PDA

View Full Version : Caught Swindling...

Stunseed
06-15-2004, 02:26 AM
If you caught someone raising the price of an item you wanted, then having them admit to you it's a scam because they were forced to buy it......What's the correct course of action?

Izalude
06-15-2004, 02:28 AM
That all depends on how far you want to go with this... First of all, you should never buy from them again. You could also go as far as letting everyone on the black net know about their scam, whenever you see that person trying to sell something...

Just curious though, who was it and what were they scamming?

Stunseed
06-15-2004, 02:31 AM
A "friend" raising the price of weaponry for his buddy. The seller I don't think had any knowledge of it, but I do know they hunt in the same area of the Rift. As much bad press this person has, it'll a minor snowflake on top of the mountain that avalanches.

HarmNone
06-15-2004, 02:34 AM
If the seller had no knowledge of it, it wasn't really a swindle. However, what you could do is ASSIST and tell a GameHost what happened. Since you weren't taken, there's no real reason to REPORT, but if this person has been guilty of this kind of thing before, the GMs may be watching for information of continued abuse. The GameHost could see if they're interested in knowing about it.

HarmNone

theotherjohn
06-15-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
If the seller had no knowledge of it, it wasn't really a swindle. However, what you could do is ASSIST and tell a GameHost what happened. Since you weren't taken, there's no real reason to REPORT, but if this person has been guilty of this kind of thing before, the GMs may be watching for information of continued abuse. The GameHost could see if they're interested in knowing about it.

HarmNone

I agree be sure to assist and report about how the person is roleplaying a great evil merhcant because there is no other reason to

Parkbandit
06-15-2004, 07:54 AM
First of all.. I think it should remain an in character type of retribution. Assisting over something like that.. since no mechanic abuse was involved, is pointless.

Second of all.. I would let people simply know who this merchant is. The biggest way to hurt a merchant is to let the public know he is dishonest.

Xcalibur
06-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Never bide against private bidder.

I made a few million that way, but still...:grin:

Gan
06-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Wait until you see them doing it on the net again then bust them publically. Of course they'll deny it; however, even the slightest hint of price gouging will run off most honest bidders and leave them holding the merchandise with a tainted reputation for dishonest merchanting.

I know of several who do that, one uses his girlfriend to jack up the prices on his wares. Its disappointing but a reality in Gemstone. Guess thats why I try to spend as little time as possible in the landing. Same goes with mystery items, if its not good enough to advertise then give the stuff away.

Xcalibur
06-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Once a guy screwed it up and asked his friend if he wanted him to raise the price of an earth elemental something stuff.

It was around 1,2m at that time.

The guy got so yelled at, he begun his auction again and I had it for 400k.

Moral of the story: If you want to be a bad, be a good bad guy.

Wezas
06-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Another sign that there's a fake bidder is when you finally bow out of the auction, the seller will say "Oh, the other bidder signed off, do you still want it at your last bid price?"

That's when you tell them to go fuck themselves in a totally IC way. :bleh:

Edaarin
06-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Heh. I know way too many people like that. Victorae's one of the more well known scammers, but thankfully he hasn't been around much. Gzinta, Khenan, a few others. None of which are well received or regarded as good merchants.

Do us all a favor and post his name :whistle: I have an inkling of who it is, but would be nice to be sure.

MrFeature
06-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Thats call bid shilling, and you can kill em for it.

Galleazzo
06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Yeah. It's done in game, deal in game. Spill the person's name, spill his rep over the net, spill his insides over the street.

:devilsmile: