PDA

View Full Version : Young Sorcerer

Reliel
05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
I'd like to get some thoughts and critiquing on my skills at the moment to see if I'm doing it right. My goal is to be a pure caster

Current level is 7.

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use.......................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...............| 45 9
Arcane Symbols...............| 40 8
Magic Item Use................| 45 9
Harness Power.................| 40 8
Elemental Mana Control.....| 35 7
Spirit Mana Control...........| 35 7
Perception......................| 35 7
Climbing..........................| 45 9
Swimming........................| 45 9

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental.......| 6

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit............| 3

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...............| 9

I know that most of you are going to be telling me to pick up spell aiming and swing for 30 days. I am a pure caster for both RP and to learn the ins and outs (strengths and weaknesses too) of my class. Spell aiming is a post cap goal since I'll have the mana to regularly cast balefire.

Xzean
05-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Keep tripling spells, get Sorc sphere to +21. You don't need more then 15 climb/swim until much later. Stop armor at 8, PF you can either 1x forever or get like 24 and then stop. All of this advice is on the sorc forum, incidentally.

audioserf
05-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I was one of the dudes on Lnet telling you to swing but your training looks good. I agree with Xzean's advice, too.

Reliel
05-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Keep tripling spells, get Sorc sphere to +21. You don't need more then 15 climb/swim until much later. Stop armor at 8, PF you can either 1x forever or get like 24 and then stop. All of this advice is on the sorc forum, incidentally.

I'm about 2.3x in spells or so. I'm going to 1x swim/climb/PF since I have a load of PTPs left over. What originally lead me to the current build I have was searching the forums first and asking questions second.

Now that I think on it, is there any penalty for converting PTP to MTP?

Wheelerm
05-21-2012, 10:43 AM
No penalty for converting PTP to MTP.

Edited to add:

Most sorcerers who wish to wear armor heavier than full leather do not worry about training off MAvA and instead only train off casting hindrance. Thus, many sorcerers who wish to wear double leather would train only 6 times in Armor Use, which is enough to train off both the Armor RT and reduce the Sorcerer spell hindrance to the minimum amount.

Quoted from "To Be a Socerer" by Eredhen i’Larien. If you do a google search, you can find this document. It really helped with my sorcerer build, by the way.

Reliel
05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
So would it be worth converting PTPs to MTP in order to 3x spells?

I tried to google that and got nothing worth while.

Wheelerm
05-21-2012, 11:02 AM
When I google "To be a sorcerer Eredhen i’Larien" it's the second hit on my results. It's a word document.

Try this hyperlink: http://tinyurl.com/7xdjc5u

Wheelerm
05-21-2012, 11:07 AM
So would it be worth converting PTPs to MTP in order to 3x spells?

Sure...what else are you gonna use them for? :)

zhelas
05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
No penalty for converting PTP to MTP.

Edited to add:

Most sorcerers who wish to wear armor heavier than full leather do not worry about training off MAvA and instead only train off casting hindrance. Thus, many sorcerers who wish to wear double leather would train only 6 times in Armor Use, which is enough to train off both the Armor RT and reduce the Sorcerer spell hindrance to the minimum amount.

Quoted from "To Be a Socerer" by Eredhen i’Larien. If you do a google search, you can find this document. It really helped with my sorcerer build, by the way.

Yes to get the minimum amount of hinderance is only 6 ranks of armor.

However....

It is 8 ranks of armor to be fully trained to wear doubles.... not having 8 ranks will give you a maneuver penalty.

Zhelas

Peace

Wheelerm
05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes to get the minimum amount of hinderance is only 6 ranks of armor.

However....

It is 8 ranks of armor to be fully trained to wear doubles.... not having 8 ranks will give you a maneuver penalty.

Zhelas

Peace

Yup, that's right. I believe the quote was contingent upon not worrying about training off the MAvA and only worrying about the spell hinderance...since MAvA is mainly used for things like sweeping, disarming, throwing, or other such actions, is it really a big deal for a pure who doesn't seem to be interested in melee? In any case, he has 8 ranks, and I would not recommend dropping it back to 6 since he already has it...

Reliel
05-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I'll do some conversion fiddling next level since I'm still in my first 30.

Wheelerm
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Did you find the document? It has all sorts of training paths to consider - everything from ranged to runestaff wielder with recommended training for each of those paths. It's a really, really useful document.

Reliel
05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
I read through it. It does have quite a degree of information and much to think about. Thank you for making me aware of it.

Malok
05-22-2012, 02:22 AM
I disagree with this statement in the guide:

"(Gahread)...who maintained what was known as the best guide for sorcery during the last years of GemStone III."

My guide > all others. :)

Scintillion
05-22-2012, 02:24 AM
I disagree with this statement in the guide:

"(Gahread)...who maintained what was known as the best guide for sorcery during the last years of GemStone III."

My guide > all others. :)

:yes:

Reliel
05-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Should I pick up demonology before necromancy? Do I 1x till a certain number or just 1x till cap?

zhelas
05-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Should I pick up demonology before necromancy? Do I 1x till a certain number or just 1x till cap?

I personally would get at least 52 ranks of demonology first. At 50 ranks you have the best success with retribution with spell 712. At 52 ranks you have reached the next tier of phasing.

After that?

It really depends on what you want to do with your sorcerer.

I switched over to Necromancy. Why? Because 711 is pretty darn awesome and I wanted to animate dead.

However...

With Baelfire.. you could continue demonology... so you could get the flares with your summoned demon.

Though... As others have pointed out in the past... you can't use 713 as a main hunting spell unless you have a HUGE amount of mana.

Also... Guild reps to master the hiding of your demon with an illusion is pretty mind numbing.. now alchemy is thrown into the midst... and you will be forced to diversify your guild training... Alchemy in my opinion is evil and will drain your soul.... This is why Zhelas at cap still hasn't mastered guild illusions.

If you decide the demonology path... get 1 rank of necro so you can get the blood benefits from 701

If you want to become a necromancer... well... be prepared to gather and carry components...although spell 711, Pain is pretty awesome.