PDA

View Full Version : 23-28 hunting advice

Tuxedo Gin
01-11-2012, 03:03 PM
I have a wizard who originally started out as my pocket wizard, but I've found I love playing him.

He is currently 21. I started on large ogres at around 11, did them until 15 or 16 and have been doing arch wights in Icemule until now. Large ogres and the Icemule arch wights are exceptionally vulnerable to bolting. I was killing the wights in 1 shot about 50% of the time when I was 16, and 90% of the time at 20.

What's next? I can't seem to find out where to go from here. I know that Icemule is great for the 30's, but how do I get there? I've tried zombies but they don't crit easily, and I end up using all my mana to kill 3-4 of them. What is in the mid to late 20's that falls easily to bolts? Or do I just need to suck it up for now and invest time into charging up wands to keep me in the fight for longer?

I'd prefer Icemule, Landing, or Solhaven as it is still a semi-pocket wizard so he needs to be close by for spell ups.

AnticorRifling
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Spider temple? Is spawn there good enough? I seem to remember being in that temple for a few levels.

I'm going to be little to no help here since the only thing I ever even tried to bolt hunt was wights.

Gompers
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Have you tried fenghai in foggy valley, solhaven? Perfect for a wizard as your bolt ds should make you pretty much untouchable to a lot of what they cast. they are 23 and should keep you goin for a bit. After, there are a lot of ice trolls and skeletal ice giants once you hit the mid to upper 20's

Bhaalizmo
01-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Zul Lugoth is the ish for 20-35 if you can handle the solitude.

DaCapn
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
In Icemule, I just uphunted arctic manticores for like 5 levels. That west gate area is pretty good.

You could also go GoS (as it is awesome for wizards) and just warcamp (as it is awesome for wizards).

Asha
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
23+ go for Vaalor. It's pretty much made for those levels.
When you hit 27 ish, go for three-toed tegu's - scaly burgees - trolls and hawk-owls near Illistim.

Sygil81
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I would say icemule, skeletal ice trolls in the trench outside the west gate. They are level 32, made of troll so they love fire, wear crappy armor and have a bolt DS of under 50.... Just roll some major fire through there, was pretty easy. As a battle mage, that was the only time i've ever strictly bolt hunted so far.

Heck, Even my sister can bolt those with no spell aiming using fire spirit (111).

Quick log (note that fire flares may be inflated due to my level vs. them. No MOC, only 1 cast.):

>
A piercing screech shatters the cold air as a skeletal ice troll clatters out of the ground!
A piercing screech shatters the cold air as a skeletal ice troll clatters out of the ground!
>
A cold guardian just floated in.
>tar tro
You are now targeting a skeletal ice troll.
>
The troll moans evilly!
A skeletal ice troll swings an enruned ice-covered battle axe at you!
You easily parry the attack with your vultite naginata!
>
AS: +205 vs DS: +309 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +82 = +16
A clean miss.
>
At the last moment, you parry the blow with your naginata!
>.c mfi
[Script c is running, Esc to cancel, Shift-Esc to pause]
>stance off
>inc 908
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Major Fire...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a skeletal ice troll.
You hurl a roaring ball of fire at a skeletal ice troll!
AS: +171 vs DS: +47 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +65 = +222
... and hit for 48 points of damage!
Nasty burns to right leg. Gonna need lots of butter.
The ice troll is knocked to the ground!
The ice troll grimaces as the flames boil its skin making it writhe in pain!
... 60 points of damage!
Left hand burned off. Only a stump remains.
The ice troll screams with delight while clutching at its mangled left hand.

The roaring ball of fire strikes a skeletal ice troll, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 50 points of damage!
The ice troll screeches loudly as the fire scorches its skin!
... 70 points of damage!
[You have earned 1 prestige point.]
The ice troll screams evilly one last time and goes still.

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits a cold guardian.
... 50 points of damage!
The cold guardian is stunned!

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits a skeletal ice troll.
... 30 points of damage!
Nasty burns to left arm. Gonna need lots of butter.
The ice troll howls in agony as the flames dance over its body!
... 60 points of damage!
Left arm incinerated. Unfortunate.
The ice troll screams with delight while clutching at its mangled left arm.

>stance def
[script done]
A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits a skeletal ice troll.
... 35 points of damage!
The ice troll howls in agony as the flames dance over its body!
... 70 points of damage!
Fire completely surrounds a skeletal ice troll. Blood boils and heart stops.
[You have earned 1 prestige point.]
The ice troll falls to the ground motionless.

Tuxedo Gin
01-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Exactly what I was looking for. Crap armor and double digit bolt DS. As long as I dodge the frost giants and cold guardians, the trolls are very easy and should get me through the next couple levels.

Thanks!

vamosj
01-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Just stay in the trench and you'll only find the occasional giant and guardian. Just be very careful not to rush around in there as you can slip and fall. if you do find yourself on the ground with a troll in the area it can be a very bad day as they have a special "grasp" that'll start tearing you to shreds when prone.

Halfling Guts
01-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Tuxedo -

I'm no expert, but I did pretty well with lich's and monks in that monastery in the Landing.

Both are pretty easy to kill. I used 505 as an opener on lich's.

95% of the time I was the only one hunting there.

Treasure seemed pretty decent compared to anything else I had hunted.

Now I moved onto pookas. I don't know if this is the next best thing, but I plan on posting a few questions shortly that hopefully others can help me with.

Maadar
01-19-2012, 11:45 PM
how much swimming do you need to get to lich's? I only have six ranks and I can't make it.

Halfling Guts
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I probably had 8 ranks when I swam through. I don't always make it through though. It's best to set a few rings when you get in.

Maadar
01-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Ok, thanks