PDA

View Full Version : A WI Question

Divinity
12-11-2011, 11:24 AM
After speaking to a GH today, I am asking for clarification and your opinions on an issue I've been having.

Character B has been causing OOC and IG drama. Character B enjoys playing drunk (fine, whatever) and can't seem to separate between OOC and IG interaction. At some point, I get impatient with Character B and WI. Fast forward about a week and Character B is trying to get a rise out of me by interacting. I do the obligatory REPORT/ASSIST.

Enters GH the day after and I tell him what is going on. He then suggests to me that I shouldn't heal in the room that Character B decides to frequent because she is there a lot of the time. I'm kinda dumbfounded by this suggestion because I'm not there to interact with Character B but to heal the other characters that frequent this room. So, of course I ask-- Since my empath frequents the dais and tsc on a regular basis, Character B is then not allowed to come into those rooms? I didn't get a response to that only the repeated, since Character B is always there then I shouldn't be there too.

Does anyone else find that notion ridiculous? It seems like faulty logic.

Let me end this by saying I understand how the WI works. I've read it. Some GMs and GHs take difference stances on it. As it was explained to me, in the recent past anyway, is that you pretend the person doesn't exist IG. That doesn't say you can't occupy the same space. I know that as soon as you use it, you are told to leave the room as to not allow the interaction continue until you speak to a GM/GH unless the GM tells you to stay so they can see wtf is going on.

Aylien
12-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I think this would actually be a good question to ask on the officials.

Kitsun
12-11-2011, 11:42 AM
You can't use it like a restraining order and block them from going to places. You need to be willing to take the effort to step away from them. After that point, if they come after you, then they will be in trouble.

Asha
12-11-2011, 11:45 AM
What Kitsun said. Also, it's not hard to just completely ignore them as though they are not even there. That's when they get tired of it and move on to someone else who'll report, then SIMU will do something as numbers mean oh so much to them.

Merala
12-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Back in the GSIII days, there were a couple people I highlighted black and checked the "Highlight Entire Line" box, and that made me happy. Then I learned about squelch, and I was even happier!

Gelston
12-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I've heard GMs talk on the subject. They have said it does not force anyone to leave or go anywhere, just no interaction with eachother, which includes talking about that person openly to another person.

Warn interact is pretty gay though. Not an RP tool at all and you can easily just ignore them without it anyways... Just don't interact with them

Aylien
12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I never could get squelch to NOT kill everything else in the room too.

Divinity
12-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I thought I stated it but I guess I didn't. I do completely ignore this person and pretend they don't exist even if they are in the room. The question I was asking was about both sharing the same room even under a WI.

I don't visit the officials. I just put in for a GM referral. Might as well go to the source.

Gelston
12-11-2011, 01:42 PM
No, you cannot make someone leave the room with warn interact, and the GM will tell you exactly that. If you don't want to be around that person, you don't go where that person is.

Senglent
12-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Like the OP said squelch them
1) go to highlights
2) click on ignore
3) enter their name
4) ???
5) PROFIT!

MotleyCrew
12-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Does anyone else want to know who Character B is?

4a6c1
12-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Yes. No. I'm torn. On one hand I'm thinking "should I study for my final and make an A in my Class for the purpose of impressing all future scholarship boards to which I will likely prostrate myself?"

And on the other hand I'm like, "I really want to stick my nose in this and pull out my super secret spy software so I can troll some vaguely vague online people person text concepts."

I really need another A. :[

Fallen
12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Anyone else wish the ignore verb would block out all actions from another character for a set amount of time? Basically, it would kick back any targeted, non-mechanics based verb as "Soandso ignores your attempts to gain his/her attention." squelches those attempts to the room, and doesn't show it to the person ignoring you. Sure, you could do ACTS and SMILEs, but those would be ignored/squelched too for the person. Only casts/attacks/etc would not be ignored, and that is obviously a violation of policy.

Yes, you can squelch the person, but i'm told that can play havoc with the room in terms of ALSO here and what not. Also, it would be a good way of handling these issues ICly while still defusing a situation.

Merala
12-13-2011, 09:51 AM
That's actually a really good idea.

Gibreficul
12-31-2011, 07:51 PM
DownstreamHooks are better.

ignore_them = ['Gibreficul', 'Baswab']
action = proc{|server_string|
line = server_string
ignore_them.each{|jerk|
line.gsub("#{jerk}", "")
}
line
}
if script.vars[1]
DownstreamHook.add('ignore_jerks', action)
DownstreamHook.remove('ignore_jerks')
else
DownstreamHook.add('ignore_jerks', action)
end

That's untested, but should work.