PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite Scary Movie...

DeV
07-02-2004, 12:21 PM
For me it was Halloween. I believe when I was around 13 I rented and watched all the Halloween movies in the series that were available at the time. I slept with the lights on for about 2 weeks after.

What's yours?

discuss

Nieninque
07-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I like the exorcist and I like all of the X-files because they are true stories

Trinitis
07-02-2004, 12:23 PM
I dono..some of my friends say I'm weird because its not commonly "viewed" as a scary movie..

But Signs creeped me out BIG TIME.

Numbers
07-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Crossroads scared the hell out of me.

SiKWiDiT
07-02-2004, 12:39 PM
It took me like three times to get through 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre', and I've still got this weird twitch from watching 'The Ring'.

Bobmuhthol
07-02-2004, 12:42 PM
The Ring was the stupidest fucking movie EVAR. It wasn't scary, it was redundant, and it sucked.

I've always like Child's Play, if you consider it a scary movie.

CrystalTears
07-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Psycho. I still get paranoid taking a shower when I'm alone.

Trinitis
07-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears

Not a problem! Let me know when, and I'll come over to keep ya company :saint:

Valthissa
07-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears

make that two votes for Psycho.

the original Cape Fear was creepy...Robert Mitchum was perfect as Max Cady

C/Valth

DianaBanana
07-02-2004, 01:35 PM
I dont know if I'd call the remake of Dawn of the Dead scary, but it certainly had moments that made me jump. I just really really liked that movie. Anyone know when it will be out on DVD?

07-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Damn. I thought the King's Shining was the scariest damn movie by a longshot.

CrystalTears
07-02-2004, 02:12 PM
The Shining is a close second. Those twins gave me the willies. :uglyclown:

Wezas
07-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Michael Jackson's "Thriller" when I was a kid.

GSLeloo
07-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I found the book Shining to be scarier than the movie...

But the movie that scared the shit out of me was IT when I was a little kid, it made me terrified of clowns. Luckily I never went to a circus.

Latrinsorm
07-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
The Ring was the stupidest fucking movie EVAR. It wasn't scary, it was redundant, and it sucked.I'd agree with you so long as the lights were on and there wasn't a TV that tends to wonk out (i.e. the TV in my room) in a five mile radius.

Yes, the Ring still creeps me out. But the Lord protects me, so it's all good.

Mint
07-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Is The Ring the one where the little girl climbs out of the television? If it is then yes, I admit to sleeping with the lights on for the next couple of nights. And I did NOT go to sleep with my TV on which sometimes I do.

Another good one but kinda old is Ghost Story.

Czeska
07-02-2004, 02:54 PM
The Ring was creepy shit.
The Cell was creepy shit.
Nightmare on Elm St. scared me when I was 14.

Now.. the news scares me.

DeV
07-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Unsolved Mysteries is also kinda creepy depending on the case.

The Ring was creepy. The Dentist was just :?: If you can watch the entire movie without turning away you're dead inside.

Sweets
07-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Exorcist III
I liked Amityville when I first saw it. Too bad it turned out to be a scam.

I find the books are more scary then the movies. Ghost Story the book was awesome.

The was only one book that I couldn't read at night. Devil in Connecticut. Scary shit.

Anyway...movies....right.

I like the tv movie Rose Red. The Changling is a classic. Texas Chainsaw Masacre was a jumpy movie but it's more of a slasher than scary.My all time favorite is....(drum roll)

Evil Dead.

AnticorRifling
07-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Event Horizon

GSLeloo
07-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Was the Dentist where he'd like.. rip their teeth out or something?

Trinitis
07-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo

But the movie that scared the shit out of me was IT when I was a little kid, it made me terrified of clowns. Luckily I never went to a circus.

The movie IT never really bothered me. The book gave me nightmares :sniffle:

GSLeloo
07-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin

The movie IT never really bothered me. The book gave me nightmares :sniffle:

I agree with you there. The book was worse and a lot more strange. Like that scene where at like 12 the girl sleeps with every single one of the boys? Um.. what was the point of that?

Trinitis
07-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Following the "line" of the book, each kid brought something to the group. Courage, leadership, etc etc. The girl, in Kings sick twisted mind, kept the group together in their time of need. By makin with the sex with them all.

King is VERY twisted.

But then again, in the same book, he had a leaper trying to give a little boy a hummer..so..

Edit to add :

After have reading the unbriged vrs of IT, Misery, and The Stand. I've desided the movies are VERY toned down compaired to his books.

Misery is a great example. When Anne "hobbles" the main char, in the movie she uses a sledge hammer on his feet and ankles. In the book, she hacks said feet and ankles off with a dull axe. It takes many, many wacks..and about 4 pages in the book to discribe it.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by LordAdredrin]

GSLeloo
07-02-2004, 03:57 PM
His books aren't just graphic they're usually like incredibly disgusting. I remember one book where like basically a rotting corpse began to massage the guys penis to give him an erection.. he's so obsessed with breasts, erections, and like just sex.

Trinitis
07-02-2004, 03:59 PM
His books aren't just graphic they're usually like incredibly disgusting. I remember one book where like basically a rotting corpse began to massage the guys penis to give him an erection.. he's so obsessed with breasts, erections, and like just sex.

Yep, but at the same time, some of his books (The Stand) can have a HUGE effect on you reading it. The unabriged vrs of The Stand is HUGE..and is a very VERY good read. Lots of stuff that makes you stop and think.

Mint
07-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Agreed. I tried to read the Stand really slowly to make it last because it was one of those books you just don't want to end.

Bobmuhthol
07-02-2004, 04:02 PM
People that get scared by movies or books need to be slapped.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Bobmuhthol]

Trinitis
07-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
People that get scared by movies or books need to be slapped.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Bobmuhthol]

Same could be said for people who are too close minded to "Get into" a book or movie enough to allow themselves to be frightened. Thats half the fun.

But you can keep going to movies actin the "tuff guy" and miss out. No skin off my rear.

Pulpit
07-02-2004, 04:26 PM
I have a number of horror movies I like
top three would be

1.Pet Cemetery
2.Hell Raiser series 1 and 2 I liked the most but the last one was a good one as well
3.Phantasm movies

Honorable mention
the Omen series
Evil dead
Amityville Horror movies
The ones already mentioned in this topic of course

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Pulpit]

Delirium
07-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Night Of The Living Dead is the best horror movie ever in my opinion. This movie freaked me out as a little kid. Id have to walk down a very dark long hall to my room and i kept imaging one of the living dead behind me ready to attack me. Scared the piss out of me. Even now when i watch it i feel like a little kid again and i watch it for that very reason.

I also agree with Adredrin that if you cant break from reality so that you're never moved by a movie or a book you are to be pittied. I cant imagine going thru life without that.

Weedmage Princess
07-02-2004, 06:50 PM
I know I'll be mocked for this but I'll say it anyway...

The Blair Witch Project.

Reason is I saw it when it first came out and was under the pretense that it was real.

The Ring creeped me out a bit too...oh and The Bone Collector (I think that's the name of it? With Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie) scared the hell out of me...all the things the people did to try to escape were things I would have tried...and they died anyway :scared:

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Weedmage Princess]

CrystalTears
07-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Delirium
I also agree with Adredrin that if you cant break from reality so that you're never moved by a movie or a book you are to be pittied. I cant imagine going thru life without that.

People who can break away like that tend to be good roleplayers because they tend to "feel" through the characters. The ones that can't are sometimes the ones who tell people that have felt emotions while playing that they're idiots. :shrug:

And Weedie, you're not alone with BWP. That movie spooked me out too, and it's mostly because stories about ghosts give me the heebie-jeebies.

[Edited on 7/2/2004 by CrystalTears]

Souzy
07-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by SiKWiDiT
I've still got this weird twitch from watching 'The Ring'.

Wuss, that movie was kinda retarded. Exorcist part 1 is the scariest movie EVAR.

07-02-2004, 06:57 PM
A few people have mentioned books, and with little reading i've been doing, Red Dragon takes the cake. If you've read it, I have your photograph being developed :grin:, if not, you should.
:axe:

Kriztian
07-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Another vote here for The Shining (the original, not the made-for-tv bomb). Given the fact I was about 12 when I first saw it...yeah...nightmares aplomb. The book was even scarier.

Second place, The Exorcist.
Third, The Omen.

The Freddy Halloween movies just make me laugh. They are predictable and silly.

HarmNone
07-02-2004, 07:49 PM
The Shining scared the crap out of me, as did The Birds and Psycho. The Night of the Living Dead (full length, not the cut version) was horrifying.

Red Dragon has been made into a movie not once, but twice. The first one was not called Red Dragon, and I can't remember what it was called, dammit. :( It was terrifying, as well.

HarmNone

DianaBanana
07-02-2004, 07:54 PM
The Ring was not scary or creepy. It was completely and utterly lame. :yes2:

07-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Red Dragon has been made into a movie not once, but twice. The first one was not called Red Dragon, and I can't remember what it was called, dammit. It was terrifying, as well.

Manhunter, 1986...

I've only seen Silence, as a movie, out of the series tho

Chadj
07-02-2004, 09:12 PM
I love scary movies.

07-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Me too. BWAHAHAha. :axe: :axe:

Blazing247
07-03-2004, 01:22 AM
I haven't been scared by a movie since I was 8. At that time, my older brother made me watch Nightmare on Elm Street. I had some fucked up nightmare about Freddie for many years.

1-2 Freddie's coming for you...that song and the little girls playing jump rope = scary shit for an 8 year old.

Final Destination didn't scare me, but it's one of the only movies to get me to jump in the theater. That girl getting hit by the bus made me yell out "Holy SHIT" in a crowded theater.

pennywise
07-03-2004, 02:50 AM
IT and Poltergeist (the clown under the bed) taught me a fear of clowns the likes of which nothing has ever matched.

07-03-2004, 03:29 AM
Signs was cool the first time I saw it. After that is was like "Been there".

It was awesome how in the end of the movie when the aliens start invading and the news goes off, giving the feeling of total isolation. That rocked my socks.

Other than that, no movies have scared me badly. A creepy one definatly was "The Others"

- Arkans

longshot
07-03-2004, 03:46 AM
I've never been as scared as when I saw The Ring.

I don't know why... but wow! I was sweating in the theatre.

I went to bed with my lights on while watching a Woody Allen movie on my laptop so I wouldn't have to think about it.

Since the orignal movie in came out in Japan, I don't think there's been a single girl named Sadako.

Artha
07-03-2004, 03:53 AM
Yeah...The Ring was god damn freaky. I think it's the only movie I stopped watching halfway through, even though it was good.

Another scary movie: Glitter.

Pulpit
07-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Another Good one I liked is Thirteen Ghosts

07-03-2004, 05:48 PM
The Ring was kinda of gh3y. The plot was a bit weak and made no sense.

It was like this:

"Yeah, so I'm this evil ghost. You need to spread information about me, but when you do find out, Imma PWN u".

Riiiight.

- Arkans

Weedmage Princess
07-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Aww leave Mariah Carey alone, Artha :(

Nieninque
07-03-2004, 06:22 PM
I liked The Others, though it wasnt exactly scary, the same with sixth sense

Weedmage Princess
07-03-2004, 06:23 PM
The Others? Is that the one with Nicole Kidman and her kids....where it turns out that they're actually the ghosts haunting their old house?

Artha
07-03-2004, 06:34 PM
THANKS FOR RUINING IT FOR ME :((((((

asshole89
07-04-2004, 04:30 PM
texas chainsaw - both of em

DianaBanana
07-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by asshole89
texas chainsaw - both of em

The original is NOT scary. :foshizzle:

Edaarin
07-04-2004, 05:08 PM
About Schmidt.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Kathy Bates ever reveal any part of her body.

<-- Still having nightmares.

Rhynik
07-04-2004, 05:28 PM
When I saw The Ring... I was in a theatre without a single other person.

It was a little freaky.

I love horror movies(Not slasher flicks) But they don't scare me. They entertain me.

Nieninque
07-04-2004, 05:59 PM
:lol: - Artha

Yep - Weedie