PDA

View Full Version : Romney to Drop Out?

ClydeR
07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I have to say that I can't remember ever seeing anything like this in a presidential race. A growing number of high profile Republicans are publicly criticizing Romney for failing to release his tax returns. I planned to link to them, but there are too many to bother with.

This morning there is a rumor that Romney says he will drop out of the race before he releases any returns other than 2010 and 2011.

Something is wrong here, and Romney doesn't seem to be able to get it under control.

ClydeR
07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Romney claims that the historical standard for presidential candidates is to release two years of returns. This article explains that's not true..

The Tax History Project run by TaxAnalysts has a fascinating Web page with the tax returns of presidents and presidential candidates, dating all the way back to Franklin D. Roosevelt. McCain, it is correct, released two years of tax returns, but Obama released seven years of tax returns.

Looking over the years at Obama’s returns, one can see how he suddenly became a wealthy man in 2005 from sales of his reissued memoir. In that year, he earned more than $1 million in income from book sales.

So Gillespie is simply wrong to claim that it is standard for the “last Democratic nominee.” (The Romney campaign did not respond to a request for comment.)

In fact, McCain is really the exception. John Kerry in 2004, Al Gore in 2000, George W. Bush in 2000, Bob Dole in 1996, Bill Clinton in 1992 and Michael Dukakis in 1988 all released many years of tax returns when they ran for president against the incumbent, either at the time or because they had routinely released tax returns while in public office. (There was no incumbent in 2000.) Dole, in fact, released tax returns for a whopping 30 years.

More... (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/romneys-misleading-history-of-tax-returns-issued-by-presidential-contenders/2012/07/16/gJQAChunpW_blog.html)

In fact, Romney previously provided many years of his tax returns to John McCain as part of McCain's vetting process to choose a VP. After McCain saw Romney's returns, McCain decided to choose Palin. Romney should publicly release at least as many returns as he private provided to McCain.

ClydeR
07-17-2012, 02:20 PM
McCain said that Romney's tax history had nothing to do with McCain's decision not to pick Romney as his VP.

"Of course not," McCain told POLITICO when asked if the contents of Romney's tax returns disqualified him from the selection process. "I don’t know what depths these people won’t reach. Obviously, it’s just outrageous. That’s just outrageous. It shows the – it’s so disgraceful for them to allege something that they have absolutely no knowledge of."

Asked why he chose not to go with Romney, McCain said: "Oh come on, because we thought that Sarah Palin was the better candidate. Why did we not take [Tim] Pawlenty, why did we not take any of the other 10 other people. Why didn’t I? Because we had a better candidate, the same way with all the others. ... Come on, why? That’s a stupid question."

More... (http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/07/mccain-i-wasnt-scared-off-by-romney-tax-returns-129201.html)

Romney is lucky to have a friend like McCain.

Androidpk
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Something is wrong here, and Romney doesn't seem to be able to get it under control.

Just as I said would happen.

Androidpk
07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Romney is lucky to have a friend like McCain.

A friend that just burned him by saying Sarah Palin, of all people, is a better candidate than Mitt Romney.

Fucking gold! :lol2: