PDA

View Full Version : PT and Enormous Rift Crawlers

Jonty
10-25-2011, 09:35 PM
My sorcerer is at about 2.4x spells and I'm considering falling back to 1x to build up PF a bit. He's currently at 21 PF ranks....

Will this help with avoiding the enormous rift crawler burrows? I've been avoiding plane 4 because of them.

Xorai
10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Hunting there unencumbered as a wizard with 1x PT I died every time they burrowed on me. Don't let that scare you though, I'm fairly certain that my luck sucks.

Jonty
10-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Hunting there unencumbered as a wizard with 1x PT I died every time they burrowed on me. Don't let that scare you though, I'm fairly certain that my luck sucks.

:lol: It doesn't scare me; it's just persuading me not to get more PF ranks and just continue tripling spells when I can.

Smythe
10-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Stance, race 'n stats are key. Stay in DEF after a burrow. Prolly da single biggest point.

- Smythe

Jonty
10-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Yep, I'm always in defensive, unless I'm casting. I read PF, CM, and Perception help. I have 21 PF, 0 CM, and 48 Perception.

Race is Dark Elf. Stats are:

Strength (STR): 99 (24)
Constitution (CON): 99 (19)
Dexterity (DEX): 98 (34)
Agility (AGI): 98 (29)
Discipline (DIS): 98 (14)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 98 (24)
Intuition (INT): 98 (29)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (30)
Influence (INF): 71 (5)

droit
10-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Don't take one person's word for it. I think many pures have professed seeing a huge benefit against burrows after bringing their PF up to 1x.

Jonty
10-25-2011, 11:51 PM

Just curious, what race?

Xorai
10-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Half-Elf

I hunted the Scatter maybe 15-20 times total and died around 5 or 6 times. All of those deaths were from crawlers however. As I said earlier, I probably just have bad luck. There were times a crawler would kill me out of nowhere without me even seeing it burrow.

Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Combat Maneuvers...................| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Arcane Symbols.....................| 281 181
Magic Item Use.....................| 302 202
Spell Aiming.......................| 302 202
Harness Power......................| 403 303
Elemental Mana Control.............| 201 101
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 302 202
Perception.........................| 201 101
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 160 60

Mobius1
10-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Does getting slash protection help a lot vs. crawlers?

Roblar
10-26-2011, 03:25 AM

Yep.

Jonty
10-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Half-Elf

I hunted the Scatter maybe 15-20 times total and died around 5 or 6 times. All of those deaths were from crawlers however. As I said earlier, I probably just have bad luck. There were times a crawler would kill me out of nowhere without me even seeing it burrow.

Yeah, my first time on 4 since I came back, I tried to rescue someone. As soon as I got to him, BOOM, crawler burrowed out and my head was gone.

I've done a few rescues off 4 since then without dying. I have been hit, but only stunned for no more than 5 rounds.

They pop up on 5 once in a while, but I usually take care of them quickly. But their bind pissed me off. Is there anything that helps with the bind?

Combat Maneuvers...................| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Perception.........................| 201 101

To see that you have so many of the skills that are supposed to aid in avoiding maneuvers, yet, you still say they kill you often, is pretty discouraging as far as going for more PF goes.

I may just 1x spells and saved the TPs for the next couple of levels and see how I feel about it then.

Mohrgan
10-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Yes and yes, this is probably the single best thing (and easiest) thing that you can do to help with those crit kills. Find me (Mohrgan) or Roblar or Jeril or someone hanging around TC in Icemule. Any of us, I'm sure, would be happy to fit you with Slash protection as often as you want. Really, Mohrgan has full 3x PF and wears plate, and without slash protection he still can routinely lose limbs or get really nasty crits from those things. With it, I almost never get stunned, or if I do, its for a round or two.

That and stay in Stance Def as much as you can, makes a huge difference.

Jeril
10-27-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't have any training for slash protection I usually get mine from Roblar. And yes, it helps a lot. PF helps you avoid them and makes most of them not as bad as they can be, but the slash protection will save your bacon when you get a fumble against a burrow. With slash protection on my armor I have never taken a death crit from burrows.

Mohrgan
10-27-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't have any training for slash protection I usually get mine from Roblar. And yes, it helps a lot. PF helps you avoid them and makes most of them not as bad as they can be, but the slash protection will save your bacon when you get a fumble against a burrow. With slash protection on my armor I have never taken a death crit from burrows.

oh, oops. well I can do it, anyway! Sorry Jeril ;)

Drew
10-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Kerl does it as well.

Ceyrin
10-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Giant cleric with 55 ranks of PF and climbing (my PF ranks are, not the skill), and I've seen a huge improvement against burrows over when I had just enough PF for max HP.

Jonty
10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the input.

How much of a difference do you think there'd be between superb slash fittings and masterwork slash fittings for normal double leather and full plate?

I brought Jonty back and can only get up to rank 4 at this point.

Mohrgan
10-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the input.

How much of a difference do you think there'd be between superb slash fittings and masterwork slash fittings for normal double leather and full plate?

I brought Jonty back and can only get up to rank 4 at this point.

So, from the documentation:

Description: Adjusts a person's armor so that it is more resistant to slashing attacks. The base strength of the damage resistance is equal to (Fitting Tier * 10), with common fittings having a value of 1 and masterwork fittings having a value of 5. If the armor is flared or provides a bonus to AS/TD, there is a -10 penalty to the resistance strength. If the armor is padded, there is a penalty of -5 per ASSESS level to a maximum penalty of -40. The number of slashing hits that can be taken before the resistance wears off is equal to ((Fitting Tier * 10) + (Armor Use Skill / 10)).

What that translates to in terms of numbers as far as endrolls and damage, I can't calculate. But I can tell you that Mohrgan only has rank 4 (with plate) and they work great. I have used rank 5 fittings that Roblar slapped on them and I couldn't tell you I saw a difference, though the numbers, if I were to crunch them, surely would. If you're wearing plate with rank 4 slash fittings, and on top of that try to stay in defensive as much as you can, you are going to have little problem with the crawlers.

Roblar
10-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Right, there is a 10% difference. Rank 5 masterful fittings give you 50% (incredible) protection against slash attacks.