PDA

View Full Version : Romney to Announce VP Early?

ClydeR
07-11-2012, 10:39 AM
As they work from a short list of leading Republicans, Romney and his advisers say they are weighing whether he should announce his choice some weeks earlier than the traditional time of around the Republican National Convention, which is to be held in Tampa in late August.

The reasoning, advisers say, is that two candidates would be able to raise more money and engage Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in battle with polls showing Americans closely divided on whether to pick the Republican challenger or Democratic incumbent in the November 6 election.

Picking the choice early could also serve to guarantee some positive news coverage at a time when Romney is under fire from Obama over whether he should release more financial information about his wealth.

More... (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/10/us-usa-campaign-romney-idUSBRE86419K20120710)

I think Romney would prefer Paul Ryan. Romney seems to get along with him better than anybody else I've seen. But Ryan would not be the best political choice. Most people think Romney will feel obliged to pick Rob Portman.

ClydeR
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
The people at this super PAC believe Pawlenty, Portman and Rubio are the most likely VP picks. Pawlenty would be a mistake.

The researchers work for the super PAC, American Bridge 21st Century, which is unveiling a new website on Friday called VeepMistakes.com. The site features more than 1,300 pages of opposition research and scores of video clips.

Political prognosticators can only speculate who is on Romney’s short-list, but now we know who the Democrats are preparing to target. The super PAC is shining their spotlight on three of the mostly likely contenders: former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. Their research files, which the group is making public for the first time, also offers a sneak peek at the attacks the Democrats are poised to use against whichever potential V.P. ultimately gets the nod from Romney.

More... (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/exclusive-democrats-dump-opposition-research-on-top-vice-presidential-contenders/)

Some people think it will be Condi Rice. But it won't, because Romney promised to pick a pro-life running mate, and Rice is pro-choice.

Atlanteax
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
As long Romney does not follow McCain's mistake of catering to 'the far right' in his VP selection...

Warriorbird
07-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Rob Portman totally has it. If he does indeed do the rumored Bachmann thing he will lose.

AnticorRifling
07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Rob Portman totally has it. If he does indeed do the rumored Bachmann thing he will lose.

Agreed.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
She's got one redeeming quality anyway... but yeah, she's a crazy biotch.

http://cdn.unicornbooty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Michele-Bachmann-Vows-To-Reinstate-DADT.jpeg

Androidpk
07-13-2012, 12:25 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/351g1sp.jpg

Tisket
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Political advisers everywhere, take note: never allow your candidate to eat anything even remotely phallic-shaped.

In public anyway. What happens behind closed doors is between them and their jar of mustard.

Androidpk
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Or peanut butter, if they're eating a banana.

Atlanteax
07-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Particularly Rick Perry after all that homophobic stuff...

Hulkein
07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Who is hearing anything about Bachman? I haven't seen that at all. Drudge and therefore everyone else is speculating Condi.

Androidpk
07-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Bachman said she could pray the black away.

Warriorbird
07-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a distraction move, but never can tell.

diethx
07-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Or peanut butter, if they're eating a banana.

Banana-eating motherfuckers.

Parkbandit
07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Who is hearing anything about Bachman? I haven't seen that at all. Drudge and therefore everyone else is speculating Condi.

It won't be Condi or Bachmann. It will be some boring white dude that won't overshadow Romney's boring self.

Hulkein
07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Could someone link to an article talking about Bachman as the potential pick? I'm convinced you guys made it up.

Back
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
It won't be Condi or Bachmann. It will be some boring white dude that won't overshadow Romney's boring self.

So basically a piece of drywall.

Parkbandit
07-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Could someone link to an article talking about Bachman as the potential pick? I'm convinced you guys made it up.

Yea.. I'm pretty up on politics and I haven't heard her name mentioned as a candidate. I'm surprised no one mentioned Palin.. the Conservative liberals love to hate Hate HATE!!!

Parkbandit
07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
So basically a piece of drywall.

It would still be a better pick than Biden was... what's your point?

Back
07-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Whats not to love?

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/5/10/12/enhanced-buzz-2701-1336667988-15.jpg

Androidpk
07-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Coolest VP ever

http://i45.tinypic.com/307ugwg.jpg

diethx
07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
That ice cream cone looks like it has an ear.

Parkbandit
07-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Sources are suggesting Tim Pawlenty as the VP choice.

I'm ok with his record.. I just see him as another politician that will say what he thinks you want to hear.

Warriorbird
07-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Sources are suggesting Tim Pawlenty as the VP choice.

I'm ok with his record.. I just see him as another politician that will say what he thinks you want to hear.

Better choice than Bachmann, less boring choice than Portman, more realistic choice than Rice (Sorry guys, your party isn't that cool). I could see it.

ClydeR
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Better choice than Bachmann, less boring choice than Portman, more realistic choice than Rice (Sorry guys, your party isn't that cool). I could see it.

There's no way (http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2012/03/mormon_church_and_racism_a_new_controversy_about_o ld_teachings_.html) a Mormon would ever pick a black person. Besides which, Romney's advisers have now admitted (http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/condoleezza-rice-mitt-romney-running-mate-article-1.1114732) that they floated Rice's name to detract from the publicity surrounding Bain and Romney's tax returns.

Did you see this viral video (http://www.collegemagazine.com/editorial/2223/BYU) of BYU students from February? Embarrassing.

Parkbandit
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM

No one intelligent was saying Bachmann was in the running.

How is Rice the "cool" pick? Because she's black?

Archigeek
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Pawlenty comes off as a whiney tool. He kept his no new taxes pledge by adding fees to everything. He's not dumb though, and has a strong understanding of how politics work.

Warriorbird
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Don't be so mean to Bachmann! She was saying it wasn't her place to say.

Rice is the cool pick because she shores up Romney's foreign policy a tremendous amount and is pro choice.

Keller
07-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Black, female, former secretary of state, loves football, self-made from middle-class background - basically a no-brainer pick if Romney actually wanted to win.

Keller
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Plus Rice would embarrass Biden in a debate.

Androidpk
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Black, female, former secretary of state, loves football, self-made from middle-class background - basically a no-brainer pick if Romney actually wanted to win.

You forgot to mention how she royally fucked up in regards to 9/11.

Bobmuhthol
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/351g1sp.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zp62oz.jpg

Presto chango, Perry is a real American.

~Rocktar~
07-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Plus Rice would embarrass Biden in a debate.

My worn out shoe could embarass Biden in a debate, that isn't a significant claim.

Warriorbird
07-16-2012, 11:58 PM

It'd be a genius pick. Of course he won't do it.

4a6c1
07-17-2012, 06:31 AM

Agreed. She would be the line in the sand for the African American voter base that Obama relies on. NAACP would have a hard time holding onto black religious conservatives all the way to November. I'm sure Romneys tacticians have told him this and I'm sure he is already obligated to a more familiar flavor of corporate strawman.

Parkbandit
07-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Agreed. She would be the line in the sand for the African American voter base that Obama relies on. NAACP would have a hard time holding onto black religious conservatives all the way to November. I'm sure Romneys tacticians have told him this and I'm sure he is already obligated to a more familiar flavor of corporate strawman.

The NAACP is a liberal organization before anything else... in much the same manner that NOW is.

A Rice VP would make very little difference in regards to the black vote.

Keller
07-17-2012, 09:36 AM
The NAACP is a liberal organization before anything else... in much the same manner that NOW is.

A Rice VP would make very little difference in regards to the black vote.

Oh, so black people voted for Obama because he is liberal, not because he is black.

I'm glad you finally came around on that point. It took you a while (and trying to prove Rojo wrong) to admit it.

Drew
07-17-2012, 11:04 AM

I bet Romney would love to take her, Rice will never run though. Also if you've ever heard her speak, she's not a politician, she doesn't have the gift.

Parkbandit
07-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Oh, so black people voted for Obama because he is liberal, not because he is black.

I'm glad you finally came around on that point. It took you a while (and trying to prove Rojo wrong) to admit it.

A black liberal will beat a black Republican for the black vote. A white liberal might not beat a black progressive Republican like Colin Powell though.

I have never stated otherwise.

Parkbandit
07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
I bet Romney would love to take her, Rice will never run though. Also if you've ever heard her speak, she's not a politician, she doesn't have the gift.

The gift of being a scumbag? I agree.

I think Rice would make a good President or VP.. but I would like to know more about her fiscal principles though.

Keller
07-17-2012, 04:06 PM
A black liberal will beat a black Republican for the black vote. A white liberal might not beat a black progressive Republican like Colin Powell though.

I have never stated otherwise.

Bold words. You've made a calculated bet that I won't have the time/desire to prove you wrong. Your calculation is correct.

Atlanteax
07-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Keller affirmed that black voters are racist.

Latrinsorm
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Bold words. You've made a calculated bet that I won't have the time/desire to prove you wrong. Your calculation is correct.I'm not sure he's saying what you think he's saying. Democrats traditionally get ~90% of the black vote, the suggestion that a black Republican had any chance of tipping that to the 50% range against a white opponent necessarily implies that race is a major factor.