PDA

View Full Version : Skinning weapon

JustDan
11-13-2011, 08:47 AM
A decent percentage of my deaths come (as a shield / brawl sorc) when I yank out my skinning weapon (a dagger), kneel down to skin something, then get my head caved in. Does a brawling weapon (say, a sai, or a fist-scythe) work as well for skinning as a dagger-based one?

And yes, I realize I could just not kneel, or not skin when there's other critters in the room. I don't wanna do that, but I can if I have to.

Kitsun
11-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Do you have the skinning macro'd/scripted? Also, didn't someone prove that the kneeling boost was a myth?

You shouldn't be getting rocked if you're timing it correctly and moving fast enough.

You can always ewave before skinning too to lock them down so it is safe to skin.

JustDan
11-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Do you have the skinning macro'd/scripted? Also, didn't someone prove that the kneeling boost was a myth?

You shouldn't be getting rocked if you're timing it correctly and moving fast enough.

You can always ewave before skinning too to lock them down so it is safe to skin.

It happens maybe 1% of the time. It's kinda like getting nailed in the half-heartbeat between STANCE OFF | 910 | STANCE DEF. I do have everything scripted, so most of the time it's not even noticeable. Just trying to reduce the chances of dying to as low as possible.

EWave is nice, but it's usually a defender (who cares not for my ewave) who gets me.

I'd love to hear if the kneeling "myth" was disproved, though. Would make my life a lot easier.

WRoss
11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I have a skinning script that only kneels when the room is empty. I think that optimus does the same thing. You should check it out.

Gelston
11-13-2011, 10:27 AM
sloot has an option called safe skin, that will only stance/kneel if there are no critters in the room.

JustDan
11-13-2011, 10:37 AM
sloot has an option called safe skin, that will only stance/kneel if there are no critters in the room.

As does ;loot, which is what I use. However, I'm not that great of a skinner yet (1x FA, .3x Survival), and I need every advantage I can get to satisfy bounty tasks in the minimum number of kills (I HATE hunting for maguses). If a brawling weapon (which would give me vastly more DS when held due to my training) can skin as well as an OHE one, then I'm golden.

Rolis
11-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I was also curious as to if this really affected prices. I suppose I could do some statisical analysis of price with kneeling and without. When I do, I will be sure share the report.

Does anyone know if being encumbered affects skin values? If not, I suppose this is another thing that I could test for. It would be best to limit the amount of unknown variables while testing.

I do a bit of skinning but have not really looked into factors for prices of skins. When hunting a critter and selling skins, do the price of the critter's skins devalue over time due to overhunting? Like our loot system mechanics?

Thank you for any input.

JustDan
11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I was also curious as to if this really affected prices. I suppose I could do some statisical analysis of price with kneeling and without. When I do, I will be sure share the report.

Does anyone know if being encumbered affects skin values? If not, I suppose this is another thing that I could test for. It would be best to limit the amount of unknown variables while testing.

I do a bit of skinning but have not really looked into factors for prices of skins. When hunting a critter and selling skins, do the price of the critter's skins devalue over time due to overhunting? Like our loot system mechanics?

Thank you for any input.

For what it's worth, for my purposes I don't really care about price, but more about the quality of the skin. For Adv Guild tasks, you have to have X number of skins that appraise as a certain quality for them to qualify. Prices fluctuate quite a bit, but the quality of the skin should be more static.

Very interested to see some statistical research into this.

Mobius1
11-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I would see how a hook-knife works, if I were you.

It counts as a dagger for everything I have seen thus far, though I haven't tried it with skinning.

petroglyph
11-13-2011, 11:15 AM
I use a hook-knife, because I'm lazy and that's what I have, but I have a vague recollection that tiger-claws are actually better for skinning. Hell if I can find any reference to it on Krakii or gsguide, though.

septus
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
kneeling does affect skinning, as does having a hand free and using a dagger. It was added when they updated the skinning system. Before that it had no effect. I'm not quite sure if it just increases success or if it also increases skin quality.

Endaar
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Different creature types have different weapon-damage types (slashing, crushing, piercing) that will skin them best. It just so happens that whichever type a dagger is (piercing?) is the best for most types of creatures.

But other creatures are different... e.g. bone golems and krynches (probably both types) react better to a crushing weapon skinning them. The exact nature of which creatures have which weapon type as the "best" seems to be an in-game secret as no site specifically lists all of these.

Hope this helps!

-E.

Gravebane525
11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I used a hook knife to skin for a long time and it worked pretty well. the picture reminded me more of the gutting knifes that are used today then a full sized dagger.