PDA

View Full Version : island vacation suggestions

loxe
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
I am looking for suggestions for where to go for an island vacation with my girlfriend. We are both laid back, enjoy rum, want to be able to snorkel, swim, and lounge on the beach. We hate crowds.

last year we went to Jamaica, and absolutely loved it there. This year i was thinking id like something in the south pacific, Fiji maybe? ohh and no cruises.

any help will be appreciated. thanks

John.

WRoss
11-29-2011, 11:27 AM
If you can afford it, the Maldaves. If you want to stick around the Caribbean, then Aruba and Trinidad are great.

Wyrmx
11-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Turks and Caicos (haven't been in a while and i hear its more commercial now but worth looking into) - beautiful beaches and great diving/snorkeling

Bonaire - Same great weather as Aruba without the crowds. Beaches, diving and snorkeling are great.

Stanley Burrell
11-29-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.komonews.com/home/video/131070058.html

Gravebane525
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I went on a cruise a few years ago. if you don;t mind lizards St Thomas could be perfect for you. even though the cruise ships stop there the beach on the other side of the island was deserted if you don't count the iguana's. it is a cruize stop so there are a good bit of excursions if you want to pay for em... snorkleing, some underwater scooter, sub rides. most of the people from the ships either do those or go shopping at the outdoor mall like thing they got.

nice little mountain stickin up out of the water. I'ma end up livin there one day.

Archigeek
11-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Don't overlook Hawaii. Very laid back and plenty of beaches, and reasonably inexpensive.

Also, I spent a few days SCUBA diving the Great Barrier Reef off The Santa Maria, sailing out of Cairns. It's a 65' sail boat that sleeps 10. Awesome diving, and a fairly active vacation without a lot of lounging while you're on the boat. You can get your lounging quotient by spending a few days at a B&B in Cairns, then 3 days on the boat, then back to the B&B. That is more of an active vacation though all around.

4a6c1
11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
My near favorite is St. Lucia. My far favorite is Luzon. Both are relatively inexpensive for a camper, easy to maneuver and have quiet beaches.

Carl Spackler
11-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Anguilla is pretty sweet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguilla

Warriorbird
11-29-2011, 08:47 PM
St. Johns > St. Thomas.

I <3 Turks & Caicos though.

I like Tortola/BVI too.

msconstrew
11-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Turks and Caicos (haven't been in a while and i hear its more commercial now but worth looking into) - beautiful beaches and great diving/snorkeling

Bonaire - Same great weather as Aruba without the crowds. Beaches, diving and snorkeling are great.

Agreed. I have been to both islands within the last year and they're both quiet, laid back, and afford a lot of rum-drinking opportunities.

The USVI are also very nice.

DoctorUnne
11-30-2011, 08:24 AM
whitsunday islands in australia.

Fallen
11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
So....http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/30/travel/kauai-experiences-lp/index.html?hpt=hp_c2