PDA

View Full Version : What's your dysfunction?

SpunGirl
05-29-2005, 02:58 AM
"Everyone is dysfunctional on some level" - Atlanteax's Player.

I'm going to have to agree with that quote in another thread. So now the question is, what is your personal dysfunction? Do you try to do anything about it? Is realizing you have a dysfunction half the battle? Is it the same thing as a personal fault? I'll go first.

I have issues with instant gratification. When I decide I want something, I want it NOW, and I quickly get frustrated and irritated if I don't get it. If I can have it, I'll ususally take it regardless of the consequences that may or may not come about as a result. Though I DO think ahead most of the time, there are instances where I have issues with it. This is something I have tried to curb, and with respect to financial decisions (buying shit impetuously) I think I've improved a lot.

Another fault of mine is one that my husband pointed out. He (lovingly, of course) tells me I'm a snob all the time. He says it's ridiculous that even if all I need is a pair of black flip-flops or some white cotton shorts, I refuse to buy them at Wal-Mart or Target and head straight to GAP or Express instead. I don't know why; and I don't see any particular reason to change. Maybe I am a snob.

Okay, time for you to share.

-K

05-29-2005, 03:14 AM
I have trouble in that I'm so good boning the opposite sex for such a ridiculously long time that they often have to take breaks and try not to have seizures from the amount of pleasure that I bestow upon them. It's very upsetting.

Apotheosis
05-29-2005, 03:17 AM
I have a bad habit of attracting drama, but I have gotten to the point where I only put up with a little bit of it before telling it to fuck off.

Snapp
05-29-2005, 03:21 AM
I tend to lose patience with people in my personal life pretty quickly and cut them off. I can't tell you have many friends/cliques/relationships I've had in the past that I just cut off because I don't feel like dealing with them anymore. It's a big flaw, and I've been actively working on it and learning to deal with the fact that not everyone is as emotionally stable and perfect as I am. ;)

05-29-2005, 03:52 AM
I also have a problem in the sense that basically every single person who's even heard of me by name, immediately idolizes me. By the laws of physics, no one can actually come close to living up to my standard, therefor reality becomes that much harsher when millions realize they just can't be me. I shed a tear.

Ebondale
05-29-2005, 04:14 AM
I think I'm overly materialistic. I'm trying to not be. I suppose it wouldn't bother me so much if I weren't a Buddhist. Maybe I'm not even as materialistic as I think I am.

It just bothers me.

Itachi
05-29-2005, 04:19 AM
I think Stanley needs an RX-7 and he's all set.

Nieninque
05-29-2005, 04:58 AM
Stanley's dysfunction is that he is delusional

My own is probably that I have a short attention span and while I tend to have a lot of energy for creating and beginning new projects or stuff, I tend to lose interest after a while so the finer details never get round to being finished.

Keller
05-29-2005, 04:58 AM
I'm fucking lazy.

I think about solutions -- but often get side-tracked.

Who knows.

Asha
05-29-2005, 05:08 AM
I spend weeks being charming, trying hard to impress girls. I act like the nicest person in the world when all that turns in to a date. I spend all night being Mr Perfect. Then the next morning I push them away.
And possibly ignore them after that.

Back
05-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Negligence is my worst dysfunction. Not keeping up with old acquaintances, not taking care of things that need to be taken care of. I don’t own any plants.

Ironically, its something I learned as a child.

These days I am well aware that if I do at least one thing responsible every day of the week I’ll be in a much better mood.

Asha
05-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Backlash
Negligence is my worst dysfunction. Not keeping up with old acquaintances, not taking care of things that need to be taken care of. I don’t own any plants.

Ironically, its something I learned as a child.

These days I am well aware that if I do at least one thing responsible every day of the week I’ll be in a much better mood.

Good post.
I'm feeling it.

Ebondale
05-29-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
I spend weeks being charming, trying hard to impress girls. I act like the nicest person in the world when all that turns in to a date. I spend all night being Mr Perfect. Then the next morning I push them away.
And possibly ignore them after that.

A fear of rejection, perhaps?

Asha
05-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Hahaha you think so?

It's just I push them away after I've nailed them.
What rejection could there possibly be after that?

Asha
05-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Christ! I sound like my sorcerer!!

:(

Brattt8525
05-29-2005, 08:12 AM
I have to agree with Spun when I want something I am relentless until I get it.

I also have come to a place that I can't seem to let anyone close to me, it is easier to push people away then to worry about being hurt again.

HarmNone
05-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Procrasti-freaking-nation!

I fight it by doing the most important things (like paying bills, work-related matters, and such) immediately upon their arising. It's the only way I've found to combat this shameful tendency of mine to put things off.

Lots of little things still end up getting put off, and combining to become major problems down the road. :(

[Edited on 5-29-2005 by HarmNone]

Killer Kitten
05-29-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm in pain all the time, and sometimes it ruins my sunny disposition. There's not a lot I can do about the actual pain, but I can try to not let it spoil every other aspect of my life. There are days when that's really difficult, but I'm working on it.

My other fault is trying to save every animal in trouble I stumble across. That would be fine if saving them didn't involve bringing them home.

On that note, anybody interested in a pair of cute tabby kittens? Heh.

Kainen
05-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Impatience, intolerance, nasty temper, procrastinatin, I don't trust anyone, anti-social. Gee what a prize I am ROFL.

Asha
05-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
I'm in pain all the time, and sometimes it ruins my sunny disposition. There's not a lot I can do about the actual pain, but I can try to not let it spoil every other aspect of my life. There are days when that's really difficult, but I'm working on it.

My other fault is trying to save every animal in trouble I stumble across. That would be fine if saving them didn't involve bringing them home.

On that note, anybody interested in a pair of cute tabby kittens? Heh.

Relieveing the pain of others becouse you can't relieve your own. .
Shame on you.

:big hug:

Asha
05-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Kainen
Impatience, intolerance, nasty temper, procrastinatin, I don't trust anyone, anti-social. Gee what a prize I am ROFL.

STFU Kainen.
Somehow all those qualities suit you down to the ground, making you a tempermental, fiery and HOT mutherfucker.
Your the biz!!
:heart:

Killer Kitten
05-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Shame on you.

Awwwww... I likes hugs.

But does this mean you're gonna push me away now that you hugged me? <g>

Asha
05-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten

Shame on you.

Awwwww... I likes hugs.

But does this mean you're gonna push me away now that you hugged me? <g>

:lol:
Le touche

Miss X
05-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Here is what I sort of hate about myself and find a little dysfunctional: Firstly, sometimes when things go wrong for people I know, I feel this weird moment of happiness that my life is somehow better than theirs. I mean, I do whatever I can to help and would never try to wreck someones life, I guess sometimes I just take pleasure in other peoples downfall (its usually people I am jealous of though, not people I really love). It's a part of me I try to fight constantly and the last year or so I seem to have moved on from it.

I guess the other dysfunctional thing about me is that I'm obsessed with cancer, I constantly think I have it and I'm dying and self diagnose myself at the first hint of a symptom. I can't stop myself getting out my text books and looking up every symptom I have and I worry myself sick sometimes that there's a secret cancer inside me somewhere.

The funny thing is, most of the women in my family are exactly the same. I used to be a lot worse than I am now though, the last 3 years Ive been gradually getting more rational and actually working with really ill patients has made me realise I'm pretty healthy really.

Oh, I also have this automatic assumption that everybody I know secretly dislikes me and worry a lot about people bitching behind my back, I get paranoid people are doing it.

I guess all of us do have our own dysfunction, recognising it and working on it is by far the best way I've been able to deal with it. That and coming to lean that no one is 100% normal because normal doesnt even exist. :)

Asha
05-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Miss X, I've told you before.

Once you've seen Star Wars I'll stop bitching about you behind your back.
I'll let Predator, Batman and Aliens go..

For now..

Chelle
05-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Sometimes impatient, tend to worry needlessly, judgemental, and trusts no one, and stuck-up at times.

But lately I have improved some in those areas, yet gotten worse in others.

:shrug:

DeV
05-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Snapp
I tend to lose patience with people in my personal life pretty quickly and cut them off. I can't tell you have many friends/cliques/relationships I've had in the past that I just cut off because I don't feel like dealing with them anymore. It's a big flaw, and I've been actively working on it and learning to deal with the fact that not everyone is as emotionally stable and perfect as I am. ;) Oh wow. I am so glad you already stated this because it is my BIGGEST flaw. I will cut a person off without a second glance because of my horrible lack of patience in dealing with relationships period, not including family of course(friends/sexual relationships mainly).

Though, I don't think I'm anywhere close to perfect, I just have a certain way I want things to be and if it doesn't work out that way I tend to move on, quickly. I've slowed that down considerably.

05-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Lastly, I'm such an absurdly benevolent, caring, good-hearted individual, that every single soul I have healed will forever crave for the delicious comfort of a "Stanley high."

theotherjohn
05-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
"Everyone is dysfunctional on some level" - Atlanteax's Player.

So now the question is, what is your personal dysfunction?

I enjoy being angry

ElanthianSiren
05-29-2005, 11:13 AM
-Name a deadly sin. Put my name after it :P serioulsy though:

I'm rather OCD and tend to ignore people until they start screaming for my attention; until the situation reaches critical mass, I'd rather trade stocks or work on my books. I lack empathy for my own species.

-Melissa

peam
05-29-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm perfect in every way imaginable.

Syberus
05-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't like people. I have a tendancy to view people (on a mass scale) as stupid, and until I actually get to know you don't think real highly of you, that's something I'd like to change. I have really low self esteem, to the point of sometimes being afraid to do something as stupid as call a company head for a possible summer internship just because he might say no. I procrastinate horribly, especially when it comes to school work. I'm also pretty intraverted, if I go to a party with 20 or 30 people and I don't know at least a few I tend to be pretty uncomfortable. I am a pretty nice guy though.. that has to count for something.

Soulpieced
05-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Some people say I have an ego problem? Me? Nah...

Jolena
05-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh hell where to start :lol:

When I have a really big problem to deal with in my personal life, I tend to block it out of my consciousness. Example is when I was diagnosed with cancer 4 years ago. Everyone in my family was freaking out, crying, all upset and worried over me. Me? I just pretended that it didn't exist. Even through the chemo treatments, the IV's, the sickness and the hair loss. Finally, I was having dinner with my best friend one night and she looks at me and says "You know, you are acting as if this cancer is just not happening to you. You speak about it so casually like it's a everyday thing that occurrs to everyone." And she's right heh, I do. I am trying to work on that but so far no progress.

Also, procrastination. I put things off and put things off until it's either too late or I'm scrambling to get it done on time because it's come down to the very last minute. I've been getting better on that with bills at least though. :)

Trinitis
05-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Ones I know :

Procrastination - If it can be put off, and is not life threatning..it'll most likely be put off.

Lazy - Always have been.

Gamer - I personally feel I take this way too far, but I can't seem to break myself of it. I love each and every aspect about games. I don't care about the type, I love them all. I love playing them, alone or with friends. I dream of a job in the gaming world. (I'd kill for a game review job of some type.)

Ones I'm told I have :

I'm too "happy-go-lucky" in life - I let things come as they are. I don't fret about problems, as they will work themselves out. If they don't, then I just step up and make the fix. Things don't bother me for more then a few hours, at most.

I'm too emotionally detatched - My friends and family say they can't stand how I show no emotions most of the time. If someone suprizes me with something, I normally respond with an "Oh cool, thanks." I've been informed this is not enough for some people. ;)

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm OCD about organizing things. Canned goods, soap, toothbrushes, my desk, files at work, DVDS gotta be alphabetical now... I actually think I'm getting worse.

Jolena
05-29-2005, 12:43 PM
..flies at your work? Do tell. :wow:

TheRoseLady
05-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I just can't stand attention whores, and have almost no capacity to ignore them. I want to tell them that they are so pathetic and to just shut the fuck up - but I don't most of the time - the reason why I don't is because I don't really want to deal with idiots.

I either need to just ignore idiots or just let it out so I *can* ignore them.

This post brought to you by folks like Emislity.

Lord Dainslef
05-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm too nice.
- At least that's what a lot of my friends say. Depending on if I'm getting something from Mickie D's and they get my order wrong. I'm alright with it. But if I'm buying for everyone and they forget a fry, there will be hell to pay!

I tend to be a bit OCD when it comes to certain things. Like my buddy list is alphabatized, as is my music, anime, and such.

Did I mention I'm too nice? What can I say? Everyone loves me.

4a6c1
05-29-2005, 01:00 PM
<----- SELFISH PERSONIFIED. I've ruinied relationships and partnerships of all types trying to get through to something I want. The worst part is its usually something only momentarily gratifying.

In the end I always eventually hate myself and the thing/person I wanted so badly, blaming them/it for my destructive nature.

Atlanteax
05-29-2005, 01:12 PM
I refuse to eat fruit and vegetables. Some sort of taste aversion thing.

Tends to make for some awkward dining-out moments, whether it's work-, romance-, or social-related.

But at least people who know me, gets used to it after awhile.

(as far as the health issue concerns... I'm 6'1, 160s lbs, and am in good physical shape... I make up for the nutrition with vitamins).

[Edited on 5-29-2005 by Atlanteax]

Ilvane
05-29-2005, 01:16 PM
II have trouble being too trusting with people and thinking that most people are good. I found out the hard way that this isn't always true!

Aside from that I have bouts of being sad, that drive me nuts too. I wish I could just be happy most of the time.:)

-A

Warriorbird
05-29-2005, 01:46 PM
I have an overblown sense of injustice.

I also make really foolish choices while working, or employment wise.

Latrinsorm
05-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Paranoia (not as bad as it used to be).
Emotional repression (also not as bad as it used to be).
Temper (almost good now, used to be way out of control).

Overactive work ethic. I don't consider this a problem, but my current employer regularly describes me as "robotic" so maybe it's something I should keep an eye on. What's funny is I never had this problem in school. $_$

Mild narcissism involving my hair. I love it a little too much.

I think identification is an important step, but not really indicative of a desire to change.

Miss X
05-29-2005, 03:25 PM
We REALLY need to work on the hair thing.... :whistle:

Edaarin
05-29-2005, 03:50 PM
I expect more out of my friends, which sets me up for a pretty nasty fall whenever someone lets me down.

Snapp
05-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Temper (almost good now, used to be way out of control).

Wow, that suprises me. You come across very mellow on PC.

Latrinsorm
05-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Snapp
Wow, that suprises me. You come across very mellow on PC. :heart: That means a lot coming from someone as emotionally perfect as you. :)

Hulkein
05-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
I'm OCD about organizing things. Canned goods, soap, toothbrushes, my desk, files at work, DVDS gotta be alphabetical now... I actually think I'm getting worse.

Mark Summers?

Shari
05-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, my most recent "issue" is that I say the f-word...A LOT. I never really noticed it before but my mother brought it up about two weeks ago and now my fiance made mention of it the other day. I notice I say it more when I'm drunk so have tried to curb that, and try to catch myself before I say it.....Its been really hard. :(

Second, I am the least sympathetic person EVER to others who are sick. Scott could be on his deathbead and he'd ask him for a drink a water and I'd likely just stare at him and shriek, "You've got pneumnonia, you're legs aren't broken, get up and get it your damned self!"

I'm sure there are many, many more, but these are the two that pop into my head the quickest.

Back
05-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Women who curse are hot.

SpunGirl
05-29-2005, 11:10 PM
The cursing thing is funny, Jesae. I think it's good you're trying to curb it... I curse a lot around certain people, and it has accidentally slipped out a few times around my mother. My mother gets offended if you say "dammit" instead of "dangit" and "oh my god" instead of "oh my GOSH."

-K

Brattt8525
05-30-2005, 12:25 AM
LOL anything with my mom that involved anything more then a golly gee rewarded you with a quick smack.

Chelle
05-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Wait. Alphabetizing CDs and DVDs is a dysfunction?! I guess add that one to my list.

Chadj
05-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I have 0 (zero) Dysfunction. :saint:

kthx.

Ebondale
05-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by peam

Right there. Pride. :lol:

Where in Virginia are you, peam?

Shari
05-30-2005, 02:22 AM
As I'm sure everyone else is already aware of, my family is pretty...well, dysfunctional on its own. We swear a good deal. However, the f-bomb is used lightly and so when I go over there just slinging it around in a general conversation, I'm told to tone it down.

Back
05-30-2005, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Ebondale

Originally posted by peam

Right there. Pride. :lol:

Where in Virginia are you, peam?

Oh snap.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-30-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Chelle
Wait. Alphabetizing CDs and DVDs is a dysfunction?! I guess add that one to my list.

Well, when it kind of consumes you... yeah. I'll take a picture of my kitchen cabinents -- you'll see what I mean. I'm not like Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets" but I'm pretty anal about it.

05-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Women who are all like, "Oh shiiiii-iit.." in that like, really orgasmic, super-sexy voice should be shot for stopping their swearing :(

ElanthianSiren
05-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Jesae
As I'm sure everyone else is already aware of, my family is pretty...well, dysfunctional on its own. We swear a good deal. However, the f-bomb is used lightly and so when I go over there just slinging it around in a general conversation, I'm told to tone it down.

oops.... this is a dysfunction? I guess I'm in. Most often curse used: 'Jesus H Christ' and 'F'in A'. I don't cuss around little kids or at animals though and generally not out of anger, so go me.

-Melissa

Brattt8525
05-30-2005, 08:04 PM
I have the habit of making up swear words when I get hurt or get really mad at something. Friends and family think its funny and of course I don't.

[Edited on 5-31-2005 by Brattt8525]

Vixen
05-30-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't know if this is a dysfunction or just me being an idiot, or both... but, I yell at people all the time that can't hear me.
Like when someone is in front of me driving below the speed limit or something in the fast lane.... I yell at them like they are supposed to hear me. It makes my husband hysterical.

On a more serious/weird note... I can't stand to have my face touched. There are many reasons why that no one wants to know, but I've never been able to get past it. Its made relationships with family, friends, and obviously my husband, very interesting at times.

Jenisi
05-30-2005, 08:13 PM
I have too many flaws to name them all... I guess the main ones would be cursing, trust issues (especially with significant others), procrastination, and pushing people out of my lives way too easy. But hey, at least I'm not afraid to admit it.

Kenn
05-31-2005, 04:03 AM
I have a really bad temper.

Also, I'm incredibly gifted, but incredibly lazy. I apply my intelligence to counter productive activities, which ultimately landed me in jail and a felony.

War Angel
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
I have a lot of potential but I am allergic to success.
Fear of getting to the end of anything and failing at the last moment.
Settling for being mediocre because it's easier than being exceptional.
Overly sensitive and emotional.

Parker
05-31-2005, 01:20 PM
I have a tendency to be very flighty. Especially on a romantic level. I am happy with one person, until someone new and exciting and potential better comes along, and then nearly without fault, the grass is always greener.

CrystalTears
05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm lazy and a procrastinator. I'm awful at picking up and putting away unless I'm at work. At work I'm nearly anal about where my things are and how everything is organized.

I'm very particular about having my socks of the same length, I don't know why. Meaning no matter what kind of socks, I stand with my legs together and make sure that the socks are aligned. According to my mother I've been this way since I could walk.

I'm incredibly stubborn. Whenever I'd tell someone I'm Taurus, they'd reply with "Figures!". I don't like to be told what to do or how to do it except for work. Seems at work I need serious guidance and constant praise or I think I suck. At home if I don't know how to do something I play complete stupid (yes I'm playing!). I'll start asking questions like "where is that phone number?" or "do we have that kind of pan?" I'm like Bill Cosby in the worst way, that if I don't want to do something, I waste time with dumb questions. I still don't know why I'm like this, and sadly sometimes it makes me laugh cause it frustrates my fiance. I'm a sick woman.

Please don't make me name them all. :sniff: I'm dysfunctional in the worst way.

KymberlynX
05-31-2005, 02:48 PM
I think my biggest problem is that I'm too nice to people, even when they take advantage of me and treat me like shit.

I like to believe there is good in everyone and wind up giving people a lot of chances and as long as I believe in them, I will continue to give them chances. Then, once their chances wear out, I hold a grudge that can last forever. I can literally sit in the same room with someone and ignore them and not think twice about it.

Still, I'm too nice to be mean to people that hurt me and just wind up dealing with them being around rather than telling them to fuck off entirely.

Other bad traits are that I'm lazy, I procrastinate, and I can never let things go. If I know something is wrong, I will persue it until I find out the truth, then more often than not I regret persuing it in the first place because it usually ends with me being broken hearted.

Shalla
06-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I have alot of dysfunctions. I guess at the top of my head right now is how the existentialist dilemma apply to me. I also play mind games and play with people's head. Especially guys, excluding friends.

There is a reason why I chose to put the quote in my profile in game. "I could be everything you've ever wanted, anything you have ever dreamed of. In a blink of an eye, I could turn into your worst nightmare. Would you care to take that risk?

Maybe because deep down inside, I know I am psychologically fucked, that needs to talk about it with a professional.

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Lady Shalla]

Czeska
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by War Angel
I have a lot of potential but I am allergic to success.
Fear of getting to the end of anything and failing at the last moment.
Settling for being mediocre because it's easier than being exceptional.
Overly sensitive and emotional.

Yeah that.

Plus I worry about everything. Everything. I worry.. a lot.. about everything. Which leads to wanting to make everyone happy.

Ugh.. :takes a paxil and goes to bed:

xtc
06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Lady Shalla
I have alot of dysfunctions. I guess at the top of my head right now is how the existentialist dilemma apply to me. I also play mind games and play with people's head. Especially guys, excluding friends.

There is a reason why I chose to put the quote in my profile in game. "I could be everything you've ever wanted, anything you have ever dreamed of. In a blink of an eye, I could turn into your worst nightmare. Would you care to take that risk?

Maybe because deep down inside, I know I am psychologically fucked, that needs to talk about it with a professional.

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Lady Shalla]

referral search form, bottom of the screen on the left

http://www.psych.on.ca/docs/bpwebsite.asp?bacodb=OPA_public

ElanthianSiren
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
IMO talking to a professional is no better than talking to yourself:

"What do you think is wrong with you?"
"What steps do you think you need to take to correct that?"
Give me your 200.00/hour. I need it more!

-Melissa