PDA

View Full Version : LIONS, FALCONS, AND WEASELS, OH MY!

theotherjohn
06-27-2004, 01:46 PM
HSN WEEK 3: LIONS, FALCONS, AND WEASELS, OH MY!

Hot Summer Nights brings Gnomes (and taller folks) an update to the imitation system! The changes include:

- Three new imitation categories: roar like a lion, shriek like a falcon, or squeal like a weasel

- New animals added for most previous imitation categories

- Sneakier messaging for perfect animal imitations from hiding

- Improved success rates for non-Gnomes

- Abbreviations of animal names can be used to activate imitations

- Easier-to-read help system

theotherjohn
06-27-2004, 01:50 PM
For those of you who just love details, here's the rundown:

- There are three new imitation categories: ROAR (for big cats), SHRIEK (for birds of prey), and SQUEAL (for rodents and suchlike). There are 17 roars, 38 shrieks, and 34 squeals in the system currently.

- No new bear growls were added (boo, hiss). However, 1 new hoot, 8 new barks, 6 new howls, 10 new purrs, and 2 new whistles were added (cheer). Combined with the above, that's 116 new animal sounds available for imitation :)

- If you achieve a perfect success on an animal imitation while not visible, it no longer says it's an imitation. You're just that good. Note that Gnomes always get perfect successes. Why? They're just that good.

- The success rates for non-Gnomes were increased by as much as 15% in some circumstances. Previously, the people on the lowest end of the scale failed to imitate anything about 1 time in 3. That's no fun.

- You no longer have to type out the whole name of an animal to imitate it :) Abbreviations work fine.

- The help system felt cluttered and messy (as was brought to my attention), so I rearranged it. The animals are now in alphabetical order, and they're only listed as being activated by one thing (the sound). You can still IMITATE WOLF, if you want, but it's listed only as HOWL. Hopefully that'll make things easier to read. The new sounds only can be activated by their sound name.

If you have any further suggestions, feel free to let me know. Special thanks to several players (who may identify themselves if they wish) for the source material and suggestions, and to GM Ozias, who is responsible for much of the messaging.

- Ildran

Chadj
06-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Don't you sleep?

Latrinsorm
06-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Chadj
Don't you sleep? And let Charlie get the drop on him? What are you, crazy?

theotherjohn
06-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Don't you sleep?

it just seems like I dont sleep because I am 8 hours ahead of you

theotherjohn
06-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Don't you sleep? And let Charlie get the drop on him? What are you, crazy?

the new nickname is Abu

I am actually as safe as one can be here.

I am not around any major city and the C2 building I work/live in is the heart of Cedar so it is protected

Chadj
06-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Sadly, I am almost always up when you post those...