PDA

View Full Version : Runestaff flares

Donquix
09-22-2011, 01:36 AM
From the EG thread:

You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Smite spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a zombie rolton.
A scintillating, blue-white aura encompasses a zombie rolton.
CS: +482 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + d100: +90 == +594
Warding failed!
A massive beam of blue-white energy engulfs a zombie rolton in a luminous column of light!
The zombie rolton is hit for 45 points of damage!
... 50 points of damage!
The zombie rolton is sliced open neatly by brilliant beam of plasma!

** Your orase runestaff pulses with a burst of plasma energy! **

... 25 points of damage!
A raw, red hole is drilled in the zombie rolton's chest by a powerful bolt!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Smite spell...
Your spell is ready.
Your orase runestaff pulses with a verdant light!
CS: +494 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + d100: +92 == +602
Warding failed!
A massive beam of blue-white energy engulfs a zombie rolton in a luminous column of light!
The zombie rolton is hit for 45 points of damage!
... 40 points of damage!
Encasing plasma cremates the zombie rolton's hand leaving a bloody stump!
A zombie rolton screeches loudly while frantically licking its wounded right hoof.

Your spell is ready.
CS: +482 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + d100: +74 == +578
Warding failed!
With a sudden burst of divine insight, you're able to amplify the power of your Smite spell!
The zombie rolton is hit for 64 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
Awesome lash of plasma severs the zombie rolton's arm completely!
A zombie rolton screeches loudly and slumps to the ground while frantically licking its wounded left foreleg.
Your orase runestaff pulses with a white-blue light!
You feel 2 mana surge into you!

Not a script... :P

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

subzero
09-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Wow, nice. Finally some useful additions to runestaves.

Asrial
09-23-2011, 03:21 AM
About damn time.

Fallen
09-23-2011, 03:22 AM
Also, lol at the bitching squares started in on the moment these were announced. These are a long time coming, glad to see them coming down the line.

thefarmer
09-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Also, lol at the bitching squares started in on the moment these were announced. These are a long time coming, glad to see them coming down the line.

Example?

Fallen
09-23-2011, 04:01 AM
In light of runestaves getting offensive flare ability and apparently a CS booster, I think all shield flares should be reactive.

Shields need the help too!

-farmer

----
and weapons should get reactive flares too

B
----
I agree that runestaves need improvement and a reason to use them.

However, I disagree with your suggestion that flares take training into account. ***Mainly because I'm of the opinion that there should be a limit on how much offensive (and defensive) power a runestaff has (as far as any future developments). Perhaps one, or the other, but not both. Especially not in the same runestaff.***

-farmer

Fallen
09-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Remember folks, the grass is always greener. Take it from a sorcerer. Asking for improvements to your existing spells/gear/etc based upon an improvement to other aspects of the game is a form of bitching, as i've been told numerous times.

thefarmer
09-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Remember folks, the grass is always greener. Take it from a sorcerer. Asking for improvements to your existing spells/gear/etc based upon an improvement to other aspects of the game is a form of bitching, as i've been told numerous times.

1. I don't even use shields.

2. Really? That's bitching? Give me a break.

I guess if you consider that bitching, I guess all your posts in that RR thread are you just bitching and QQ'ing?

Lulz.

Gelston
09-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Yeah... That isn't bitching really.

Fallen
09-23-2011, 08:38 AM
1. I don't even use shields.

2. Really? That's bitching? Give me a break.

I guess if you consider that bitching, I guess all your posts in that RR thread are you just bitching and QQ'ing?

Lulz.

I mostly consider your posts on the officials trolling, not bitching. You usually just try to shine people on.

thefarmer
09-23-2011, 11:27 AM
I mostly consider your posts on the officials trolling, not bitching. You usually just try to shine people on.

Last edited by Fallen : 09-23-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: And lets just skip all the Paladin QQing, shall we?

Coming from you that's a hoot.

Donquix
09-23-2011, 12:07 PM
In light of runestaves getting offensive flare ability and apparently a CS booster, I think all shield flares should be reactive.

Shields need the help too!

-farmer

----
and weapons should get reactive flares too

B
----
I agree that runestaves need improvement and a reason to use them.

However, I disagree with your suggestion that flares take training into account. ***Mainly because I'm of the opinion that there should be a limit on how much offensive (and defensive) power a runestaff has (as far as any future developments). Perhaps one, or the other, but not both. Especially not in the same runestaff.***

-farmer

Yeah none of those seem like bitching, just suggestions for improvements in other areas. I don't think i've seen anyone that would disagree that runestaffs are boring as fuck now and deserved something like this to make them less so.

the last part is just suggesting there should be parity between runestaff flares and melee weapon flares. Melee weapon flares don't scale, why should runestaff variants?

Nattor
09-23-2011, 02:28 PM
well shit, I was just about to sell my 7x runestaff, now I want to keep it and add flares to it..

Fallen
09-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Are these runestaff flares (a) being sold off the shelf, (b) being added by merchants to existing runestaves, (c) being added by a merchant only to runestaves being sold in the merchant's shop, or (d) something else?I have to confess that I do not know the significance of the fact that it's not a script. Does it mean it can be added to any runestaff? - KARDIOS

It'll be a service that can be added to any runestaff unless the runestaff has defender or weighting. I'll have more official details in about a week.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

subzero
09-23-2011, 03:02 PM
It'll be a service that can be added to any runestaff unless the runestaff has defender or weighting.

Why they can't flag certain items to NOT get useless properties is pretty amazing to me.

Fallen
09-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Though not mentioned, I wonder if sanctification would also cause problems, or is that considered a script?

Archigeek
09-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Being one of the resident squares, I was also one of those who argued from the very begining that runestaves should be more than stick-dux. I always thought that stick-dux, (the pure's version of redux), was a clumbsy solution that missed out on huge potential. In my mind runestaff training should have been a skill you could train in, and the use of a runestaff would allow channeling/focusing and strengthening of the spells you train in, not just a gimmie. To me, that sort of design allows you a much broader spectrum of end results.

Instead, they chose the easy copy-cat solution: a design that's really hamstrung with regards to what you can do with it, where a channeling approach allows you infinite customizability.

If they'd gone with a trainable skill where the staff was used as a channeling device, you guys would probably have dozens more options for runestaff customization by now. But flares are cool.

Fallen
09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Oscuro spoke at length about coming up with various training/guiild based ways to improve runestaves, but with him largely out of the picture this seems like the next best thing. I doubt Orisons will be finished at this point, let alone any of his other projects.

Donquix
09-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Though not mentioned, I wonder if sanctification would also cause problems, or is that considered a script?

From the sound of things this is a new feature in the actual "flare" slot, so that shouldn't be a conflict since flares/sanc are not mutually exclusive.

Fallen
09-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Weighted staves are found in the treasure system. I've never heard of anyone actually adding weighting to a runestaff. The weighting only works when swung. - WYNTRFRSH

Only if a GameMaster manually created one and added it.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

m444w
09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Weighted staves are found in the treasure system. I've never heard of anyone actually adding weighting to a runestaff. The weighting only works when swung. - WYNTRFRSH

I find that an interesting statement after previous announcements it was possible to gen almost anything including a krodera claid if the stars aligned.

T his was in response to estild*

subzero
09-23-2011, 11:26 PM

Right, which is pretty stupid, like sancted bracers. However, they now have the ability to add weighting to bolts, so they could potentially make it worth something. Not that I ever expect it to happen, but we all have our little dreams.

Nattor
09-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I'd take some crit weighting on 702.. oh wait...

Fallen
09-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Please note, these staves will not have flares off-the-shelf, this is merely a demonstration that they do work with Estild's amazing update. And that's part of why he was so pleased to announce that they were not a script :)

[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
As you progress on this north-south path, the dark forest to the west catches your eye. A little forbidding in its primeval appearance, it is sure to offer a good source of small-game hunting. You also see a cave troll.
Obvious paths: north, south, west

Speaking to a cave troll, you exclaim, "You shall not pass!"

You raise your orase runestaff high overhead, and bring the butt end slamming down on the ground with a loud THUMP.
1d100: 8 + Modifiers: 136 == 144

A wave of dark ethereal ripples moves outward from you.
A cave troll is buffeted by the dark ethereal waves and is knocked to the ground.

You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Heal...
Your spell is ready.

You gesture at a cave troll.
CS: +248 - TD: +48 + CvA: +25 + d100: +29 == +254
Warding failed!
A brief tremor ripples across the troll's skin, leaving a faint beading of scarlet in its wake.
... 34 points of damage!

Your orase runestaff flares with a burst of flame!

... 20 points of damage!
Minor burns to abdomen. Looks painful.
The cave troll moans in pain as the flames singe its skin!
... 20 points of damage!
Minor burns to neck. Looks uncomfortable.

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(

Nifty.

DaCapn
09-26-2011, 12:32 AM
I always though that getting 1.5x THW training for my runestaff (DS-wise) for free was enough. Seems like this will only work for CS spells and not bolts (based on the examples given, anyway)?

You raise your orase runestaff high overhead, and bring the butt end slamming down on the ground with a loud THUMP.
1d100: 8 + Modifiers: 136 == 144

Was it clarified what exactly this did?

EDIT: Oh, I guess the absence of the 410 prep messaging suggests that this cast 410. And that he's doing it with an empath?

Kitsun
09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
That seems like an example of the flares being added on top of a self-mana ewave runestaff.

I'm wondering if the flares are really going to exhibit all of the shown types or if it is going to be a choice between damage flares, CS boost flares, mana-return flares.

Donquix
09-26-2011, 01:00 AM
I always though that getting 1.5x THW training for my runestaff (DS-wise) for free was enough. Seems like this will only work for CS spells and not bolts (based on the examples given, anyway)?

Was it clarified what exactly this did?

EDIT: Oh, I guess the absence of the 410 prep messaging suggests that this cast 410. And that he's doing it with an empath?

And you still only get 1.5x THW with your training. Just like a square only gets 2x their weapon type with their training. But squares had items to get that didn't suck, pures were like "wooo...uhm....damn, weapons that actually increase your combat effectiveness are cool. What's that like?"

Now they're more on an even playing field.

Fallen
09-26-2011, 08:50 PM
You glance down to see a lor runestaff in your right hand and a golden wand in your left hand.

You ponder.

You pull out the retaining pins on the segmented cap and place the wand in the hollow tip of your runestaff. Turning a small peg, you close the tip tightly around the wand.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

You let out a little squeal of delight.

You glance down to see a lor runestaff tipped with a golden wand in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.

You say, "Ready."

You say, "Aim."

As you point your lor runestaff directly at a rolton, a faint corona of energy wraps the wand in its tip.

You exclaim, "Fire!"

You wave your lor runestaff at a rolton and small sparks of energy dance around the golden wand in its tip.
1d100: 33 + Modifiers: 168 == 201

You hurl a stream of fire at a rolton!
AS: +25 vs DS: +5 with AvD: +55 + d100 roll: +66 = +141
... and hit for 37 points of damage!
Extreme heat melts the skin off a rolton's right hand. Gross!
The rolton collapses to the ground, emits a final bleat, and dies.

You exclaim, "Toasty!"

Bring your own wands. Use them year-round in these fancy new staves. Some assembly and maintenance required. Contact a skilled local gnomish technician for additional information!
___

fucking awesome

Archigeek
09-26-2011, 09:11 PM
That last clip is one of those things I love: nifty and dang practical too. You can now wave a wand without holding one. Nice.

JustDan
09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
I knew I shoulda dropped shield/brawl and changed to a runestaff. This is sounding more and more awesome.

Fallen
09-26-2011, 11:07 PM
The wand-holding feature is a script for runestaves, which will be available at EG!

The downside is they will degrade with use, as the mechanisms are very delicate and were never intended to be carried in to battle.

The upside is that they are repairable (by anyone), but it takes some time. Gnomes will, of course, be the best at it.

The repair/maintenance mechanics as I've got them currently are such that it's something best done in town, between a hunt when you have some downtime anyway. It will be much easier to do a bit of preventive maintenance, as opposed to running it all the way down until it breaks. If you do manage to break the mechanism, the wand portion of the staves will cease to function until it gets repaired (and yes, you can do this yourself). It will still be usable as a runestaff, though.

Save those steel springs!

___
I like it. A non-stupid version of breakage. Don't want to bother with it? Don't get the script.