PDA

View Full Version : Objectives from Simucon other than profession

theotherjohn
06-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Bounties
This will allow for more short-term goals for players. A character is hired by an NPC to complete a certain task and is rewarded upon successful completion. It will not necessarily be hunting related, but any hunting or creature killing will be based on the character's abilities, ie, not sending a capped character into kobolds. It may be possible to give a character more rewards beyond experience and silver. There will be a "hierarchy" within the system, for example, completion of 5 quests earns the character a certain reward, and 10 more will earn him a different reward. The requirements to advance in the hierarchy will increase as the character progresses to prevent advancing too quickly. In some quests where the character is hired to retrieve an item from a critter ("The kobolds chased me and I lost my hierloom. Go get it."), the system will determine whether the character on the quest will find it upon searching the correct creature, so another character won't accidentally find it. At this time, only NPCs will sponsor bounties, but it's not definite if it will change. There may be an ability to abandon a quest or for a time limit in the case where a quest given to a character is impossible to complete.

Multi-Opponent Combat
As a character faces multiple opponents, his ability to defend himself as best he can will decrease. As such, when facing more and more opponents attacking, a character's defenses will be lowered. It will be based on how many attacks are directed on the character over a certain period of time, not how many enemies are in the room. The penalties to defenses is lowered as the character trains in the Multi-Opponent Combat skill. It is possible that these penalties will apply to creatures when facing multiple adventureres, but that's not definite. This may be released in RSN.

Weekly Experience Bonus
To help casual gamers, as well as provide a benefit to players in the lands more often, a weekly multiplier to a character's experience will be applied. It only applies a certain multiplier for a certain period of time per week, given to each character and applied when the character logs in, not at a set day and time in the week. The time for the experience multiplier is counted like an RPA, in that if a character is not earning experience and actively learning, the time on the bonus does not decrease. In all likelihood, a character can type exp to see how long is left in the multiplier. It is expected to be released in HSN.

Spell Fixes to Creatures
When GS4 was first released, creatures were coded to gen without spells on and not able to cast defensive spells. In HSN, spells will again be made available to creatures for casting and wearing while genned. The creatures' defenses will be adjusted to account for the spells, since their defenses were tweeked for losing spells. Thus, the creatures' defenses will be approximately the same as they are now, with some variances in AS, TD, etc. Spells that provide a larger bonus to the creatures, however, will almost always be worn unless dispelled.

Improved Treasure Generator
Coming from GM Coase, the treasure generator will now include more shields, armor and weapons, and occasionally runestaves from creatures that would use them. There was also a hint at more weapons being in backrooms, but I'm not sure if that means pawnshop backrooms or weapon shop backrooms. It is estimated to be released in HSN.

Voln Outposts
More Voln outposts are going to be established in other towns, including River's Rest and the Elven Nations, maybe more. Some places may be prayer spots, and other places may have an NPC to help the character advance in their steps. There will be no more tapestries available to Masters, however. These improvements are scheduled for HSN.

Katana Quest
In some towns, it may be possible to order a plain, steel katana from a weapons shop, but quantities might be limited and the character will have to wait a certain period of time before picking it up. In other towns, a character may go through a quest to obtain a steel katana. It was hinted, also, that magic metal katanas may be available, but no details were given. Scheduled for HSN

Improved Combat Messaging
Currently written by Stealth for HSN release, there will be more messages for EBP successes, instead of the repetitive "You dodge the attack." The messaging will take many factors into account, such as whether the character is prone, or whether he is holding weapons, a shield, etc.

New Death Mechanics
DR points are being scrapped completely. Instead, characters will suffer stat loss based on how the character died, whether the character had deeds, or whether he was raised. The stats will come back on their own over a time of 10 minutes to 30-40 minutes if a character decayed without deeds. Stat loss does not stack. Rather, it is refreshed with each death. With the stat loss comes the decrease in relevant areas and abilities, such as AS, encumbrance, stamina, spirit, etc. The Chrism tier of the Cleric spell Holy Receptacle, 325, can be used to reduce the stat loss for the character once raised.
In addition, each death will result in a loss of Constitution, usually 1 point, but depending on the manner of death. It will be possible to gain these points back through earning more experience, or through purchasing a recovery item through the local churches (not detailing what the church is). It is possible to buy the item at any time, but they are attuned to the character, and it may be that it will become invalid if the character trains. These items may be costly, but the cost can be reduced by going through a quest for the church. Constitution loss caps to approximately 75% of the character's maximum. Enhancive items will work, but it is unclear how at the moment.
Stat losses will still be suffered if the death comes from CvC.

Kitsun
06-05-2004, 04:04 PM
The one announcement that has me worried is that freaking Multi-Oppononent Combat thing.

The experience bonus sounds spiffy, can't complain there.

Most of the others sound good.

theotherjohn
06-05-2004, 04:05 PM
am I the only one sick of learning a new game every couple months :?:

Kitsun
06-05-2004, 04:12 PM
This isn't so bad, they're not re-working and overhauling the groundwork with every change.

DaoC was *TERRIBLE* with changes. Every goddamn week they 'tweaked' professions and basically redid the balance of classes there. If you had to go on leave for two weeks, you'd come back to where your profession could no longer do what you had trained him to do.

Latrinsorm
06-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Guess nobody will be able to deal with swarms anymore. Keen.

06-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Squares whined too much about a pure being able to survive in a swarm better. Yay.

This is turning into "every profession can do the exact same thing and the exact same thing only, but have different messages for it."

My verdict? GH3Y!

- Arkans

AnticorRifling
06-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Ewave and cone still work.

Gan
06-06-2004, 09:02 AM
I think the loss of DR points and the institution of the stat loss penalty upon death is going to really stink. After my character gets killed I like to recover as soon as I can and get back out to hunting to make up for the loss in experience gained but not absorbed prior to the death.

Artha
06-06-2004, 09:07 AM
So did you come here, or do you know someone who takes kick ass notes?

There was also a lot of other stuff that they were going to do...friend and foe and a few other things I really can't remember.

Galleazzo
06-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Mebbe the answer is not to get killed as often.

Anyway this change to MOC is what MOC was supposed to be for when it was invented, that without it swarms could overwhelm you.

Kitsun
06-07-2004, 11:49 PM
>How does this work vs mstrike? Will multiple swings continuously drop the targets defenses?

The plan as I understand it is that it won't matter why the attack is coming, just how long it's been since the last one. Yes, a focused mstrike that comes in 4 times would be equivalent to four characters swinging at a critter at the same time. Also applies for two-weapon users - those are two separate attacks.

GM Solli
Squares / Semis / Breakage

From the official boards on the MOC thing...

Anyone else picturing rapidfire and minor shock killing really being funny?

Or a hasted wizard with say a weapon type they can't use? just swing till their DS is low enough, heh!