PDA

View Full Version : SWTOR News

Back
06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Server transfers have begun.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120612

06.12.2012 Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/na/character_transfer_435x250.jpg

The initial character transfer service is now available, allowing qualifying characters to be transferred at no charge from selected origin servers to selected destination servers. This character transfer service will be available as long as is required to help maintain population balance across the service and create a better overall gameplay experience. Select servers will be eligible for free character transfers based on the player populations of the origin and destination servers.

To qualify for a free character transfer, a player must have a character on one of the selected origin servers and must meet the following requirements:

A player’s account cannot be in a banned status.
The character being transferred cannot be a guild master; they must either resign as master or demote themselves to a lower guild rank to be transferred. (Guild rankings and status will not be transferred.)

To start the character transfer process, login (https://account.swtor.com/user/login?destination=home) to your account, click My Account (https://account.swtor.com/user/account) and then click Character Transfers in the left hand menu. From there you will be able to select Start a Character Transfer and see if you have any characters eligible for transfer to selected servers.

For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service. This is not an automatic process and you will have to contact Customer Service directly.

The character transfer service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of the lowest population servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are made available in the service. Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at www.swtor.com/transfer (http://www.swtor.com/transfer). This is to prevent potential server load issues. As a result, you may have to wait a short period before you can begin your character transfer.

After you confirm your character transfer request, it can take up to three hours for your requested characters to be transferred. During this period you will be unable to login to any of the characters that are being transferred, or any other character on that origin server. If you are playing one of these characters when you confirm your transfer, you will be logged off from that character and server until the transfer is complete.

You will be notified via email (to the email address registered on your game account) once your character transfer requests have been processed. The character transfer page will also be updated at that time.

Moving forward, we are committed to making improvements to the character transfer service to provide you with a great gameplay experience. For more information on the character transfer service, please read our FAQ on the character transfer service (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/4997) and our recent Community blog (http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you). You can also keep up to date on the latest news and updates about Star Wars: The Old Republic by visiting www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com (http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com), as well as joining us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#%21/SWTOR) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic).

Some Rogue
06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I saw they were allowing transfers from one server to The Fatman. The most overpopulated server in the game. It used to have queues for 45 minutes or more in the evening.

Back
06-12-2012, 12:03 PM
The current list.

Certain transfers are complimentary at this time: Between the following servers: Keller's Void to Jedi Covenant

Hedarr Soongh to The Fatman

Fa'athra to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Kath Hound to The Ebon Hawk

Eye of Ashlanae to The Red Eclipse

The Shadow Runner to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Ven Zallow to Jung Ma

The Courageous to Canderous Ordo

Rakata Mind Prison to The Bastion

Soresu to The Harbinger

Mecrosa Order to Darth Nihilus

Stereb Cities to The Jedi Tower

The Restoration Zone to Jar'Kai Sword

Phateem Halls of Knowledge to Mantle of the Force

Back
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
They opened up more free transfers.

Infinity Gate to Prophecy of the Five

The Swiftsure to The Bastion

Eidolon Security to Jedi Covenant

Axial Park to Jedi Covenant

The Maw to The Bastion

Rakata Mind Prison to The Bastion

The Crucible Pits to The Bastion

Warriors of the Shadow to The Bastion

Black Vulkars to The Bastion

Dark Reaper to The Bastion

Krath to The Harbinger

Soresu to The Harbinger

Empress Teta to The Harbinger

Zaalbar to The Harbinger

Gauntlet of Kressh to The Harbinger

Daragon Trail to The Bastion

Namadii Corridor to The Harbinger

Kaiburr Crystal to The Harbinger

Shadowtown to The Bastion

Kaas City to Canderous Ordo

Krayiss Obelisk to Canderous Ordo

The Corsair to Canderous Ordo

The Courageous to Canderous Ordo

Zez-Kai Ell to Canderous Ordo

Assassins of Sion to Canderous Ordo

Master Dorak to Canderous Ordo

The Constant to Canderous Ordo

Kathol Rift to Canderous Ordo

Nadd's Sarcophagus to The Bastion

Wall of Light to The Harbinger

Mandalore the Indomitable to The Bastion

Infinite Empire to The Bastion

Whitebeam Run to Canderous Ordo

Juyo to Canderous Ordo

Wound in the Force to The Bastion

Lord Ieldis to Begeren Colony

The Krath Enchanter to Jar'Kai Sword

Loramarr to Jar'Kai Sword

Darth Traya to Jar'Kai Sword

Blotus the Hutt to Jar'Kai Sword

Gnawer's Roost to Jar'Kai Sword

Exis Station to Jar'Kai Sword

The Restoration Zone to Jar'Kai Sword

Brianna to Jar'Kai Sword

Hssiss to Mantle of the Force

Vodo-Siosk Baas to Mantle of the Force

Kissai Caste to Mantle of the Force

Phateem Halls of Knowledge to Mantle of the Force

Pius Dea to Jar'Kai Sword

Darth Revan's Mask to Jar'Kai Sword

Murakami Orchid to The Jedi Tower

Handmaidens of Atris to The Jedi Tower

Princess Galia to Darth Nihilus

Star Map to Darth Nihilus

Dol Grenn to Darth Nihilus

Trask Ulgo to The Progenitor

Ajunta Pall to Jung Ma

Shaltin Tunnels to The Progenitor

Atris to Darth Nihilus

Hrakert Rift to Darth Nihilus

Dreypa's Oubliette to The Jedi Tower

The Cinzia to The Jedi Tower

Stereb Cities to The Jedi Tower

Opila Crystal to The Jedi Tower

Mecrosa Order to Darth Nihilus

Baron Deathmark to Darth Nihilus

Vrook Lamar to Begeren Colony

Kessel Run to Battle Meditation

Bondar Crystal to Prophecy of the Five

Fa'athra to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Naddist Rebels to Prophecy of the Five

Veela to Prophecy of the Five

Gardens of Talla to Prophecy of the Five

Davik's Estate to Prophecy of the Five

Lord Praven to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Perlemian Trade Route to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Sanctum of the Exalted to The Ebon Hawk

Shien to The Ebon Hawk

Darth Xedrix to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Mask of Nihilus to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Master Zhar Lestin to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Master Gnost-Dural to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

Cho Mai to The Fatman

Firkrann Crystal to The Fatman

Sedyn Kyne to Jedi Covenant

Keller's Void to Jedi Covenant

Telos Restoration Project to Jedi Covenant

Nathema to Jedi Covenant

The Defenestrator to Jedi Covenant

Fort Garnik to Jedi Covenant

Keetael to Jedi Covenant

Ki-Ta Kren to Jedi Covenant

Thendys Noori to The Fatman

Hedarr Soongh to The Fatman

Rwookrrorro to The Fatman

The Deadweight to The Fatman

Khoonda Militia to Jedi Covenant

Kinrath Spider to The Fatman

Kath Hound to The Ebon Hawk

Lord Adraas to The Ebon Hawk

The Exile's Crystal to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Ula Vii to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

The Ravager to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

The Shadow Runner to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

The Kumumgah to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Ahto City to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Chuundar to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Niman to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Hex Droid to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Hanharr to Jedi Covenant

Tassaa Bareesh to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Scepter of Ragnos to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Tott Doneeta to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Kai-kan to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Starstorm One to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Uthar Wynn to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

The Arkanian Legacy to The Red Eclipse

Flames of the Crucible to The Red Eclipse

Eye of Ashlanae to The Red Eclipse

Cassus Fett to Vanjervalis Chain

Rubat Crystal to The Ebon Hawk

Zayne Carrick to Vanjervalis Chain

Ludo Kressh to The Red Eclipse

Sluis Shipyards to The Red Eclipse

Trayus Academy to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Senator Contispex to Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Goluud Corridor to The Red Eclipse

Rogue Moon to The Red Eclipse

Dxun Battle Circle to The Red Eclipse

Kellian Jarro to The Red Eclipse

Ven Zallow to Jung Ma

Androidpk
06-16-2012, 01:03 AM
And it looks like my prediction of TOR being switched to a F2P model within a year were entirely spot on, despite some of the naysayers here that ridiculed me for that idea ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/15/hmmm-the-old-republic-looking-at-free-to-play/

2012 1Q results weren't very pretty for EA and Bioware as they lost almost a half a million subscribers within the first two months.

Back
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
And it looks like my prediction of TOR being switched to a F2P model within a year were entirely spot on, despite some of the naysayers here that ridiculed me for that idea ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/15/hmmm-the-old-republic-looking-at-free-to-play/

2012 1Q results weren't very pretty for EA and Bioware as they lost almost a half a million subscribers within the first two months.

So what if it does? We are in a transitional period with gaming pay structures right now. A micro-transaction model is a proven profit maker. I think we will see most games and other similar entertainment services move to this method in the next few years.

Androidpk
06-16-2012, 04:09 PM
The point is they initially said they had no idea in ever switching to f2p. However they aren't even coming close to the amount of money they wanted to be making off subscriptions so they're being forced into this to hopefully get more people to play. Micro-transactions work for some games but its not a bandaid that can be applied to all games.

Back
06-16-2012, 04:32 PM
The point is they initially said they had no idea in ever switching to f2p. However they aren't even coming close to the amount of money they wanted to be making off subscriptions so they're being forced into this to hopefully get more people to play. Micro-transactions work for some games but its not a bandaid that can be applied to all games.

Curious what you think is the amount of money they wanted to make off subscriptions?

Here is a blog post with another view point (http://www.manaobscura.com/2012/01/23/how-swtor-will-make-a-profit/) that seems to me to be a little more in line with the reality of the situation as planned out by Bioware.

To recap, a $200 million game that made $30 million in first month sales has $170m still to recoup from subscriptions. SWTOR is likely to retain 1 million subscribers, earning $180 million in the first year. Operating costs are likely less than $10 million.

From my crude napkin-maths, Star Wars: The Old Republic should break even by the end of the first year, with anything beyond that being healthy profit margin. It’s possible that the forecast was for the game to pay back within three years, in which case it’s easy to see that the game should make a substantial sum even if subscriber numbers drop.

Of course they could still make a healthy profit without going F2P as described above but they could get greedy and go F2P to make even more money once they have solidified their subscription base.

Androidpk
06-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Curious what you think is the amount of money they wanted to make off subscriptions?

Uhh.. enough to break even from the development/advertising costs? Derp

Here is a blog post with another view point (http://www.manaobscura.com/2012/01/23/how-swtor-will-make-a-profit/) that seems to me to be a little more in line with the reality of the situation as planned out by Bioware.

Except that isn't the reality of the situation. Bioware didn't expect to hemorrhage subscriptions so quickly, roughly a quarter in the first couple of months. That's pretty fucking bad for MMO, especially one that was so costly.

Of course they could still make a healthy profit without going F2P as described above but they could get greedy and go F2P to make even more money once they have solidified their subscription base.

I would love to hear how you think they could make even more money off F2P, maybe you should go tell them how. As they weren't expecting to have to make this switch I'm pretty sure they didn't have a backup plan and are going to have to figure this out from scratch.

Back
06-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Uhh.. enough to break even from the development/advertising costs? Derp

Except that isn't the reality of the situation. Bioware didn't expect to hemorrhage subscriptions so quickly, roughly a quarter in the first couple of months. That's pretty fucking bad for MMO, especially one that was so costly.

I would love to hear how you think they could make even more money off F2P, maybe you should go tell them how. As they weren't expecting to have to make this switch I'm pretty sure they didn't have a backup plan and are going to have to figure this out from scratch.

Well obviously you're such a fucking expert my saying you're completely full of shit is nothing that you didn't already know so whats the point?

You seem to have a negative viewpoint of F2P models. S'cool.

Androidpk
06-16-2012, 06:08 PM
So what you're saying is your version of an adult conversation is where you get to pull asinine "facts" out of your ass without feeling the need to back them up with evidence or facts.

I'm not against F2P models and I've never said anything that should have lead you to that assumption.

Numbers
06-16-2012, 06:13 PM
They made it way too easy to reach cap. Even in beta we were hitting cap within one to two weeks of a wipe. When the game launched, wasn't the first level 50 within 2 or 3 days?

Combine that with the lackluster (and buggy) endgame, horrible unbalances in PvP, and repetitive quests, it's no surprise that the game is losing subscribers.

Androidpk
06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Two days for the first lvl 50.

SpiffyJr
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Leveling shouldn't even be in a MMO anymore. They should focus entirely on "end-game" with a handful of tiny quests to do that show you how to use your skills.

Back
06-16-2012, 10:30 PM
So what you're saying is your version of an adult conversation is where you get to pull asinine "facts" out of your ass without feeling the need to back them up with evidence or facts.

I'm not against F2P models and I've never said anything that should have lead you to that assumption.

First you claim that SWTOR is going F2P based on a rumor from a blog. I say so what? You get pissy and neg rep me then post that Bio doesn't know what they are doing. I post something that shows that Bio spent $200 million on a game and will be profitable within the year at the current subscription rate. You tell me I am pulling facts out of my ass when you clearly have been doing so all along.

Not sure why you are getting all defensive. Yes, losing 400k subscribers is not a good thing. But its hardly the end when you still have 1.3m and have ways to mitigate the loss with future offers. If they maintain at least a million subscribers in their first year they might be AHEAD of their projected profit time table.

I guess where we disagree is that you think Bio doesn't know what they are doing. I think they do and will continue to. And I'm not just a fanboy. There are things I think they could have done differently that would have been better.

Leveling too fast, too much development too fast, its like they are rushing to satisfy the gamers who literally spent 48 hours straight to hit cap as soon as possible when the majority of their player base actually have lives on the side.

Gizmo
06-18-2012, 10:57 PM
These server queues suck now...I've been in Position 2 for like an hour....But then again I am only on a trial account so I could have less priority than most....Damn racists.

Otherwise I've been having fun, having given my beta key to an old SWG guildie, there is alot to learn with the game for me. Plus it's ncie to play with old guildmates also.

Androidpk
06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
First you claim that SWTOR is going F2P based on a rumor from a blog.

Yes, because when I first stated this last year it was because of that blog article that I saw when I traveled to the future.

Back
06-18-2012, 11:23 PM
These server queues suck now...I've been in Position 2 for like an hour....But then again I am only on a trial account so I could have less priority than most....Damn racists.

Otherwise I've been having fun, having given my beta key to an old SWG guildie, there is alot to learn with the game for me. Plus it's ncie to play with old guildmates also.

Yeah I went from a nearly deserted server to a 5 minute que after I transferred. But its much easier to find groups for Heroics. I don't mind the trade off. If the que gets much longer I might.

Back
07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Free trials!

Join thousands online - it's easy!

* No payment or credit card required
* Play Free to Level 15 - no time limit
* Purchase the game and continue your Star Wars™ Saga - your characters be waiting for you!

TheEschaton
07-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Looks like those optional transfers off low pop servers....not so optional come the end of the summer. (http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/merge-you-will-yes/)

Outright server mergers, let the panic and rumor mill start.

Natso
07-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Free trial made me give this a second look. Transferred my 28 Commando over to Harbinger and have been leveling up some more on Tattooine. Anyone else Republic side on Harbinger around my level? I've got like a 13 or 14 sith somethin or other I could xfrer too.

Some Rogue
07-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Too bad I wasn't eligible for the free week for former players because the free month they tacked on my account when I cancelled (that I didn't use)carried me past the cutoff date.

Kitsun
07-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Leveling shouldn't even be in a MMO anymore. They should focus entirely on "end-game" with a handful of tiny quests to do that show you how to use your skills.

Bears repeating. Rift felt like one of the better MMOs that designed for the cap on down.

There's no reason to pour 99% of the resources into the stage of the game where everyone just wants to get the hell out of as quickly as possible. Low level areas should be mostly instanced to avoid the bottle necking that occurs in the first few days/weeks of launch.

Numbers
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Think it's obvious that the game will eventually go free to play. The game is hemorrhaging subscribers at this point -- the main swtor.com page makes it obvious. I just cancelled my subscription today. I really enjoyed warzones, but I don't play nearly enough to keep myself well-geared. Even buying the best stuff I could find on the auction house, I fell way behind the gear curve. The battlemaster gear and raid gear simply far outclasses anything else. It's no fun going up against consulars/inquisitors or agents/smugglers with 22k health as a BH with only 11k health.

Androidpk
07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Hopefully their next quarterly results will show an improvement though I honestly don't expect that to happen. According to their last one they lost over 20% of their subscribers.

Back
07-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Their homepage does look like they are desperate. FREE trial, FREE speeder, FREE return...

I'd be sad to see it go F2P. I really like the game and want to keep liking it. But I've already hit cap with my second char and am quickly running out of other goals like max companion favor, finding datacrons, making credits through crafting.

The game world needs to be like 10 times larger than it already is, stricter level progression, and a much higher cap. I feel like they have the structure dead on. Classes, talents, crewskills, all the framework seems to work really well and it has substance it just needs longer playability.

Kuyuk
07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I havent heard much of this game since it came out... sounds like it flopped?

Gsgeek
07-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Problem, like many things , is they only got part of it right. The ambiance, the various prof storylines, early on, all seem to me great. Unfortunately the bog down area is pvp and cap and even maybe having too many servers open for what population was. The original server I was on never did even approach busy, making getting groups together for certain fights/events difficult. THat sucks. As much as I enjoy a lot of the solo story line , it IS a mmo. I really hope they continue to improve and tweak stuff and add stuff.

Androidpk
07-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I havent heard much of this game since it came out... sounds like it flopped?

It certainly isn't doing as good as they wanted it too, considering how much money was spent on development and publishing.

Back
07-14-2012, 09:33 PM
It certainly isn't doing as good as they wanted it too, considering how much money was spent on development and publishing.

And I have to wonder what was the huge expense for that game? Voice talent stands out as possibly being a big overhead. Buying the engine might have been a large expense. If the money people were looking to do something similar to WoW they might have spent more on things they didn't really need to.

The actual gaming system itself should almost have been freeware at this point. All the pretty graphics and theatrics are probably the big money sink. Oh, and Lucas probably needed to add another wing to his mansion.

Androidpk
07-14-2012, 09:44 PM
IIRC they licensed the engine for somewhere around $60k + a small amount of royalties. Apparently when you have like 800 developers spread around the world things start to get expensive, like $200 million expensive.

AnticorRifling
07-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Mmmm scope creep.

Parkbandit
07-16-2012, 08:19 AM
And I have to wonder what was the huge expense for that game? Voice talent stands out as possibly being a big overhead. Buying the engine might have been a large expense. If the money people were looking to do something similar to WoW they might have spent more on things they didn't really need to.

The actual gaming system itself should almost have been freeware at this point. All the pretty graphics and theatrics are probably the big money sink. Oh, and Lucas probably needed to add another wing to his mansion.

Lulz.

Seriously, ask your boss if you can go over the P&L with him and have him explain it to you. It's like you have no idea what is going on.. but somehow it's always the rich guy's fault.

Back
07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Lulz.

Seriously, ask your boss if you can go over the P&L with him and have him explain it to you. It's like you have no idea what is going on.. but somehow it's always the rich guy's fault.

I really don't understand how you derive that conclusion from my post. Just a brief search on "swtor production costs" mentions that they hired 1000 voice actors so it kind of validates my initial impression. I would love to see the P&L on SWTOR. I bet we could plug some holes in that leaky ship.

Parkbandit
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
I really don't understand how you derive that conclusion from my post. Just a brief search on "swtor production costs" mentions that they hired 1000 voice actors so it kind of validates my initial impression. I would love to see the P&L on SWTOR. I bet we could plug some holes in that leaky ship.

Voice actors probably aren't in the top 10 expense category for Bioware.

AnticorRifling
07-16-2012, 11:57 AM
For this project? The might be.

Parkbandit
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
For this project? The might be.

You just this thread.

If there were some well known voice actors, maybe... but I doubt there were 1000 actors and I doubt many made over union minimal.

Androidpk
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Voice actors probably aren't in the top 10 expense category for Bioware.

You would be wrong. SWTOR broke the record for amount of voice actors and spoken dialogue in regards to videogames. They spent a lot of money in this regards.

Actually I stand corrected, not just videogames but all media including full length feature films. Hundreds of voice actors and over 200,000 lines of spoken dialogue. Enough to land it a spot in the Guinness World Records book.

From the LA Times..

It may be the largest entertainment production in history. More than 800 people on four continents have spent six years and nearly $200 million creating it. The story runs 1,600 hours, with hundreds of additional hours still being written. Nearly 1,000 actors have recorded dialogue for 4,000 characters in three languages.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/20/star-wars-the-old-republic-the-story-behind-a-galactic-gamble/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=63378#/0

On a side note their use of extensive and high quality voice acting extends to their other games as well, especially the Mass Effect series.

Numbers
07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
The game has some of the highest caliber voice actors in the business. Steve Blum, Nolan North, Kath Soucie, Rachel Leigh Cook, Tara Strong, Jennifer Hale, Johnny Yong Bosch, Maurice LaMarche, Kevin Michael Richardson, James Urbaniak, Dee Bradley Baker, Fred Tatasciore, Phil LaMarr, Robin Atkin Downes, Yuri Lowenthal. Pretty much everyone who's anyone in the voice acting world was in the cast. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320395/fullcredits

That's obviously still not $200 million, though. I suspect that EA wanted to throw a bunch of money to dethrone WoW and Activision Blizzard, BioWare went on a hiring binge (800 people for one game?) and probably overpaid to poach developers from other companies. I doubt EA ever expected it to cost so much, but they most likely saw the cash that WoW still brings in, and were willing to plow ahead. I also have to wonder how things would have gone if they'd built their own engine, instead of using HeroEngine. I doubt they got much support from Simutronics when using that thing (something we all have firsthand experience with,) and an in-house engine could have been customized specifically for their needs.

Parkbandit
07-18-2012, 07:43 AM
I stand corrected. What a gigantic waste of money.

TheEschaton
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
P.S. SWTOR announces it's going F2P. Liike now.

http://www.swtor.com/free
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=696947

Guess that's that.

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Hah, vindication for everyone that said I was crazy for suggesting the game would be F2P in under a year.

SHAFT
07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't know much about the business side of MMO's, but how will Bioware make money from this? Also, what does this mean for the state of SWTOR?

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Just read the article, it's all explained there. There is still a subscription model but for the most part the whole game is opened up without the need for one.

Drakefang
07-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Free? I just signed up.

Some Rogue
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
GW2 IS STARTING OUT F2P. THAT MUST MEAN THEY ARE A FAILURE TOO!!!!11111

TheEschaton
07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
The idea, SHAFT, is that, on average, players will spend more a month in micro transactions and unlocks than a traditional sub game. Some people spend 0, some spend 100 a month.

As I read it, the future of the sub model (in SWTOR) will be as a steady, monthly source of the in-game currency with which you can buy stuff. But players with a sub will get all the content unlocked for them I think, so they might not need that, and might opt to go F2P.

Drakefang
07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Oh, I guess I should ask what's a good server to start on? I don't plan on playing this game a shitload...it'd be maybe a few hours a day the first week or two tailing to maybe 8-10 hours a week, probably.

TheEschaton
07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
F2P is only starting in Nov, calm down bucko. They're just setting the date for rewards as this month it seems.

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
GW2 IS STARTING OUT F2P. THAT MUST MEAN THEY ARE A FAILURE TOO!!!!11111

No one mentioned anything about that.

Drakefang
07-31-2012, 07:05 PM
F2P is only starting in Nov, calm down bucko. They're just setting the date for rewards as this month it seems.

Yeah, you're right. I was going off your comment in the earlier post, "P.S. SWTOR announces it's going F2P. Liike now." Looks like the F2P is more than somewhat limiting, too. I looked at the info on the game website and even characters are limited. Actually, only standard game content has no limitations at all. No, thanks. Maybe if the characters weren't limited and you had more access to Warzones or Operations. As it is, it looks like it's just a suck you in ploy. Which isn't stupid, either. I don't need full content but something closer to DC Universe's F2P would be nicer.

Also, there is a F2P option currently, but it only allows you to get to level 15.

Drakefang
07-31-2012, 07:06 PM

As I knew it, GW was F2P. You just had to buy the game and expansions themselves.

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 07:10 PM
As I knew it, GW was F2P. You just had to buy the game and expansions themselves.

Correct.

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah, you're right. I was going off your comment in the earlier post, "P.S. SWTOR announces it's going F2P. Liike now." Looks like the F2P is more than somewhat limiting, too. I looked at the info on the game website and even characters are limited. Actually, only standard game content has no limitations at all. No, thanks. Maybe if the characters weren't limited and you had more access to Warzones or Operations. As it is, it looks like it's just a suck you in ploy. Which isn't stupid, either. I don't need full content but something closer to DC Universe's F2P would be nicer.

Also, there is a F2P option currently, but it only allows you to get to level 15.

Right now the main idea is to simply increase the number of people playing the game .

Some Rogue
07-31-2012, 08:48 PM

Of course you weren't implying that at all when you complained how much the game sucked and said how it was going to lose so many subs that it would have to go f2p.

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Of course you weren't implying that at all when you complained how much the game sucked and said how it was going to lose so many subs that it would have to go f2p.

And that is completely unrelated to Guild Wars and their business model. Thanks for playing though chump.

TheEschaton
07-31-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't know that the classes are limited, but certain race/class combinations are limited. Currently in SWTOR, those same combos are limited, but if you level to level 50 in a class, you can then roll that class with any race. Or it might be the other way around, level a race to 50, and you can roll any class as that race. I dunno.

They're just going to move that benefit to being something you buy.

I think it does suck that they're making raids something you buy, but I don't think they could do anything if the f2p model they went to was cosmetic-only cash shop.

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
No class restrictions with the F2P but it doesn't mention anything in regards to race/class combos.

Drakefang
07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
It just said character creation = limited. I didn't read much beyond the basic list itself that showed the differences between sub and F2P. I might still do the trial to level 15 thing, see what it's about.

Androidpk
07-31-2012, 09:54 PM
It's probably a lower limit on the number of characters you can create.

Nathala Crane
07-31-2012, 10:58 PM
I had a blast playing Smuggler/Agent, especially the latter as a Chiss. I want to at least play the other classes' stories, but with this news I'll just wait until it's free.

Androidpk
08-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Maybe this will slow the amount of people leaving the game. They're now below 1 million.

TheEschaton
08-01-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm surprised Back hasn't commented. :P

Some Rogue
08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
And that is completely unrelated to Guild Wars and their business model. Thanks for playing though chump.

I know you can't be that dense...

actually, you probably can. Carry on, Forrest.

Androidpk
08-01-2012, 01:36 AM
I know you can't be that dense...

actually, you probably can. Carry on, Forrest.

WTF are you babbling about? Are you high right now? I know you're daft sometimes but damn. Not once have I ever mentioned F2P games being failures or subpar, I already mentioned that earlier in this very thread.

Some Rogue
08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Maybe something you can understand....

RON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAULRON PAUL, RON, RON PAUL, RON RON PAUL PAUL RON RON PAUL RON PAUL PAUL RON PAUL

Parkbandit
08-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Lulz

Back
08-01-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm surprised Back hasn't commented. :P

Well, this sucks. I am not going to F2P. Bye bye SWTOR. Just another notch on the belt.

Androidpk
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Does your wife force feed you lead paint chips? Your posts in this thread have all been on a sub-Back level.

Back
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Does your wife force feed you lead paint chips? Your posts in this thread have all been on a sub-Back level.

I am guessing you had this in your buffer in response to that bastard PB. Yeah.

Parkbandit
08-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I am guessing you had this in your buffer in response to that bastard PB. Yeah.

Yea, not sure what Pk is referring to. He was probably distracted by masturbating to SR's wall of Ron Paul.

But seriously.. if you are having fun playing SWToR, why would you quit because of a format change? The game remains the same.

Androidpk
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Back, cherish that compliment because it will probably be a long time before you get another one from me. But seriously, I don't see why them switching to F2P would impact your decision on playing the game.

Androidpk
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I was referring to SR's moronic ramblings about GW2 and RP.

Back
08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
But seriously.. if you are having fun playing SWToR, why would you quit because of a format change? The game remains the same.

As a long time gamer I find SWTOR limited unfortunately. Had hopes for it. Very pretty game, decent mechanics, just not deep enough.

Gelston
12-25-2016, 04:35 PM
SWTOR is having a promotion where new or I guess returning dudes can play chapter 1 of the newly released Knights of the Eternal Throne. I guess it is basically a free level 65 character. Anyways, if you're interested, click here:

http://www.swtor.com/r/gxKsQh

If you have any questions about SWTOR feel free to ask. BTW, Harbinger is the best server to play on on the US side.

Gelston
04-11-2017, 01:13 PM
SWTOR is still +250% XP event until the release of 5.2 (which was pushed back) next week. Perfect time to power level to 70.

Feel free to use my referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/gxKsQh

Wrathbringer
04-11-2017, 01:18 PM
SWTOR is still +250% XP event until the release of 5.2 (which was pushed back) next week. Perfect time to power level to 70.

Feel free to use my referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/gxKsQh

wat

Gelston
04-11-2017, 01:22 PM
wat

Sorry, you aren't awesome enough to play SWTOR.

Wrathbringer
04-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Sorry, you aren't awesome enough to play SWTOR.

I've been playing it for about six months now. I got my shart sabre upgraded and am sending my storm poopers all over the galaxy. It's pretty fun.

Gelston
04-11-2017, 01:31 PM
I've been playing it for about six months now. I got my shart sabre upgraded and am sending my storm poopers all over the galaxy. It's pretty fun.

N00b, you get that at like level 10.