PDA

View Full Version : Simucon 2012

leifastagsweed
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Alright, let's hear it. Who's going?

Gizmo
04-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm still on the edge about going or not going. I still want to go to at least one, but I'm not sure yet if this year is it or not.

From what I have gathered, not many people I know have said they are going to go, which is a huge swaying point for myself.

I'll never go to a Simucon if I have like no one to go with, but if I do have someone to go with then I'll likely go. I just don't see myself ever wanting to go solo to one of these things, it would be a drag

Bhaalizmo
04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
From what I have gathered, not many people I know have said they are going to go, which is a huge swaying point for myself.

This is the only reason I've never gone. Fear of being the lone gemstoner at a con full of dragon realmsers.

Edit: I'm sure simucon is largely a fun drunkfest and it wouldn't matter which game you play because people are likely just getting drunk and having a good time. At least, that's how I've always pictured it, and how it appears in pictures.

dott
04-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Simucon's declining year by year. If you're gonna go, better now than later. Last year's was my first since '05, and way smaller than previous. Which was nice, in a way. Less of a con than a gathering of drunk nerds. I'm gonna be there this year.

Bhaalizmo
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
How many people would you estimate there were there last year and male/female ratio?

Asha
04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I totally forgot about it. I wanted to come down with Miss X.

Drew
04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
How many people would you estimate there were there last year and male/female ratio?

Considering adding this to your list of dating websites?

AnticorRifling
04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
I totally forgot about it. I wanted to come down with Miss X.

Haven't talked to her in years, hopefully she's doing well.

Drew
04-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Also the DragonRealms chicks are super slutty.

Ryvicke
04-17-2012, 10:41 AM

There's that one DR chick that is "hot" and I always wonder if she just throws the whole Simucon alignment out of whack.

Gizmo
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM

Yeah, they are!

Bhaalizmo
04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Considering adding this to your list of dating websites?

Weird question. No. Mainly because it's not a website. I did think I might attend and have a few beers with other gemstoners though.

Celephais
04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Weird question. No. Mainly because it's not a website. I did think I might attend and have a few beers with other gemstoners though.

. . . you're aware that asking what the girl/guy ratio is implies you don't give a shit about simply meeting fellow gemstoners and you're more interested in meeting girls that you have an instant "in" with to start talking to.

Bhaalizmo
04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
. . . you're aware that asking what the girl/guy ratio is implies you don't give a shit about simply meeting fellow gemstoners and you're more interested in meeting girls that you have an instant "in" with to start talking to.

Really? I think you're making assumptions. Perhaps I simply don't want to attend a sausagefest. Or perhaps I do. Either way, I didn't think it was an illegitimate question. It's not like I asked if there was a bunch of easy whores there or anything.

Celephais
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Really? I think you're making assumptions. Perhaps I simply don't want to attend a sausagefest. Or perhaps I do. Either way, I didn't think it was an illegitimate question. It's not like I asked if there was a bunch of easy whores there or anything.

I make assumptions all the time, why not, it's the internet. Also I don't see you telling me I'm wrong.

It's not an illegitimate question, but you weren't asking for the ratio for anything short of wondering how good of chances you have at getting laid. Asking "think I could get laid there" wouldn't have been an illegitimate question either.

It's pretty obvious, ... every other simucon thread has eventually turned into mentioning it's a drunken hookup fest, you've recently posted about dating websites and things like adultfriendfinder, you then ask what the ratio of the fest is going to be. Context clues.

Tgo01
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Well did anyone ever give the estimated male/female ratio? It's not that I'm looking for a hookup or anything, just wondering how many condoms to bring.

Celephais
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Well did anyone ever give the estimated male/female ratio? It's not that I'm looking for a hookup or anything, just wondering how many condoms to bring.

Oh, yeah don't get me wrong, I want to know the ratio too.

Ryvicke
04-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Just look at all the pictures posted online from every year, it usually looks pretty 50/50'ish to me, although I'm guessing it's probably more like 60/40 in favor of dudes.

diethx
04-17-2012, 01:13 PM

lol I believe this.

Gelston
04-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Speaking of guy/girl ratios, how many whores are there?

Androidpk
04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Speaking of guy/girl ratios, how many whores are there?

90%

Kronius
04-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Aren't we all whores? Aren't we all...

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-17-2012, 02:38 PM
What's the female to male weight ratio?

leifastagsweed
04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
What's the female to male weight ratio?

I am LOL'ing my ass off, not only at your clever wit, but also, I just finally 'got' your avatar. Blonde.

From past event photos I've seen, it does look like primarily a sausage nerd fest with a few pepperings of middle-aged women and one or two strangely hot girls who seem to be lurking about in nearly every camera shot.

All this and MORE is why I was looking for shout-outs like, HEY! I am going! Maybe we could start a tally?

Ryvicke
04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I think I might be around the midwest during that time and decide to go at the last minute, I've wanted to go forever for some reason.

I think anyone wondering if they should go alone or without pretty good friends would do just fine. All the PC meetups I ever went to we loved each other unconditionally immediately upon meeting. Even Rob.

Tgo01
04-17-2012, 04:14 PM
I think I might be around the midwest during that time and decide to go at the last minute, I've wanted to go forever for some reason.

I think anyone wondering if they should go alone or without pretty good friends would do just fine. All the PC meetups I ever went to we loved each other unconditionally immediately upon meeting. Even Rob.

Yes yes we've all heard about Liagala's sexual exploits.

Liagala
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Yes yes we've all heard about Liagala's sexual exploits.
Yep. I'm so amazing that I can wreck the homes of those at a meetup I didn't even attend, from 3 states away! Dex's boyfriend is very lucky they moved to Texas when they did. She was next on my list of unsuspecting PC innocents to seduce.

AnticorRifling
04-17-2012, 04:58 PM
See and all my wife said was "Have fun I'm going to bed".

Dosselmeyer
04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
I am thinking of going. I will definitely go if a particular IG friend of mine goes... they're on the fence.

Anyway... who's NOT up for a drunken weekend of debauchery?

Asha
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Haven't talked to her in years, hopefully she's doing well.

She is doing real well, man :)

Bhaalizmo
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
They should schedule Simucon to coincide with 4/20. I think half the attendees would approve.

AnticorRifling
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
She is doing real well, man :)

Good to hear, she was one of my favorite posters from way back in the way back.

leifastagsweed
06-28-2012, 02:32 PM
http://forums.play.net/forums/SimuCon/SimuCon%202012/General%20Discussion/thread/1473687?get_newest=true

This irritates me.

JustDan
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
My $0.02:

I've never gone to Simucon, or even seriously considered it. I play GS mainly as a first-person shooter, and hardly RP at all. I have people that I like, and socialize with on LNet and such, but there's no real impetus to fly halfway across the country away from my large family, whilst taking time off from work, just to socialize with people who have my same sickness / addiction. I've always thought if they wanted people to go, they should offer some real game-based incentive to do so. The virtual equivalent of "swag", if you will. Everyone who goes gets a 30 minute alteration session, one +5 enchant to anything under 8x, two Gift of Lumnis Potions, a custom giftbox (attuned) enhancive, and 6 months of free Premium access (without accumulating PPs). No way in hell would that alone justify the cost for most people, but it's a nice added bonus for the people who concentrate on "winning" GS instead of socializing, and might sway a lot of the fence-sitters who are weighing the decision.

If I'm in the mood to party, get drunk, and indulge in random biblically-frowned-upon excesses, I'd much rather do them at home with my RL friends for a fraction of the cost / time / vacation time investment. But if there were some good reason to go beyond the social aspect, I might look and see if I was going to be passing through the area at that time, and drop in.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
That's basically what BlizCon does, in game mount/pet/costume/etc.

Bobmuhthol
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Is it me or are there more GMs attending than players?

And Simucon is only $100 to attend? That seems fairly cheap for a guaranteed lay (or many). The attendees list looks weighted toward men, though (out of 15...).

Some Rogue
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
1. They used to give away some things but it's pretty much done now.
2. If you've been to one recently, you'd know why they are wrapping it up so fast. 10 years ago or more, you could fill up a schedule with different seminars. Now there is almost nothing to talk about and most people just socialize anyway.

They should probably just stop having them at this point. If people want to organize something for socializing, go for it; but it's a waste of resources for Simu to do it.

Gelston
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm going to it. Hell, I've played GS since 95 or 96 (One of those) figured I'd go to one before they don't have them anymore. When I've been playing a game for around 17 years, I think it is time to go to one of those.

Atlanteax
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm going to it. Hell, I've played GS since 95 or 96 (One of those) figured I'd go to one before they don't have them anymore. When I've been playing a game for around 17 years, I think it is time to go to one of those.

You should had gone years ago. There is no point now, since it is not remotely close to a Con by prior standards.

Kronius
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM

This is pretty much my reasoning for heading out. After not playing in for 11 years, I figured I might as well before they turn off the lights. I couldn't really swing it back in the day financially, but I'm a bit better off than I was in high school. Go figure.

Gelston
06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
You should had gone years ago. There is no point now, since it is not remotely close to a Con by prior standards.

I couldn't. From 2002-2011 I was military and just couldn't. Before 2002 I was in High School.

leifastagsweed
06-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Shoulda been me, damn you Jemstra! :(

Androidpk
06-28-2012, 03:35 PM
My $0.02:

I've never gone to Simucon, or even seriously considered it. I play GS mainly as a first-person shooter, and hardly RP at all. I have people that I like, and socialize with on LNet and such, but there's no real impetus to fly halfway across the country away from my large family, whilst taking time off from work, just to socialize with people who have my same sickness / addiction. I've always thought if they wanted people to go, they should offer some real game-based incentive to do so. The virtual equivalent of "swag", if you will. Everyone who goes gets a 30 minute alteration session, one +5 enchant to anything under 8x, two Gift of Lumnis Potions, a custom giftbox (attuned) enhancive, and 6 months of free Premium access (without accumulating PPs). No way in hell would that alone justify the cost for most people, but it's a nice added bonus for the people who concentrate on "winning" GS instead of socializing, and might sway a lot of the fence-sitters who are weighing the decision.

If I'm in the mood to party, get drunk, and indulge in random biblically-frowned-upon excesses, I'd much rather do them at home with my RL friends for a fraction of the cost / time / vacation time investment. But if there were some good reason to go beyond the social aspect, I might look and see if I was going to be passing through the area at that time, and drop in.

Analogy wise I think a hack/slash game like Diablo would fit better than any fps game.

thefarmer
06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
It was fun when I went whenever that was. 01? 02? Now? I would need a very good reason to go. The attendance alone is pretty sad.

JustDan
06-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Analogy wise I think a hack/slash game like Diablo would fit better than any fps game.

Bah. I'm old. I don't play Diablo (or really anything else besides GS).

msconstrew
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I went in '98 as a teenager. Was a good time. Now? Never happen. If I am choosing to take time off from work, St. Louis isn't my preferred venue.