PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Travel

Sean
06-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Well as July 10th draws nearer my trip is becoming more and more of a reality. So I figured it would be a good idea to ask you guys some of whom I'm sure are experienced traveler what some good ideas might be for luggage or personal effects or valuable pieces of information might be for my trip. Any and all advice is appreciated. I'll be gone for 6 weeks so I'm thinking of things that might be more valuable to me for the duration than things than things you might bring on a shorter more leisurely vacation.

Hulkein
06-26-2004, 07:50 PM
First things first.. where are you going?

Sean
06-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Italy.

More specifically Rome for a week, Napals for a week, and Siena for 4 weeks.

Weedmage Princess
06-26-2004, 07:52 PM
DONT FORGET YOUR EXLAX TIJAY :blush:

Hulkein
06-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Oh, ok, nice. I went to Rome two years ago with a lot of my family, you'll definitely have a good time.

I can't think of anything specifically to bring that you wouldn't think of though.

I know two of my friends went to Athens to work the Olympics and something they bought which was important were some hats that didn't give yourself away as an American to anyone who may be looking to do some harm (Eagles hats, Phillies hats, etc.) Italy isn't exactly a hotbed of terrorism like the Olympics may be so don't think you have to worry about stuff like that.

Sean
06-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
DONT FORGET YOUR EXLAX TIJAY :blush:

Yea too bad I already made that joke about you, and included photos.

Sean
06-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Interesting notion Hulkein, I only wear kangol hats which I'm not sure scream American. But I'm not exceedinly worried about it. I think the group of 40 other americans I'm traveling with would give us away anyway.

Nakiro
06-26-2004, 07:59 PM
If you have any electronics, like a digital camera, pack two backup sets of batteries.

Make sure you take an extra comb and toothbrush.

Uhm, that's all I can think of for now.

Ravenstorm
06-26-2004, 08:13 PM
This really applies to all flights but especially overseas ones. In addition to your luggage, take a carry on. In the carry on, put all your papers, documents and anything else even vaguely important. Also have a change of clothing in case your suitcase ends up in Russia.

Exchange money here in the states and get it out of the way. Try to get some prices over the web on things you'd likely be shelling out cash for so you can get a guesstimate on how much to exchange in advance. Even though you'll likely use credit cards and maybe traveller's checks, you'll want some actual money. Make use of the duty free shops on the return trip.

No point in schlepping everything around the entire vacation. Get maps of the cities and mark where you're staying and where things are you want to see.

I was in Naples twice. Visit Pompeii. Also, be careful of Italian drivers. The Napolese are crazy. The chickens cooked at the sides of the roads? Delicious.

Raven

Sean
06-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Toothbrush and Batteries noted .... comb ... for what?

DianaBanana
06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Stick some extra money in a few different places, just in case something happens to one of your bags or you get pickpocketed.

And the extra change of clothes in your carry on is the other important thing I always remember.

Hips
06-26-2004, 08:44 PM
-calling cards (a lot cheaper here than over there)

I'll add to this more as I remember what I brought when I went to Europe, it's all escaping me at the moment.

[Edited on 6-27-2004 by GS3 Michiko]

[Edited on 6-27-2004 by GS3 Michiko]

Latrinsorm
06-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Tijay
comb ... for what? Facial hair, duh.

If you don't know Italian, I'd bring a dictionary of some kind as you're going to be there a long time.

Carl Spackler
06-26-2004, 09:15 PM
As far as luggage goes, are you looking to buy luggage?

Sean
06-26-2004, 09:17 PM
No I have luggage, and I'm not planning on doing much shopping while I'm there. I plan on eatting/drinking more than shopping.

Carl Spackler
06-26-2004, 09:19 PM
oh ok, well if you have a big rolling duffel bag, that will be your friend. Packing well is essential, the better you pack the more room you'll have, and less baggage you'll need to take.

Wezas
06-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I went to Itally 7 or 8 years ago. Make sure you have one of those money pouches that straps around your waist and goes on under your clothes. Certain parts of italy are notorious for gypsies and gypsy children who are known for thievery.

Be sure to check out the TV at night in your hotel. Basically 8 straight hours of 900 number commercials, very amusing.

And I definately agree with the exchanging your money here.

Be sure to check out the discos. You're sure to get some action with your foreign dreads.

Sean
06-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Be sure to check out the discos. You're sure to get some action with your foreign dreads.

Best piece of advice I've recieved yet.

Blazing247
06-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Things I made sure to do/bring to Europe when I went to England/France:

Digital Camera- cause throwaways suck and film is expensive in the little shops there.
MP3 Player- cause European radio SUX.
Traveler's Checks- don't leave home without them...seriously.
Power Inverters- duh.
Condoms- Uhm...again, don't leave home without them.
Calculator- Makes it easier to figure out what you're paying for an item in foreign monies.

Definitely convert money BEFORE you go or you'll get hosed on the rates.
Definitely keep your important documents ON YOU.
Definitely do not keep your wallet/money unsecured while walking the streets.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Ravenstorm
06-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh. Important: remember Europe runs on different voltage. So if you have any electronics to take with you, buy an adapter.

Raven

Sean
06-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Yea I already bought one.

Skirmisher
06-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
This really applies to all flights but especially overseas ones. In addition to your luggage, take a carry on. In the carry on, put all your papers, documents and anything else even vaguely important. Also have a change of clothing in case your suitcase ends up in Russia.

Raven

Having gone a solid week + 2 days with only the change of clothes I thank god had in my carry on during one trip to Peru when they lost my bag and yes actually sent it to the wrong city, I cannot stress the change of clothes thing in the overnight bag strongly enough.

longshot
06-27-2004, 01:29 AM
If you're traveling with a large group of Americans, you have no chance to blend in.

If you plan on going off by yourself, a Canadian Flag sewn on your backpack goes a long way.

Anything suspicious is bad... if someone opens an umbrella in an elevator, it means you're being robbed.

Check the door of your hotel after you leave. Make sure the lock mechanism wasn't taped over.

Also, Italy is the B.O. capital of the world, so bring orange peels to shove in your nose.

Atlanteax
06-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Here's another piece of advice...

In case you see any Arab Muslims (or anyone who looks like one)

Practice saying "I'm Canadian"

Kinda ironic that one may want to say that... :rolleyes:

Editted to add:

Looks like Longshot beat me to that "be Canadian" angle.

[Edited on 6-27-2004 by Atlanteax]

theotherjohn
06-27-2004, 03:22 AM
adjust your body now to the new time

The rest of the advice will work if you are staying in a freaking dump so research where you will be staying.

mail whatever you buy back

http://travel.state.gov/italy.html will have information usefull

SpunGirl
06-27-2004, 03:57 AM
The only thing I didn't like in Europe (I've only been to England and Portugal) was the way they don't put ice in their drinks. You want ice in your water, you have to ask for it.

And no ranch dressing.

-K

Chadj
06-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Adding ice is a cheap way to suppliment our sales, thus selling an item worth less, for the same amount of money. Thus, basically, they are less cheap?

(You learn these things when you're making fries, hot dogs, and fountain drinks all fucking day long)

Hulkein
06-27-2004, 04:22 AM
You also learn these things when you're twelve years old and realize after two sips of your mcdonalds soda you're left with nothing but a full cup of ice.

I always ask for no ice unless it's free refills.

[Edited on 6-27-2004 by Hulkein]

Sean
06-27-2004, 04:52 AM
I don't like ice in any of my drinks anyway.

HarmNone
06-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Looks like people have covered the most important thing. Another thing to remember is to leave a list of where you're going to be when with someone Stateside, and to keep a contact number on your person for someone here. That way, if something happens on either side of the pond, there will be a way to ensure communication of information. :)

HarmNone

SpunGirl
06-27-2004, 06:43 AM
I like ice in my drinks. The only thing I can drink without it would be like... milk and hot tea. Maybe hot cocoa or coffe, but I don't drink those either.

Plus, their glasses are really small. You know at restaurants here you get a goblet of ice water or whatever? No. There, it's like a juice glass.

-K

Myshel
06-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Make photocopies of all your important documentations, leave a set here with your Mom and carry another set in your luggage. Unless you have a unusual luggage get some red tape and put a big x or something on it.
Convert your money here, do a little basic research on the denominations and worth. Carry a calculator.
Carry your money , passport on you under your clothes. Anything of value that you don't want to carry with you, make use of the hotel safe.
In all your luggage put inside a index card with your name, address and phone number. On the other side write down your hotel's and phone numbers in your destinations.
Ask locals where they eat, party.
Don't give money to the street kids.

Wezas
06-28-2004, 10:06 AM
I can't find a link, but I saw a nice travel organizer in Target for $10 yesterday. It will likely be in the section with planners/datebooks. Looks like it holds about 10 cards, decent amount of documents, photo-id (with plastic window) and should fit in any money bag you'll have under your clothes.

SpunGirl
06-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Bring breath mints for the plane, especially if you're prone to falling asleep. You wake up and you have yucky morning breath, it's gross. And it's not always fun to wrestle your way to the bathroom to brush your teeth.

Actually, I found that sleeping on those trips is prefereable. Take an ambien and drink a glass of red wine, and boom, you're in Italy.

-K

Wezas
06-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Also, anyone know where in Italy Caiylania lives? She may be able to give you some decent tips.

My mom is heading to Italy for 3 weeks on July 1st. So stay away from brunettes in their 40's. I'll be warning her to stay clear of anyone with your description as well.

Czeska
06-28-2004, 10:47 AM
In Germany, condiments are often extra. Like, ketchup, for example. They charge.

Good walking shoes. Bandaids for blisters. Dramamine if you get queasy easily. Definitely get at least one phone card, in case of emergency. A tiny Tupperware container that will fit in your money bag can be useful to stick meds in.. ie, a few Advil, some Immodium, some dramamine, cold pills, whatever. Something you can carry around easily w/o having several bottles. I hate having to buy medicine in Europe, when I can't get what I know works for me, and I have to try to ask other people what the labels say.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Moleskin for blisters.

Pockets that button on pants, if not throw your wallet in the front pocket. It's easier to feel someone trying to boost you when it's in the front pocket. Tougher to grab as well.

Copy everything in your wallet: credit cards, ID, etc. Leave copy one at home and pack one.

Emergency numbers for your Credit Cards, Bank, etc.

Clothes for all types of weather.

I always pack an extra bag in my luggage so if I do buy something and I don't want to ship it I have the means to get it back.

Plastic bags are good to have too. If you decide to swim or it rains and the next day it's time to move on you can put them in plastic so they don't mold out and get everything in your luggage wet.

It's been said before but convert to their money here, and convert to our money there. The fees are alot better that way. I remember converting US green to pounds sucked when I was in London.

Rome has some great places to party you're gonna have a blast.

We'll see ya when you get back.

firegirl
06-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Italy! I go there often, my brother lives in Rome and we got a house in Naples - Suggestions of certain things that you might help your trip.

First rule... Italian make money off of people. If you notice everyone eats or is standing at the bar in the local cafe.. Reason, once you sit. Prices are double, sometimes triple. Now, if they know you are a tourist they might even charge outrageously..if that happens, one thing you will see constantly in street is not the polizia but the Carabineiri.. just call one of them to the place and report it. Italian is very strict on Con artist locations that can ruin their reputation for tourists.

Second, If you are taking the train and you are planning on buying the tickets there... At every train station.. there are these little yellow boxes on the walls. Once you buy your ticket.. Punch your ticket there with the time. If you do not have that validation, you get charged when you are on the train again usually about 50-80 Euro.

Third, Tips are included in the price of service but if you give extra that is fine.

Fourth, If you are a shot drinker.. Like tequila or any standard shot type drink.. make sure you say EXACTLY how much you want. The drinks there are usually about 14 Euro but the reason why is because they are poured like a pop (6 ounces).

fifth, Watch your pockets, lots of thieves in Italy. Even watch your hotel room. Best bet is not to keep jewellery about. Walking about with your important documents is not really needed as you are not going to get carded or anything like that. Safest is just stuff it in your suitcase in the hotel and leave it there for your trip. Only time you will need your ID is to Exchange money. They always ask for ID if it is a legal dealer of currency.

sixth, Crossing the streets in Rome.. if you look nervous and are scared.. stop. Just have to take the chance and started walking across or you will never get a break to cross. Romans drivers are not courtueous drivers.

If you need some info on places or anything like that.. Aim me on AOL. I know Rome like the back of my hand. My favorite city and I am always happy to help someone else enjoy its beauty. My aim is ldyfirenze

I think that is pretty much it but there might be other stuff that I just cannot remember. if I do I will certainly post again.

Have a great trip!

Wezas
06-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by firegirl
sixth, Crossing the streets in Rome.. if you look nervous and are scared.. stop. Just have to take the chance and started walking across or you will never get a break to cross. Romans drivers are not courtueous drivers.

I can attest to that. On many of the streets there are not painted lines where one should turn at intersections. I've seen 3 cars turning left at once (3 different "lanes").

But not once did I see an accident. Italian drivers = good, but frightening.

Ravenstorm
06-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by firegirl
... one thing you will see constantly in street is not the polizia but the Carabineiri..

I remember them! I was in Naples twice visiting a friend stationed there and it was so strange seeing 'cops' driving around with machine guns. :)

Raven

Wezas
06-28-2004, 03:18 PM
I bought a cheap but cool looking ring from a street vendor who cut the price in half if I would hurry up. I gave him the money, he gave me the ring, then picked up the sides of the cloth that was on his table (to make it into a sack, of sorts), and grabbed his table and started running. A few seconds later I saw the police chasing him.

Amusing.

Back
06-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Can't think of much else that hasen't been posted...

Ah ha! Got one. Take me. :):

Hulkein
06-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Then leave him there.:!:

[Edited on 6-29-2004 by Hulkein]

Sean
07-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Last chance for last minute advice .. I head out from here in 12 hours.

07-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Don't drop the soap

HarmNone
07-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Have a wonderful time, Tijay. I think that's the best advice any of us can give you! :)

HarmNone

SpunGirl
07-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Make sure you post lots of pictures.

-K

Sean
07-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Since this seems to be my trip travel thread instead of starting a new one I figured Id stop and say Hi to everyone from overseas. Decided to stop and check my email while Rome takes a nap. Everything is going great here. Romes a beautiful city and fun too. The weathers awesome and it feels live Ive been walking for days. Anyway I leave Roma for Napoli this weekend and Ill probably check in again from there. Hope you all are having a great summer.

Sean

DianaBanana
07-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm so jealous and like I told you, I want to see pictures, lots of them.

Sean
07-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Dont worry I have a long boring photo album already of all the historical sites Ive been too, well boring unless you into that stuff. I cant upload photos at this internet cafe, maybe the next one I goto.

Edaarin
07-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Are the women as unhygienic as rumors claim?

Sean
07-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Haha. I must say Im meeting a lot more hot women from the states than I am from Italy. But that might just be a testement to where I find myself spending time at night.

Weedmage Princess
07-15-2004, 09:46 AM
So lucky Tijay!

Hope you're having a lot of fun, can't wait to see the pics!

Wezas
07-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Tijay, just so you're aware, my mother's ATM card was compromised (mag-stripe and pin data was stolen) 3 days ago and they started draining her account. They only got 2 days worth of withdrawals ($2k) before she noticed it and cancelled the card (I told her to use travelers checks, she never listens to me)

Finding counterfeit ATM card fraud is what I do for a living, but we don't do much with overseas, so be careful. She thinks the data was stolen at a bank ATM in Venice where after it asked for her pin, it stopped showing information on the screen in english.

Sean
07-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Interesting. Ive only used the ATM once, and I've yet to use my credit card. The one time I withdrew money so far was at the post office is Piramide. But Ill keep an eye out for such things.

07-15-2004, 09:59 AM
GO TO VENICE AND GET A GONDOLLAH RIDE. GO TO RIMINI AND BUY GELATOS.

HarmNone
07-15-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm so glad you're having a good time, Tijay! Really looking forward to pictures! :)

HarmNone

Sean
07-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
GO TO VENICE AND GET A GONDOLLAH RIDE. GO TO RIMINI AND BUY GELATOS.

Ive had a few gellatos but I'm not a huge fan of them or ice cream in general. I'm trying to plan a trip to Venice for a day or two when I'm in Siena. But I think Florence is taking precednet over Venice. I think I'd also rather goto Crete or Sicily before going to Venice but well see. So much to do so little time....

Okay I'm headed back out to explore some more. Hope everyone takes care and stay safe until then. If anyone needs to reach me via email they can at sas3 at (since I dont know how to use the at symbol on these international keyboards) njit.edu.

Ciao.

Caiylania
07-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Also, anyone know where in Italy Caiylania lives? She may be able to give you some decent tips.

My mom is heading to Italy for 3 weeks on July 1st. So stay away from brunettes in their 40's. I'll be warning her to stay clear of anyone with your description as well.

I so need to keep up with these boards.

Venice is about 40 minutes away, so hopefully when he gets more north in his trip we can meet up.

Here's to hoping!

Caiylania
07-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Tijay

Best piece of advice I've recieved yet.

And so, so true. Make sure to check out the more low key pubs too. They aren't for dancing high energy, but many of them are nice old style places that are cool to hang out in.

Wezas
07-15-2004, 12:04 PM
I liked Florence the best (over rome & venice). It was the bomb.

Caiylania
07-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Totally agree. Venice is unique, but not really all that. It can be fun though.

The castles are my favorite, going to lil hole in the wall towns and finding these old castles that most people never see. I love that.

Caiylania
07-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko
-calling cards (a lot cheaper here than over there)

I'll add to this more as I remember what I brought when I went to Europe, it's all escaping me at the moment.

Actually, for 10 euro I get a calling card that has 400 minutes for calling the states on :D

It's Eurocity Vectone card.
Gnanam Telecom Centers is on the bottom of the card.

[Edited on 7-15-2004 by Caiylania]

firegirl
07-15-2004, 01:02 PM
My opnion is that Venice can be seen in one day. Venentian food is not one my favorite cooking styles as it is heavy, lots of stews and mix of meat and fish type dishes. I also find it pretty dirty and congested as well compared to the other cities in italy. If you had the choice, spend more time in Florence and go on a day trip to Venice instead. Another beautiful city to visit is Bologna if you want to get adventurous. I am not sure how long your trip is but going to Sicily from Rome is quite a way and to do that small trip in a day or two is not worth it as Sicily is too incredible to just pop in for a day. You can make Sicily a trip in itself next year - perfect reason for you to go back!

Venice is the one place though you have to be really careful in pickpocketing. One the most biggest tricks there is when you are on the taxiboat. They usually stay on that all day just to rip off the tourists. It usually is never money they take- Usually, they try for the little trinkets in your bags that you just bought rather than your pocket of money.

Lucky you! I want to go now again!.

Enjoy yourself!