PDA

View Full Version : Seasonale (girl topic, boys go away!) LOL

DianaBanana
07-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Has anyone else here heard about Seasonale pills? It's birth control that gives you only 4 periods a year...

I'm just curious if anyone here knows anything about it cause I get nasty nasty cramps and this might be a great solution for me.

To any of the guys that read this and are freaking out...I told you to go away. :P

crazymage
07-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Members viewing this page: crazymage, Tijay

Sean
07-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Eh, was curious. Nothing I'd freak out about though.

DianaBanana
07-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Tijay
Eh, was curious. Nothing I'd freak out about though.

That's cause you're a real man! ;)

GSLeloo
07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
I actually did hear about it, my doctor talked about it but we didn't go that way. I'd assume that it would be better cause you'd only have your period four times a year.

Wezas
07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Although Seasonale users have fewer scheduled menstrual cycles, the data from clinical trials show that many women, especially in the first few cycles of use, had more unplanned bleeding and spotting between the expected menstrual periods than women taking a conventional 28-day cycle oral contraceptive.

:help:

Also:

Since Seasonale users can expect to have fewer periods, the label also advises women to consider the possibility that they may be pregnant if they miss any scheduled periods. Women should discuss contraceptive use and the precautions and warnings for use of the drug with their doctors.

Suprise! You're 3 months pregnant!

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-06-2004, 11:19 AM
I thought menstruation was the sloughing off of unfertilized embryo's... does this mean you "retain" them or that you have 3x the flow?

Czeska
07-06-2004, 11:22 AM
No, it's the expulsion of the lining of your uterus that you don't need to nourish an embryo if there IS no embryo.

Weedmage Princess
07-06-2004, 11:29 AM
I heard about it just last night, Diana and I plan on discussing it with my doc at my next visit. I have a lot of questions (including just about every single one raised here so far) but getting the visit only 4 times a year sounds MUCH better than the once a month deal. If you'd like (and haven't found out on your own by then) I can pass along any info I get.

DianaBanana
07-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Yeah let me know what you find out. I'd love to avoid being in pain as much as possible.

DeV
07-06-2004, 11:33 AM
If you only get 4 periods a year is that a guarantee you won't get PMS every month regardless. I have a friend whos ovaries are removed so she doesn't get periods, but still gets PMS.

Wezas
07-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
does this mean you "retain" them or that you have 3x the flow?

:( (was going to put a picture of "Carrie", but it grossed me out even looking for it)

GSLeloo
07-06-2004, 11:35 AM
You don't retain them. I never used to get my period, it's more like that lining never builds up so there's nothing to retain.

Latrinsorm
07-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
You don't retain them. I never used to get my period, it's more like that lining never builds up so there's nothing to retain. Yeah, but don't you still release an egg a month? Where do they go?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
That's what I meant...

Miss Jade
07-06-2004, 12:51 PM
What about women over 35 that smoke?
is this just as bad as the oral?? :?:
________
Oklahoma City Assembly (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Oklahoma_City_Assembly)

The Korean
07-06-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm at my clinic right now. I'll ask one of my docs when I get a chance about it. gimme an hour and i'll post what he tells me.

LadyLuck
07-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Seasonale is just like any other birth control pill, you just take it differently. Quote: "With a 28-day pill, you take an active pill every day for 21 days followed by 7 days of inactive pills, so you get your period about once a month, or 13 times a year. With SEASONALE®, you take an active pill every day for 84 days followed by 7 days of inactive pills, so you get your period once every 3 months—just 4 times a year. "

It's the same premise Dr's have known about for years and have already prescribed regular b/c pills for in the past. Just that some company decided to market the idea. ;)

An alternative is also Depo Provera. I know a lot of women who had severe cramps and went on Depo, it helped. When I took Depo, it also stopped my periods all together. However, I still had PMS. But it was the stomach and back cramping, and back pain, that I was glad to be rid of every month.

Personally, now, with all the side effects of taking hormone contraceptives, I skip them all together. Have you ever read the inserts that come with b/c pills, Depo, etc.?

The Korean
07-06-2004, 02:03 PM
talked to my doc, and he said that it's basically like a normal b/c pill. got the same shitty side effects and stuff, and basically everything else that's been said here.

CrystalTears
07-06-2004, 02:30 PM
The only reason I didn't go along with the idea is that, as much as I don't like Aunt Flo visiting every month, it's still an indicator to me that I'm not pregnant.

Granted you can still get it the first month or two after pregnancy, but I really don't want to find out three months later. It would freak me out too much. I'm used to the regularity of it all.

Hey Korean, why are you asking your doc about b/c? It's not something your typical male will ask their doctor. :thinking:

[Edited on 7/6/2004 by CrystalTears]

Wezas
07-06-2004, 02:34 PM
I was under the impression that Korean worked at a clinic. May be wrong though.

The Korean
07-06-2004, 05:08 PM
I do work at a clinic, and I was curious myself. Eventually I'll be flooded with patients asking for the stuff.

Betheny
07-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Any BCP will act just like seasonale, you just don't take the week off.

Ortho Evra rules for those of us who suck at taking pills at the same time every day. It just sucks when there's no one to help you put it on, cause I can only reach the uncomfortable spots to put it.

Betheny
07-06-2004, 08:18 PM
oh, and I don't know about you guys, but I don't mind getting my period every month. It's a very happy reminder that I'm not pregnant.

Latrinsorm
07-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
oh, and I don't know about you guys, but I don't mind getting my period every month. It's a very happy reminder that I'm not pregnant. One of the funniest uses of the word "guys" ever.

Betheny
07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey, if you're dating a chick and she doesn't get her period, are you like, "Hey dude, she might be knocked up! SWEET!" Or are you like... oh shit, dude...

DianaBanana
07-06-2004, 10:44 PM
I just want it so I dont have nasty cramps every month. I dont really need to be worrying about the pregnant thing at this point in time. :P

CrystalTears
07-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I initially started taking b/c to become regular and take away the cramps. They were horrible, especially the first day. I was literally in a fetal position for the first day or two and no medication I tried worked for me. Ever since I've been on the pill, I haven't gotten cramps.

So I'm not really about to try something new only to find that the advantages I have now will be gone. I don't mind it like I said before and what Maimara stated... it's a reminder that I'm not prego.

longshot
07-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Maimara
Hey, if you're dating a chick and she doesn't get her period, are you like, "Hey dude, she might be knocked up! SWEET!" Or are you like... oh shit, dude...

It depends on the guy.

Some might just stop eating and cry alot.

Others might start laying trip wires for you to fall down the stairs.

Betheny
07-07-2004, 06:54 AM
lol

See, this is why I wouldn't deal with seasonale. I bruise easily.

Weedmage Princess
07-07-2004, 08:12 AM
That's something else I'm going to ask. How effective is it? Like..if you miss one stinking pill, are you in the shit or not...

If it works well, just like the other b/c pills...then as long as you take it when you're supposed to, you shouldn't get pregnant...that's the purpose behind birth control pills.

Unless they're like those other pills they have (I forget the name) that you still need to use a condom or some other sort of contraceptive when having sex WHILE taking it (What's the point?) ..that shouldn't be an issue.

I guess I'm in the minority, I don't need to see it, nor will I miss it. It gives me no comfort to see it. I don't like getting my period, PERIOD. I'll take it over getting pregnant, at this point and time yes, however if I can have my cake and eat it too...that's what I'm going for.

Besides, the less time you spend having your visitor around, the more time you free up for other activities which I plan on taking full advantage of :devilsmile:

[Edited on 7-7-2004 by Weedmage Princess]

Myshel
07-07-2004, 09:13 AM
I know when i was on the pill, my periods were like non exsistant anyway. 1 or 2 days, light flow. I discovered if I didn't take the 7 day placebo's and just started my next cycle of pills, I skipped my period, I did it often. This was years ago, so this is nothing new.

Betheny
07-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Weedie, you just need a man that isn't afraid of making a mess. :gawk: