along with anyone?

No, he don't. It may SEEM like he is getting along with someone, but sooner or later he will piss them off (or they will upset him, and he will start acting "Bobish" and piss them off anyway). Heh.

Xcalibur
07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
What's his sickness?

Is it a deadly one?

Atlanteax
07-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
What's his sickness?

Is it a deadly one?

Last I heard, he's struggling through Chemo... I believe it's cancer.

Chadj
07-08-2004, 04:05 PM
If I had $700, i'd make him a brand new, kickass computer without hesitation. Boomsplat is awesome.

Alas, after my recent weekend binge, I'm left with $5.21 :(

xShadowMerchantx
07-08-2004, 04:11 PM
I've never seen any kind of support like this from Simu or its players really. Its a good feeling to know that the community pulled together for one of their own, every time I interacted with him he was always very funny and it seems like he was a great guy all around.

Hopefully things will work out.

GSAuctionPlace
07-08-2004, 04:12 PM
I had no idea they were raising money for this...I plan to make a donation this afternoon.

If you guys are serious about donating silvers, I'd be willing to raise the price I normally purchase silvers for, for people that would like to donate.

HarmNone
07-08-2004, 04:31 PM
I have no silvers and no GemStone account, but would be glad to donate dollars to help Boomsplat's player. I am wondering, however, if donations might be better spent on helping to defray his medical expenses. Not knowing the situation, I'm not privy to what his needs might be.

While having a computer would help to fill long hours with nothing to do, I would want to ensure that his basic needs, with regard to food, clothing, medical care, etc. are being met first. In honesty, whether or not he can play GemStone may be the least of his worries. :(

Boomsplat was always a joy to be around. If anyone knows more about this situation, or can find out, perhaps we can direct the help we can generate here toward meeting the needs Boomsplat's player feels are most pressing.

HarmNone, very concerned

vigilante
07-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Pretty decent shot of the player of Boomsplat and his friend at Simucon in June (thanks Augie):

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/augieauction/detail?.dir=/9183&.dnm=65b4.jpg

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by vigilante]

AnticorRifling
07-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Better pic:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/augieauction/detail?.dir=/9183&.dnm=4d0a.jpg&.src=ph

Wezas
07-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Nice Tattoo!

And I wouldn't kick the girl out of bed.

vigilante
07-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Better pic:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/augieauction/detail?.dir=/9183&.dnm=4d0a.jpg&.src=ph

Heh, I did see that one but didn't know if it would get pulled ... agreed. Better.

xShadowMerchantx
07-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Dang I need to go to Simucon..

Straight-up
07-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I believe for those of you who are suggesting builing or giving a computer that he needs a laptop for use while in the hospital. From what I gathered he has terminal lung cancer and due to not being able to work has no money to afford Gemstone. Now, if anyone has a laptop they can donate...

Straight

07-08-2004, 07:01 PM
That's fucked up

Souzy
07-08-2004, 07:06 PM
So sad :( Never met Boom though, just seen him around, he seems pretty funny. Hope all goes well for him!

HarmNone
07-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Straight-up
I believe for those of you who are suggesting builing or giving a computer that he needs a laptop for use while in the hospital. From what I gathered he has terminal lung cancer and due to not being able to work has no money to afford Gemstone. Now, if anyone has a laptop they can donate...

Straight

Thanks, Straight! That clears up my questions. Hopefully, somebody has a laptop they can donate. If not, we should be able to get some donations toward one.

HarmNone

07-08-2004, 07:15 PM
So sad Never met Boom though, just seen him around, he seems pretty funny. Hope all goes well for him!

Straight-Up, did he even get a prognosis for survival or did you absolutely know for a fact that it's terminal. If so, I reiterate my last post.

Straight-up
07-08-2004, 07:41 PM
I believe he has been fighting it for a while now and it doesn't really look good for a long term prognosis.

Straight

HarmNone
07-08-2004, 08:13 PM
That is very, very sad to hear. Boomsplat's player is too damned young to be dying. Even though I deal with death daily, as part of my work, this leaves me feeling very empty, and angry. I'm just so very, very sorry.

HarmNone, again wishing this world had empaths and clerics like Elanthia

Betheny
07-08-2004, 08:44 PM
That's horrible. Boom the character is a riot, and Boom's player is one of those rare, genuinely fun, nice people you don't get to meet every day. I wish I had some money to contribute. But I don't. But if there's anything I can do, I get a little time now and then, I'd be willing to help out coordinating your silver selling efforts or something, though there are people out there that are far better suited for such things.

Czeska
07-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I just donated. I don't have an extra working laptop, but I can sure spare a few bucks. I'm also passing the word on.

HarmNone
07-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Czeska. There are a lot of people in the game who never read the official boards, much less these boards. Yet, so many know Boomsplat. If we can get the word out and about, I'll bet there will be many who will donate. :)

HarmNone

Artha
07-08-2004, 09:15 PM
I have a laptop I wouldn't mind donating. It has a problem with the internet, but I think that might just be me not knowing wtf I'm doing. It's got an ethernet port, and has Windows 98 installed on it. It hasn't been on the internet much, so it's pretty sterile.

It's not great, but it can probably run GS.

xShadowMerchantx
07-08-2004, 09:38 PM
If you've got it there I can give you step by step instructions on how to diagnose and possibly fix any issues...

Let me know

- some tech support guy

xShadowMerchantx
07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I'd start by going to device manager and just make sure there are no red x's or !'s

HarmNone
07-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Whee! You know what? I love you guys!:loveu:

HarmNone knows the PC can work wonders

Straight-up
07-08-2004, 09:44 PM
I would just ship said laptop to Simu. They can probably fix it right up.

Straight

Artha
07-08-2004, 09:55 PM
If you've got it there I can give you step by step instructions on how to diagnose and possibly fix any issues...

Only thing that really doesn't work is the internet, and that's probably fixable. The DivX codecs and such aren't up to date either, I think. Other than that, there's not really much on it.

HarmNone
07-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Yeah. Straight's right. You can probably ship it to Melissa or David, and they'll get it fixed if it needs fixing. Just hang a big note on it saying it's for Boomsplat's player.

If you need money to ship it, just let me know, Artha. :)

HarmNone

Artha
07-08-2004, 09:58 PM
I'll talk to my dad tomorrow morning and see.

Ilvane
07-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I'm sure as some of you who had met Boom in past years, you could see the difference with him when you saw him this year.

He's a great guy, and I'm horribly sad that he's so sick. I couldn't believe how everyone just rallied right around him at Simucon, though and now that it's been posted, how so many people are willing to make his life better while he is sick.

I wish to God that the cancer would just disappear, more than anything, though.

:sigh:

-A

larktrill
07-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes, boomsplat is very ill.

I have posted a note to several folders, including the Rogues Banter on the GS Forums if you want to see how to donate.

As far as offers of computers, that is great. If you want to e'mail me at lady-larktrill@play.net I will get your offer and info the the guy on sight in St. Louis who is coordinating this, and he can (I imagine) arrange to get Boom and the computer together. If this does not work, the donations have been amazing today, if my e'mail is any indication.

We are trying for a laptop computer since most hospitals are computer friendly these days, and he can use it there.

The response has been amazing. I will be posting updates in the rogue banter folder, so if you want to keep up with the progess, that is a good spot.

I was going to set up a Yahoo mailgroup for this, but I have the feeling by the time it is set-up Boom may have his computer and be set to go.

Huge hugs and thanks again.

Larks

HarmNone
07-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Larktrill, where can people like myself, who no longer play but still would like to help, send their donations?

HarmNone

Izalude
07-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Adhara and I submitted a donation to Boomsplat earlier today. I was just thinking to myself the other day wondering what happened to him... He just kind of vanished back in February... He's a great guy! I love interacting with him, and ESPECIALLY feeding him cookies.

Artha
07-09-2004, 02:45 AM
As far as offers of computers, that is great. If you want to e'mail me at lady-larktrill@play.net I will get your offer and info the the guy on sight in St. Louis who is coordinating this, and he can (I imagine) arrange to get Boom and the computer together.

I'll send you an email in a minute or two, then.

Atlanteax
07-09-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by larktrill
Yes, boomsplat is very ill.

I have posted a note to several folders, including the Rogues Banter on the GS Forums if you want to see how to donate.

As far as offers of computers, that is great. If you want to e'mail me at lady-larktrill@play.net I will get your offer and info the the guy on sight in St. Louis who is coordinating this, and he can (I imagine) arrange to get Boom and the computer together. If this does not work, the donations have been amazing today, if my e'mail is any indication.

We are trying for a laptop computer since most hospitals are computer friendly these days, and he can use it there.

The response has been amazing. I will be posting updates in the rogue banter folder, so if you want to keep up with the progess, that is a good spot.

I was going to set up a Yahoo mailgroup for this, but I have the feeling by the time it is set-up Boom may have his computer and be set to go.

Huge hugs and thanks again.

Larks

I saw him at Con in St. Louis... he was more friendly than he usually was.

He looked pale, but I did not know then that he was fighting cancer... :( ... would had made more of an effort of talking with him instead of being whisked away.

I tossed in a donation as well.

Mint
07-09-2004, 04:08 AM
I donated but I am hoping that any of the money donated that is over and above the amount required to get him set up with his laptop is given directly to him to help defray his other costs.

Artha
07-09-2004, 04:10 AM
It's so cool when a community, especially one as diverse and far-flung as this one, rallies behind a member when they're having particularly tough times.

07-09-2004, 04:52 AM
He has awesome eye color alteration, I think it was like "chocolate-chip brown eyes."

Again, cancer is a bitch. Fuck cancer.

Ilvane
07-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Yeah, we were all talking during the mentor meeting, and it's amazing how people just jump up and offer to help out someone from the game, when they are having trouble. Maybe that's why so many people stay around for so long, because of that kind of thing.:)

-A:loveu:

HarmNone
07-09-2004, 07:13 AM
It is really heart-warming to see such caring responses to the needs of someone far away from most of us. Even those who haven't played in years will step up for something like this. You're right, Angela. It is truly amazing. :up:

HarmNone

SpunGirl
07-09-2004, 07:15 AM
You're absolutely right, Ilvane. Simu this, that, or the other, it's the people you meet and love that make others want to stick around.

-K

AnticorRifling
07-09-2004, 08:02 AM
I can get him a laptop.

HarmNone
07-09-2004, 08:05 AM
From what's been posted on the official boards, Melissa has given him a free lifetime account. Once he has a laptop, he'll be able to play again. :)

HarmNone wishes Boomsplat the very best. A candle is lit.

Czeska
07-09-2004, 08:40 AM
If Boom is given a laptop, I also do not want my donation back if it can go to help him out.

HarmNone
07-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Yeah, Czeska. I agree. I'm sure most people feel that way. Let him use the money in whatever way is most helpful to him. :)

HarmNone would not have sent it if she wanted it back

Xinister
07-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Boomsplat is one of those players that you love to interact with.

A great character to be around and I would bet a great person at that.

Hopefully, he can overcome his sickness and cancer IS a BIATCH!

See you in the game, Boom!

Xinister

larktrill
07-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Simutronics Corporation
1500 Wall Street
St. Charles, MO 63303

Is the address for Simutronics...

And I bet Attn: Boomsplatdonate would get a check to the right place.

Before we start sending computers willy-nilly, remember, he only needs one, but it needs to be one that works well with a modem and even a wireless card incase that is how his hospital is set up. He also needs the software so he can reinstall window etc. like we all need to do from time to time ::mutter::

It would be mean to send a sick man a computer that he could not get to work.

For the person who was looking for the link to Gift of Adventure him through Simu.. it is on the first post in this thread.

Thanks again.. and I'll let you know our total to date when I know.

Larks

AnticorRifling
07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Laptop-- PIII 1.0GHz, 512MB SDRAM, 20GB HDD, DVD/CD player
Internal modem-- 56k
Internal NIC-- 10/100
Software-- XP-pro, office, deadIM
Cables-- network cable, phone line, power brick
Bag-- laptop case

I've got it all for him if he needs, only thing Simu or we would have to do is pick up a 50 dollar wireless card, they install like cake with XP pro which will be on the laptop.

Miss X
07-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Wow Anticor, you rock. :)

Skirmisher
07-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Anticor and Artha and all who donated to help this person in what truly seems to be a time of need, well done and thank you.

What goes around comes around.

AnticorRifling
07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Naw it doesn't have to come around. I do what I can when I can because I can. I don't need it back.

Artha
07-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Heh, Anticor's computer wins.

larktrill
07-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Anticor WRITE ME at lady-larktrill@play.net , put those specs in your note and I'll get them to Simu ASAP. (please include your play.net addy so the guy at the Simu office can contact you)

We need to get this info out of the hands of cheerleader-larktrill and into the hands of the guy who is actually in charge of the funds and computers!

thank you so much!

Larks

Myshel
07-10-2004, 10:42 AM
I've got a brand new wireless card if he needs it, let me know.
Its a Linksys newwork pc card Wpc11 ver. 3.0.
Tell me where to send it.

HarmNone
07-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Anticor and Myshel:

I'll bet if you email Simu-Melissa@play.net she can tell you if they still need a computer and wireless card, and where to send them. :)

HarmNone

xShadowMerchantx
07-11-2004, 12:42 AM
You know... I've got an unused linksys USB network adapter...

Just has to have the USB port.... Just in case that card doesn't fit.

larktrill
07-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Simu says that we have met, and exceeded the goal needed to get Boomsplat back on line.. so STOP SENDING MONEY!!!

There was also a lot of nice stuff in the note about how great all you folk are. I totally agree and I'm proud to be here with you.

Simu promised to let me know as soon as they get the laptop and get it on it's way to Boomsplat. And of course I will tell everyone ASAP. Those of you who are planning to contact Simu about donating whole laptops, do it FAST.

I will keep the Boomsplat_donate Yahoo Mailgroup open. There is some talk about future efforts to offer Boom needed help with his medical bills, etc. If the mail-group can serve to facillitate that, I am glad to keep it open as long as necessary. E'mail me if you want to join it, and use it to posts thoughts ideas etc.

Thank you again, this has been a wonderful week.

Larktrill
lady-larktrill@play.net

Scott
07-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by larktrill
Simu says that we have met, and exceeded the goal needed to get Boomsplat back on line.. so STOP SENDING MONEY!!!

There was also a lot of nice stuff in the note about how great all you folk are. I totally agree and I'm proud to be here with you.

Simu promised to let me know as soon as they get the laptop and get it on it's way to Boomsplat. And of course I will tell everyone ASAP. Those of you who are planning to contact Simu about donating whole laptops, do it FAST.

I will keep the Boomsplat_donate Yahoo Mailgroup open. There is some talk about future efforts to offer Boom needed help with his medical bills, etc. If the mail-group can serve to facillitate that, I am glad to keep it open as long as necessary. E'mail me if you want to join it, and use it to posts thoughts ideas etc.

Thank you again, this has been a wonderful week.

Larktrill
lady-larktrill@play.net

That's what I love about Gemstone. It's not very often that within a few days someone can get enough money from people to purchase someone a laptop. The fact that people are more then willing to donate, offer computer parts, thoughts and prayers to someone that some of us have never met in real life, that to me is amazing. Say what you will about the stupidity, assholishness, (yes that's a word, I just made it up) and the "I killed you so that makes my penis bigger then yours," Gemstone certainly has a lot more then that.

AnticorRifling
07-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Myshel
I've got a brand new wireless card if he needs it, let me know.
Its a Linksys newwork pc card Wpc11 ver. 3.0.
Tell me where to send it.

That would work it's PCMCIA.

Askip
07-13-2004, 07:01 PM
<< That's what I love about Gemstone. It's not very often that within a few days someone can get enough money from people to purchase someone a laptop. The fact that people are more then willing to donate, offer computer parts, thoughts and prayers to someone that some of us have never met in real life, that to me is amazing. Say what you will about the stupidity, assholishness, (yes that's a word, I just made it up) and the "I killed you so that makes my penis bigger then yours," Gemstone certainly has a lot more then that. >>

Bingo and well said. It's the community as much if not more than the game - a great bunch of folks, even some of the griefers.

:D

Skirmisher
07-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Except for Anticor of course.

Caiylania
07-13-2004, 07:59 PM
You guys rock. Just heard about this through a newsletter, came here to post it and there it was.

It is always wonderful to see people pull together when someone is down and out.

Augie
07-15-2004, 01:49 AM
I am in the process of creating a notebook that will be a collection of well wishes, cards, letters, get well notes, and pictures to be able to boost Don's (the player of Boom) spirits.

I have been collecting all of the posts that I have seen on the official and unofficial boards, as well as cards and letters that people have been sending to me via email and regular mail to put into the notebook so he'll have something to show him how much his friends in the game care about him.

If you wish to send something to Boomsplat and would like it to be included in this notebook, please send me an email to Fenix825@play.net. If an email is too impersonal and you would rather send a regular card via the mail, you can email me and I will be able to tell you where to send it. Anything will be accepted, whether it's a little note, a card, a picture, a funny poem or joke. Anything you think will help boost his spirits.

It is really cool that all of us have pulled together to make this happen for him, and hopefully if we keep his spirits up, Don will see he has a lot to live for and it will only make him stronger.

If you wish for any further information, please send me an email.

- Christina, player of Augie