PDA

View Full Version : Move the forum?

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
The problem is that it would need to be a huge effort to get people away from this domain, the knowledge in it, and be willing to start "from scratch".

I mean a forum with the exact same layout and a very similar domain name can be put together in less then 48 hours for under $250. Its the content and members that would need to drive the change.

For example:

http://forum.gsplayers.net/

I was asked to post this poll, so here goes:

So as far as I can tell I started this project around midnight last night and between sleeping and getting some work done I have completed the replication of layout and function.

I am ready and willing to just make the move. I have enabled tapatalk on the new version of the site, and by the current administrator's own admission he can not deal with the site until the weekend hours, and the database connection errors have been going on for months if not years. Advancement into new features such as tapatalk have not happened and the forum software has not been updated. We have one active sudo administrator in Anticor, who has limited capabilities in fixing the forum's issues.

The domain name is also hosting content unrelated to the forum, and while I don't feel it is impacting performance it should be something to avoid.

I will admit, that I have an agenda. But maybe others feel the same way. My goal is a more active administrator. Someone who keeps the forum updated to the latest versions and keep popular and fully supported addons and themes installed. Someone who can fix problems and it doesn't take weeks or months to even get a response.

So with that in mind I think its time for a change. That change doesn't have to be me, but I am volunteering. If Kranar is willing to appoint new or more administrators and allow them full access to the site then I feel the domain and data within can remain. But the goal here must be a functionally working forum free of technical glitches and old software.

If Kranar is not willing to do this, then I am prepared to start over with the commitment that the forum with work technically, and the users will make the forum content their own. If you are willing to move your logins, your knowledge, rep whoring, and deal with a lower post count, then I am ready to make a technically sound forum.

diethx
05-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I think I'd like to wait and see what Kranar gets from his host this week.

jpatter123
05-29-2012, 03:49 PM
my opinion is I appreciate this forum, but it's broken to the extent I don't even want to use it. Bring on the new and I leave thanks for the old.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I think I'd like to wait and see what Kranar gets from his host this week.

I agree with this, however it does not solve the majority of the problems. Even if the host resolves the issues and even if a move is not required the facts are that the current response is unacceptable.

If the host problem is resolved, I am still asking for changes to the current administration to allow for faster software updates and actual deployment of features people request.

We tried to save our dying game with donations to the twitter campaign, we rip on Simu for their hosting flubs, its time to get our house in order.

Edit: Phew. Only took 5 times to get this posted!

diethx
05-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I agree with this, however it does not solve the majority of the problems. Even if the host resolves the issues and even if a move is not required the facts are that the current response is unacceptable.

If the host problem is resolved, I am still asking for changes to the current administration to allow for faster software updates and actual deployment of features people request.

We tried to save our dying game with donations to the twitter campaign, we rip on Simu for their hosting flubs, its time to get our house in order.

Edit: Phew. Only took 5 times to get this posted!

I think you're a bit too eager to be in charge of the PC, personally. If Kranar can get this fixed, I'm fine with him continuing to admin.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
I think you're a bit too eager to be in charge of the PC, personally. If Kranar can get this fixed, I'm fine with him continuing to admin.

It doesn't have to be me in charge. I am willing to provide the license for the software and keep it updated and it can be running on a new host. I mean come on. What can someone possibly gain from hosting this forum? I just want someone, anyone, who is more active at keeping this forum updated and running running it.

Edit: I would actually argue that Anticor is "in charge" of the current forum. So if all that happens is someone who can keep it running technically does that, would you have an issue with Anticor doing the daily policing? I am not interested in moderation of the forum, I am mostly just interested in the technical aspects such as hosting it, upgrading it, keeping the license active, and installing features people want. Basically all the things Anticor can't do now.

Edit 2: And you are right I am eager as fuck. I helped create this place with Kranar. To see it falling apart pisses me the fuck off and I want to fix it. So all I want to do is that. Fix it.

Manamethis
05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
I keep trying to respond but I get a database error.

diethx
05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
This community is pretty huge, and arguably, incredibly important to GS and everyone who plays, has played, etc. You'd basically have control over the entire thing. That's a lot to gain, imo.

Ryvicke
05-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Although I would love a forum that was updated nicely I feel like we would lose a ton of people in the transition and I don't want to see that happen, also I feel like there's already a ton of total dramz going on about this even being mentioned and it would be cool to avoid splintering off the entire membership of this board into two boards. If the database errors get fixed here I think we're all good.

AnticorRifling
I feel it is important to point out I'm not wearing pants.

diethx
Also let me clarify my opinion here. I'm not necessarily saying you'd be a bad admin. I wasn't on the PC when you were the admin, so I can't say with any experience that it'd be so. I already made my handle on your forums so if the move becomes necessary, I will definitely go.

I AM saying that I think Kranar is exactly the type of admin I want, save for the DBEs. He's admitted that a fire is now lit under his ass, so I'm willing to wait and see if he takes care of it.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Also let me clarify my opinion here. I'm not necessarily saying you'd be a bad admin. I wasn't on the PC when you were the admin, so I can't say with any experience that it'd be so. I already made my handle on your forums so if the move becomes necessary, I will definitely go.

I AM saying that I think Kranar is exactly the type of admin I want, save for the DBEs. He's admitted that a fire is now lit under his ass, so I'm willing to wait and see if he takes care of it.

Just to clarify my position as "Admin". It would be to let the members of the forum run the show just like it is now. All the rules and current policies would be in place just like they are now. I have no desire to change the style of the PC. Just change the technical aspects of it.

I would create a different user account and continue to post with my normal user account subject to all the same rules as any regular member with no super powers associated with it. The "admin" account would be used for the sole purpose of upgrading the software. Everything else would be under the control of someone like Anticor who currently is doing all the day to day tasks.

So in that sense I would be exactly the kind of admin Kranar is now.

Except you would have no DBEs with faster updates and feature implementations. So while I agree with you that if the DBE problem is fixed, which I will be happy for, I still think something needs to change in regards to getting updates and features done when users request them.

I am all for other people stepping in to help. Again this is not about me other than I am frustrated and angry that Kranar has let the forum devolve to this state. These DB errors have been an ongoing problem since 2010 and nobody can deny that the forum software is missing key features and updates.

Anyways I digress. I have tried to state as clear as possible what my goal is with this. I have stated I have a goal in mind, and that goal remains very simple.

Make the forum work and keep it updated.

Ryvicke
05-29-2012, 04:18 PM
But how will I call you a racist motherfucker in all the political threads if you are the admin?? It will seriously cut down on my freedom of speech. I had to lay off Anticor like three times last week when he was spouting his neo-nazi propaganda.

Drew
05-29-2012, 04:19 PM
I think that if Kranar fixes the DB problems you won't have a critical mass to move and would just split some people off (maybe). I think the general consensus is "let's see what Kranar does for in the next couple of weeks."

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 04:19 PM
But how will I call you a racist motherfucker in all the political threads if you are the admin?? It will seriously cut down on my freedom of speech. I had to lay off Anticor like three times last week when he was spouting his neo-nazi propaganda.

I have no issue with you calling me names on the interwebz. I have thick skin!

I think that if Kranar fixes the DB problems you won't have a critical mass to move and would just split some people off (maybe). I think the general consensus is "let's see what Kranar does for in the next couple of weeks."

You are right. I am in the same camp. I was just asked to post the poll and maybe some people are ready to move now. So they can vote yes. Maybe others no matter what happens are against it. So they can vote no. Others can wait to post their response as the poll has 60 days to respond.

Parkbandit
05-29-2012, 04:24 PM
I would create a different user account and continue to post

Would we know this login is you.. or would you deny it to the point of going full emo and making a ridiculous bets to make it look like it's not you?

Too soon?

PS - FUCKING DBE POSTING THIS FUCKING POST FUYCKINGOAIHFDAKLISUJNB:IDSAUJNBDSA:IUJNBFAS:OIUJH BNFA:OIUJNHDS:OAIJSNH:AOSJN

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Would we know this login is you.. or would you deny it to the point of going full emo and making a ridiculous bets to make it look like it's not you?

Too soon?

PS - FUCKING DBE POSTING THIS FUCKING POST FUYCKINGOAIHFDAKLISUJNB:IDSAUJNBDSA:IUJNBFAS:OIUJH BNFA:OIUJNHDS:OAIJSNH:AOSJN

LOL. You would know its me.

JustDan
05-29-2012, 04:49 PM
The database errors have rendered the forum so infuriatingly inconsistent that I've abandoned a decent chunk of my merchanting activity, and have stopped coming here as often as I usually would. I'm all in favor of a FIX, one way or another. If the solution is a move, I'm all over it and will help any way I can. I'll even start the Show Your Boobs thread, because that's the kinda helper I am.

That being said, it'd be NICE to have this forum get fixed. If nothing else, I use it to search old posts for data fairly frequently, and all that would get lost with a move. It sounds like we've got some momentum in the right direction (maybe) from Kranar. But if it doesn't happen soon, then full speed ahead and I'm on board.

crb
05-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Still better than the officials, amiright?

Androidpk
05-29-2012, 05:01 PM

We're practically related.

diethx
05-29-2012, 05:19 PM
I use it to search

looooooooool

Tgo01
05-29-2012, 05:19 PM
If these forums do end up closing down because everyone leaves I think Kranar should make it so everyone can read who left you rep, that would be a great way to start the new forums.

Drew
05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
One thing I like about the current setup is that kranar doesn't play anymore, and buckwheet is an active merchant. How tempting would it be to look through the PMs of your rivals to get the upper hand in an item sale? I'm not saying buckwheet would do that, but the current setup we have removes the temptation which could be strong.

Wrathbringer
05-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Attempted to pos rep, but dbe.

DaCapn
05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Nobody wants content (or populations) to get forked and nobody wants any of the information here to get lost, fade, etc if a new forum becomes dominant. I'd prefer Buckwheet to get an admin account here and shake it up a bit. These kind of positions need fresh blood every so often to keep things moving.

Any administrative structure opens up opportunity for abuse. Even if an active admin is no longer playing, they probably still have some good friends who do (and might ask for a favor from time to time). I'm totally unconcerned about Buckweet in this position, personally. Merchant-wise he doesn't play silly games, often sells good stuff on the cheap, and is straight up. I think that says a lot about his personality.

Still better than the officials, amiright?
Even with database errors, the PC is easier and faster to navigate by orders of magnitude.

Tgo01
05-29-2012, 06:45 PM
If these forums do end up closing down because everyone leaves I think Kranar should make it so everyone can read who left you rep, that would be a great way to start the new forums.

Move the forum? 05-29-2012 05:48 PM who the fuck cares who left you rep you really care what people you don't know said anonymously to you on the internet?

you mad?

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 06:49 PM
One thing I like about the current setup is that kranar doesn't play anymore, and buckwheet is an active merchant. How tempting would it be to look through the PMs of your rivals to get the upper hand in an item sale? I'm not saying buckwheet would do that, but the current setup we have removes the temptation which could be strong.

I would be willing to back out of cash sales and non-public bidding if the community requested it. I mean I have to be able to buy stuff, but I would make all my bids public just step away from the liquidation purchases and sales I have been doing in the past.

I have zero problem addressing this because it is a valid concern over any position with access to privileged information.

JustDan
05-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Inspire 4 Admin!

Mogonis
05-29-2012, 06:59 PM
I mean I have to be able to buy stuff, but I would make all my bids public just step away from the liquidation purchases and sales I have been doing in the past.
There's no way for us to know for certain the bids we see you make are the only bids you've made.

Manamethis
05-29-2012, 07:10 PM
I'll take buckwheet knowing everything about everything over a forum that doesnt work

AnticorRifling
05-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Inspire 4 Admin!

I will kick you in the dick.

Rinualdo
05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
I will kick you in the dick.

And by dick, he means weiner dog.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 08:10 PM
There's no way for us to know for certain the bids we see you make are the only bids you've made.

I don't know what you mean by that? I am saying I have to be able to buy stuff for my guys? I would stop the buying/reselling merchant roll.

Mogonis
05-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't know what you mean by that? I am saying I have to be able to buy stuff for my guys? I would stop the buying/reselling merchant roll.
Someone switched your . and ? keys?

Which is it? You'd stop merchanting on the forum you create, or you'd merchant but make all your bids public? If the latter, we'd have to trust your word that you aren't making deals in private.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 08:29 PM

Which is it? You'd stop merchanting on the forum you create, or you'd merchant but make all your bids public? If the latter, we'd have to trust your word that you aren't making deals in private.

I guess I don't understand the question. Regardless it doesn't look like it will be of any concern, but I guess my question back to would be what did you think was happening when Kranar or other members of the team were operating the forum and were still actively playing?

And why did nobody raise the concern then?

Mogonis
05-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Not sure how to further clarify the question, so we'll just punt it into a volcano.

You raise a fair question. I don't think I was active on the forum when Kranar was.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I guess I don't understand the question. Regardless it doesn't look like it will be of any concern, but I guess my question back to would be what did you think was happening when Kranar or other members of the team were operating the forum and were still actively playing?

And why did nobody raise the concern then?

There's been substantial amounts of drama because of mods (not sure about admins.. was HN an admin?) abusing power in various ways, game related and otherwise. As other people have pointed out, a huge part of the reason we all love Kranar as an admin is that he's pretty detached from the forums and thus basically just fixes shit and intervenes when someone's being like IW or posting dox and shit. So it wasn't just that concern was raised, it was something that we all had to deal with. It's been nice having mods/admins who have a strong track record without the power abuse drama and people are understandably skittish about shaking a good thing like that up.

Solkern
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Buckwheet was one of the original creators of these forums, along side Kranar, I wouldn't care if buckwheet or Kranar ran it, as long as these fucking errors get fixed.

Though I would like to see more active admins and mods.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 09:16 PM
There's been substantial amounts of drama because of mods (not sure about admins.. was HN an admin?) abusing power in various ways, game related and otherwise. As other people have pointed out, a huge part of the reason we all love Kranar as an admin is that he's pretty detached from the forums and thus basically just fixes shit and intervenes when someone's being like IW or posting dox and shit. So it wasn't just that concern was raised, it was something that we all had to deal with. It's been nice having mods/admins who have a strong track record without the power abuse drama and people are understandably skittish about shaking a good thing like that up.

I know nothing about any of that. I would say that being detached is a good thing until it affects everyone using the forum. Which is what is happening now. If Kranar fixes it, then we are all good. I would like to think that I have a pretty strong record of being responsible and I don't know how many more times I can stress this but..

Basically what I want is an admin account to just to technical stuff. Yes I guess I can go fish around in the database and link accounts up with PMs and figure out who you are and blah blah blah. But really, its not worth my time and the value I could "steal" from someone is so small compared to handling over five million social security numbers that there really is no point.

Again, think of it as a server administration position. If I need access to the admin part of the forum someone who you already trust, like Anticor can change the password and give it to me. I do my work, he changes it back. But really its quite silly because I do work for the Department of the Interior and they see fit to trust me with their children's data as does the entire state of Kentucky. Those are my qualifications. If that doesn't convince you then the onus is on you to tell me what would. Because I have offered to do just about anything the community feels would "build trust". I mean I have done thousand dollar deals with many people on the forum with my current reputation, I have provided my personal contact information to people who have asked without question, there are a handful of people on the forum who know me personally, know where I live, know where I work, and would track me down for you just to spit in my face if I screwed someone.

In all those dealings, doing 100k in dealings with Paypal, more than that through Ebay I think I am pretty trusted. I would like to think that people would trust me to handle a simple thing of installing an update package or moving a database. Not to mention there are many other tech savy people here, Anticor included, who could be given access to tools to track my progress such as Webex if people really wanted to watch me do the update live.

I held many people's personal information when I ran the forum originally. To think that somehow I feel that information gives me motive to make an extra hundred bucks is silly.

Anyways point taken you don't trust me, and I don't mind.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Look, I don't really know you from Adam. I don't speak for the rest of the PC obviously but I can go off of how you're acting right now and you seem to get defensive and riled up pretty easily and that effects the tone you take.. so I have to wonder, what else will it effect? No offense but the wall of text isn't really helping your case here.

Awesome that you work in a job that requires you to be trusted. This is less of a "trust" issue at least as far as I'm approaching it (I'm not worried you're going to get some sort of personal info or jacking money from everyone) and more that I really like the moderation (or lack thereof) around this place and having a kind of distant admin. For all I know you could be an awesome admin, but what's broken on the PC right now is just the stupid fucking database errors (well and I suppose search and tapatalk) and not the admin/moderation job... so let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Kranar got the wake up call, the fire is lit under his ass, and I'd prefer to give him a fair shake of fixing the wheel before we go re-inventing it... and I'd hazard a guess most of the PC feels the same. Don't take it personally.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Look, I don't really know you from Adam. I don't speak for the rest of the PC obviously but I can go off of how you're acting right now and you seem to get defensive and riled up pretty easily and that effects the tone you take.. so I have to wonder, what else will it effect? No offense but the wall of text isn't really helping your case here.

Awesome that you work in a job that requires you to be trusted. This is less of a "trust" issue at least as far as I'm approaching it (I'm not worried you're going to get some sort of personal info or jacking money from everyone) and more that I really like the moderation (or lack thereof) around this place and having a kind of distant admin. For all I know you could be an awesome admin, but what's broken on the PC right now is just the stupid fucking database errors (well and I suppose search and tapatalk) and not the admin/moderation job... so let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Kranar got the wake up call, the fire is lit under his ass, and I'd prefer to give him a fair shake of fixing the wheel before we go re-inventing it... and I'd hazard a guess most of the PC feels the same. Don't take it personally.

I don't know how I can make it any more clear. I don't want to moderate any content.

I also don't see how providing factual information is getting riled up, but thats probably because you don't know me from Adam. I don't know you either, and you seem to read a lot more into the words I type then what I mean.

So here it is again.

I don't want to moderate any content. Anticor is fully capable as an administrator to turn on or off any account he chooses. So you make an account. This said account is only used to make technical changes to the forum. When the person doing the updates is done the account is disabled again.

There is no moderation of content going on on that account period.

Edit: Trying to edit but got DBE

I am also not suggesting it happen over night. There is no reason to do so since I am trusting Kranar at his word that he is going to fix it. I hope he does, I really do. But you already answered no to me without waiting to see what Kranar will or won't do, so you sound like you have made up your mind. So I am not going to try and change it.

Reliel
05-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I had a reply but it got eaten by DBE.

Androidpk
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Nikki voted yes in my poll and no in this one. I feel loved.

Buckwheet
05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Nikki voted yes in my poll and no in this one. I feel loved.

I love you too. Check your PM for pics.

Parkbandit
05-29-2012, 09:55 PM

I agree.. but let's be honest: If Buckwheat didn't illustrate how simple it is to create a duplicate site today.. that fire wouldn't have been lit under Kranar's ass and we would still be in the same position we've been in for the past year. Databaseerrorpalooza.

TheEschaton
05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
DBEgate?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Databaserrorgeddon

That was surprisingly difficult to type

diethx
05-29-2012, 10:33 PM
DBEpocalypse

Nattor
05-29-2012, 11:25 PM
All I can say is tapatalk would be awesome.

And this post took four attempts.

thefarmer
05-29-2012, 11:42 PM
LIN-...

Nah. I'll pass this time.

Androidpk
05-29-2012, 11:52 PM
LIN-...

Nah. I'll pass this time.

Feeling ok?

Gelston
05-29-2012, 11:58 PM
We can all move to these forums!

http://web.archive.org/web/20031016191704/http://www.klaive.net/forums/

DaCapn
05-30-2012, 12:01 AM

Some people just make their case with the amount of words they feel it requires with the emotional vigor of a vulcan. Often readers will add in fist pounding, crying, and howling on their own end.

There has been a good dozen posts in this thread questioning his integrity (even if indirectly in most cases). I suppose I was under the impression that the people who posted said comments wanted to hear something back.

SHAFT
05-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Oh fuck it's Mogonis! How's your balls?

Androidpk
05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Oh fuck it's Mogonis! How's your balls?

Why are you asking about his balls?

Reliel
05-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Why are you not?

You are very hurtful.

Androidpk
05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Should I be? Does he havenall cancer?

SHAFT
05-30-2012, 07:12 PM

It's another way of asking him "How are things?"

crb
05-30-2012, 07:34 PM
new server is superfast

SHAFT
05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
new server is superfast

Oh yeah. This shit is greased lightning. No errors either

Kitsun
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Holy shit, the search function is working.

Buckwheet
05-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I think this thread can be locked and poll closed.