PDA

View Full Version : Should You Love the President?

ClydeR
07-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Speaker Boehner says people will vote for Romney even though they don't like him.

Via Roll Call, House Speaker John Boehner had a candid take on the turnout driver for the top of the ticket this fall, when asked by a voter whether he can make that person "love Mitt":

Romney took a relatively long time to conquer his rivals in the GOP primary, and some Republicans have recently expressed concern about the state of the former Massachusetts governor’s campaign against President Barack Obama.

But at a June 30 fundraiser in Wheeling, W.Va., Speaker John Boehner offered a surprisingly frank assessment of the dynamic that surprised some in the audience.

Aside from Romney’s “friends, relatives and fellow Mormons,” Boehner said, most people will be motivated to vote for him in opposition to Obama.

The Ohio Republican made the remarks when an unidentified woman asked during a question-and-answer session: “Can you make me love Mitt Romney?”

More... (http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/07/boehner-romney-friends-relatives-and-fellow-mormons-128248.html)

Tgo01
07-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Why do people want likable politicians anyway? What is this a popularity contest? Look what happened in 2008 when people voted for the more "likable" guy.

Androidpk
07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd say more people voted for Obama because he had a better chance at winning. Plus because he's black.

AnticorRifling
07-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Mostly the latter.

Sam
07-09-2012, 12:27 PM
If I played the silly voting game, I would have voted for him because he is black.

This time I would vote for Romney, because the primary role of the president should be comedic. Also he'll probably be nicer for the defense budget.. I'm 31 now, so fuck society. Self preservation, bitches.

Parkbandit
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM
If I played the silly voting game, I would have voted for him because he is black.

This time I would vote for Romney, because the primary role of the president should be comedic. Also he'll probably be nicer for the defense budget.. I'm 31 now, so fuck society. Self preservation, bitches.

That world view usually changes when you have kids... it's no longer self preservation you are worried about.

Latrinsorm
07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Sam has a kid, doesn't he?

Androidpk
07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Sam has a kid, doesn't he?

Yes.

TheEschaton
07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Likability should never be a factor in voting. I voted for Barack Obama because he's just outright smarter than McCain and obviously my politics align with his.

I voted for John Kerry too over Bush. I voted for Al Gore over Bush. Both much less likable than Bush, but imminently more qualified. Don't act like this whole "likability" issue has plagued only the Republicans ever, when the last Republican President was elected solely on likability.

-TheE-

Tgo01
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I voted for John Kerry too over Bush. I voted for Al Gore over Bush. Both much less likable than Bush, but imminently more qualified. Don't act like this whole "likability" issue has plagued only the Republicans ever, when the last Republican President was elected solely on likability.

Bush was likable?

Androidpk
07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Bush was likable?

Curious about this as well.

TheEschaton
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Do you guys even REMEMBER the 2000 election? I mean, maybe it sticks out in my memory because it was the first one I could vote in, and I'm a Democrat, and I had a Republican roommate from West Palm Beach...but come on. Bush almost completely ran on likability in 2000, and definitely used his "I'd rather have a beer with that guy" personality against Kerry in 2004.

The weird part is I've actually had a beer with John Kerry, and he's fucking awesome. Probably much cooler to have a beer with than Bush. He's like a motherfuckin' P.I.M.P. in Boston.

Tgo01
07-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Do you guys even REMEMBER the 2000 election? I mean, maybe it sticks out in my memory because it was the first one I could vote in, and I'm a Democrat, and I had a Republican roommate from West Palm Beach...but come on. Bush almost completely ran on likability in 2000, and definitely used his "I'd rather have a beer with that guy" personality against Kerry in 2004.

The weird part is I've actually had a beer with John Kerry, and he's fucking awesome. Probably much cooler to have a beer with than Bush. He's like a motherfuckin' P.I.M.P. in Boston.

I could maybe give you that he won on likability in 2000, but in 2004 when he was feeling the hatred did he really run and win on likability?

azim17
07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Bush was definitely the guy next door likeable. I lived in the midwest at the time and you would be shocked at how many people loved him because he was just like them or their family. Of course this wasnt true as he was a multi-millionaire that had everything handed to him and they were relatively poor midwesterners who actually worked, but that was the perception. To these people Kerry was a rich snobby "eastern" type and looks of course plays such a huge role. Bush looks like the dude across the street, Kerry looks tall, arrogant, well - heeled. Millions of people generally know nothing about either candidate so they shoot from the hip and go with news snippets and their own first impression.

azim17
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
In 2004 it more shifted to him winning on fear - dont change commanders mid war type of thing. 9/11 definitely helped him get re elected.

Parkbandit
07-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Likability should never be a factor in voting. I voted for Barack Obama because he's just outright smarter than McCain and obviously my politics align with his.

-TheE-

Lulz.

Stop pretending anything but the letter behind the name was the deciding factor in your vote.

Sam
07-09-2012, 06:25 PM
That world view usually changes when you have kids... it's no longer self preservation you are worried about.

I do have a kid and a wife. They need me and my money. Most of my money comes as a result of absurd defense spending.

I still don't care much about voting though, especially when I live in state with a huge number of God botherers, most of which are republicans. Additionally, with my bias toward defense spending I feel it's only fair to recuse myself as a voter, since I don't have society's best interest in mind.

Regardless, I think the way we individually spend has much more impact than choosing the best bullshitter to be our figurehead. Hookers and Blow party 2012.

Androidpk
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Sam lives on government welfare!

Latrinsorm
07-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I could maybe give you that he won on likability in 2000, but in 2004 when he was feeling the hatred did he really run and win on likability?What happened in 2004 was a President in a relatively precarious position ran against a wooden career politician from a minority and therefore weird religion. For all his faults and failures, the President was inarguably more personable than his challenger, and it wasn't close. Everyone on the other side knew he was going to lose, but he won anyway.

TheEschaton
07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Lulz.

Stop pretending anything but the letter behind the name was the deciding factor in your vote.

I would have definitely voted for John McCain over Al Gore in 2000. John McCain in 2008, hell no.

TheEschaton
07-09-2012, 10:43 PM
And hell, I probably would have voted for Bush Sr. over Dukakis if I had been eligible to vote.

Parkbandit
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
I would have definitely voted for John McCain over Al Gore in 2000. John McCain in 2008, hell no.

Sure.

And hell, I probably would have voted for Bush Sr. over Dukakis if I had been eligible to vote.

What's next..

"And I would have voted for Lincoln if I would have been born.. and he was a Republican!"

TheEschaton
07-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Have you voted for a Democrat in the 60 years you've been eligible to vote in? Litmus test: Did you vote for Bill Clinton over Bob Dole?

Dhuul2
07-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Was back in my sorta-hometown over the Fourth and saw a guy wearing one of those sandwich boards.

Front side: IMPEACH OBAMA
Back side: OBAMA IS A CRACKER

First I was outraged. Then I was confused. Then I got hungry.

Parkbandit
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Have you voted for a Democrat in the 60 years you've been eligible to vote in?

Actually, in my ignorant youth, I voted for far too many NY Democrats.

Litmus test: Did you vote for Bill Clinton over Bob Dole?

No, I thought and still believe Clinton was one of the biggest scumbags to ever hold the Office.

But in your spirit of true partisanship, I would have voted for Truman if I were alive and of legal voting age.

Latrinsorm
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
As the only person who voted for 2004 Bush and 2008 Obama and therefore a neutral party, I rule in favor of Eschaton. D TEAM UNITE er... crap.

Androidpk
07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
As the only person who voted for 2004 Bush and 2008 Obama

I did too.

Latrinsorm
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Libertarians aren't people.

Androidpk
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
What are we?

Latrinsorm
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
You are the dead.

Androidpk
07-10-2012, 01:04 PM

ClydeR
07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I definitely would have voted for Aaron Burr over Thomas Jefferson.