PDA

View Full Version : Attack?

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Turn on the news. Major cities in southeastern Canada and northeastern United States have a power outage. There's speculation that this is a botched attack from the Canadians, and terrorist movement has been ruled out.

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 05:09 PM
huh, odd.

-Adredrin

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Hey bob, strange as this may sound..I'm going to actually say something nice here..

IF you are young as you say you are, I do think its rather nice to hear of people from a younger generation actually watching the news. I used to get discusted about that when I was in HS, no kids in my grade watched the news..I was the only person ever informed. Bah

-Adredrin

Scott
08-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
Hey bob, strange as this may sound..I'm going to actually say something nice here..

IF you are young as you say you are, I do think its rather nice to hear of people from a younger generation actually watching the news. I used to get discusted about that when I was in HS, no kids in my grade watched the news..I was the only person ever informed. Bah

-Adredrin

Complimenting Bob is against TOS.

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
Err..Sorry, I'll never do it again :(

-Adredrin

Parkbandit
08-14-2003, 05:24 PM
[i]Originally posted by Gemstone101Complimenting Bob is against TOS.

Exactly.

And he's not that young.. he just acts like it.:smug:

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 05:29 PM
NY, Cleveland, Detroit, Toronto, and Ottawa all have no power..thats gotta suck..Think of how many people are stuck in elevators right now? Oi..

-Adredrin

Drew2
08-14-2003, 05:37 PM
[i]Originally posted by Gemstone101[/

Complimenting Bob is against TOS.

ROFLMAO!!

And I'm one of those kids that doesn't watch the news. It's boring. No dodging bullets, web-slinging, or Keymakers. Booooorrring.

Artha
08-14-2003, 05:39 PM
It wasn't a terrorist attack. It's Canada's fault. The grid in Niagra overloaded, and all those places are on it...so no more power for them, and it'll take at least until this evening. Has to suck for people trapped in subways and on elevators.

Snapp
08-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Boycott Canadians!

Drew2
08-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Other affected cities included Buffalo, Albany and Syracuse, N.Y.; Hartford, Conn.; Lansing and many other smaller cities in Michigan; Akron and Toledo, Ohio; some counties in southeast Pennsylvania; and Ottawa.

For those of you that know Kleyn, that's where she is. Poor Kleyn.

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Now we can all pray to the GS gods that it did not spread to GS headquaters ;)

-Adredrin

Bestatte
08-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Ahem..just as an FYI for all you brainiacs...

Niagara falls is in the USA and Canada. It's shared between the two countries. The power plant controls both countries' power, ours along the eastern grid, theirs in 3 provinces.

Something caused some software to fail, which locked out the generators. They do -not- believe it has anything to do with terrorism. If it had anything to do with it, the terrorists would've made a HUGE stink about it by now to let everyone know.

Terrorists don't act anonymously. They do it in a way that there's absolutely no doubt that it was terrorist activity.

I won't even try to guess what caused it, but I'd be pretty amused if that computer worm hit their terminals.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 07:24 PM
Stupid floppy-headed beady-eyed Canadians.

Edaarin
08-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Watch the racial slurs, eh? (Say it out loud in a slow, drawling tone).

Drew2
08-14-2003, 07:39 PM
::sings 'Blame Canada'::
(Watch the South Park movie)

Betheny
08-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Canadian isn't a race, it's a... a...

Well Canada's just the U.S sanctioned buffer zone, keeping the Arctic circle at bay.

Or something.

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Canadian is a religion, just like Native American.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Is that like Scientology?

Artha
08-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Terrorists don't act anonymously. They do it in a way that there's absolutely no doubt that it was terrorist activity.

It would've been a pretty piss-poor terrorist attack anyway. Not a single death (which is a good thing)...just lots of people trapped in elevators/on subways.

Drew2
08-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Haha I hope Gracy is in an elevator.

I hope Vif is with her.

Is that a little too mean?

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 08:01 PM
The problem seems to have been caused by lightning. This is a sad day for war.

CrystalTears
08-14-2003, 09:45 PM
It was just another reason for me to be happy that I don't live in a big city anymore, especially one like NY. I would have lost my mind.. or the little I have left. :P

Skirmisher
08-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Action news report:

Power just came on here about 10 minutes from the George washington Bridge finally! (thats coming from Manhattan for you non east coast knowing people)

Police are estimating that crime not only did not increase but actually dropped during this little canadian caper.

All this made me remember that movie Canadian Bacon.

"Surrender pronto....or we'll nuke Toronto"
:thumbsup:

The amazing thing about the commute home from work with no power for stoplights and such was that no one freaked out, no one was honking, and people were working together more or less and taking turns at intersections.

Another funny thing is how at work I was telling my coworkers not to freak out or anything cause we had a similar thing happen like thirty years ago. One grid( I think just over the border in canada that time as well actually) had some surt of surge that was going to overload the system so the auto shutdown kicked in to save the hardware from permanent damage. The power shifted (again automatically) to the next grid over in new york state and it also then shut down to protect itself and so it continued like a domino effect until it covered a simliar area to what happened this time.

One would think that thirty years later we would have a better system huh? Seems we do not.

All in all however I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well we all did together.

Heres hoping the lights stay on!

Skirmisher
08-15-2003, 05:35 AM
Taken from : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030815/ap_on_re_us/blackout&cid=519&ncid=716

In San Diego, the president said, "slowly but surely we're coping with this massive, national problem," and added that he would order a review of "why the cascade was so significant."

Bush said he suspected that the nation's electrical grid would need to be modernized.

--------------------------------------------------

:: Dramatic pause to wipe away a tear ::

His powers of deduction fill me with such pride .

[Edited on 8-15-2003 by Skirmisher]

imported_Kranar
08-15-2003, 05:50 AM
Power is back up in Canada, I think it's still down in the U.S. and will stay down until the weekend, or so that's what the news says.

According to the US Energy Director the problem involves some old transmission lines that need to be modernized.

And yes, the Niagra power plant is shared between Canada and the U.S. Some people just don't know their geography.

Bobmuhthol
08-15-2003, 06:03 AM
I was playing Counter-Strike until my computer started to melt and finally shut itself down and some guy was talking on his microphone about how if he were in New York he'd be looting the hell out of everybody. Can't say I blame him.

imported_Kranar
08-15-2003, 06:13 AM
There have been only 4 burglaries in New York.

Apparantly 4 burglaries in a city in one night is something to be proud of, but that information comes from the NYPD.

Ilvane
08-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Actually for all you Canada bashers..the lightning struck on the New York side of Niagra Falls.;)

Now stop blaming the Canadians!

-A

imported_Kranar
08-15-2003, 06:24 AM
I think the funniest, well incredible thing about all this is how it only took 3 minutes for this to all happen.

Quite remarkable actually.

[Edited on 8-15-2003 by Kranar]

Skirmisher
08-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Ilvane
Actually for all you Canada bashers..the lightning struck on the New York side of Niagra Falls.;)

Now stop blaming the Canadians!

-A

Yeah yeah.

But I bet it originated in Canadian airspace and angled down onto US soil.

Nuke Toronto damnit!

CrystalTears
08-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Kranar
Power is back up in Canada, I think it's still down in the U.S. and will stay down until the weekend, or so that's what the news says.

Nah, don't think so. Maybe some parts but already this morning most of it is up and running again.

imported_Kranar
08-15-2003, 08:57 AM
That's good to hear.

Makkah
08-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Is the word "Niagara" REALLY that hard to spell? God damn morons.

rht

Vesi
08-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
Is the word "Niagara" REALLY that hard to spell? God damn morons.

rht

Goddamn is one word.

Vesi

imported_Kranar
08-15-2003, 01:26 PM
<< Goddamn is one word. >>

Nothing is funnier than seeing a nitpicker defeated in the very post where they nitpick.

Goddamn nitpicking morons.

Thanks for the laugh Vesi.

Vesi
08-15-2003, 01:38 PM
<< Goddamn is one word. >>

Nothing is funnier than seeing a nitpicker defeated in the very post where they nitpick.

Goddamn nitpicking morons.

Thanks for the laugh Vesi.

Anytime.;)

I hope they get the electricity back on soon for the people in the Northeast and Canada. I worry about people that can't get out of their homes or their apartments.

Vesi

imported_Kranar
08-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Yeah, from my understanding Detroit will be out all weekend, and may have water shortage.

I live in Toronto, one of the affected areas. Luckily we had our power restored at 6 AM this morning and it looks like New York should be running like normal either later today or tomorrow morning.

Vesi
08-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Yeah, from my understanding Detroit will be out all weekend, and may have water shortage.

I live in Toronto, one of the affected areas. Luckily we had our power restored at 6 AM this morning and it looks like New York should be running like normal either later today or tomorrow morning.

Nice to know that you got your power back. I know I go nuts when we lose power for just a few hours during storms.(I won't be so quick to gripe about it next time)

I am just afraid there are many people (mostly elderly) that don't have anyone that checks on them ever. You hear reports of deaths during regular heat waves with electricity. I shudder to think what some of those poor people must be going through without even a fan.

Vesi

Skirmisher
08-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Lost power thursday at about 4:15

Got it back at about 4:00 am friday.

Lost power again at 12:00 noon friday

Got it back at about 7:00 PM friday.

:flamed:

Grrr.

Skirmisher
08-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Toronto Saved!

"We are fairly certain at this time that the disturbance started in Ohio," Michehl Gent, head of the North American Electric Reliability Council, said in a statement. "We are now trying to determine why the situation was not brought under control after three transmission lines went out of service."

Ok, Ohio shall now be nuked.

Never liked Ohio anyway.