PDA

View Full Version : S. Korean Student Anti USA Rally

Skirmisher
05-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Alright, I can understand North Korean protesters, but come on, South Korean students who have an immensely better quality of life, who have the opportunity to even GET a university education and who owe even their freedom to protest in the first place to those same US forces does piss me off.

We buy their products, we send our troops there to maintain the border for decades AFTER sending tens of thousands to be killed or wounded in combat and have long been a location they were extremely happy to be able to send their children for a college degree.

Yes yes, I am well aware thet the US involved itself in the Korean conflict out of our own self interest, but regardless of why, the fact remains that without the aid from the US, what is now South Korea would not exist on the geopolitical maps of today.

Someone needs to slap these kids around a bit.

South Korean Students Hold Anti-U.S. Rally <------Yahoo News Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050529/ap_on_re_as/skorea_us_protest)

Thousands of South Korean students rallying Sunday against the U.S. military's five-decade presence clashed with police after trying to enter the American base, and at least 12 people were injured and more than 20 were arrested.

Demonstrators marched through Seoul before attempting to enter the main Yongsan U.S. military base in the city center. They called for the withdrawal of the 32,500 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War.

Demonstrators also gathered near the U.S. Embassy in downtown Seoul demanding talks with the ambassador.

Television pictures showed masked protesters repeatedly charging helmeted riot police, who wielded truncheons and carried shields. At one point, students lay in the street outside the base, chanting and clapping.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the protest was the largest of its kind in recent years.

Such rallies were common in the 1980s and 1990s but have lately given way to peaceful candlelight vigils. There were no exact figures on the number of protesters, although Yonhap said they numbered in the thousands.

Several thousand U.S. soldiers based in South Korea have been reassigned to Iraq, and more are slated to depart in the next few years, leaving about 24,500.

Atlanteax
05-29-2005, 01:13 PM
The U.S. just can't win. :shrug:

Killer Kitten
05-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Warning: Conspiracy Theory to Follow!

Maybe cleverly planted North Korean types keep that particular pot stirred, hoping that continued protest of U.S. presence will encourage removal of our forces.

If U.S. troops were gone, South Korea would be a pushover for forces from the North.

I'm sure most of the people actually doing the protesting are South Korean Students. It's relatively easy to get kids in large groups to move where you want 'em if they're herded properly.

The Bush White House is probably behind it all, far back in the shadows. (And yes, before foaming at the mouth commences, that is a joke.)

Warriorbird
05-29-2005, 01:46 PM
I dunno. Let's withdraw and see how well they do.

:snickers:

05-29-2005, 02:34 PM
We would just be back in there a week later, although it would be nice.

Sean of the Thread
05-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Nuke em all I say.. be sure to evacuate all the Wal-Marts first.

longshot
05-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I have explained many, many times that ALL of Korea is a terrible, terrible place.

Not just the North.

When you buy Korean products, like Hyundai, LG, Daewoo, and Samsung, it supports this shit. It also supports aid to the North.

Please remember that it's cheap because it's a Korean peice of shit.
Apple just recalled a ton of notebooks because the LG batteries posed a fire hazard.

They eat dogs too.

05-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Cool.

ElanthianSiren
05-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Xyelin
Nuke em all I say.. be sure to evacuate all the Wal-Marts first.

Let's hope North Korea doesn't realize this is a realistic option first. Oh wait... that's right, talks called off. My bad.

-Melissa

Nieninque
05-31-2005, 07:45 AM
I love how the US preaches freedom of speech and democracy, but dont like it when it is put into practice :shrug:

Skirmisher
05-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
I love how the US preaches freedom of speech and democracy, but dont like it when it is put into practice :shrug:

Your bias is showing there Nieninque.

As Killer Kitten mentioned earlier it is commonly known that North Korea has long done its best to foster student protest groups.

The ironic part is that if these naive youths had succeeded in doing the work of of North Korea they would have quickly learned just how gentle that government is with political protest of any kind.

Perhaps its been too long since the battle of Britain for you to have the proper appreciation of the position of a country with an enemy nation poised to invade at the earliest sign of weakness.

:shrug:

Gan
05-31-2005, 09:53 AM
At least we didnt run over the protestors with tanks like what was done in Tineneman (sp) square. Which is what they could expect if we were to withdraw and the China influenced N. Koreans were to take over. :lol:

I bet you'd see a totally different reaction from the student protestors if we actually did withdraw and they were immediately pressed into service to oppose the imenent invasion of N. Korean forces.

Foolish protests seem to be the modus operundai of all college students - regardless of what country they are in.

[Edited on 5-31-2005 by Ganalon]