PDA

View Full Version : How to Deblur Photo

Drisco
04-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm trying to restore the text within these two images so I can read them.

Anyone able to restore them?

I've tried the Highpass and Sharpening in Pshop CS5 but no dice.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/524067_10151510035840026_510585025_23668841_410787 296_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/578013_10151510036140026_510585025_23668842_164458 8099_n.jpg

Think the first one maybe, not so much the second.

Celephais
04-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Normally I would tell you that's impossible, but apparently they've figured out how to refocus an image (I'm guessing it's based on assuming a linear blur).

Anyway I don't know if it's released yet or how you go about getting the software, but you'd need to either wait a while til they release it or look around to see if they have a beta filter that you could use with the free beta CS6:
http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-sneak-peek-image-deblurring-adobe-max.html

Nieninque
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
It is based on movement blur, they track the movement (doesnt necessarily need to be linear) and adjust accordingly. It's pretty fucking awesome, in fact, but yeah, what Celephane said.

Gizmo
04-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Why people don't use a photo scanner for images like that, is beyond me..

Drisco
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Normally I would tell you that's impossible, but apparently they've figured out how to refocus an image (I'm guessing it's based on assuming a linear blur).

Anyway I don't know if it's released yet or how you go about getting the software, but you'd need to either wait a while til they release it or look around to see if they have a beta filter that you could use with the free beta CS6:
http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-sneak-peek-image-deblurring-adobe-max.html

It is based on movement blur, they track the movement (doesnt necessarily need to be linear) and adjust accordingly. It's pretty fucking awesome, in fact, but yeah, what Celephane said.

Yeah in my search I saw the Preview and immediately tried to find a CS6 download. The beta is the only thing I could find and the deblur plugin is not in it.

Androidpk
04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Gimp has a photo deblur filter but I don't know how well it works.

Drew
04-09-2012, 11:13 AM
I thought the new deblur plugin would only fix out of focus shots not motion blur?

Celephais
04-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Gimp has a photo deblur filter but I don't know how well it works.

For the hell of it I popped his photo into gimp and tried the unsharpen mask tool, there might be better plugins, but it can't really handle this level of blur.

I thought the new deblur plugin would only fix out of focus shots not motion blur?

The thing in that link has to do with tracking movement, so a shaky hand.

Latrinsorm
04-09-2012, 01:37 PM
1. zoom in
2. enhance

Androidpk
04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
For the hell of it I popped his photo into gimp and tried the unsharpen mask tool, there might be better plugins, but it can't really handle this level of blur.

How do you like gimp? I've kind of gimped myself and haven't used anything but PS for the last 10 years.

Androidpk
04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Also, I think that blur is a combination of poor focus, hand movement, and just plain technical limitations on the camera. Cell phone i'm guessing. I'd be surprised if anything short of some NSA-level software would make that shit legible.

Asha
04-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Considering Gimp is free and PS costs just under seven thousand dollars, it holds up pretty well.

Androidpk
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Drew, what is the context of that stuff anyways. It looks like some sort of quiz.

Celephais
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
How do you like gimp? I've kind of gimped myself and haven't used anything but PS for the last 10 years.
If I were doing anything even remotely serious I would want to use photoshop, Gimp just kind of rubs me the wrong way. Any of my light lifting I use Paint.NET and it feels much cleaner. If I needed to do some real photo manipulation and couldn't use photoshop I could get by with gimp.

To people who are looking for something better than paint but not wanting to pay I typically recommend Paint.NET, easier for low tech savys to get started in.

Considering Gimp is free and PS costs just under seven thousand dollars, it holds up pretty well.

Currently CS6 beta is free, I haven't looked into it so I don't know how long til it time bombs or whatever. Photoshop CS5 student/teacher is less than $200, Photoshop Elements is about $80, retail is $650, upgrade is $200. Sure the whole bundle is a bit less than $2k, but if you're working professionally with images, worth it.

I haven't played with Elements, but my understanding is it's pretty full featured for only $80. I would think if you were doing a lot of dabbling, and more importantly, want to keep your skills relevant (IE plan on putting it on a resume, so that you can use it professionally some day), it's worth the $80.

... of course all of this assumes you're actually paying for the software.

Nieninque
04-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Nope. Seen a preview. Motion blur is what its about.

Androidpk
04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Still fucking with this, only words I can make out are russia and dad.

Drisco
04-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Drew, what is the context of that stuff anyways. It looks like some sort of quiz.

Whose Drew?!

It's an old Finance exam. I know what is missing from the Pages (Insurance Income Expense) but I wanted to see the format of the problem.

Oh welllll!