PDA

View Full Version : Ambushing with weighted daggers?

Wyildarren
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Hoping this isn't a stupid question, don't really understand critical weighting...

So I was wondering if plain daggers weigh about 2 pounds each, does that mean they are lightly critically weighted? If so should I be trying to lessen the weight for a higher success rate of aimed ambushing of the eyes? I have a choice between buying glaes x4 daggers 150% weight modifiers OR vultite x5 daggers at 80% weight modifier, so basically if aiming is harder with heavier critically weighted weapons should I just go with vultite or will the glaes provide a higher benefit?

Sam
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Critical_weighting

edit: In case that article doesn't state it, the weight you see with the WEIGH verb has no relation to the "critical/damage weighting" of the weapon.

Mumblz
06-20-2012, 02:41 PM
and in case you are wondering, ambush from hiding has *phantom* crit weighting. I have heard it suggested that its useless to have *crit-weighted* daggers for ambushing purposes as a well trained rogue won't notice. I imagine the *phantom* weighting is linked to a number of factors (heard dexterity is part of it) and would likely stack with real weighting (like sunfist sigil on top of a claidhmore).

drunksolo
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Like they said, no relation between WEIGH results and critical weighting. In regards to ambushing with a crit weighted weapon, it depends and will vary from character to character, level to level, and enemy to enemy. There is a cap on the effects of crit weighting, your total crit weighting will be the sum of the weighting from your weapon, your dex bonus, and your ambush ranks (as long as you're attacking from hiding [using the kill/attack verb instead of the ambush verb from hiding will reduce your ambush skill weighting by half]).

The cap on the effects occurs when you reach a point that your total weighting pushes you up to a max crit rank of 9 (which will then be randomized between 5 and 9 inclusive). Additional weighting from there will not raise your min or max result.

With all that said, there are very tough critters because of their armor or natural padding at every level, including 100, and especially with a low DF weapon like a dagger weighting can come in handy. Whether it's worth the price is really a personal thing.

Jeril
06-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Basically while you are hiding and ambushing, at lower levels crit weighting can be useful, as you progress and gain more ambush ranks they become less useful and it is better to get perfect weapons of higher enchants. Although crit weighted weapons can be amusing at the higher levels and allow you to crit kill things from the open that you normally wouldn't be able to.

DaCapn
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
The padding KP article might be a bit more helpful in showing how weighting manifests in the resolution of an attack. If you look at that you'll see that lighter weapons benefit most (due to low DFs, the endroll would have to be higher to equate the weighting) against lighter armors (since the critical divisor is applied to the weighting).

It's not entirely useless, but more often than not, as a rogue, you want a higher enchant weapon. This is because weighting is not triggered unless you achieve a rank 1 critical (if you've ever seen a claidhmore go "plink" on a ~110 endroll but then cause terrible terrible damage on a slightly higher endroll, that's why).