PDA

View Full Version : a strange possibly viable training path?

Celexei
06-09-2004, 03:09 AM
Well, been talking to a friend thats got a rogue and wants to work with alot of Voln Fu, and doesn't really wanna average ordinary plan, so i did some quick thinking and decided it'd be kinda fun, to see a rogue with TWC and Brawling as the primary, as well as MOC, and stalking and hiding, with ambushing on top..he said he has no desire to pick boxes is this even a viable option? i know it would be Uber fast, but is it a possibility?

TheEschaton
06-09-2004, 03:28 AM
I've heard of quite a few who do the same plan, except with OHE (using short swords, daggers). Heard of one or two with brawling.....but then again, you might as well wait for monks, since that's supposedly what they're gonna be (TWC brawling types).

-TheE-

Celexei
06-09-2004, 03:33 AM
well i was told it'd be kinda nice to go with 2x brawling and 2x OHE for Katars, but i'm not to sure, i just was tryin to give him some interesting fun options to play with

fallenSaint
06-09-2004, 10:11 AM
If anyone has this plan worked out a bit more Id love to hear some info, because I as well was trying to work into a TWC edged + brawling or TWC edged + MOC into my Rogues training path.

Axhinde
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
My rogue uses this plan, but without MOC...the points just aren't there to seriously have any use for MOC. But it is still by far my funnest character to play. And if you get a weighted weapon for your off-hand weapon, it's lovely.

Here he is at 27

Two Weapon Combat..................| 156 56
Armor Use..........................| 142 42
Combat Maneuvers...................| 156 56
Brawling...........................| 156 56
Ambush.............................| 156 56
Physical Fitness...................| 114 28
Dodging............................| 156 56
Magic Item Use.....................| 50 10
Harness Power......................| 20 4
Stalking and Hiding................| 156 56
Perception.........................| 114 28
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 70 15

Edit: The 4 ranks of Harness Power is because he is CoL, and MIU is just a personal choice.

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by Axhinde]

Xcalibur
06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
How do you kill most of the time a monster:

Attritition (blood lost) or by a death crit?

Axhinde
06-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Death crit. With the brawling weapons, neck and eye shots are easy to hit. And a rank 4 punture to the eye will is enough for a crit kill.

Xcalibur
06-09-2004, 11:46 AM
So as I calculated before, a piercing weapon that does a minimum of a level 8 crit in the eye kill 100% of the time, and you get 2 chances everytime.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Just bad that brawling's DF, in most case, terribly sux.

Axhinde
06-09-2004, 11:48 AM
They're not the best. But a fist-scyth usually does the job. Ambushing 2 weapons in 5 seconds in sweet too. Bolt DS, as always, isn't what I'd like it to be.

Edit: I'll put up some combat swings once I get home from work.

Xcalibur
06-09-2004, 11:53 AM
I'd assume that with 2X dodge and some spells (401, 406 and obviously 911) you'd be able to have enough ds against bolting to be able to survive them?

And col gave you a neat 55 against bolting too!

2Xing cm/weapon/ambush/hide rogue are war machine, just a bit bellow war mages:socool:

[Edited on 9-6-04 by Xcalibur]

Axhinde
06-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Celexei
well i was told it'd be kinda nice to go with 2x brawling and 2x OHE for Katars, but i'm not to sure, i just was tryin to give him some interesting fun options to play with

After playing around with this plan, I'm not so sure that 2x brawling and OHE just to be able to use a katar is worth it. A fist-scythe is not much worse, and the points a rogue gets from forgoeing OHE is much more useful. I'm pretty sure I'd have enough if I dropped Armor down to 1x, and took a little away from Dodge...but then I'd be taking away the essence of what my character is. And it's not a damn ninja!

Axhinde
06-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
I'd assume that with 2X dodge and some spells (401, 406 and obviously 911) you'd be able to have enough ds against bolting to be able to survive them?

And col gave you a neat 55 against bolting too!

2Xing cm/weapon/ambush/hide rogue are war machine, just a bit bellow war mages:socool:

[Edited on 9-6-04 by Xcalibur]

Exactly. And my rogue is surounded by sorcerer's, so his DS and TD needs are taken care of.

I'll take one step below a warmage any day over ohe/shield anything.

Axhinde
06-09-2004, 12:44 PM
A krolvin warfarer swings a falchion at you!
AS: +200 vs DS: +343 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +5 = -106
A clean miss.
>(No spells, just signs)
You're now aiming at the left eye of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
>stance o
You are now in an offensive stance.

>amb warf
You leap from hiding to attack!
You swing with a leopard jawbone fist-scythe at a krolvin warfarer!
The krolvin warfarer blocks your attack!
You slash with a glaes-taloned fiery crimson razorpaw at a krolvin warfarer!
AS: +258 vs DS: +155 with AvD: +19 + d100 roll: +39 = +161
... and hit for 52 points of damage!
Slash to the krolvin warfarer's left eye!
Vitreous fluid spews forth!
Seeya!
The krolvin warfarer falls to the ground and lies still.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

AS: +260 vs DS: +155 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +86 = +230
... and hit for 69 points of damage!
Strike to the eye penetrates skull, ocular fluid sprays widely!

(Still waiting to miss)

aim head
You're now aiming at the head of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.

A krolvin warfarer swings a falchion at you!
AS: +200 vs DS: +210 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +90 = +112
... and hits for 3 points of damage!
Quick slash at your left eye.
Strike lands but misses the target.

AS: +260 vs DS: +114 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +91 = +276
... and hit for 103 points of damage!
Quick, powerful slash!
The krolvin warfarer's chest is ripped open!
You slash with a glaes-taloned fiery crimson razorpaw at a krolvin warfarer!
AS: +258 vs DS: +114 with AvD: +19 + d100 roll: +65 = +228
... and hit for 71 points of damage!
Hard slash to the krolvin warfarer's side opens its spleen!
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Hope these give you somewhat of an idea on how a TWC/Brawling Rogue can do. He's by far the most fun I've had with any character.

Drew
06-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Axhinde, wouldn't a character that is dedicated to brawling like that benefit more from Voln than CoL?

fallenSaint
06-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Axhinde
My rogue uses this plan, but without MOC...the points just aren't there to seriously have any use for MOC. But it is still by far my funnest character to play. And if you get a weighted weapon for your off-hand weapon, it's lovely.

Here he is at 27

Two Weapon Combat..................| 156 56
Armor Use..........................| 142 42
Combat Maneuvers...................| 156 56
Brawling...........................| 156 56
Ambush.............................| 156 56
Physical Fitness...................| 114 28
Dodging............................| 156 56
Magic Item Use.....................| 50 10
Harness Power......................| 20 4
Stalking and Hiding................| 156 56
Perception.........................| 114 28
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 70 15

Edit: The 4 ranks of Harness Power is because he is CoL, and MIU is just a personal choice.

Dont suppose I could get you to toss up your stat placement and race? Im just looking to see how I want to take my character.

Also still curious if anyone out there has a TWC / MOC Rogue.

Axhinde
06-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Drew
Axhinde, wouldn't a character that is dedicated to brawling like that benefit more from Voln than CoL?

Well that depends on how you see your character. Mine was Voln, is now is CoL. The way I see him, Voln just doesn't fit him. Mechanics only go so far, then it's time to start having fun roleplaying.

As far as stat placement and race goes, any race with a Dex and Agi bonus will be ideal for quicker ambushing. Stats, depending on if you want them to grow, I'd go with keeping your Dexterity, Agility, and Strength pretty similar to each other because all 3 grow fast. And I put Wisdom at around 90 to start, it should max at around 90 trains of a half-elf.