PDA

View Full Version : Padded Plate Armor

Possuem
03-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Not sure if a post already exists concerning this (didn't find one), but was wondering if anyone might have any advice/information to offer about which type of padding might be best for plate armor...crit or damage.

I believe in part that it is user preference, but am interested in any advice. Thanks

Sam
03-02-2012, 08:46 PM
What's your max health? Do you die more from blood loss or critical blows?

Possuem
03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Health is at 224, and I'm currently in some HCP Hauberk, and don't really die much at all, nor take much damage, but the damage I do take is blood loss, not crits, but am only 32. I'm sure the it'll change when I get into the higher hunting areas.

Sam
03-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Health is at 224, and I'm currently in some HCP Hauberk, and don't really die much at all, nor take much damage, but the damage I do take is blood loss, not crits, but am only 32. I'm sure the it'll change when I get into the higher hunting areas.

Never did with me.. well except for crits that crit padding probably wouldn't help against. (Stone fist, Major E-wave.)

You'll always find times where you may wish you had the other kind of padding, but I think on average, especially if you do warcamps, you'll find that RT lock + plinking is the biggest killer.

Until your DS is absurdly high, I personally think damage padding paired with a crit padded helm is the way to go.

edit: that being said, it's probably going to be easier to find some HCP plate.

Possuem
03-02-2012, 09:35 PM
I already have a decent set of rolaren full plate (ebons-auction a few years back). Have had it max lightened, some enhancives on it, and intend on getting it padded using my premie points, but really had no idea which padding. Thanks for your advice!

Kitsun
03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Considering your level, I'd wait until something is giving you a good and proper reaming before dedicating prem points towards fixing a problem you don't have yet.

Sam
03-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Considering your level, I'd wait until something is giving you a good and proper reaming before dedicating prem points towards fixing a problem you don't have yet.

Yeah, that. Especially if you're not dying much yet. A lot depends on your build and your fighting style. I berserk a ton, and have 125 unenhanced max HP, so damage padding is the obvious choice.

You've got to be willing to die a few (or many) times to see what you need before spending those points.

Gelston
03-02-2012, 11:22 PM
I always preferred flares on my armor.

Roblar
03-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Never did with me.. well except for crits that crit padding probably wouldn't help against. (Stone fist, Major E-wave.)

Does anyone have a list of what spells crit padding does help against? I'm mostly curious about crit padding for that not really melee damage. Maybe some cmans too if it activates for that?

Riltus
03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have a list of what spells crit padding does help against? I'm mostly curious about crit padding for that not really melee damage. Maybe some cmans too if it activates for that?

Q. I believe it was stated that Crit Weighting would affect the outcome of CMan Hamstring . . . does Crit Padding help defend against CMans (e.g. charge, bullrush, etc.)?

A. In general, crit padding will help you with anything that does critical damage. So Charge damage would be mitigated, while the damage from Bull Rush would not.

-M. >>>>

Q. Sorry to make you repeat yourself, Oscuro, but is Crit padding and armor CLASS taken into account? Those weren't mentioned, though I thought the type of armor you are in, and the padding for crit driven maneuvers are taken into account in all physical damage type maneuvers.

A. I posted factors in avoiding the maneuver, not reducing crits or damage. Those do factor in the damage/crit portion of the attack, as they do for nearly all instances of receiving damage/crits from physical sources. Substantially few things are non-standard in that regard.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Mark

DaCapn
03-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Is it safe to say that "anything that does critical damage" will give messaging that's on a critical table and anything that does not will not?

Valyss
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
What are people finding successful in the capped hunting areas? I've saved up enough silver to put padding on my 8x plate and am torn between damage and critical weighting. Right now, the bowels are making me wish for critical padding. Warcamps and the low parts of OTF always made me want damage padding.

What's the wisdom for Nelemar and OTF? I'm a half elf with combat toughness giving me 195 HP (although I could probably drop toughness with damage padding)

Archigeek
03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
There are also some exceptions. Notably some spells bypass crit padding all-together. Which sucks ass and is dumb.