PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up Animal Conservation

Atlanteax
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/05/24/its-legal-to-shoot-and-kill-animal-poachers-indian-state-order/?ncid=webmail12

NEW DELHI -- A state in western India has declared war on animal poaching by allowing forest guards to shoot hunters on sight in an effort to curb rampant attacks on tigers and other wildlife.

The government in Maharashtra says injuring or killing suspected poachers will no longer be considered a crime.

Forest guards should not be "booked for human rights violations when they have taken action against poachers," Maharashtra Forest Minister Patangrao Kadam said Tuesday. The state also will send more rangers and jeeps into the forest, and will offer secret payments to informers who give tips about poachers and animal smugglers, he said.

No tiger poachers have ever been shot in Maharashtra, though cases of illegal loggers and fishermen being shot have led to charges against forest guards, according to the state's chief wildlife warden, S.W.H. Naqvi.

But the threat could act as a significant deterrent to wildlife criminals, conservationists said. A similar measure allowing guards to fire on poachers in Assam has helped the northeast state's population of endangered one-horned rhinos recover.

"These poachers have lost all fear. They just go in and poach what they want because they know the risks are low," said Divyabhanusinh Chavda, who heads the World Wildlife Fund in India and is a key member of the National Wildlife Board, which advises the prime minister. In many of India's reserves, guards are armed with little more than sticks.

Honestly, it should be legal for park rangers in Africa to shoot poachers too (if it is not already the case). The deterrence to poachers needs to be made much more significant, and this move in India only indicates how desperate the situation is.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Now to send the forest guards some barrett M82's.

AnticorRifling
05-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Send me one.

Androidpk
05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Weighing in around 30 lbs I'd hate to haul that around, especially if I'm hunting hunters. I will however take one of these

http://i49.tinypic.com/241ms9i.jpg

AnticorRifling
05-24-2012, 01:52 PM
See I don't know why but I'm still not a huge fan of "LETS PUT RAILS ON THAT SHIT!" I know they serve a decent purpose and I get that but fuck are they ugly.

Also what is that chambering?

Gelston
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
7.62 NATO

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as15/m14_mk14.jpg

That one is prettier!

Latrinsorm
05-24-2012, 02:17 PM
It seems like arming the guards first and seeing how that goes would be a better step than telling the guys with sticks to shoot people.

Androidpk
05-24-2012, 02:33 PM
See I don't know why but I'm still not a huge fan of "LETS PUT RAILS ON THAT SHIT!" I know they serve a decent purpose and I get that but fuck are they ugly.

Also what is that chambering?

If it's good enough for Navy SEALs... nah, fuck it, that rifle is sexy as hell.

Androidpk
05-24-2012, 02:36 PM
7.62 NATO

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as15/m14_mk14.jpg

That one is prettier!

This one is (I believe) an MK14 mod 0, the one I posted is the M39 EMR. Both incredibly effective at what they do and quite pretty.

AnticorRifling
05-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I get the function, I'm not denying the function. Rails on everything looks stupid as shit.

Androidpk
05-24-2012, 02:57 PM
I get the function, I'm not denying the function. Rails on everything looks stupid as shit.

What would you use in place of rails? Nothing?

AnticorRifling
05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
It doesn't need to be head to toe rails. A little bit of rail fine, hell even the intervention has a short rail section, that's fine. I get why they do it, standardized "bolt ons" for specific ops. It just dumb looking when most of the weapon is covered in rails.

gimmie one of these:

http://www.militarypictures.info/d/855-3/psg1.jpg

No rails, just sexiness.

Atlanteax
05-24-2012, 03:13 PM
The hunter becomes the hunted?

Back
05-24-2012, 03:46 PM
So an animal's life is worth more than a human being's?

Gelston
05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
I'd say an entire species is worth more than a couple lawbreakers. It won't take a lot until they get the point, as this same sort of thing has been passed in other Indian provinces for different animals and was very effective.

thefarmer
05-24-2012, 04:10 PM
For a second I was impressed because I thought this was IndiaNA and we were going to have pictures of Anticor and Rojo standing next to some shot-up poacher hanging upside down while being measured.

Then I was sad.

AnticorRifling
05-24-2012, 04:17 PM

Depends on the animal and the human.

Atlanteax
05-24-2012, 04:23 PM

So Back says that a serial killer's life would be worth more than the very last of (almost extinct tiger breed) ?

I think the misguided conception that a human being's life >>>> all / everything else ... is what continues to cause a lot of problems for this planet.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-24-2012, 04:39 PM
So Back says that a serial killer's life would be worth more than the very last of (almost extinct tiger breed) ?

I think the misguided conception that a human being's life >>>> all / everything else ... is what continues to cause a lot of problems for this planet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd likely kill someone if they were abusing (and I don't mean spraying water on them you hippy tree huggers, I mean torturing them or maiming them or fixing to kill them) my dogs and a gun was in my hands. But I'm emotionally attached to my dogs and a good shot :)

I also think the world is over populated and don't mind if lawbreakers get culled from the herd. Should've started with Michael Vick.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Yours? Or in general?

Back
05-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Ask a simple question and you folks get riled up. Yeesh.

It so happens I agree with you and am surprised to see so many people who I would consider "conservatives" agree as well. Just goes to show we all need to reconsider our labeling of each other.

Doesn't the Bible say something about the value of a man's life versus an animal's?

Androidpk
05-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Sega genesis 1:26

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Atlanteax
05-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Note that for that matter, it says "rule over" not "cull".

Androidpk
05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Note that for that matter, it says "rule over" not "cull".

Right, basically a shepherd in charge of a flock, is how I take it.

leifastagsweed
05-29-2012, 11:34 AM
http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/76/76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

Tigers are cute and cuddly.