PDA

View Full Version : Gemstone people can't take the heat

08-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Okay, okay.. I just offended everyone here with that topic and just insulted myself.

Keep with me though.

Why is it that people in GS seem to whine hardcore the second something bad happens to their characters? They get hit by an e-wave while hunting, you get reported.

You insult them, you get warned (Augie expecially). You kill their characters and you sure as hell are getting a report on you.

You steal and you get warn interactioned. You look at someone the wrong way and they threaten you with a report.

The worse part is most the time these types of actions are provoked on the original party. They talk shit or they go around slapping you. Seriously now, why are most GS people such whiners?

Now, the only other massive multi-player game I play is Starwars. People definatly do NOT bitch. You poach someone's stormtrooper (gay as that sounds) and they just walk away, no big deal. Here, you get reported.

You kill an Imperial guy if you are a rebel without having some sort of "witty debate", then fine. So be it. Here, you are *REQUIRED* to "spar with words" with an enemy group or you are just an bad RP'er and a snert.

What's up with this? Does ANYONE else find something wrong with a large chunk of the GS community and this line of thought?

- Arkans

Drew2
08-14-2003, 06:45 PM
That's basically the sentiments I was trying to express in the 'WARN sucks' thread, you just worded it better.

I agree with everything you said.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 06:46 PM
But there's a fine line between satisfying conflictual RP, and harassment of a player. One is acceptable, the other is not.

There's a lot of characters Maimara hates, and also a lot of players of those characters that Beth likes.

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Vlecles was in the Park and a group of people were ganging up on him about how Dark Elves are a lesser race. He totally should have issued a bunch of warn harassments.

Drew2
08-14-2003, 06:53 PM
I had never made any reference to his player, nor had I gone OOC with him at all, and I got this little gem...

Garr whispers, "your lucky i havent met you in real life...you would fucking be on the ground bleeding like a little bitch"

People rox0r!

Betheny
08-14-2003, 06:53 PM
I think they need to lighten up the Warn Verb.

Something like..

>warn flatulence bobmuhthol
You quietly warn Bobmuhthol that you're quite gassy today, and if he keeps being a jerk, you might just fart on him.

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Did you report him Tayre? :-P

-Adredrin

Drew2
08-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
I think they need to lighten up the Warn Verb.

Something like..

>warn flatulence bobmuhthol
You quietly warn Bobmuhthol that you're quite gassy today, and if he keeps being a jerk, you might just fart on him.

LOL!!
Maimara, move to Icemule. Immediatly.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 06:57 PM
There's nothing there for me to hunt, until I hit the rift. Besides, every time I go to Icemule, people ignore me. It's like one of those clubs that you're just not cool enough to join.

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Icemule is terrible. And you won't be in the Rift for a very long time, youngin.

Drew2
08-14-2003, 06:59 PM
There's nothing there for me to hunt, until I hit the rift. Besides, every time I go to Icemule, people ignore me. It's like one of those clubs that you're just not cool enough to join.

I'll use my VIP pass and let you in, Maimara.

Bob, don't get me started on the Landing. You're just mad because you're not cool enough to join the Icemule Club.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 07:01 PM
You can rift at what, 90? I'm 70. Or will be shortly.

I'm rather embarassed to admit I've only been to Icemule maybe three times, and I've never raised a character there, though I used to hunt Pinefar (for a train).

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 07:01 PM
You can rift at what, 90? I'm 70. Or will be shortly.

I'm rather embarassed to admit I've only been to Icemule maybe three times, and I've never raised a character there, though I used to hunt Pinefar (for a train).

And if Alanamarie is on..you never will, either. :lol:

-Adredrin

Drew2
08-14-2003, 07:02 PM
We have seekers which are like 66. And there's something above them but I forget what. Elementals or something? I don't know. I'm not an old foogie.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 07:05 PM
I hunted the top of the world for a bit, but as a bane cleric, the problem I find is that I can't kill seekers, and the ice elementals just don't generate enough to justify me hunting them (unless there's someone in the area that's hunting, too.)

I do somewhat enjoy beating the crap out of stupid clerics, though. They're a prominent breed, here in the Landing.

Besides, Maimara probably wouldn't do so well there. Her personality and my own tend to differ quite a bit.

Drew2
08-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Well make a character that pwnz like you and you'll be fine in Icemule. We like witty people. (Bob and ben need not apply)

Betheny
08-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Pfff. If I show up there as a younger character I'll get my ass beat down like the rest of you. I prefer to wear my semi-older bodysuit and avoid most of the re-re's.

08-14-2003, 07:26 PM
I'm aware that it is good if conflict is satisifying, but I just hate how we have to act in a totally false way just to "not hurt people's feelings". People need to toughen up a bit and realize that it's just a silly game.

I'm just fed up with the constant bitching. It needs to stop.

- Arkans

Betheny
08-14-2003, 07:32 PM
I hear what you're saying, Arkans. But I'm also one of those people that thinks it's a good thing to have an outlet for the agression you can pick up while playing Gemstone. If I vent... then it doesn't affect my gameplay. But if I don't, it tends to screw me up in game. While none of it really matters, I value my roleplaying integrity.

These boards are a good way of venting my frustrations, so that all of my friends don't start thinking I'm some kind of a freak.

Not that they don't. I guess.

08-14-2003, 08:23 PM
I agree about the venting. That's why I come here and bitch, pretty much.

You'll not catch me major e-waving in town and kill mass numbers of folks just because matters like these upset me.

I just strongly believe the majority of the Gemstone community needs to grow up and be able to shrug things off. Look at all the people getting pissy over the slightest things on the "Tips, Slips, Near Misses" part of the message boards and on the "Thoughts about Roleplaying".

It's pretty damn sad.

- Arkans

Betheny
08-14-2003, 09:02 PM
This is why the official boards suck. I think of it like this: You can usually color between the lines, but if you can't color outside the lines a little bit, you're going to go insane.

On average, it'll take something like 1 - 2 posts to vent your anger on these boards. Try 30 or more on the official boards, since you have to play the happy game.

StrayRogue
08-15-2003, 08:13 AM
HA! Mule is like the Landing, only that its smaller, has no Black net, and the community of vultures is more tightly knit. Believe me Maimara, knowing the kind of hardcore RP you seem to be into (Alla GSS), Mule is NOT the place to get it, unless select members of the Fury is about, or a few others. Other than that, its bitchyness, OOC, childish games etc. If they weren't so blind to the amount of coins I rob from them daily, I'd be miles away.

CrystalTears
08-15-2003, 08:59 AM
After all, 80% of Icemule believed that the halfling was really a kobold. You figure it out. :D

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Parkbandit
08-15-2003, 09:47 AM
It's a balancing act..

You want to quench your thirst for conflict roleplay... while hoping not to 'ruin' their fun. I find myself in that situation quite often.

Knowing when to say "Ok, I think I've bothered this person long enough.. let me move on" is the hard part... at least for me.

Warriorbird
08-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I wish robbing people really had sting, like DR. Then I'd be content to rob anyone who really annoyed me blind.

Betheny
08-15-2003, 04:22 PM
There's only a few members of the Fury I'd trust to roleplay with. I'm still pissed at them for that whole 'hunting me down and trying to kill me and then drag me out towards zul logoth to decay' thing. Apparently that was the plan to get the Dark Alliance supporters out of Ta'Illistim.

I understand there should be, and are, consequences to roleplaying a dark or 'bad' character, but it really pisses me off when people think it's okay to do something really nasty to you, based solely on the religion your character follows.

I don't think it's that I can't take the heat, I think it's that it bothers me a whole lot that I go out of my way to try and convey a conflicted character with many different sides, and people invalidate all of my effort in a situation by simply cutting my head off and then walking away.

If you're going to use a roleplayed reason to create conflict, shouldn't you roleplay with your prey?

Me ranting... I bet it doesn't even make sense.

Drew2
08-15-2003, 07:27 PM
There's only a few members of the Fury I'd trust to roleplay with. I'm still pissed at them for that whole 'hunting me down and trying to kill me and then drag me out towards zul logoth to decay' thing. Apparently that was the plan to get the Dark Alliance supporters out of Ta'Illistim.

I understand there should be, and are, consequences to roleplaying a dark or 'bad' character, but it really pisses me off when people think it's okay to do something really nasty to you, based solely on the religion your character follows.

I don't think it's that I can't take the heat, I think it's that it bothers me a whole lot that I go out of my way to try and convey a conflicted character with many different sides, and people invalidate all of my effort in a situation by simply cutting my head off and then walking away.

If you're going to use a roleplayed reason to create conflict, shouldn't you roleplay with your prey?

Me ranting... I bet it doesn't even make sense.

Methais
08-15-2003, 07:55 PM
<<Here, you are *REQUIRED* to "spar with words" with an enemy group or you are just an bad RP'er and a snert.>>

This is usually due to the stuck up level 15 character starting shit with a level 75 character, then when the 75 guy gets fed up and just blasts them to bits, the 15 character's only retort is "People like you can't fight with words so you have to resort to blowing me up!"

I mean honestly, would you go around causing shit in the first place with someone that you know could kill you by sneezing at you?

Would you walk up to a bouncer at a bar and be like "Hey you fatass piece of shit, I'm gonna go fuck your girlfriend tonight!" and not expect an ass kicking?

Ok maybe it's not the best analogy, but it gets the general point across. I agree with everything Arkans posted.

Artha
08-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Haha, I remember that picture when it was bigger, and better quality, and when it didn't have Fugly.com on it.

Scott
08-15-2003, 07:57 PM
What a shitty car.....

Skirmisher
08-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
After all, 80% of Icemule believed that the halfling was really a kobold. You figure it out. :D

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Come on woman!

Show some discipline.:P

08-15-2003, 10:16 PM
It is an awesome analogy. I would not, under any circumstance, go up to a guy that is 5x my size and talk shit. Here in GS, you are able to do that. Just because people are goddamn bitches and can always run to the "report verb".

Hell, maybe I *CAN* spar with words, but I just don't want to waste the time. Maybe it might be just a LITTLE bit more IC to pound you into the ground.

- Arkans

Back
08-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Why is it that people in GS seem to whine hardcore the second something bad happens to their characters? They get hit by an e-wave while hunting, you get reported.

Sorry if someone said this already as this thread is two pages already, but I suspect it has to to with little Billy running home and crying to Mommy. In other words, the maturity level around Gemstone is pretty low, and I include myself in that generalization.

Remember the kids in elementary-high school who would pester you until you couldn't take it? You would belt them, then they yelled for the teacher and got YOU in trouble? Same mentality.

Bobmuhthol
08-15-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm too cool for school.

Back
08-15-2003, 11:28 PM
You're like school in the summertime...

No class.

[edited for lack on inflection]

[Edited on 8-16-2003 by Backlash]