PDA

View Full Version : Gemstone Free April

Pages : [1] 2

Kithus
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
For too long the gross mismanagement of Gemstone IV has been apparent. Customers are treated like misbehaving children. Quality staff members who won't bow to queen Sirina are let go. The forums are run like a police state with disagreement not tolerated. The only focus seems to be sucking as much money from us as possible and shady practices are being employed to do it.

This Droughtmans fiasco needs to be the final straw. This amounts to no less than deception and outright fraud. Along with a healthy dose of slander to those who dare disagree. You all know the situation and I'm sure you're reading the posts so I won't rehash it.

The bottom line is they will continue to act like this as long as we allow it. It is time to fight back the only way we can. I am declaring April Gemstone Free Month and encourage any of you who feel strongly about this to do the same. Cancel your accounts for the month of April and make sure your reasons for doing so point to the gross mistreatment of customers and poor management of the product.

A hand full of people won't be enough. Tell your friends and playing associates. Put it on Facebook and twitter. Get the word out. Put a response here if you're in and how much a month of your accounts is worth. Let's hit them for $10,000 next month and see if it opens their eyes.

Kithus
03-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Two plat accounts closed: $100.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 10:28 AM
I agree with the first paragraph, but if people would've read the fine print on the rules and prizes before signing up, they wouldn't had to have asked for a refund. If it is true that Simu granted refunds then reversed them well, that's a sticky scenario. But if you didn't sign up you wouldn't have needed it to begin with...

Also, be careful about taking $10k from Simu. You might not have a gs to come back to in may.

GoingGone
03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
One plat account closed: $50.

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
One premium account: $40

azim17
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Agree with Shaft, we are hanging on to a text game from the early 90s...not sure really trying to boycott is good for the long term. Even though you may hate Simu, if something like this actually happened they may say fuck it and throw away the key.

Suppressed Poet
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I have to agree with Shaft.

Yeah the Droughtman's prizes suck this year. I don't believe Simu commited outright fraud and slander though.

You are obviously bitter about the situation, but I don't believe you are going to sway anyone to cancel their subscription in April. I like the game, and this recently pulled BS is nothing new to Simu. This is why I rarely participate in paid events, I never post in the officials, and I generally try to avoid GM interaction if possible. Just accept Gemstone for what it is and be sure to read the fine print always.

Kithus
03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
They can treat us like this any time they want as long as we let them. Which means any time they want.

WRoss
03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Instead of just outright boycotting, has anyone tried talking to Elonka? I'm sure if one was to have a clear headed conversation with the overall manager of Simutronics then maybe something could be achieved.

Gelston
03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
I like this thread better.

AnticorRifling
03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Merged threads, removed double posts.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
This is like people complaining about the content of a television show. If you don't like it, don't watch.

I don't like the prizes of the new event so I'm not signing up. Moving along with life...

mgoddess
03-16-2012, 11:04 AM
This is like people complaining about the content of a television show. If you don't like it, don't watch.

I don't like the prizes of the new event so I'm not signing up. Moving along with life...
^^

Kithus
03-16-2012, 11:07 AM
This isn't about the actual DMC event. It's about how staff is treating customers and how that event was dishonestly marketted. Reversing of refunds, accusing customers of lying or being bad customers, bullying people who disagree on the official forums. This shit has to stop.

thefarmer
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
I agree with the first paragraph, but if people would've read the fine print on the rules and prizes before signing up, they wouldn't had to have asked for a refund. .

There was no fine print about the rules and the maze. Changes to the maze were talked about (AFTER many tickets were purchased) with expectations of being implemented in this DM.

The clear bait-and-switch prize list using the DM name is one thing. Changing the difficulty of the level maze after ticket purchase is another.

AnticorRifling
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Occupy TSC.

Some Rogue
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Occupy TSC.

That would require you to pay.

U R SO DUM.

Btw, there's a free weekend in SWTOR this weekend....

AnticorRifling
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
That would require you to pay.

U R SO DUM.

Btw, there's a free weekend in SWTOR this weekend....

Make new account 4 free month, occupy TSC, roleplay it out. U IS DUM NAOW!

JustDan
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Get about a hundred free trial accounts, roll up characters with names like NUFFZNUFF, FUSIMU, and the like, and write scripts to stand in TSC and holler obscenities against Simu.

Sure they get yanked, but I'd think the tipping point would be fairly low before they'd HAVE to acknowledge it in some way.

JustDan
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Make new account 4 free month, occupy TSC, roleplay it out. U IS DUM NAOW!

:yeahthat:

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Too bad they disabled the no credit card free trial link from Elonka's bio page.

thefarmer
03-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Too bad they disabled the no credit card free trial link from Elonka's bio page.

Go drop 5 bucks on a prepaid CC

Tgo01
03-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Agree with Shaft, we are hanging on to a text game from the early 90s...not sure really trying to boycott is good for the long term. Even though you may hate Simu, if something like this actually happened they may say fuck it and throw away the key.

GS is too much of a goldmine for them to throw it away anytime soon.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
There was no fine print about the rules and the maze. Changes to the maze were talked about (AFTER many tickets were purchased) with expectations of being implemented in this DM.

The clear bait-and-switch prize list using the DM name is one thing. Changing the difficulty of the level maze after ticket purchase is another.

Dude I don't know, I don't have all the answers. I wouldn't have assumed everything to be the same.

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Go drop 5 bucks on a prepaid CC

Oh, not having a cc wasn't an issue, the link on her page was just real easy and convenient :)

Elvenlady
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
GS is too much of a goldmine for them to throw it away anytime soon.

Especially if people are still willing to pay $25 for the Comedy of Errors that is the latest DMC which, judging by the sign ups, they are.

Tgo01
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
If I was involved in this at all the thing that would have pissed me off the most would have been getting a refund for the ticket then reading the post from Solomon basically calling me a liar and saying I manipulated the guy in customer service to give me a refund so Solomon ordered all refunds to be reversed. That and that one GM's post that said something like "You made a mistake now own up to it." I expect to be treated like shit by everyone on these forums, not from a company I've given thousands of dollars to.

thefarmer
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Dude I don't know, I don't have all the answers. I wouldn't have assumed everything to be the same.

It should be the same as when you bought the ticket. Any changes after the point of sale should give players the options for a full refund.

audioserf
03-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Marsftertron or whatever his awful name is saying "own up to it" is simply fucking staggering to me.

"Haha, we suckered people into signing up under false pretenses, now we have your money, learn to read you muppets, na na na na-na! THIS CONVERSATION IS OVER"-Simutronics

audioserf
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
"We feel there were far too many high powered items relesed in DM1. Here's you are gold ring."-Solomon

Gelston
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.bbb.org/stlouis/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/simutronics-in-maryland-heights-mo-310013366/complaints#breakdown

There has been ONE complaint with them in the last 3 years. The guy got his money back. Try that avenue.

audioserf
03-16-2012, 11:58 AM
BUY A POWERBALL TICKET TODAY!*

* please note that the winner of the Powerball will, instead, receive a free $5 scratch off ticket

Drew
03-16-2012, 12:01 PM
How many people are participating in this? I'm considering if there is some sort of critical mass.

audioserf
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
http://www.bbb.org/stlouis/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/simutronics-in-maryland-heights-mo-310013366/complaints#breakdown

There has been ONE complaint with them in the last 3 years. The guy got his money back. Try that avenue.

That one was for bait n switch too. Formation of a trend perhaps? If everyone on here went the BBB route that could ultra-fuck Simu, no?

Tgo01
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
That one was for bait n switch too. Formation of a trend perhaps? If everyone on here went the BBB route that could ultra-fuck Simu, no?

No. BBB has no real power whatsoever, and apparently no one checks the BBB before signing up for GS or other Simutronics games.

Gelston
03-16-2012, 12:06 PM
It wouldn't matter, I think Simu monitors it. They have an A+ rating right now. Any potential future investors would look at it to (Like if they decide to make another game engine or the like).

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 12:08 PM
How many people are participating in this? I'm considering if there is some sort of critical mass.

I think it's a good idea, reversing an already given refund is pretty much the hilarious-type shit that would cause me to not do business with a company again.

That said, I have a ticket to DM so I'm not going to cancel my account, but I have no problem dropping my premium account to a 1-char standard. I can't remember the last tmie I did anything on FWI.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 12:08 PM
"We feel there were far too many high powered items relesed in DM1. Here's you are gold ring."-Solomon

Yup

Sylvan Dreams
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
(Not that I am a fan of the company or anything but, Simu doesn't seem to have a membership or whatever it is with the BBB - shocker!)

I'm definitely not buying a maze ticket though.

The details of the BBB complaint:

Additional Notes

Complaint Category: Bait & switch advertisement
Complaint: Website said I would get 1 month free well guess what I get a 20 dollar bill about two weeks later.
Not much to say really. WEbsite indicated that you would get a month free to play games on their website 2 weeks later im getting a bill.
Business response: (Name Removed) subscribed to the Dragonrealms basic subscription and the DragonRealms: The Fallen subscription on 6/20/2010. When signing up for these subscriptions, he is given notice that their is a monthly subscription charge for each of the subscriptions. When adding the basic subscription, you are waiving the rest of the trial.

Due to his confusion in signing up the subscriptions and his subsequent cancellation of the entire account because he was caught violating our anti-afk scripting policy, I have refunded the charge.

Atlanteax
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with Shaft.

Yeah the Droughtman's prizes suck this year. I don't believe Simu commited outright fraud and slander though.

You are obviously bitter about the situation, but I don't believe you are going to sway anyone to cancel their subscription in April. I like the game, and this recently pulled BS is nothing new to Simu. This is why I rarely participate in paid events, I never post in the officials, and I generally try to avoid GM interaction if possible. Just accept Gemstone for what it is and be sure to read the fine print always.

Classic Enabler Syndrome.

SIMU will not change because of that passive attitude.

Latrinsorm
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
DDO is free to play! :)

edited to add: it's almost as much of a trainwreck as GS, but it's still free.

Tgo01
03-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Due to his confusion in signing up the subscriptions and his subsequent cancellation of the entire account because he was caught violating our anti-afk scripting policy, I have refunded the charge.

"The guy was an idiot and a cheat so he quit and I gave him his money back." Did Solomon personally write that?

caelric
03-16-2012, 12:54 PM

2 Plat accounts. $100. After I use my gift for the week, of course, which starts today.

g++
03-16-2012, 01:08 PM
As a former gemstone player I have to wonder...gemstone is like smoking if any of you could actually quit for a month why on earth would you ever go back?

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Because smoking with your friends is enjoyable.

g++
03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Fair enough. Well if any of you smokers want to delve into crack cocaine while your taking april off from smoking were on dunemaul horde.

DaCapn
03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Classic Enabler Syndrome.

SIMU will not change because of that passive attitude.

I guess that's not the part that bothers me about this.

What bothers me is that anyone (GM or player) seems to think that the fine print (i.e. "no refunds") means that people shouldn't be able to cancel their purchase. If you go to Droughtmans and then request a refund because you didn't like it, I agree that "read the fine print" is a valid reply. I've been reimbursed with credit before but have never been told that I won't be reimbursed when I've cancelled my order in a timely manner.

That being said, I read the offerings, was skeptical, and was glad that I waited to see what other people had to say about the event before buying a ticket. I don't like wasting my time getting charges reimbursed. I wouldn't have thought that I would have had trouble getting my money back before the event though.

Atlanteax
03-16-2012, 01:19 PM
As a former gemstone player I have to wonder...gemstone is like smoking if any of you could actually quit for a month why on earth would you ever go back?

Nostalgia? I played for a few weeks at a point last year, when I introduced my SO to the game (wanted her to experience first hand what I meant about MUDs and RP / etc).

But after seeing how many people I knew were no longer-playing, it was incidentally easier to stay quit afterwards.

Honestly tho, as we saw awhile go with a brief surge of interest in GS (via Facebook or whatever it was), people will return to play with their friends.

However, Gemstone is so badly mismanaged by SIMU, people will just limit themselves to entertaining the thought of playing again after reminding themselves why they quit in the first place (or repeatedly).

If some day Gemstone falls under competent and motivated management again (it *was* being decently run in the distant past), I would not consider it a stretch to suggest that it could be a popular game again.

Lord Orbstar
03-16-2012, 01:21 PM
The DM prizes were too powerful. they shouldve toned it down but shouldve been clear up front on that point. reversing a refund was dumb. they should have just closed your account and banned you if they really believed you lied (aka defrauded under false pretense). as a business that is their right. reversing a refund and being snarky demonstrates a more personal interest and vindictiveness rather than a business decision. but...are you surprised? This game is filled with artsy nichie minded people doin his because they love and believe in our little world. it is not run by (or for) the drooling masses or Microsoft cut throats whose bottom line is the bottom line.

I have been playing since 1995. Hope for change, push for content, but overall just enjoy it for what it is and stop getting emotional (emo style) over our little overpriced world and Simutronics. Not as cogent a post as i wanted but fuck it... i am on my droid and tired.

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Just to tally Simu's pledged losses:

Kithus: $100
GoingGone: $50
PK: $40
Caelric: $100
Me: $25

$315 pledged so far, so roughly 14 refunds worth of lost cash, not counting if these people find something better to do during April and then keep doing it.

Drew
03-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Count me in, just cancelled my premie account. Make sure you send an email to feedback stating that you are unhappy with the way GS is currently being run (that's more my issue, rather than this particular incident, I don't like the people in charge of Gemstone right now especially their imperious manner and conduct).

Lord Orbstar
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
You should give specific incidents and reasons; dont give a generic "i dont like the way you run gs4". How can they look at that and change if you dont give a real reason or suggestion for change. that is right brain "feelings" shit and not fixable.

I will not cancel. fan boi waiting for monks.

Gizmo
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
You should give specific incidents and reasons; dont give a generic "i dont like the way you run gs4". How can they look at that and change if you dont give a real reason or suggestion for change. that is right brain "feelings" shit and not fixable.

I will not cancel. fan boi waiting for monks.

You can still cancel while you "wait" for monks heh

Rahrah
03-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Closed two accounts (one premie and one regular) and took my main account from premie to regular subscription.

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Wait for monks? That's like an actual monk waiting for a blowjob. Not going to happen.

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Drew: $40
RahRah: $80

Total: $435/month

Kithus
03-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Don't email feedback. Feedback reports to Solomon. If you want to send to anyone I'd send to elonka@simutronics.com and david@simutronics.com.

xtirenx
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Total: $435/month

Simu's current profit from DM as gauged from website signups, with premium discount:

$1327.50.

Lord Orbstar
03-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Didnt they lower the cost of the DMC tickets since prizes.were going to be lesser? What sldid it cost last year?

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Simu's current profit from DM as gauged from website signups, with premium discount:

$1327.50.

Yes and it's going to sell out. But this is probably a good goal dollar amount, or hell why not just try to get $2,500 in pledged lost funding to tell them that this event has made them zero profit. Thanks for the idea, new account.

EDITED TO ADD: I actually have zero problem with the prizes or cost of DM. I've posted on the officials that I think $22.50 for a 1-in-10 shot at an 8x enchant is a bet I would make, and did make. My issue is with the lol-worthy Simu customer service. I think there should be repercussions for being that shady. To clarify further: I wouldn't have even cared if Solomon said "please direct all ticket cancellation questions to billing"--and then billing denied every one; it's the fact that billing wasn't on the same page, gave refunds to several people and THEN reversed the refunds, after they made the mistake. That's just pissing people off for no good reason.

Didnt they lower the cost of the DMC tickets since prizes.were going to be lesser? What sldid it cost last year?

$30 last year, $25 this year.

Makkah
03-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Just sent my cancellation request. Cited lack of DEV and gross mishandling of the DMC stuff. I did mention I'd be back when monks come out.

Haven't been playing any lately anyways. Playing CLOK and UL.

$25/month here

Kithus
03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
I just got off the phone with Simu at the number provided for accounts and billing issues. They had a meeting today, and are authorized to cancel the ticket in exchange for a half (11.25) credit being applied to a future event. If this satisfies you, go ahead and take it.
posted by 'Thyson'

Just saw this on the officials a half CREDIT and they'll get a ticket back to sell to a basic account for $25. Just terrible.

AnticorRifling
03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
If this satisfies you, go ahead and take it...

Wow.

TheEschaton
03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I think that was part of the customer's post, not a NIR.

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
If this satisfies you, go ahead and take it...

Wow.

At least they're offering to spit on it.

AnticorRifling
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
I think that was part of the customer's post, not a NIR.

Ahh ok, I hope that's the case.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 02:33 PM
You guys are validating their conspiracy theories!!!

xtirenx
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes and it's going to sell out. But this is probably a good goal dollar amount, or hell why not just try to get $2,500 in pledged lost funding to tell them that this event has made them zero profit. Thanks for the idea, new account.

EDITED TO ADD: I actually have zero problem with the prizes or cost of DM. I've posted on the officials that I think $22.50 for a 1-in-10 shot at an 8x enchant is a bet I would make, and did make. My issue is with the lol-worthy Simu customer service. I think there should be repercussions for being that shady. To clarify further: I wouldn't have even cared if Solomon said "please direct all ticket cancellation questions to billing"--and then billing denied every one; it's the fact that billing wasn't on the same page, gave refunds to several people and THEN reversed the refunds, after they made the mistake. That's just pissing people off for no good reason.

$30 last year, $25 this year.

The way I see it, the customer service wouldn't be this bad if any of the staff members involved actually believed in what they were fighting for. My suspicion is that this Droughtman's run came as the result of some cash grab directive from up top, and the off-site GMs are having to defend something that is ultimately indefensible. There was no pre-hyping of this event, just a sudden post that it would be happening.

It could be that some of them (Marstreforn) just like to argue and are getting a little power high, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the staff are just as baffled about the need for this DMC run, as well as increasingly insane directives from the home office.

Canceling accounts is definitely one way to get them to listen, but I can't help but think it's ineffective. You're expecting people at the top (Elonka Dunin, David Whatley) to behave in a rational manner when their directives are at the root of what's wrong with GS.

They simply have given no indication over the years that they are capable of running a business. Simutronics has squeaked by with flash-in-the-pan successes, free workers, and a good bit of luck. It's clear that the CEO knows how to make games that make money, but once that money is in house, Simutronics has no clue how to manage it.

Unless by 'manage' one means spending it on overpriced white board paint.

This post has been a bit of a ramble, but my point is this: as bad as this interaction with GM's lower-level staff has been, the rot starts at the top. Appealing to the root cause isn't going to get us anywhere.

HouseofElves
03-16-2012, 02:46 PM
The way I see it, the customer service wouldn't be this bad if any of the staff members involved actually believed in what they were fighting for. My suspicion is that this Droughtman's run came as the result of some cash grab directive from up top, and the off-site GMs are having to defend something that is ultimately indefensible. There was no pre-hyping of this event, just a sudden post that it would be happening.

It could be that some of them (Marstreforn) just like to argue and are getting a little power high, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the staff are just as baffled about the need for this DMC run, as well as increasingly insane directives from the home office.

Canceling accounts is definitely one way to get them to listen, but I can't help but think it's ineffective. You're expecting people at the top (Elonka Dunin, David Whatley) to behave in a rational manner when their directives are at the root of what's wrong with GS.

They simply have given no indication over the years that they are capable of running a business. Simutronics has squeaked by with flash-in-the-pan successes, free workers, and a good bit of luck. It's clear that the CEO knows how to make games that make money, but once that money is in house, Simutronics has no clue how to manage it.

This post has been a bit of a ramble, but my point is this: as bad as this interaction with GM's lower-level staff has been, the rot starts at the top. Appealing to the root cause isn't going to get us anywhere.

Just saving this.

thefarmer
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Don't email feedback. Feedback reports to Solomon. If you want to send to anyone I'd send to elonka@simutronics.com and david@simutronics.com.

Feedback doesn't just report to Solomon. Solomon answers the feedback too. Like when someone wrote to complain about the refund/revoke issue, Solomon just backed himself up under a "GM" alias.

Latrinsorm
03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the idea, new account.lol

Elvenlady
03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
My suspicion is that this Droughtman's run came as the result of some cash grab directive from up top, and the off-site GMs are having to defend something that is ultimately indefensible. There was no pre-hyping of this event, just a sudden post that it would be happening.

... I'd be willing to bet that most of the staff are just as baffled about the need for this DMC run, as well as increasingly insane directives from the home office.

Yet Sirina posted the following which implies it was their idea.

So a month or two ago, Alyias and I were discussing revisiting Droughtman with a different prize schema. We brainstormed a few things, and I didn't actually write them down. So today, when I sat to write down the details, I blanked on some of the stuff we discussed and messed it up.

~Sirina

Do they not discuss things with the rest of the GM staff before making decisions and announcements?

xtirenx
03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Just saving this.

I have no intention of editing or deleting my post. What, do you think they're going to send people after me and make me recant at gunpoint?

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 03:00 PM
I have no intention of editing or deleting my post. What, do you think they're going to send people after me and make me recant at gunpoint?

Actually..

Tgo01
03-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Actually..

Two periods!

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM

I can't quite parse your argument here.

So here's mine:

David Whatley or Elonka Dunin don't give too much of a shit about GS and DR. Solomon and Sirina are paid a salary to run these text games, they seem to both want to keep their jobs. No one really knows how much micromanagement they receive from the top, but if they ever face some type of employee review and are asked tough questions about why they continue to lose subscribers it's probably pretty easy for them to just say "umm... we're running text games in 2012." Natural attrition, a larger spike downward in subscribers might raise more questions when their boss sees the monthly spreadsheet.

My issue is that it has become obvious that these text games could be run better with no increase in overhead. You state that Simutronics spends money poorly--the profit from the subscription fees that we pay (after going to pay server costs and Solomon/Sirina salaries) are in no way reinvested into any of Simutronics' text games so I'm not sure where you're coming from about their inability to invest wisely in the games. I'm not trying to change that system--I'm guessing that's not even a topic that can be brought up in the monthly text-game checkin. Solomon and Sirina are in a tough position: their bosses want them to make more money with zero investment. DM was a huge success: whether Alyias coded it for free or Coase came back and got some meager freelancer pay--the cost was nil compared to the 30k that came their way.

But that's the thing: when you're working with subscriber totals that you want to maintain, why act in a way that is so obviously going to lose you money? The two of them must either have a really really long leash (are under no pressure from DW to do a good job with the text business), are incompetent at the most basic level or just don't give a shit.

EDIT: Sirina has attested to NOT being a full-time employee of Simutronics, so I'm guessing she has less of a direct line of communication to upper management and therefore a bunch of shit I wrote here might not be relevant, if it even ever was.

xtirenx
03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
You state that Simutronics spends money poorly--the profit from the subscription fees that we pay (after going to pay server costs and Solomon/Sirina salaries) are in no way reinvested into any of Simutronics' text games so I'm not sure where you're coming from about their inability to invest wisely in the games.

Wouldn't that be a sign that my argument is totally correct? "Invest in thing, get money from thing, do not reinvest at all in thing, expect thing to continue running smoothly and serving as a money generator" doesn't sound like a logical strategy to me.

With regard to Solomon's and Sirina's competence, I don't think that's at issue here. In my business experience, when I see baffling behavior from lower-level management, it's a symptom of trying to interpret bizarre or untenable demands from up top. Since no one knows what's happening behind the scenes, that interpretation of what's happening is as valid as any other.

EDITED TO ADD:

But that's the thing: when you're working with subscriber totals that you want to maintain, why act in a way that is so obviously going to lose you money? The two of them must either have a really really long leash (are under no pressure from DW to do a good job with the text business), are incompetent at the most basic level or just don't give a shit.

As I can't attest to or against their competence, I will say that it's clear that both of them 'give a shit.' No one would willingly accept the meager amount Simutronics must be paying them to serve as the Simutronics executives' human sneeze guards unless they cared about the games they represented. We all know GMs don't get enough monetary recompense to deal with what they deal with. They supplement their income with a love of their game.

Sylvan Dreams
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM

They don't know how to run a business? Are you crazy? They have a barely-compensated staff of coders who volunteer to do the work, tons of complaints of customer service, game development barely exists outside of creating new pay events, they SELL OUT certain pay events - even at HUNDREDS of dollars PER ticket. They convince people to spend $15-55 a month to access the game with the aforementioned support issues and innumerable other issues that would take days to post, people KEEP COMING BACK, even if they don't stay, they reactivate, nevermind who knows how many people that outright don't play but have their accounts active. They've made a shit ton of money off of their playerbase and continue to do so even as the quantity of their playerbase drops and the number of "staff" drops.

How many other companies or products would remain alive for this long with that setup?

Bobmuhthol
03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
The game isn't growing; they're smart not to put more money into it and simply rake in what the existing customer base pays to do other things.

How many other companies or products would remain alive for this long with that setup?

Just about every monopoly and/or company with huge network benefits. Cable companies and facebook, for example.

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Wouldn't that be a sign that my argument is totally correct? "Invest in thing, get money from thing, do not reinvest at all in thing, expect thing to continue running smoothly and serving as a money generator" doesn't sound like a logical strategy to me.

With regard to Solomon's and Sirina's competence, I don't think that's at issue here. In my business experience, when I see baffling behavior from lower-level management, it's a symptom of trying to interpret bizarre or untenable demands from up top. Since no one knows what's happening behind the scenes, that interpretation of what's happening is as valid as any other.

I don't think bizarre or untenable demands makes you respond to people inappropriately on the company message board. There are ways to communicate a company policy that people will be upset about that doesn't include telling them they're stupid.

Anyhow, I don't think we're disagreeing, but I'm of the opinion that Whatley probably thinks about GS and DR once a month at most. If Solomon felt pressure from upper management to increase subscriptions or even maintain current subscription levels I don't think he'd be telling anyone to fuck off over $22.50.

caelric
03-16-2012, 03:30 PM
T
Just about every monopoly and/or company with huge network benefits. Cable companies and facebook, for example.

QFT.

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 03:32 PM
EDITED TO ADD:

As I can't attest to or against their competence, I will say that it's clear that both of them 'give a shit.' No one would willingly accept the meager amount Simutronics must be paying them to serve as the Simutronics executives' human sneeze guards unless they cared about the games they represented. We all know GMs don't get enough monetary recompense to deal with what they deal with. They supplement their income with a love of their game.

I've always thought Solomon was probably paid pretty decently (for the midwest at least). He's not a volunteer GM, running these games is his full-time job.

But you're also losing me cause you're starting to sound kind of insane: why are Solomon/Sirina the Simu execs' "human sneeze-guard"? Are the bad vibes of this minuscule community (comparative to say... those that play iPhone games) really ever on the minds of a Simu exec? Has it ever once seemed like Sirina has a "love of the game"?

Androidpk
03-16-2012, 03:44 PM
He's not a volunteer GM, running DR is his full-time job.

I thought it was this.

Atlanteax
03-16-2012, 03:51 PM
They don't know how to run a business? Are you crazy? They have a barely-compensated staff of coders who volunteer to do the work, tons of complaints of customer service, game development barely exists outside of creating new pay events, they SELL OUT certain pay events - even at HUNDREDS of dollars PER ticket. They convince people to spend $15-55 a month to access the game with the aforementioned support issues and innumerable other issues that would take days to post, people KEEP COMING BACK, even if they don't stay, they reactivate, nevermind who knows how many people that outright don't play but have their accounts active. They've made a shit ton of money off of their playerbase and continue to do so even as the quantity of their playerbase drops and the number of "staff" drops.

With all of that being said... just imagine how profitable GS would be for SIMU if they *had* exemplary staff & product management?

*THAT* is what is irksome about the entire situation.

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 03:52 PM
I thought it was this.

ha! That's why I said 'have you ever seen Sirina show a "love of the game?"' -- it's pretty obvious Solomon has no interest in the details of Gemstone. From what I've heard though he does really like DR.

thefarmer
03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
DM was a huge success: whether Alyias coded it for free or Coase came back and got some meager freelancer pay--the cost was nil compared to the 30k that came their way.

They stole it from DR.

edit: LOL@Alyias coding. We all saw how the airship went.

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
They stole it from DR.

Oh right--I forgot all that talk they had of how it went in DR.

I thought Auchand did the airship? Alyias has been doing some pretty timely and useful coding for CHE systems for the last year. I only assumed he did some work because he, like you, has GM wives.

Gizmo
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
They stole it from DR.

Auchand, you mean?

thefarmer
03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Auchand, you mean?

:(

You're right.

I blame spending the past two days puking for the error.

Divinity
03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
You could always stage something at Archon where Elonka is having her next public speaking engagement.. in October.[wiki]

Mycetozan
03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I do not care about Droughmtmans. I could never win anything in it anyway. I am not sure whether the people who have a problem with the way it was announced are right or wrong. I have not read the announcements. Howevr the way Simu responded really ticks me off. I think it would be good to take a month off from Gemstone anyway, so I think I will cancel for April (Premium account is that $40 per month?).

I will probably go back to it, but it may extend to a couple of months, or all summer, I am not sure. I will tell them the reason is the nasty responses and childish attitudes of their employees.

Suppressed Poet
03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
With all of that being said... just imagine how profitable GS would be for SIMU if they *had* exemplary staff & product management?

*THAT* is what is irksome about the entire situation.

I disagree. The vast majority of people who play gemstone subscribe because they like the game. We like the game mechanics, the way it makes you feel both the writer and reader of a story, the fantasy, achieving long and taxing goals, the alterations and rare items, that good 'ole feeling you had back in the 90s, cybering. etc. The majority of us pays or doesn't pay a minimum of $14.95 a month because of any consideration to the GMs, staff, or company. I like the billing department, but that has no weight on my decision to play or not play gemstone.

The only exception would be product. DM last year was a sucess because the player base thought it was a good value. If you don't think this is a good value, simply don't sign up for it and they will figure it out. I'm sure they would see a small spike in subscriptions going up when/if they introduce monks. I doubt the benefits are going to equal the time/energy/cost to make that coding and everything else involved, which is likely the reason we still haven't seen it.

In summary: if you don't want to participate in this DM event, then don't. If you are tired of the way the GMs treat you on the officials, stop posting there. Either pay for/play gemstone for the flawed game it is or don't.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I say we all fly or drive to David whatley's house and picket

BriarFox
03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
People could stop posting and complaining, but they won't. The reason players get upset, in my opinion, is because we constantly hold Simu to an ideal that Simu often doesn't live up to. People will keep posting on the officials, and they'll keep playing the game, and they'll keep complaining about it because they have too much hope to be cynics.

Suppressed Poet
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
I also forgot to mention that the player base is capped. They stopped trying to get younger kids to play this a long time ago. You think a 14 year old in 2012 is going to come across GSIV the way we did and play it? Hell no.

The gaming world has changed. Those kids are playing the latest MMORPG graphic games. No way would they have the patience or understanding to sit through the ammount of time it took us to get hooked. Beyond that, we didn't need our parent's credit card to play this back in the 90s. It was as simple as dial into AOL, hear the old fax tone ring awowowosowo1$%!%#, click on the games section, and later it would automatically bill for the hours we spent on it. It simply doesn't work that way anymore.

Point being, even bad ass product development to GSIV won't win that many new subscribers. Face it..we are all old, grumpy, and special.

(Speaking as a majority. I'm sure there are a few exceptions)

Gizmo
03-16-2012, 05:06 PM
:(

You're right.

I blame spending the past two days puking for the error.

Clearly your body has been expressing it's feelings for Simu lately in this case

Ryvicke
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't think anyone is advocating for further development or additional budget for Gemstone. We've all had that conversation so many times now it's not fun to talk about. They work with what they have available, barter dev/GM/GH work for IG perks and just generally attempt to keep the cashcow running.

Without adding a dollar to the budget of Gemstone, there are many things that could be done better.

Latrinsorm
03-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I disagree. The vast majority of people who play gemstone subscribe because they like the game. We like the game mechanics, the way it makes you feel both the writer and reader of a story, the fantasy, achieving long and taxing goals, the alterations and rare items, that good 'ole feeling you had back in the 90s, cybering. etc. The majority of us pays or doesn't pay a minimum of $14.95 a month because of any consideration to the GMs, staff, or company. I like the billing department, but that has no weight on my decision to play or not play gemstone.

The only exception would be product. DM last year was a sucess because the player base thought it was a good value. If you don't think this is a good value, simply don't sign up for it and they will figure it out. I'm sure they would see a small spike in subscriptions going up when/if they introduce monks. I doubt the benefits are going to equal the time/energy/cost to make that coding and everything else involved, which is likely the reason we still haven't seen it.

In summary: if you don't want to participate in this DM event, then don't. If you are tired of the way the GMs treat you on the officials, stop posting there. Either pay for/play gemstone for the flawed game it is or don't.A big thing you didn't mention that keeps people playing a game is community. How many times have you read a post that went "all the people I used to hang out with quit, so I quit"? This makes it even more imperative for staff to treat customers right, or at least not go out of their way to antagonize them.

I mentioned DDO and how it is also a trainwreck. Specifically, they recently pre-sold an expansion for $80, which included a number of instant perks. Well, it turns out that a lot of people didn't get the perks, a lot of people were double-charged, all kinds of huge problems. The staff's response was timely and appropriate: they said they would make it right, responded to feedback from the community, all in all behaved professionally. They did not accuse players of being idiots, malcontents, etc. They did not refund, de-refund, re-half-refund.

Please note how nothing about this requires a large staff, or a well paid staff, or whatever. All it takes is being a halfway decent human being.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Why don't we all pitch in a 100 bucks, see how much we get, offer that lump sum to Simu to purchase GS, then let me be the CEO?

Makkah
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Why don't we all pitch in a 100 bucks, see how much we get, offer that lump sum to Simu to purchase GS, then let me be the CEO?

Will you make dragons?!?! (lol @ that guy)

Gizmo
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't plan on cancelling, merely for the fact I'm going to loot hunt like a mofo when everyone else quits and I have a month to hunt everywhere all alone to myself!!

Man, I'm going to be RICH!

Donquix
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
A big thing you didn't mention that keeps people playing a game is community. How many times have you read a post that went "all the people I used to hang out with quit, so I quit"? This makes it even more imperative for staff to treat customers right, or at least not go out of their way to antagonize them.

I mentioned DDO and how it is also a trainwreck. Specifically, they recently pre-sold an expansion for $80, which included a number of instant perks. Well, it turns out that a lot of people didn't get the perks, a lot of people were double-charged, all kinds of huge problems. The staff's response was timely and appropriate: they said they would make it right, responded to feedback from the community, all in all behaved professionally. They did not accuse players of being idiots, malcontents, etc. They did not refund, de-refund, re-half-refund.

Please note how nothing about this requires a large staff, or a well paid staff, or whatever. All it takes is being a halfway decent human being.

in simu's defense they really didn't necessarily do anything wrong. Changing the rules of the event a bit is kind of lame, but people were blowing up before that and they really didn't hide the fact that the prizes were different. people just saw "draughtmans" and jumped on it.

that being said, they still handled it fucking ridiculously. In the right or not, loyal customers most of whom have been here for 10+ years keeping your dying game alive wanting a mulligan on that shit should be a non-issue. They're so inept it's just sad at this point.

SHAFT
03-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Will you make dragons?!?! (lol @ that guy)

Yes. We will have an auction and we will release rideable dragon mounts! 2 will be regular dragons and one will breathe fire.

See? I'd be awesome at this. I would also scrap monks because anything that takes this long to release has to suck. We would create a new playable class instead of monks, like a dragoon, to go along with the release of dragons

Suppressed Poet
03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Yes. We will have an auction and we will release rideable dragon mounts! 2 will be regular dragons and one will breathe fire.

See? I'd be awesome at this. I would also scrap monks because anything that takes this long to release has to suck. We would create a new playable class instead of monks, like a dragoon, to go along with the release of dragons

Hell yes!

And the landing needs a pleasure house that is also an artisan skill for female characters only. Male characters will be able to recruit said prostitues and learn the art of 'pimpin.

That Jay
03-16-2012, 06:15 PM
And the landing needs a pleasure house that is also an artisan skill for female characters only. Male characters will be able to recruit said prostitues and learn the art of 'pimpin.

The only problem with that is that after only a few quick reps, there is an immense amount of round time.

Elvenlady
03-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I bet there wouldn't be a problem getting an audience for reps though.

droit
03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
The only problem with that is that after only a few quick reps, there is an immense amount of soft RT.

FTFY

caelric
03-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I bet there wouldn't be a problem getting an audience for reps though.

word

Dystopia
03-16-2012, 09:20 PM
I never liked the idea of paid events.

Now I see this happening. I feel bad for folks who lost money or missed out on what they thought was going to be something else.

Another piss poor example of GS cust serv.

2x Standard Accounts with 4 addt'l char slots each.

1x Standard with 1 account.

See you in May.

Lord Orbstar
03-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I can see the discussion in the Simutronics offices when all these cancellations come... "Winter is coming", then...silence.

Drunken Durfin
03-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Two periods!
Hahahah.

If I had an account to cancel for this I would.

Oh, and I'll still come back when they release monks in 2019.

Back
03-16-2012, 11:13 PM
So whats the tally up to? $500?

Gompers
03-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Oh, and I'll still come back when they release monks in 2019.

Careful Durf, at this rate it'll be an extra $10 a month to have an account with a monk on it - better start saving!!

Nordaak
03-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Makkah $25
Mycetozan $40
Dystoria $53

Total: $553/month

Tgo01
03-17-2012, 12:05 AM
I wonder if Solomon is going to think up a way to not let people cancel their accounts either. I gotta admit if there is a way Solomon is the man to do it.

Jarvan
03-17-2012, 12:34 AM
I wonder if Solomon is going to think up a way to not let people cancel their accounts either. I gotta admit if there is a way Solomon is the man to do it.

Yeah, it's called the cancellation "accidentally" didn't go thru. Sorry about that.

Kithus
03-17-2012, 12:35 AM
We're a lil over 1/5 of the way to where I think we really need to be. If you're tired of how Simu management treats its players show them where it counts. Cancel for April and let them explain to their bosses why their numbers dropped and the extra DMC lost them money.

Augie
03-17-2012, 01:11 AM
I see things still haven't changed much. Glad I quit playing so long ago. It's been over 3 years since I quit. I had 4 premie accounts between me and my hubby. At one point, we had 6 accounts.

The reasons I left have a lot to do with the way game development was and the way Simu turned a blind eye to making shit right. That was a lot of moolah over the last 3+ years they lost just from us.

I've seen where people say that there was a huge jump due to the FB page and stuff, but I never really cared to come back and I think a lot of us that used to play might come back for a small time but then we realize why we quit in the first place.

Hopefully all of you guys cancelling will do something to hit them in the pocketbook and make them stop back and think about their actions.

SpiffyJr
03-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Does it count if I sub and cancel in April? Trolol.

Yurp
03-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Count me in. I read through the whole Draughtman thread on the official forums last night and got pretty pissed off. Every time a GM replied I felt like they were shitting in my beverage. I came back a few months ago and have enjoyed the game but I won't tolerate the lack of respect to the players.

One premium account- $40

Riltus
03-17-2012, 10:45 AM
I'll pile on.

Occasionally, it is good for management to feel the cold splash of reality. They sometimes confuse the hierarchical "GM → Player" with the "Corporate ↔ Customer" relationship.

♫ Chaching, Chaching! Let that cash register not ring for 75.00 more. ♫

Your influence counts. Use it!!

Mark

Tgo01
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Ryvicke: $25
Makkah: $25
Mycetozan: $40
Dystoria: $53
Yurp: $40
Riltus: $75

Total: $668

Goal: $2,500

Come on people you can do it, put down the broadswords and give up the cyber sex for one month.

Kithus
03-17-2012, 11:16 AM
If you have specific examples of staff rudeness please post them here. I'm building a files of them to e-mail in.

Gelston
03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
give up the cyber sex for one month.

Not gonna happen man. Not gonna happen.

Asha
03-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Cancelled my second account (locker wizard) permanently. So that's one Premie account less for them. I was going to do it anyway and I don't know what's going on here at all but I'm jumping on the bandwagon anyway and saying it was because of this. Pfft.

Xzean
03-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm not really sure where to begin here, because there is just so much, but I'm going to give it a try anyway.

A - Misleading Event Advertising

1 - I've been out with some medical stuff for a couple of weeks and on bedrest, and I was told on Monday that we needed to get tickets on sale ASAP for this event. So yes, the information was slapped together quickly and no other GM reviewed it before it was posted except for Solomon. No, this is not normally how things are done.

2 - I updated the old news item from last year because I did not want there to be misleading information out there about the prizes, and I believe the box office links to that webpage for more info about the event. I did not realize this would push the news item back to the front page with a date from a year ago. If I had, I would have just written a new news item altogether.

3 - I thought that calling it a Mini Tournament and reducing the ticket price was enough to differentiate the event from last year's mega-event, but clearly that was a mistake on my part, and I should have given it a substantially different name. I apologize for that, but it was not my intention to trick anyone into buying a ticket.

B - Prizes

1 - I did not lie about why the semi-finalist prizes changed. If I were going to lie, don't you think I'd come up with something better than "wow, I'm a dumb* - my bad"? It is really disheartening to continue to be called a liar by players over and over again. In fact, Solomon offered to "take the blame" and say that he messed it up, and I said that would be silly, I messed up, there's no reason not to say so. People make mistakes. I corrected it as soon as it was brought to my attention.

2 - We are discussing some different options to replace or upgrade the participant prize due to your feedback. It still won't be a giant prize pool of uber prizes. There was an incredible amount of time and work that went into creating and QCing the prizes last year, and we do not have the time or resources to do that again. I am open to suggestions, however doing a GALD or other service for 100 people is not feasible - it needs to be a tangible item. (See how easy that was for me to say? Why would I falsely confess to doing something stupid when I could have just said that on the above? Answer: I wouldn't.)

C - Scripting and maze updates

1 - Scripting is not against policy. Only AFK scripting or disruptive scripting is against policy. I do not believe that anyone who won the Droughtman matches last year won solely because of scripting. With the facts that (a) the white door moves every few minutes, (b) the golden key is a random drop from pulling the ropes, and (c) the maze is redrilled to a new and random configuration before every single match, there is no way for any scripter or non-scripter to guarantee they can win - just that they can move fast. Anyone who wishes to create/use a macro or script to help them move faster, pull ropes faster, etc. has the same opportunity to do so - tools for doing so are built into our front end. Some players even posted their scripts so that others could use them if they wanted.

2 - The above doesn't mean that there aren't some improvements that can be made to help level the playing field among all players, scripting or not.
(a) We will NOT be penalizing people for getting lots of silvers from pulling ropes. The silvers are one of the biggest rewards for entering the event. (Silvers have NOT been reduced from the amounts in last year's events.)
(b) We have added a small death penalty to help even the playing field between characters of lower and higher levels. The fact that people were advising others to bring their lowest level new characters to the event so they could die fast and get back out there clearly showed a disparity, and that's been addressed with this fix.
(c) We have added the possibility that when a runner pulls a rope, something beneficial (silvers or key) may happen to another runner.

D - Mutual Respect

Everyone - staff and players alike - needs to remember that there are real people with real feelings on both sides of the screen. Let's please stop the bickering and the name-calling and instead try to focus on constructive ideas to make this event a success for those that choose to participate.

~Sirina

Just so people don't have to dig for this. Seems like this got at least SOME attention.

Ryvicke
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I would've liked to see her address the refunds given and then rescinded. That's the only real overly disrespectful thing I see in this situation.

caelric
03-17-2012, 01:05 PM
I would've liked to see her address the refunds given and then rescinded. That's the only real overly disrespectful thing I see in this situation.

other then the rude tone taken by Sirina and Solomon...

JaTrRm
03-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Ah what the hell... I never take part in any of the paid events anyway but after reading all this on the "officials" I'm disgusted by the piss poor customer service from Simu. Count me in for one premium account.

Warriorbird
03-17-2012, 01:57 PM

I think only Bubba can on that.

diethx
03-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm so glad I no longer play GS! You all should cancel for April (and longer) and come play GW2 with me!

SHAFT
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
other then the rude tone taken by Sirina and Solomon...

That's nothing new though. If you've been around for long enough you should expect it.

SHAFT
03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm so glad I no longer play GS! You all should cancel for April (and longer) and come play GW2 with me!

That's very tempting and I'll definitely check GW2 out. Looks incredible.

Manamethis
03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
cancelled a premium account and a basic account with 2 extra characters

Asha
03-17-2012, 02:48 PM
No wonder Simu hates the PC.

DCSL
03-17-2012, 02:52 PM
No wonder Simu hates the PC.

It's because we plot against their most valued customers, like Inspire.

Gelston
03-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Simutronics can do no wrong. You are all a bunch of shitty customers. Good riddance, I'll play with myself and get all of the merchants and services.

Asha
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM

That poor crazy douchebag.

msconstrew
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll play with myself.

Like that's a change.

caelric
03-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Inspire/Kizun/Doppleganger for GM!

Asha
03-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Urrgh I didn't know he was Doppleganger. That explains a fuck ton.

Ryvicke
03-17-2012, 03:00 PM
For what it's worth--we are giving them a chance right now to make it right in the 'events' thread. I personally would take any of these two responses and be absolutely fine with them:

"some refunds were mistakenly given, it is our policy to not refund event tickets, those that received refunds can keep them but no further will be given"

"some confusion existed in the first 12 hours of the event, those that purchased tickets during that time are entitled to refunds, no other refunds will be given"

This one I can understand, but would obviously not be as effective:

"it is our policy to give no refunds on event purchase tickets. We are very sorry for the confusion and any inappropriate reactions from our staff."

HouseofElves
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
"it is our policy to give no refunds on event purchase tickets. We are very sorry for the confusion and any inappropriate reactions from our staff."

I appreciate Sirina's post, but she really should have taken responsibility for the "name-calling" on the GM side of things. That's her obligation as a supervisor.

AlphaTactic
03-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Here's the letter I sent them (posting on an alt account to avoid retaliation):

Hello,
I've let my Gemstone premium account lapse along with others in a form of protest for the management of this game. My problem is with Sirina and Solomon. I do not particularly care for the way Solomon interacts with customers, he's far too easy to anger and quicker still to be rude, but he rarely shows up anyway. He appears to know and care very little about Gemstone and seems mostly interested in DragonRealms. I don't really care about the red-headed step child status of the game because I don't really play for new Dev, I play for Role-playing and content. If Solomon had installed someone who just ensured that content was all that happened I would be fine with it. As it is though under Sirina dev has completely fallen to the wayside AND every creative and resourceful GM has left or is marginalized by her cult-of-personality style of "leadership". There was a very public blow up recently on the unofficial message boards when one of the GMs who quit posted an "I'm leaving" letter, I know his player and he's always thought a bit too much of himself but in private everyone of my GM friends has expressed in degrees exactly what he has thought. Most of them no longer have any interest in proposing or running storylines because they know this is a quick way to get on the shit list if you go outside of any pre-established parameter that is set down from on high. This kind of iron-fisted rule is a sure way to slowly choke your product to death and creates storylines that players hate because they have no input and GMs hate because they are terrified to deviate from script and use their good judgement to create a better experience. The best thing you can do for your product is to have new leadership, or at least create a new set of rules for the current management to follow so that they can't run the game like their own private fiefdom of adulation.

As a personal favour I'm going to ask that if you confront Sirina with any information I've laid out that you please not mention my name or account name, I've been unwilling in the past to complain because I've seen others black-balled and I have no desire to have that happen myself. I have certain in-game goals for my character that require GM approval and I'll never get them if it's known I complained. Thank you for your time and consideration.

DaCapn
03-17-2012, 03:11 PM
I guess if you're approving a prize list for 111 runs (at ~10 prizes per run), the first run probably took them a lot of time to look over. However, 11 runs should be much easier. They could have taken a list of random prizes from the original one, read through the whole list, tweaked them a little, and call it good to go in a couple of man-hours.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find out that they don't have a prize generator that pulls from a database. Put a few new items through QC for an event, pull the rest from the database.

Ryvicke
03-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I never quite understood why they didn't just look over our prize list posted here from last year, grab a smaller percentage of awesome prizes directly from the list. Tell us specifically that there was going to be a downtweak in the prizes, but the chance of getting something awesome was still there, and then go crazy selling tickets with no complaints.

I mean--even if 8/10 people got some version of the 9-script dead cat, or like I got a lantern that made 30 constellations in one of my runs that had absolutely no in-game mechanical benefit, but was still a very cool item. Why not just do 8 of those "cool scripty things" a run? Certainly more awesome than a gold ring and ALREADY QC'ED less than a year ago.

If you had 10 GM's put together a combined 500 man hours just last summer QC'ing all these prizes, why not keep extending the benefit of that work? There were easily enough just fun enjoyable things (Yansio's, non-game-mechanic baskets full of girly stuff, those metallic dresses girls like, those cravats with different pin things that gay dudes like me like), that it's almost unfathomable that they don't just give stuff like that away again. With like... 5 TOTAL awesome items on top of it.

Asha
03-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Hahah did they really say here's a gold ring instead? lol
I really missed this whole thing. I couldn't find a tl;dr

Ryvicke
03-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Hahah did they really say here's a gold ring instead? lol
I really missed this whole thing. I couldn't find a tl;dr

First post: Winners of the 10 initial runs win a general alter/lighten/deepen (10 total GALD's) and grant prize unchanged from what it is now. Everyone else gets "token item." Everyone keeps the silvers they get from the maze.

Second update: Winners get a 1x enchant up to 8x, grand prize unchanged. Token item clarified to be 50-use gold ring (unnavable through 50 first uses). Silvers unchanged.

Next update: ??????????

Obviously: (NO?) PROFIT

Kronius
03-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Sirina said they're looking to improve the token prize. I suggested giving access to GIFTBOX.

She said it would have to be something tangible that didn't require QC.

The mechanisms are already there. They could tone it down if they wanted.

Ryvicke
03-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I would even be fine with a GIFTBOX of the non-rechargable twitter giftbox variety.

Asha
03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
First post: Winners of the 10 initial runs win a general alter/lighten/deepen (10 total GALD's) and grant prize unchanged from what it is now. Everyone else gets "token item." Everyone keeps the silvers they get from the maze.

Second update: Winners get a 1x enchant up to 8x, grand prize unchanged. Token item clarified to be 50-use gold ring (unnavable through 50 first uses). Silvers unchanged.

Next update: ??????????

Obviously: (NO?) PROFIT

Thanks bro. Fucked up.

Kithus
03-17-2012, 03:45 PM
I have no horse in this race. I don't play prime and wouldn't attend yet another DMC even if I did. I just want to see either people get refunds that want them or a change that makes the majority of them not even want them. An apology from Solomon about how this was all handled wouldn't kill me either.

GS4Merchant
03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Get about a hundred free trial accounts, roll up characters with names like NUFFZNUFF, FUSIMU, and the like, and write scripts to stand in TSC and holler obscenities against Simu.

Sure they get yanked, but I'd think the tipping point would be fairly low before they'd HAVE to acknowledge it in some way.

Well if you guys wanted help with that... should just let me know and I'll let the cat out of the bag for ya. ;)

username
03-17-2012, 04:21 PM
one premie and one standard cancelled... makes it easier that I haven't played in a while.

SHAFT
03-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Man, you guys are gonna kill GS. You're gonna call Simu at the end of April or beginning of May and the phone is gonna be disconnected.

GS4Merchant
03-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Diablo 3 drops May 14th if I recall correctly. Could all just go do that instead. :P

Kithus
03-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Damn I picked the wrong month to cancel.

Some Rogue
03-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Kithus
03-17-2012, 08:42 PM
This keeps getting better. Just saw this on the officials:

I like how they immediately deactivated Thyson's account when he called up. Instead of letting the time run out on his account that he payed for... This just get's better and better with Customer service at SIMU.

caelric
03-17-2012, 08:52 PM
This keeps getting better. Just saw this on the officials:

that either got pulled, or somehow I missed it.

Read Bubba's latest post for his latest take on it. He compares trying to get a refund on the upcoming DMC (almost 4 weeks away) to getting a refund for EG after already shopping at EG or a refund for a month subscription 28 days into the month.

Gelston
03-17-2012, 09:48 PM
I am going to be honest here. If you paid $25 without reading about what you bought, you need to learn to read. Now, was the CS from Simu horrible on this? Yes it was atrocious. I hope they learn a lesson from this. I also hope that in the future you, the consumer, also learn a lesson.

Kitsun
03-17-2012, 09:53 PM
I am going to be honest here. If you paid $25 without reading about what you bought, you need to learn to read. Now, was the CS from Simu horrible on this? Yes it was atrocious. I hope they learn a lesson from this. I also hope that in the future you, the consumer, also learn a lesson.

So do you read all of the EULAs for software?

Kithus
03-17-2012, 10:06 PM
What I'd like to do is ask folks to be patient and hold on to their tickets while we discuss the prize situation. When we get the prize situation settled and announce any changes, if they decide the event is indeed worth attending, then they still have their ticket. If not, I see no reason why we wouldn't a credit to their account and free the ticket up for someone else who wants to attend.

Solomon

He's agreed to give refunds after the prizes and what not are finalized if people still want them. I consider that absolutely fair. I'll be reinstating my subscription for April assuming this doesn't change.

EDIT: I am still waiting to hear from others who were/are boycotting to see if the concensus is for accepting the refunds as a reasonable solution or not. I have yet to reinstate because I see merit to both sides of the argument.

Kakoon
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
there's a hilarious episode of southpark where Kyle doesn't read one of the Apple disclaimer things and just agrees to it so is forced to become the HUMANCENTiPAD. Funny episode if you like Southpark

Gizmo
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
So do you read all of the EULAs for software?

EULAs are frankly, a bit different than an event and it's details I think personally.

But if you don't, I'll gladly sell you 5000 gold coins........................

...of chocolate

Donquix
03-17-2012, 10:48 PM

I said this earlier but I'll state it again...absolutely yes. It was stupid of people to sign up at the very mention of Draughtman's without reading what the prizes were. WHENEVER people asked about them doing Draughtman's again after the initial events they said they would be open to that but it would have a severely reduced prize pool.

That being said, giving people who most of which have been loyal customers to your dying game for over a decade a refund should be a non-issue.

He's agreed to give refunds after the prizes and what not are finalized if people still want them. I consider that absolutely fair. I'll be reinstating my subscription for April assuming this doesn't change.

I love that. "I see no reason" sure...you see no reason now. After you kick off a fucking shit storm leading to hundreds (if not thousands if some of these cancellations remain permanent) in lost revenue. You sure as hell saw a reason to tell people "fuck off, no" a week ago...

Tgo01
03-17-2012, 10:54 PM

You guys can obviously do whatever you want but I think you should stick to your April boycott. Yes you might have won in this case but giving in and cancelling the boycott isn't really teaching Simutronics the lesson you were hoping for. Going through with the boycott just might make them think twice before they pull some stupid shit like this again, cancelling it now just makes you all look like a bunch of pansies. Are you a pansy?

Jonty
03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Don't be a pansy.

Latrinsorm
03-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Not refunds, credits. Not sure if that changes your mind, but didn't want you to get boom lawyered.

Kithus
03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
I think a credit is fair. The company doesn't lose anything but the players who were going to continue to play don't lose anything either. That said I'm still more than a little annoyed about how the whole thing was handled. I'd like to know how some of those who were trying to get refunds feel about everything and also how other boycotters feel things stand now.

Lord Orbstar
03-17-2012, 11:56 PM
lol Kithus. You were the one that started the hysteria ball rolling then just change your mind with a, "Oh! ok. All is happy again." If you are gonna be a rabble rousing bitch at least have some conviction or do not rabble rouse until you are SURE it is necessary and the only way left.

demogogue.

Drew
03-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm not so upset about the particulars of this event, it's just indicative of the issues that GS management has let happen for years. I'm hoping we can have some sort of Arab Spring and get some new blood in here. But most likely we're just wasting our breath hoping.

Tgo01
03-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Red Gemstone Free April 03-18-2012 12:06 AM hater

diethx
03-18-2012, 10:28 AM
I love that they're wearing helmets. That's the best part.

Stretch
03-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I should send nub a check for reporting me for scripting. Gave me the final push to quit Gemstone forever.

Selling Kizun to Mtenda who then sold to Inspire was just collateral damage...

LordBacl
03-18-2012, 11:43 AM

They'd like to, but they are having a hard time finding gunmen who will work as volunteers and sign an NDA.

Lord Orbstar
03-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Doppleganger is inspire?

Kitsun
03-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Doppleganger is inspire?

Yep. I think his new alts include Rookwood, Leodon and Merindow.

Gelston
03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
STOP GANGING UP ON HIM PC GANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tgo01
03-18-2012, 12:30 PM
STOP GANGING UP ON HIM PC GANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How else are we supposed to plot against him?

Gizmo
03-18-2012, 02:01 PM

And Tetro

DCSL
03-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Yeah, and he AFK script hunts them in kiramon in Ta'Illistim. Strip-mining the skins. Just like he did with myklians. Fucker keeps poaching my kills without a word.

thefarmer
03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Not much to add other than the lulz was epic when I the lolneimanz reference by Bravura

Gizmo
03-18-2012, 08:26 PM
<<Being in the minority of people who actually read the event and saw the prizes before buying a ticket, and not having bought one due to the current prizes, I sure I don't just speak for myself in saying that if the prizes are changed yet again into something more worthwhile and I'm then unable to buy a ticket due to this I will also be voicing my opinion on that matter as well.>>

I'd suggest picking up a ticket. If you don't like the loot changes, we'll credit you and I'm sure there will be someone who will pick it up when it's available again.

At least in this particular case, it's win/win.

Solomon

lol wut? win/win?

WRoss
03-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Not much to add other than the lulz was epic when I the lolneimanz reference by Bravura

Accidentally this quote.

Dystopia
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
EDIT: I am still waiting to hear from others who were/are boycotting to see if the concensus is for accepting the refunds as a reasonable solution or not. I have yet to reinstate because I see merit to both sides of the argument

I'm keeping aforementioned accounts shutdown.

However, I'm leaving my enchanters up because people paid me for a service and I'm not going to break a promise to someone and fail to provide them with something they paid for and expecting. That'd make me a shitty person and I'd be doing the same thing Simu did IMO.

Tgo01
03-19-2012, 12:41 PM
However, I'm leaving my enchanters up because people paid me for a service and I'm not going to break a promise to someone and fail to provide them with something they paid for and expecting. That'd make me a shitty person and I'd be doing the same thing Simu did IMO.

Wait now, you might have an out for this. Did these people heap lots of praise on you for charging them for this work?

Kronius
03-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Wait now, you might have an out for this. Did these people heap lots of praise on you for charging them for this work?

Well if his customers were good customers, they'd know that it wasn't Dystopia's fault for having to cancel his accounts in protest.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend? There was no intention of deception!

Gizmo
03-19-2012, 04:47 PM
So Simu decides to be stupid yet again....And I laughed out loud...

All,

GMs Izzea and Tamuz graciously and voluntarily made a whole bunch of prizes for the Droughtman event. So with these prizes in hand, my plan is currently as follows:

You pick from the treasure pile and receive a random prize just like before. (I'll post a list after QC, but a few examples from the pool are a forehead gem, an animated music stand, a chronomage dagger, an endless humidor, and an enhancive runestaff.)

If your prize doesn't suit you, you'll have the option to trade it in for a Sadie scroll for a GALD (general alteration, lighten, or deepen service). You'll need to make this decision on the spot before leaving the prize room, because that's where the scrolls will be available for pick-up. These scrolls are not restricted for premium use, so all players may use them.

Should we put the traded-in prizes back in the treasure pile for future runs, or consider them rejects and not re-use them? I'm leaning toward the former, because one man's trash and all that...

~Sirina

Gelston
03-19-2012, 04:50 PM
How are they being stupid? People complained about the prizes, they fixed it.

JustDan
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
So Simu decides to be stupid yet again....And I laughed out loud...

I do believe you called it earlier today? That it might be worth it to buy a ticket just on the OFF chance that they upgraded what you could win? :)

Good call...

Gizmo
03-19-2012, 05:01 PM
How are they being stupid? People complained about the prizes, they fixed it.

Let's see, oh I know, they changed the prize list three times....

..and even mentioned the fact that the "prize list still won't appeal to every customer"...

And then, change the shit again? Seriously?

They may have well just said "Oh don't worry people, this new list that we made originally that we originally meant to originally post instead of the original posted one is going to be original......But we are going to change it again in a few days because it's actually not an original original"

Gizmo
03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I do believe you called it earlier today? That it might be worth it to buy a ticket just on the OFF chance that they upgraded what you could win? :)

Good call...

Yeah, I knew it would happen. One thing Simu is good for, and that is being unreliable

Gelston
03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes, and they finally got to a point where not only did they quickly sell their remaining tickets, but the original buyers are likely happy now. So what is stupid? Because you didn't get a ticket?

BriarFox
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Good change. That clears up the inadequate prize and pricing issues, at least.

Gizmo
03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Yes, and they finally got to a point where not only did they quickly sell their remaining tickets, but the original buyers are likely happy now. So what is stupid? Because you didn't get a ticket?

Nope, I have 2 still.

What is stupid is the fact that Simu, as a COMPANY, can not even decide on anything anymore, even after posting that their "decision" is final.

They fail at realizing that some of their posted, finalized decisions also affect other's decisions on things and outcomes on events. In this case, they posted prizes more than once, each time they change. And at one point basically flat out said "This is the official list which will not change", they just weren't blunt about it.

Not to mention making up false excuses as to why they "messed" up the prize list in the beginning. See: "On Crack"

Maybe I'm just old school where usually my words actually mean something when I say it/them. Clearly this is not the case for "a professionally ran company"

Suppressed Poet
03-19-2012, 05:11 PM
To Simutronics credit: They finally did fix this to be a good event. I'd probably consider buying a ticket now, but I imagine they have sold out. I'd say all in all, this is a lot better of a solution than most thought from when it was first announced.

Not to their credit: They are still d*cks/b*tches*f*ckups for not doing it right the first time and more importantly how they handled this afterwards. Overriding refunds is BS. Deleting posts that had legitimate concerns and not just flaming is BS. Saying 'whoops I was on crack my bad' is BS. Again, learn from history. I wasn't surprised by this and neither should you.

I think the good stuff coming in the event and the fact that it is only $25 outweighs all the bad. If I had a ticket, I would be happy.

Gelston
03-19-2012, 05:12 PM
They had horrible customer service, but I don't think their recent change was "stupid". They listened to their customers and fixed it.

Gizmo
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
They had horrible customer service, but I don't think their recent change was "stupid". They listened to their customers and fixed it.

Sorry, I should have said Contradicting then, that seems more fitting.

Tgo01
03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
GMs Izzea and Tamuz graciously and voluntarily made a whole bunch of prizes for the Droughtman event.

a few examples from the pool are a forehead gem, an animated music stand, a chronomage dagger, an endless humidor, and an enhancive runestaff.)

So, wait, I'm confused now. I thought the whole problem was "We gave out too many good items last year!" But apparently they just didn't set aside any GM time to make items or what? They just figured "Hey let's sell tickets to an event for 25 bucks a pop, these guys will buy anything we put in front of them."

Also if you people are going to thank anyone for the updated prize list make sure you thank the people who cancelled their accounts in protest over this event.

Suppressed Poet
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
So, wait, I'm confused now. I thought the whole problem was "We gave out too many good items last year!" But apparently they just didn't set aside any GM time to make items or what? They just figured "Hey let's sell tickets to an event for 25 bucks a pop, these guys will buy anything we put in front of them.",

Also if you people are going to thank anyone for the updated prize list make sure you thank the people who cancelled their accounts in protest over this event.

That's exactly what it was. They wanted to run an event for little to no investment of money and time to get a quick $2500. I don't think that is necissarily that bad on their part. They could have just said "this is the event, buy it or not. We will refund today and today only anyone who calls billing, but after today no exceptions.".

Out of all the GMs (and that is not too many) I have ever interacted with, GM Izzea showed to be a real champion to his customers. Given how he stepped in to make some items, I bet he had something to do with talking to Solomon to turn this thing around. I'm not sure who the other one is they mentioned.

I agree the boycott deserves credit as well. If I had actually bought a ticket when this was going on, anger might have got the best of me and I would have stepped in. To be honest I was surprised at how many people were willing to cancel their subscriptions in support of this. I just didn't share the same passion, being a happy customer and blocking out the negativity from the Simu staff.

That Jay
03-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Didn't Sirina also mention earlier in the thread that it would take too much time to make new items?

Yet Izzea and Tamuz whipped up some in the last 24 hours?

Hmmm...something is wrong with this picture.

Gizmo
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Didn't Sirina also mention earlier in the thread that it would take too much time to make new items?

Yet Izzea and Tamuz whipped up some in the last 24 hours?

Hmmm...something is wrong with this picture.

Yup, I just mentioned it to Kim Jay.

Sirina specifically said that it isn't the same prize scheme due to having NO time to QC items.

SHAFT
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Nice! I got a ticket a few days ago for the hell of it and now its worth it! Cha ching

Suppressed Poet
03-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I have the strangest feeling that this event is in support of something much smaller than Simutronic's bottom line. My guess is it is for the personal gain of an indivisual. If that is the case, I hope it went to a good cause like Solomon's kid is sick and he needs to pay the doctor or Sirina is getting lypo.

SHAFT
03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Couple of things...

1. How long until the people who didn't get tickets because of the shitty prizes start to complain?

2. More than 1 weekend would be nice. Maybe do another one so the people who didn't buy tickets can get in.

Gizmo
03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Couple of things...

1. How long until the people who didn't get tickets because of the shitty prizes start to complain?

2. More than 1 weekend would be nice. Maybe do another one so the people who didn't buy tickets can get in.

1. I gather an hour or so, it's only almost 3pm on the west coast so I imagine quite a few are still working.

2. That depends on the amount of criticism they get from the people who didn't buy I assume. But this is Simutronics, I'll have to think on it and call it how I'll see it in a days time or so

Suppressed Poet
03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they are going to say "you should have got in when you had the chance. See, we did make it right! This was intended to be a limited event.". Another mistake they will catch hell for. This whole thing is jacked up and I bet they will think twice before running a small event like this again.

I didn't buy one and I'm not going to b*tch about it. I'm happy for the ones that have the tickets, but reading the initial description I had no interest in it. It's worth it now, but meh.. Had they had these prizes from the start, I bet it would have sold out within hours.

Drew
03-19-2012, 05:59 PM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Archigeek
03-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Called it.

SHAFT
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

What exactly is your avatar? The chick is turning me on.

Kithus
03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Out of all the GMs (and that is not too many) I have ever interacted with, GM Izzea showed to be a real champion to his customers. Given how he stepped in to make some items, I bet he had something to do with talking to Solomon to turn this thing around. I'm not sure who the other one is they mentioned.

I'm sure Izzea will both appreciate the pat on the back and smite you for calling her a him.

Androidpk
03-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Glad to see that Simu addressed this issue. What they need to do now is add some more runs, make it a two weekend event.

Latrinsorm
03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
The real question is how long until someone uses the backlash to claim "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

SHAFT
03-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Kinda quiet over here since they upgraded the prizes

How's that boycott coming?

AnticorRifling
03-20-2012, 02:43 PM
If it got them to upgrade the prizes wouldn't that mean it's effective?

RAR
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Assuming everyone who runs gets a prize and no additional runs are added... it's a win for those who were able to purchase a ticket but a slap in the face to those who were responsible for the prize changes (those who complained, refused to buy a ticket initially and/or cancelled accounts) and who are now locked out of the revised event because it is sold out.

DCSL
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
I am satisfied with how this turned out. The things I told feedback would need to be done to keep me as a customer have been done so I will remain a happy, paying customer. I'm pleased that management has taken our input in this case.

Now to start the boycott in favor of them banning Inspire.

Gelston
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM

This isn't the plot thread. Correct yourself.

SHAFT
03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I am satisfied with how this turned out. The things I told feedback would need to be done to keep me as a customer have been done so I will remain a happy, paying customer. I'm pleased that management has taken our input in this case.

No shit, amen to that. If you say anything towards Inspire on the officials they send you a warning.

I've never wanted bodily harm to come to anyone in GS before, but if he were to be hit by a truck while crossing the street I wouldn't shed a tear.

RAR
03-20-2012, 03:11 PM
No shit, amen to that. If you say anything towards Inspire on the officials they send you a warning.

I've never wanted bodily harm to come to anyone in GS before, but if he were to be hit by a truck while crossing the street I wouldn't shed a tear.
Ha ha! That is how I feel about my ex-girlfriend and a bus or car would work just as well.

Mycetozan
03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
My understanding is that the boycott was really to send a message about the poor way Simu runs GS IV and the rude and childish attitudes of their employees.

Now they threw out some new prizes that you might win and everyone is happy? You can be rude condescending and act like a child as long as you give me nice prizes?

If that its the case, it is too bad. There will be no change in attitude or approach and the situation will not improve. They will not realize that they have a problem and not do anything to fix that problem.

Perhaps this was really just about some people wanting some high end items after all.

So has the boycott fizzled?

Tgo01
03-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Not many people have really said much about it one way or the other.

Asha
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm still sticking with my decision since it had nothing to do with the boycott originally :)

AnticorRifling
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Simu is the abusive boyfriend. Customers are the girlfriend that can't walk away "but he's got a good heart he'll change". Simu just punched the customers in the eye, the customers in turn started packing their things. Simu being the smart abusive boyfriend said "Oh baby I didn't mean it, things have just been stressful, here's a puppy I love you" and the customers said "I knew he had a good heart" and they will stay until the next beating and the cycle will continue.

Gelston
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I prefer to think of Simu as a hot, dominatrix. It helps me sleep better at night.

Tgo01
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Simu is the abusive boyfriend. Customers are the girlfriend that can't walk away "but he's got a good heart he'll change". Simu just punched the customers in the eye, the customers in turn started packing their things. Simu being the smart abusive boyfriend said "Oh baby I didn't mean it, things have just been stressful, here's a puppy I love you" and the customers said "I knew he had a good heart" and they will stay until the next beating and the cycle will continue.

Which is why I was trying to convince everyone to continue with the boycott, to help break the cycle of violence but I fear it's too late for most people :(

Atlanteax
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Too late, indeed.

SHAFT
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Even if one person cancels their account for a period of time, that's money out of Simu's pocket. Every bit stings.

Drew
03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Mine is still cancelled. Of course Simu never even bothered to respond to the email I sent them.

DaCapn
03-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I prefer to think of Simu as a hot, dominatrix. It helps me sleep better at night.

Andraste.

Gelston
03-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Andraste.

:bananahit:

Androidpk
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Sticking by my guns and keeping my account cancelled for the month of April. Emailed feedback but have received no response either, not that i am expecting one.

AnticorRifling
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
That right there is a glaring problem. When you no longer expect a response from a department called FEEDBACK because it's standard for complaints to be ignored.

Androidpk
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
This is actually my first time ever emailing feedback, do they usually respond?

WRoss
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Not sure if Sanguine (sp?) is still in charge, but he was pretty good about responding. More than likely, though, it's Mike and Chris who are getting bombarded by hate mail when it should all be going to Sirina with Elonka CCed.

DCSL
03-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I've never before had feedback NOT respond. Admittedly, I've only emailed them three times in the past and it was for more technical problems than anything else. But yeah, both of my emails to feedback have not been answered this time around.

Suppressed Poet
03-21-2012, 04:42 PM

For what it is worth, I emailed feedback only one time. They took like 1-2 weeks to get back to me, but they did address my issue.

Tgo01
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
The only time I emailed feedback was about 10 years ago so I'm sure things have changed (whether for the better or worse I cannot say.) It was an issue with a stolen character so I emailed feedback and after not hearing from them in 3 weeks I contacted the billing department and they handled the situation perfectly within a week.

About 4 months later I received an email from feedback saying "We see the issue has been resolved via billing, we are closing this case."

SHAFT
03-21-2012, 05:18 PM
If you want to reach Simu call them, don't email

Suppressed Poet
03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
The only time I emailed feedback was about 10 years ago so I'm sure things have changed (whether for the better or worse I cannot say.) It was an issue with a stolen character so I emailed feedback and after not hearing from them in 3 weeks I contacted the billing department and they handled the situation perfectly within a week.

About 4 months later I received an email from feedback saying "We see the issue has been resolved via billing, we are closing this case."

Thinking back on it...my experience was similar. I got an email from feedback that the SGMs have already agreed and resolved the issues, and this email was just a paperwork confirmation. It wasn't feedback at all that resolved my issue, but me contacting the right GM in game.

I have no idea who you would call at Simutronics other than billing. Mine was just a yes/no debate and not as complex as "this is what sucks about your company". I doubt Feedback is bound to any response times. I wouldn't expect too much...

Gemstone IV may very well die out anyways once Diablo III drops this year. How many of you are going to cancel (thinking temporary or not) to focus on Diablo? I know I will.

Makkah
03-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Sticking to my plan to cancel until Monks (or something fairly impressive DEV-wise) come out. We'll see how long till that is.

RAR
03-21-2012, 11:52 PM
My understanding is that the boycott was really to send a message about the poor way Simu runs GS IV and the rude and childish attitudes of their employees.

Now they threw out some new prizes that you might win and everyone is happy? You can be rude condescending and act like a child as long as you give me nice prizes?

If that its the case, it is too bad. There will be no change in attitude or approach and the situation will not improve. They will not realize that they have a problem and not do anything to fix that problem.

Perhaps this was really just about some people wanting some high end items after all.

I agree that we still need to send a financial message. I am definitely cancelling one of my premium subscriptions for April and it would probably do me good just to cancel both of my accounts for the month and take a vacation from Simu. I was one of those that complained and refused to purchase a ticket to a watered down event only to be locked out now that the prize structure has been improved and the event has been sold out. I think you are correct about our desire for the nice prizes. Simu is able to use them as a source of power over us and as as long as we have the opportunity to get our hands on something nice for our character in game, Simu can mistreat us all they want. Look what happened when they removed the promise of uber items from this Droughtman's run...they no longer held that power over us and people went bananas (it's like when you are at a merchant... no one says anything negative to the merchant before the spinning... but I've heard a few people make negative remarks to the merchant after the spinning and after those same people didn't get picked). Even after witnessing how Simu mishandled things and mistreated people on the officials, I was still holding out hope that they would add additional runs so that I could get a ticket (shame on me). Also, Simu's "I'm holyer than thou" attitude is nothing new.

The sad thing is that the abusive boyfriend anology is dead on and I'm sure I'll come crawling back regardless of whether things change. When I talk to my friends about Gemstone, I refer to it as a legal, addictive drug that I can't stop using for the life of me. The high I got today from buying a faenor claid (that I really can't afford) makes any mistreatment bearable. And to top it off, many of us are so invested in the game in terms of time and money that Simu could pretty much do anything short of taking away our stuff and we would continue to play and pay.

I say keep the boycott alive and let's hope things improve.

Gompers
03-22-2012, 01:26 AM
http://images8.cafepress.com/product/12369088v54_350x350_Front.jpg

Izalude
03-22-2012, 03:31 AM
I was actually considering taking the plunge back into GS having been away since 2009, but after reading this thread, it's reminded me why I left in the first place.

Gelston
03-22-2012, 03:45 AM
I was actually considering taking the plunge back into GS having been away since 2009, but after reading this thread, it's reminded me why I left in the first place.

Goddamn Izalude, long time no see.

AnticorRifling
03-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm very glad to hear that people are, in fact, getting responses from feedback. Back when I played I never had an issue with response or response time so at least that department still do what it do.

Drew
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Did I miss someone saying they got a response from feedback about this issue?

diethx
03-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Sticking to my plan to cancel until Monks (or something fairly impressive DEV-wise) come out. We'll see how long till that is.

Yay Kreek in GW2?!?!?!

Hey dude welcome back. :)

Latrinsorm
03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
I agree that we still need to send a financial message. I am definitely cancelling one of my premium subscriptions for April and it would probably do me good just to cancel both of my accounts for the month and take a vacation from Simu. I was one of those that complained and refused to purchase a ticket to a watered down event only to be locked out now that the prize structure has been improved and the event has been sold out. I think you are correct about our desire for the nice prizes. Simu is able to use them as a source of power over us and as as long as we have the opportunity to get our hands on something nice for our character in game, Simu can mistreat us all they want. Look what happened when they removed the promise of uber items from this Droughtman's run...they no longer held that power over us and people went bananas (it's like when you are at a merchant... no one says anything negative to the merchant before the spinning... but I've heard a few people make negative remarks to the merchant after the spinning and after those same people didn't get picked). Even after witnessing how Simu mishandled things and mistreated people on the officials, I was still holding out hope that they would add additional runs so that I could get a ticket (shame on me). Also, Simu's "I'm holyer than thou" attitude is nothing new.

The sad thing is that the abusive boyfriend anology is dead on and I'm sure I'll come crawling back regardless of whether things change. When I talk to my friends about Gemstone, I refer to it as a legal, addictive drug that I can't stop using for the life of me. The high I got today from buying a faenor claid (that I really can't afford) makes any mistreatment bearable. And to top it off, many of us are so invested in the game in terms of time and money that Simu could pretty much do anything short of taking away our stuff and we would continue to play and pay.

I say keep the boycott alive and let's hope things improve.It is relatively easy to transfer your addiction to a different online game. They all have their issues, but Gemstone is the only one I've seen so far where the staff actively berates and insults the player base. Plus they're all going "free" now, so you can get a taste for them for nothing but opportunity cost.