PDA

View Full Version : Haha

Jeril
04-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Wutaki gestures at Hoy.
You notice a small cloud form above Hoy.
J>
You notice the storm cloud begin to churn rapidly!
J>
Hoy lies down.
J>
The storm cloud begins to build into a thunderhead!
J>
Hoy yells, "Deputy!"
J>
You hear the rumbling of thunder as the cloud turns an ominous dark hue!
J>
Suddenly a lightning bolt explodes from the small thundercloud and strikes Hoy with a brilliant flash!
... 20 points of damage!
Heavy shock to right eye bursts a few blood vessels. Sick.
He is stunned!
J>
Wutaki cackles deep in his throat, his voice rising in chilling laughter.
J>laugh hoy
You laugh at Hoy!
J>
Suddenly a lightning bolt explodes from the small thundercloud and strikes Hoy with a brilliant flash!
... 70 points of damage!
Massive shock totally burns out the nervous system. Nothing works anymore.

* Hoy drops dead at your feet!

droit
04-23-2012, 12:47 AM
So this just caused an epiphany about crit padding. Based on this and what Finros told us about major ewave taking crit padding into account, just at a lesser magnitude than other systems, I think I have a better understanding of how crit padding is applied to spells. Crit padding is merely a roll modifier. It's a mitigating number that's applied to the crit roll, not something that's applied after the roll resolution, like I'd always assumed. That's why you can have wondrous crit padding and still suffer crits like the above on an open roll. If crit padding were applied after the roll resolution, it would be much more protective than all of our experience with spells has shown. For example, if it was applied post hoc, a rank 9 would always be reduced by at least a few ranks, but if you think about padding level as just a modifier, a cast on Hoy's armor would look like d100 - 50 points of padding, so 0-50 but the possibility of open rolls makes rank 9 wounds a rare but potential event.

This really changes how I think about crit padding.

neimanz1
04-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Wutaki gestures at Hoy.
You notice a small cloud form above Hoy.
J>
You notice the storm cloud begin to churn rapidly!
J>
Hoy lies down.
J>
The storm cloud begins to build into a thunderhead!
J>
Hoy yells, "Deputy!"
J>
You hear the rumbling of thunder as the cloud turns an ominous dark hue!
J>
... 20 points of damage!
Heavy shock to right eye bursts a few blood vessels. Sick.
He is stunned!
J>
Wutaki cackles deep in his throat, his voice rising in chilling laughter.
J>laugh hoy
You laugh at Hoy!
J>
... 70 points of damage!
Massive shock totally burns out the nervous system. Nothing works anymore.

* Hoy drops dead at your feet!

Damn dude Stop being so obsessive my armor. I never claim I was invincible. I still rather have the armor then 500 more mil in my bank

Drew
04-23-2012, 01:30 AM
So this just caused an epiphany about crit padding. Based on this and what Finros told us about major ewave taking crit padding into account, just at a lesser magnitude than other systems, I think I have a better understanding of how crit padding is applied to spells. Crit padding is merely a roll modifier. It's a mitigating number that's applied to the crit roll, not something that's applied after the roll resolution, like I'd always assumed. That's why you can have wondrous crit padding and still suffer crits like the above on an open roll. If crit padding were applied after the roll resolution, it would be much more protective than all of our experience with spells has shown. For example, if it was applied post hoc, a rank 9 would always be reduced by at least a few ranks, but if you think about padding level as just a modifier, a cast on Hoy's armor would look like d100 - 50 points of padding, so 0-50 but the possibility of open rolls makes rank 9 wounds a rare but potential event.

Very interesting.

Jeril
04-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Damn dude Stop being so obsessive my armor. I never claim I was invincible. I still rather have the armor then 500 more mil in my bank

I wasn't even thinking of your armor really, just found it amusing that you'd lay down and die like that.

MrMortimur
04-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Not sure what I find more entertaining, him yelling for the deputy after he lies down or just the fact that he died.

Loch

Lord Orbstar
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
All of it is amusing.

Overlordz
05-23-2012, 01:28 AM

125 is an ancient spell with some strange quirks so i'd take anything gleaned from it with a grain of salt.

that death where it fries your nerves seems a bit unusual, its not like there's ever any other crits that do rank 1 or rank 2 damage to nerves afaik. it seems more analogous to an instant death that presumably wouldn't be affected by crit padding.

i also find the notion that crit padding is "applied to spells" in some heterogenous way to probably be off base. given that various GMs implemented the spells over many years, who's to say one spell doesn't deal with crit padding an entirely different way than another?