PDA

View Full Version : Rescues.

Betheny
08-13-2003, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm a little pissed off at the moment.

If I go out of my way to rescue someone, and I fog in, and some stupid ass node-vulture cleric waits until I'm on my knees and puking my guts out to take the body I went and got, I'm going to be a little pissed off.

I'm a little angry at the lack of smarts that players of clerics show, when they simply start linking and raising without even asking.

I'm going to start binding people. I swear. I need to catch up in my major spirit ranks. Grrrrrr.:mad::mad:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And by the way. Your sylvan cleric is not superior. Your sylvan cleric sucks. Especially if you name her after something fairly popular in rap and R&B songs. If you read this, you know who you are, and I hope you learn a lesson. Because crossing other clerics isn't something you want to do.

AnticorRifling
08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
You want I should break some knee-caps?

Edaarin
08-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Get your super mighty Legend Boom Boom dad to break them for you.

Parkbandit
08-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Get your super mighty Legend Boom Boom dad to break them for you.

His real father is dead... I had him killed.

I am now his daddy. Don't mess with my Super kid Anticor.. or else.

Warriorbird
08-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Yet, in turn, I imagine you annoy the folks who think that only Voln members rescue. They may've announced on the Voln net. I think rescuing in general just leads to pissed off rescuers.

godShell
08-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Common sense and decency dictates that if a cleric is with a body that you let that cleric handle it. You may put out a (voln) thought, but if another cleric reaches the body before you, the matter has already been handled and you are not a factor in it. Having played clerics I know that having your corpse taken is offensive, and taking a corpse from another cleric feels worse than pickpocketing. You can kill a pickpocket, why not a vulture, hm?

Artha
08-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Ask the corpse to unlink.

Trinitis
08-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
I'm sorry, but I'm a little pissed off at the moment.

If I go out of my way to rescue someone, and I fog in, and some stupid ass node-vulture cleric waits until I'm on my knees and puking my guts out to take the body I went and got, I'm going to be a little pissed off.

I'm a little angry at the lack of smarts that players of clerics show, when they simply start linking and raising without even asking.

I'm going to start binding people. I swear. I need to catch up in my major spirit ranks. Grrrrrr.:mad::mad:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And by the way. Your sylvan cleric is not superior. Your sylvan cleric sucks. Especially if you name her after something fairly popular in rap and R&B songs. If you read this, you know who you are, and I hope you learn a lesson. Because crossing other clerics isn't something you want to do.

Oh? Alanamarie raisin again? :lol:

-Adredrin

CrystalTears
08-14-2003, 12:27 AM
The cleric was there first and you're upset because you fogged there? The only fault I see is perhaps that the cleric didn't offer to take you back with them. Other than that, just sounds like another case of "I called it on the net so it's automatically mine regardless of who listens on the net because it's all about me not the corpse."

Taernath
08-14-2003, 12:32 AM
No.. she fogged in to town, and while in fog sickness the body was taken by another cleric.

Trinitis
08-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
The cleric was there first and you're upset because you fogged there? The only fault I see is perhaps that the cleric didn't offer to take you back with them. Other than that, just sounds like another case of "I called it on the net so it's automatically mine regardless of who listens on the net because it's all about me not the corpse."

Think you got it backwards Crystal, they fogged IN, not out..you don't puke on the fog outs ;)

-Adredrin

CrystalTears
08-14-2003, 12:38 AM
Bah, nevermind then. I apologize. I just grow tired of people complaining about going to get a corpse and someone else taking it and making a drama out of it. Sowwy! :D

On that note, this is why I'm not a cleric.. or play a healer anymore for that matter. The competition is fierce.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 05:21 AM
No. I went and retrieved a dead friend. I used 130 to come back. Someone drags the corpse out while I'm in my 90-second RT.

If someone else is already there, I have NO problem with fogging for them so they can get down to business. I might be a bitch, but I have very specific ideas on how a cleric should act.

As for calling rescues, I usually do, but on the white net, which no one even listens to anymore, it seems. Voln doesn't hold the monopoly on rescues.

Most of the people I end up rescuing are in the Stronghold (Edaarin... Nektarius). I tend to do rescues there, because I A. Have a ring set, and can get there fast, and B. Tend to know who hunts there. Most clerics don't go out there. But in the wee hours of the morning, when I'm weighted down or too lazy to hunt safely, I'll do rescues of strangers. I always adhere to my somewhat strict code of clerical conduct.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 05:24 AM
Killing other clerics is a very bad idea. I don't like fines, and I reportedly already have a bad reputation for (allegedly) casting at people who didn't 'deserve' it. I was told I'm a Kadesha.

Personally I don't think it's true, but I don't watch Maimara in situations -- I AM Maimara. That whole perception thing can really skew one's perception.

Edited to add: I did kill Peam for absolutely no reason once, on the coastal cliffs.

Sorry. The explanation, if even needed, is I recognized the name and for some reason identified it with 'destroy'. Maybe it was a bad day.

[Edited on 8-14-2003 by Maimara]

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 05:31 AM
Peam deserved it, don't worry.

...maybe you killed him because he's going to have a better party than you on the same day.

[Edited on 8-14-2003 by Bobmuhthol]

Betheny
08-14-2003, 05:36 AM
No... no no no. My party will be superior, because there will be drunk chicks with lesbian tendencies.

Do you have drunk chicks with lesbian tendencies? I think not.

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 05:38 AM
Mad alcoholz > Your life.
Being drunk with guys > Being drunk and forgetting the drunk lesbians.
Peam > You.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 05:40 AM
Eh. I'm going to take the generally accepted public response to this one.

My character could kick your character's ass in Gemstone!!!!!!!!!!!

<sarcasm.>

Bobmuhthol
08-14-2003, 05:42 AM
My level 18, 6 tackle rank warrior will beat your ass down mercilessly.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 05:48 AM
>You gesture at an Illoke mystic.
A sickly, violet haze encompasses an Illoke mystic.
CS: +326 - TD: +234 + CvA: +25 + d100: +25 == +142
Warding failed!
A triad of ebony orbs cojoined by crackling ribbons of violet energy suddenly appear out of nowhere. The pulsating orbs take up a position directly in front of the Illoke mystic, and slowly begin to move apart, stopping when they form a triangular shape of equal height to the creature. Encasing the mystic within this framework, the triangle begins to rotate with tremendous speed, binding the mystic with a cocoon of energy ribbons. A blur of violet and black obscures an Illoke mystic from view and as mysteriously as the orbs appeared, they fade away. All that remains of the mystic is a charred ashen figure of its former self lying upon the floor.
The silvery luminescence fades from around an Illoke mystic.
The air about an Illoke mystic stops shimmering.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around an Illoke mystic.
The mystic regains his sight and focus.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Oh, Bob, if only you were a mystic.

GemstoneFan
08-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Snap! heh heh

peam
08-14-2003, 12:43 PM
I remember that.

"Move. I'm about to throw down."

Zing.

Betheny
08-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah, and then you decayed. I felt HORRIBLE.

I even gave you a fighting chance at killing me in the park!

peam
08-14-2003, 11:07 PM
I took my best shot.

I decayed on purpose. No worries.

Uh, rescues.. yeah.

Adhara
08-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Don't suppose you'd make the name of said cleric public Maimara? I keep my own clerical black list and while I won't blacklist anyone until I witness them doing something like that, it would be nice to get a heads up.

Red Devil
08-16-2003, 01:39 AM
it's alanamarie i think

Betheny
08-16-2003, 02:48 AM
Nah, it was Crystalia.

Adhara
08-16-2003, 05:43 AM
Thanks!

Edaarin
08-16-2003, 01:01 PM
You're so mean Adhara!

Betheny
08-16-2003, 01:41 PM
When someone comes to rescue you, what do you prefer they do?

I always, ALWAYS make it my point to lifekeep the person. Then I'll ask if they want help. And when I get them to town, I'll ask them if they want me to tend them and raise them... or if they want to go to TSC, etc. Basically I try to let them direct my actions.

Playing a cleric of Lornon, I also make it a point to ask every person, every time if they want me to raise them. I never assume. (Except in a few special cases where people have asked me to just assume.) I can't tell you how many times people have consented, and then been angry because a cleric of Mularos raised them. I like being able to fall back on the "I ASKED you and you consented."

CrystalTears
08-16-2003, 01:59 PM
People are so touchy with their characters sometimes that it makes me laugh. The fact that they had to implement a demeanor verb because people wanted their space and wanted a mechanic to do their roleplaying for them is just funny. (Yeah criticize me all you want for that statement, I still think it's a stupid mechanic, right along with warn, report, and assist). People would rather wait for another cleric or rot than to have someone they don't want or like raise them. Man, talk about no thankfulness for getting help at all.

Sometimes I just feel that you should link them first and then there they can decide if they don't want to get raised by unlinking. Seriously, if I'm dying or bleeding to death, whether in the game or real life, I don't give a damn who helps me, as long as they help me. To say on my deathbed "not this doctor, he smells" is just arrogant and pretty silly when you think about.

Yes yes, people have priviledges and rights. I, however, am of the opinion that dead people should have no rights. Heck I don't even like them talking. They should be able to perhaps whisper and that's the extent of it. Dead people do way too much whining and bitching for being corpses with no life.

StrayRogue
08-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Demeanor has it's uses. It stops vulture empaths and clerics, stops stupid halflings from hugging you etc. Warn, however, is the gayest verb ever, kthx.

CrystalTears
08-16-2003, 02:26 PM
See again, vulture empaths and clerics. Do you know who gave empaths and clerics the vulture add-on? No not the people they healed or raised, but rather other empaths and clerics. And it was never about helping the person, it was about their own benefits, their own learning and their own experience.

Perhaps they should revamp empaths and clerics so that can hunt to learn and don't gain any experience for healing/raising. Then we'll see who do it honestly for the good of the person and not themselves.

Seriously, I'd like to know what is the big deal that anyone heals you? That you get healed the second you walk into an empath haven? That someone fog and raise you without question? I sincerely would like to know why someone has a problem with that. Why it has to be specific people to do this. You're getting healed and raised, what is the malfunction?

[Edited on 8/16/2003 by CrystalTears]

StrayRogue
08-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Well, as there have been threads recently, scripting healers and rezzers, vultures and people who just power-heal, I personally, do not like. I can deal with it in the landing, as I expect OOC behaviour in the landing, but in mule, alot of the better healers tend to nod to you before they heal. Some just jump on you. Its definately a personal preferance thing.

Adhara
08-16-2003, 03:04 PM
I've seen some clerics get into a lot of trouble for raising before asking for the dead's permission. It has never happened to me but I learned from other people's mistakes. I rarely fog/raise strangers anyway but sometimes if I am bored or when I see multiple help requests on either net, I'll go.

I lifekeep the corpse and fog them back to town. Then I ask for explicit consent before I resurrect. Ironically, this has led to some nasty comments from the dead, believe it or not. I got some remarks like "well, someone is gonna have to!" or "I don't see any other cleric here" stuff like that. I smile and nod because while I do get the occasional nasty remark, most people are thankful for me asking first. Only with explicit consent do I link with the dead.

On the matter of the vultures, I think that all patients, whether they require only healing or healing and resurrection both, should be asked first. When I die, I will give permission to the first cleric who got to me to resurrect me and that even if I had cleric friends on the way. However, if the first cleric that shows up happens to be on my cleric black list (mostly composed of incompetents who have failed a resurrection before my eyes or have performed some other equally unethical/unprofessional action) I want to reserve the right to decline that person's assistance.

Same thing when I need an empath. There is *nothing* I find more infuriating than walking into a room and getting healed instantly, without a word. Let's assume they do it "for your own well being" (yeah right! those that do care about you ask first but anyway), good intentions are never a guarantee that the outcome of your actions will be positive. Take that blind woman I met at Nalea's during the artisan's faire. She roleplays a blind character and therefore has a blinded left and right eye. What if her background story warrants that her eyes cannot be healed? She walks into a room and boom, she sees again, healed by a novice. Bye bye roleplay... Thankfully we have the demeanor verb now to offer some kind of protection against this type of predators. This is just an example and I could find many more to support why I think permission should be asked. Of course, one should not go to extremes. As my empath, if I am walking around the wilds and stumble upon someone that is lying down, bleeding to death and unresponsive, I will not stand there tapping my foot and asking repeatedly if he/she wants healing. I will drag them to safety if possible and heal them but, of course, we're speaking in general terms here.

There was a time, some years ago, when I did not take all these measures. But the world changes and in an Elanthia where verbs like warn are used so lightly, I choose to take precautions.

[Edited on 8-16-2003 by Adhara]

GS4Gurl
08-16-2003, 04:20 PM
I find it refreshing when empaths or clerics ask me permission before touching me. I dont care who raises me or heals me as long as they do it before I decay. The only problem I've had is when like sitting in the park with wounds and all of a sudden some person starts touching me and healing me... If Im not bleeding keep your hands off! I just like for people to be polite and ask first if I'm not in town center. Now if I am in town center with wounds then yeah heal me without me asking cus thats obviously what I am there for and am expecting to be touched. And the other problem I have is when another cleric is tending me and is getting ready to raise me another cleric comes in and tries to take me. As a corpse I think this is rude too and dont like to see clerics being corpse thieves. I like the first person to do it because I like to tip them nicely. I dont want to have to tip two clerics especially if one is just a vulture-corpse-stealer. If a clearic steals me I will speak up and say.. No soandso came all that way to raise me take me back to them please.

StrayRogue
08-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Nice to see I am not the only one with the above "vulturing" sentiments.

Artha
08-16-2003, 05:50 PM
It is impossible for a cleric to raise you without your consent. When they link to you, you have 15-16 seconds to type in UNLINK. Just for future reference.

[Edited on 8-16-2003 by Artha]

StrayRogue
08-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Ah nice. Thanks for the info Artha.

Adhara
08-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Correct Artha, they can unlink. However, few patients know that. I think it's nicer to just ask rather than hope the patient knows the unlink trick or even worse, go up to him and say "ok I'm gonna try to raise you now. Unlink if you don't like it."

Soulpieced
08-17-2003, 07:53 PM
I, unlike most people, really don't give a damn who heals or raises me. If I'm hurt or dead, I want to be put back into shape as quickly as possible. That is just my preference, but I really couldn't give a damn if a vulture gets all of my wounds before I notice I went into a different room.

Weedmage Princess
08-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Ditto Soulpieced.

Betheny
08-17-2003, 09:00 PM
Adhara, it seems you and I subscribe to a lot of the same theories when it comes to clericing and empaths and whatknot.

You rock. Just thought I'd say that.

I get a lot of shit for being such a stickler about permission, but it seems right to me.

Betheny
08-17-2003, 09:02 PM
And by the way. I've done the unlink thing before. In days past, when linking first came about, people would get seriously upset if you unlink. Why? Because you used to have to wait for the 'weakness' to leave you before you could link again. So they felt like they put forth the effort and got cheated.

Not so, now. I believe that wait time is gone.

Adhara
08-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Was wondering about that. I also heard there was a wait time. Didn't know if it was the wol refresh or a separate penalty.

I have mixed feelings about the removal of such a penalty. I guess it's a double edged sword. The merciless righteous cleric in me shouts, "punish the bastards who link without permission" but the nice sweet girl whispers, "players who want to be asses are going to abuse it and unlink left and right to piss off the clerics."

Oh well. It's not up to me and I'll just go on as I have so far, penalty or not.

Drew2
08-17-2003, 10:04 PM
For the record, blinded eyes are a scar, not an injury. Missing is an injury.

Adhara
08-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Oops you're right but you know what point I was trying to make right? If someone wants to keep a minor wound somewhere... I remember another character like that from some years ago. Forget the name and the story but anyway! Point is, it's rude to heal without asking and that's that.

Delyorik
08-19-2003, 04:54 AM
My two silvers' worth:

I'm not a mound of experience...I'm a dead person (although Dely never admits to being dead, mind you)...and I want to be treated like a person, as well. I can guarantee that with me or any of my other PCs, if you blind-link to me, you'll find yourself trying to raise with no link, and stunning yourself in the process.

I've never had to do that with Dely, but I've done it with numerous other PCs of mine. I'll openly state that I want to be spoken to, and then watch in awe as my statements go largely ignored. Icing on the cake is when the dumb clerics try linking AGAIN after having been unlinked and stunned once. Pretty funny stuff.

Artha
08-19-2003, 08:01 AM
If someone wants to keep a minor wound somewhere... I remember another character like that from some years ago.

That was Bleeds, I believe. He was before my time, so I don't know the story.

Betheny
08-19-2003, 04:26 PM
I used to have a minor wound that Maimara got from some thing with Eryael, and some damn vulture ripped it off me not one day after I got it.

I think the point is, that people are still people even if they're dead. If clerics were meant to treat dead people like freshly ground sausage, then the dead wouldn't have the ability to comunnicate. Or unlink.