PDA

View Full Version : It's been 10 years..since 9/11/01

Solkern
09-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Can't believe it..

Time has really flown by.

my prayers and love go out to the people who lost someone on this day 10 years ago.

Gelston
09-11-2011, 05:56 AM
I had enlisted in the Marine Corps exactly 15 days prior. I was ready to go to war when I saw it happen on TV just before going to school that day. I was expecting them to pull me out of my senior year to go fight somewhere. Obviously, it didn't happen.

I remember turning on the TV that morning and only one building had been hit, and I saw the second plane hit the other building live. I still remember the news person saying that we were under attack and that had to have been intentional.

Later on I remember when Congress sang God Bless America all together. It'll still bring a tear to my eye remembering that to this day.

B4Hand
09-11-2011, 09:07 AM
My oldest is watching footage from ten years ago today, I couldn't sit with her and watch. Such a sad sad day in our history.she had a lot of questions, as of course she doesn't remember any of this. Many tears this morning as I remember. Prayers going out to those directly affected by this and to the friends and families who lost loved ones. Prayers for all of us really, as I can't imagine a single American who wasn't affected by this, who is old enough to remember.

Deathravin
09-11-2011, 09:58 AM
YAY! Somewhere to put a bunch of inappropriate 9/11 themed pictures and jokes!

Happy "Bring your plane to work" day!

✈▌▌

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpP7b2lUxVE

http://i.imgur.com/QiX8a.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2imOm.gif
http://i.imgur.com/7OAWJ.gif
http://i.imgur.com/6m4Q8.jpg

Back
09-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Time to move on.

Asha
09-11-2011, 10:40 AM
I couldn't grow a beard back then.

Deathravin
09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
What's the difference between September 11th and a cow?

You eventually stop milking a cow.

http://i.imgur.com/0ATim.png
http://twistedspeedo.com/comics/2011-08-17-CreeperTaliban.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jZYiF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4T5sn.jpg

Tgo01
09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Deathravin I get this feeling that 9/11 bothers you. Want to talk about it?

Deathravin
09-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Perhaps its just the places I typically frequent, but I've posted everything negative and positive I've come across today that was 9/11 related... well, other than those things that were blatantly anti-theistic or simply political opinion with no other value... and those seem more in context for an anti-theistic or a political opinion topic than a 9/11 topic.

I guess it just takes these sites a bit more time to allow the touching and non-offensive material to rise to the top.

TheEschaton
09-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I was over it a long time ago. I don't understand our obsession in America with "Never Forget"ting. There's a bunch of people in the south still hung up over the Civil War. Jesus.

Asha
09-11-2011, 01:28 PM
It's just a way of explaining to people that if they fuck with you, you will burn their house down and when they rebuild, you will burn their house down.

Tgo01
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I was over it a long time ago. I don't understand our obsession in America with "Never Forget"ting. There's a bunch of people in the south still hung up over the Civil War. Jesus.

This coming from the guy complaining that people didn't call Laura Bush Chewbacca in another thread.

waywardgs
09-11-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with "never forget"ing. We just tend to "not forget" the wrong things.

Traelin
09-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I just think about what 9/11 has led to. It was like the gateway drug to war. Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Libya, Yemen and probably Syria next, Iran, etc.

WRoss
09-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Perhaps its just the places I typically frequent, but I've posted everything negative and positive I've come across today that was 9/11 related... well, other than those things that were blatantly anti-theistic or simply political opinion with no other value... and those seem more in context for an anti-theistic or a political opinion topic than a 9/11 topic.

I guess it just takes these sites a bit more time to allow the touching and non-offensive material to rise to the top.

You should just show people about this website called reddit....

TheEschaton
09-11-2011, 02:42 PM
This coming from the guy complaining that people didn't call Laura Bush Chewbacca in another thread.

I wasn't complaining. I had no problems with Laura Bush's looks, nor Michelle Obama's, and thus find it suspect when people claim they call Obama Chewbacca because she's "ugly" when 1) Chewbacca isn't really the insult you go to when someone is ugly, 2) she isn't really ugly, and 3) even with someone whose looks she's on par with never suffered similar insults.

TheEschaton
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
(neg) It's been 10... 09-11-2011 01:37 PM you're an insensitive dick head. Bunch of people people still hung up on the crusades too.

What? There are? Do they put the Templar Cross in the back of their pickups and say "Don't Tread on Me"? Stop being a fucking idiot. The same week that 9/11 happened probably 40,000 people died of hunger, and that's something we can stop. Our priorities are completely fucked up when we exploit an event for jingoistic purposes. In case you don't know what jingoism is, I offer this definition:

1 : extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy.

Deathravin
09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iLnTw.gif

Lord Orbstar
09-11-2011, 05:17 PM
I would love to make both of you feel like a dog in my backyard. You are human detrius that need a good raping.

waywardgs
09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I would love to make both of you feel like a dog in my backyard. You are human detrius that need a good raping.

Always fun to use sexual violence against those who hold opinions you disagree with!

Stanley Burrell
09-11-2011, 05:37 PM
RIP to those lost.

Keller
09-11-2011, 05:42 PM

We might have a kinkier PC member than Rocktar.

Lord Orbstar
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Ya that wasnt clear. i would personally enjoy beating them with a stick until they foamed at the mouth in terror. E, your name would be Toby.

THEN someone else can rape them. say a skinhead from the Aryan Brotherhood for the E and a good Crip gang rape for deathravin.

I am sorry for posting in haste.

of course this is all idle fantasy because i am non-violent...like gandhi. trust me.

Delias
09-11-2011, 06:34 PM
What? There are? Do they put the Templar Cross in the back of their pickups and say "Don't Tread on Me"? Stop being a fucking idiot. The same week that 9/11 happened probably 40,000 people died of hunger, and that's something we can stop. Our priorities are completely fucked up when we exploit an event for jingoistic purposes. In case you don't know what jingoism is, I offer this definition:

1 : extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy.

To stop hunger, you have to let the hungry starve. Otherwise they keep breeding more hungry people.

waywardgs
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
To stop hunger, you have to let the hungry starve. Otherwise they keep breeding more hungry people.

This is the dumbest thing I've read today. Congrats!

Androidpk
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
RIP to those lost.

2nd.

Delias
09-11-2011, 06:44 PM
This is the dumbest thing I've read today. Congrats!

So... food is essentially unlimited for all of eternity, then, and population pressures are never a problem. Got it.

waywardgs
09-11-2011, 07:01 PM
So... food is essentially unlimited for all of eternity, then, and population pressures are never a problem. Got it.

Do you know what th average birth rate in developed nations is? You know, where food is plentiful? It's far lower than rates in impoverished nations. Bring up the standard of living in those nations and you alleviate overpopulation. Never mind that food actually is pretty plentiful, but lousy political policies and corrupt practices are all too often the real reason behind famine- not lack of food.

4a6c1
09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
1) RIP. The P stands for Peace. Not war.

2) Deathravin I fucking love you. (In a pg rated ponies and rainbows sort of way.)

3) My new avatar is GRRRRRRRRREAT!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8so6DIV-X3k/TgEfO4T1A9I/AAAAAAAAAn4/QTpo4m1LMjo/s1600/Tony.gif

Asha
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I thought Delias was joking but it turns out he really is a complete idiot.
Shame on me.

TheEschaton
09-11-2011, 08:21 PM
You make me laugh, Orbstar. Your posts are a study in misanthropy.

4a6c1
09-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Ya that wasnt clear. i would personally enjoy beating them with a stick until they foamed at the mouth in terror. E, your name would be Toby.

THEN someone else can rape them. say a skinhead from the Aryan Brotherhood for the E and a good Crip gang rape for deathravin.

I am sorry for posting in haste.

of course this is all idle fantasy because i am non-violent...like gandhi. trust me.

wow....

Reason number (pick a prime and divide by zero) Rush Limbaugh listeners are scary.

Tgo01
09-11-2011, 08:35 PM
What I've learned from this thread from TheE and Deathravin is no matter how important a tragedy may be to you there are bigger tragedies that deserve your attention so STFU.

waywardgs
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
wow....

Reason number (pick a prime and divide by zero) Rush Limbaugh listeners are scary.

He's a cop to boot. Better remove your bumperstickers if they aren't related to shooting terrorists and illegal aliens.

waywardgs
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
What I've learned from this thread from TheE and Deathravin is no matter how important a tragedy may be to you there are bigger tragedies that deserve your attention so STFU.

Inorite? Everyone knows American lives are worth more!

Deathravin
09-11-2011, 10:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GTLZC.jpg (http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20110911elpepuint_7/XXLCO/Ies/Llanto_hijo.jpg)

Delias
09-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I thought Delias was joking but it turns out he really is a complete idiot.
Shame on me.

This has been well established.

Also, Wayward, it appears your point is that if we make everything all better, everything will be all better. Why has no one thought of this before? You sir are a fucking genius.

waywardgs
09-12-2011, 12:04 AM
This has been well established.

Also, Wayward, it appears your point is that if we make everything all better, everything will be all better. Why has no one thought of this before? You sir are a fucking genius.

My point is that hunger is not about lack of food like you claimed. The earth produces enough food to feed every last person on it. Hunger is about power and inequality. Alternatively, my point was that you made a dumb fucking statement about how poor people who don't have enough to eat should all die. To that I say go fuck yourself, you sniveling halfwit.

Delias
09-12-2011, 12:27 AM
My point is that hunger is not about lack of food like you claimed. The earth produces enough food to feed every last person on it. Hunger is about power and inequality. Alternatively, my point was that you made a dumb fucking statement about how poor people who don't have enough to eat should all die. To that I say go fuck yourself, you sniveling halfwit.

That's not exactly what I said, no. If it seems harsh, blame reality for being what it is. I understand that it is not the compassionate line of thought, but that doesn't make it incorrect. I'm not against sharing what I have, but I also won't allow myself to be made to feel guilty for the problems of others that I have not caused.

4a6c1
09-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Compassion is always "correct" Delias.

Delias
09-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Compassion is always "correct" Delias.

Yes, but it is also possible to be correct without it.

4a6c1
09-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Ok. But we arent talking calculus here. Civilization thrives more the farther we get away from our instincts. (Sociopaths read: emotions, art, invention, sharing, love, cherishing life etc.)

waywardgs
09-12-2011, 12:41 AM
The thing is, it *is* incorrect. The world does not suffer from a shortage of food. Fuck, the American government PAYS farmers to NOT grow crops to avoid overproduction. Th problem lies in how we treat our fellow human beings and our tolerance of the self-serving political policies that ignore or outright profit from the suffering of others.

Delias
09-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Ok. But we arent talking calculus here. Civilization thrives more the farther we get away from our instincts. (Sociopaths read: emotions, art, invention etc.)

I'm clearly more of a jackass than a sociopath.

Let's for the sake of argument imagine that we live in a limited space that cannot support an ever growing population without significant technological advances... compassion takes a back seat to survival of the species, in my book. Granted, we're nowhere near that level yet, but it is not an unimaginable situation. My mind generally takes whatever information it can and leaps inevitably to the worst case scenario.

I think I'm done arguing about this now... as is so often the case on here, it's not worth the discussion. My statements are invalid because they disagree with the statements of others- quite obviously I am retarded.

Delias
09-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Th problem lies in how we treat our fellow human beings and our tolerance of the self-serving political policies that ignore or outright profit from the suffering of others.

I definitely agree with all of this, though.

4a6c1
09-12-2011, 12:50 AM
If I have to explain why compassion is useful to society and the world....eh, lets just say being a jackass is not your primary problem.

I see that you are trying to be all utilitarian sacred serfdom. That's fine, stick with it but Survival of the Species is not exactly relevant to homo sapien as long as we still 1)vaccinate our children 2)take birth control 3)use Air conditioning (See where I am going). Your biological argument does not back up your "dark ages of man" theology. Yikes!

Sorry 9/11 thread. I just turned you into a pile of academic poop.

4a6c1
09-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Do I recall you getting into aristotle logic recently?

Please do us all a favor and jump up a few thousand years to minority studies so that we dont have to explain the value of a human life again.

:D

Delias
09-12-2011, 12:55 AM
If I have to explain why compassion is useful to society and the world....eh, lets just say being a jackass is not your primary problem.

I see that you are trying to be all utilitarian sacred serfdom. That's fine, stick with it but Survival of the Species is not exactly relevant to homo sapien as long as we still 1)vaccinate our children 2)take birth control 3)use Air conditioning (See where I am going). Your biological argument does not back up your "dark ages of man" theology. Yikes!

Sorry 9/11 thread. I just turned you into a pile of academic poop.

Whatever you say- I have already admitted that I cannot win an argument with you. Congratulations on another fine internet victory.

Lord Orbstar
09-12-2011, 12:58 AM
The thing is, it *is* incorrect. The world does not suffer from a shortage of food. Fuck, the American government PAYS farmers to NOT grow crops to avoid overproduction. Th problem lies in how we treat our fellow human beings and our tolerance of the self-serving political policies that ignore or outright profit from the suffering of others.

That is a true statement and one I wish could somehow be internalized by everyone...Left and Right.

Except those communists. Fuck them, they can die.

4a6c1
09-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Whatever you say- I have already admitted that I cannot win an argument with you. Congratulations on another fine internet victory.

http://www.katechopin.org/imagefiles/awakeningcover.jpg

FNLN
09-12-2011, 01:32 AM
http://vault.error-403.net/files/1/Public/sigpic4573_1.gif.png
http://vault.error-403.net/files/1/private/161794903fe424b642-JihadSwarm.jpg

Gravebane525
09-12-2011, 06:17 AM
to try and get this back to 9-11...

I can't believe its been 10 years. I'll never forget that day. I didn't have access to a tv till well after it happined. I was out on a partyboat fishing with my dad and a bunch of strangers.(party boats just a fishign boat that you pay to get on and it takes a bunch of people out). it was a fairly slow day but very enjoyable and relaxing.

the captain came over the loud speaker and said he just got a report on the radio that one of the twin towers was hit. I hurt him turn in the radio cause we were at the part of the boat next to a window into his wheel house. a it seamed like right away the reporter said another plane hit the other tower. the captain came over the loud speaker again to tell us then asked if we would wanted him to play the radio over the loud speaker. we all kind of sat there shocked listening, everyone had forgot about fishing.

there was talk about more missing planes and it was clear we were under attack. no one knew where they were heading. we were all worried about our familys. one tower fell, then the other, it wasn't long before someone aproached the captain and asked if he would head in early. he put the question over the loud speaker and not one person said no.

the rest of the story kinda blurs together for me. the boat racing back to harbor. hoping in the car with my dad and racing home. all the planes had crashed by the time we got there. but when we got home and watched t he news and saw the footage... it really became real.

Deathravin
09-12-2011, 08:15 AM
http://vimeo.com/12862489

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I thought the events of 9/11 were tragic. It's a shame some feel there has to be a measuring stick for tragedy.

Ayamei
09-12-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't understand why people are saying GET OVER IT!!! If you're over it, and no longer bothered by it, good for you. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who lost a husband or wife, sibling, child, or best friend. There are some things you never really get over, but rather, you learn to cope with them so they don't interfere with your life and being happy.

The people saying ridiculous things that America is "milking" this, well that is your opinion, and it maybe society is a little bit. However, keep in mind it is foolish to discredit the grief and trauma of the people who lived through this event.

If I knew someone who lived through a genocide or through a famine, I wouldn't be telling them to 'get over it!'

Rinualdo
09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
The people saying ridiculous things that America is "milking" this, well that is your opinion, and it maybe society is a little bit. However, keep in mind it is foolish to discredit the grief and trauma of the people who lived through this event.

If I knew someone who lived through a genocide or through a famine, I wouldn't be telling them to 'get over it!'

There certainly is a case to be made of the media milking it, or at the least, feeling forced to make notation of the event in inappropriate venues.

I watched a lot of tv yesterday and I didn't hear a single mention of the 9/11 Responders bill.

waywardgs
09-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't understand why people are saying GET OVER IT!!! If you're over it, and no longer bothered by it, good for you. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who lost a husband or wife, sibling, child, or best friend. There are some things you never really get over, but rather, you learn to cope with them so they don't interfere with your life and being happy.

I think the point is not that the victims or their families should "get over it" but rather that the tragedy of 9/11 shouldn't forever be the banner under which we wage perpetual war. It's a statement about the politics of 9/11, not the personal pain it caused.

Rinualdo
09-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I thought the events of 9/11 were tragic. It's a shame some feel there has to be a measuring stick for tragedy.

9/11 was tragic. I agree that it can be a shame that some people have to measure, but the other side of that point is those who lack perspective.

9/11 was a tragedy, but it was equally saddening to hear all the reporters, commentators, and people on the street yesterday who referred to it as the biggest tragedy of the last decade, the last century, or that the world has ever seen.

FNLN
09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
The Akira remake is a 9/11 metaphor

They're milking this shit.

Asha
09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
9/11 was a tragedy, but it was equally saddening to hear all the reporters, commentators, and people on the street yesterday who referred to it as the biggest tragedy of the last decade, the last century, or that the world has ever seen.

^^^^

Ayamei
09-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I think the point is not that the victims or their families should "get over it" but rather that the tragedy of 9/11 shouldn't forever be the banner under which we wage perpetual war. It's a statement about the politics of 9/11, not the personal pain it caused.

I think the purpose of this thread was to simply point out how time flies, and maybe post something about condolences and remembrance. I didn't start this thread so maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure most of the political statements made were on the topic consisted of being insensitive to the tragedy, nevermind the thread didn't really begin with a political undertone.

I'm already ashamed I dignified this thread with my response, much less 2 of them.

Latrinsorm
09-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm clearly more of a jackass than a sociopath.

Let's for the sake of argument imagine that we live in a limited space that cannot support an ever growing population without significant technological advances... compassion takes a back seat to survival of the species, in my book. Granted, we're nowhere near that level yet, but it is not an unimaginable situation. My mind generally takes whatever information it can and leaps inevitably to the worst case scenario.

I think I'm done arguing about this now... as is so often the case on here, it's not worth the discussion. My statements are invalid because they disagree with the statements of others- quite obviously I am retarded.At no point in human history has our species not made significant technological advances.

Sometimes when people ridicule your position, it is because it is simply ridiculous, not because they are being meanieheads. It is your choice how to respond to this, and the choice you have made is not helpful to you.

Deathravin
09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
At no point in human history has our species not made significant technological advances.

The Dark Ages - read up on it.

Also, Islam once made great advances in technology between the 9th and 12th centruries.... Then Imam Hamid al-Ghazali came along and convinced the Muslim people that scientific progress was the work of the devil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w). They have been in their own dark ages ever since. Nothing stops technological advancement faster than Religion.

Tgo01
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Also, Islam once made great advances in technology between the 9th and 12th centruries.... Then Imam Hamid al-Ghazali came along and convinced the Muslim people that scientific progress was the work of the devil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w). They have been in their own dark ages ever since. Nothing stops technological advancement faster than Religion.

It's true, I heard Africa had electricity in ancient times.

Deathravin
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
It's true, I heard Africa had electricity in ancient times.

Clearly. I mean at no point in human history has technological advancement stagnated. This would certainly make sense.

peppykipstein
09-12-2011, 01:13 PM

derka derka derka derka CAUSE I STUDIED IT derka derka derka FAKE derka derka

Delias
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
At no point in human history has our species not made significant technological advances.

Sometimes when people ridicule your position, it is because it is simply ridiculous, not because they are being meanieheads. It is your choice how to respond to this, and the choice you have made is not helpful to you.

When I said "Significant" I meant more to the point of turning rocks into food or radically revolutionizing the way we grow/fertilize. The resources of the planet are not limitless. You think my position is far-fetched, I prefer to think of it as far-sighted.

Atlanteax
09-12-2011, 01:33 PM

Due to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occasionalism

Apparently it is by God's will that wood logs in the fireplace generate heat for the home (as opposed to being a chemical reaction that release heat).

Hence the drastic reduction in innovation, as why change/challenge anything, everything is as God intended it to be!

Androidpk
09-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I find it disgraceful the way 9/11 first responders have been treated by the government.

LMingrone
09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I was having all kinds of good luck yesterday. A Praying Mantis landed on my Flag. Landed on my hat. Go America! Go! Go Giants!

Then...The Best Manning ruins it all. I tried to take a picture with my cat with the mantis on her head. Everyone loves cat memes! Now I have a dead mantis and The GIANTS suck.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8241/before2w.jpg

TheEschaton
09-12-2011, 03:35 PM

If you were still a complete wreck 10 years after the death of your husband, from no matter what cause, I'd say get over that too. It's called the stages of grieving, eventually you have to get to acceptance, this country is still stuck in rage.

-TheE-

P.S. I was in Boston at the time where the planes took off, and my dad worked in the WTC every Monday and Tuesday at the time, but was offsite for a management retreat that Tuesday. I consider myself very lucky. But I consider wallowing in the misery of the day to be unhealthy at best, jingoistic and ultra-nationalist at worst.

Back
09-12-2011, 03:52 PM
If we were to memorialize every death every day would be Memorial Day. I like to think that every day is someone’s birthday rather than morbidly dwell on everyone’s deaths.

There is no denying its a great tragedy but we may as well be celebrating the Saudi’s success at bringing down those towers.

The memorial they have built is disturbing to me in two ways. One is that I really don’t want that memory thrown in my face every time I look at the NYC skyline. Second is how much water and power is it using that could be used for something more productive? I’d rather they have rebuilt the towers twice as tall.

CrystalTears
09-12-2011, 04:04 PM
They should have just built the same buildings to look exactly the same as they did before and dedicate one floor as a memorial.

There are just some events that people will never forget, and will always remember where they were when it happened. I don't need a yearly reminder of the tragedy we witnessed that day.

Tgo01
09-12-2011, 04:42 PM
If you were still a complete wreck 10 years after the death of your husband, from no matter what cause, I'd say get over that too. It's called the stages of grieving, eventually you have to get to acceptance, this country is still stuck in rage.

I do believe you can 'accept' the death of a loved one but can still honor/remember/miss/etc them on their birthday and/or anniversary and/or the day they died. I'm also pretty sure that's normal and not indicative of any sort of emotional problem on the part of the one grieving.

TheEschaton
09-12-2011, 04:52 PM
My whole point is that we haven't accepted it, and our memorials aren't just memorials of something that we've moved on from.

Tgo01
09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
My whole point is that we haven't accepted it, and our memorials aren't just memorials of something that we've moved on from.

What exactly makes you think we haven't accepted it?

TheEschaton
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
CF Rinauldo's posts about this being the greatest tragedy ever, etc, etc, our constant fear of terror especially around the anniversary, our perpetual war based on the events of 9/11, the security state which has arisen and not subsided over two very different presidents, the mention of it every 5 seconds everywhere. I'd love a normal September the 11th where I could actually live my life (in one of the cities it happened in), without the faux gravitas of it being some lingering tragedy.

Rinualdo
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM

I gotta disagree here. I think as a society, we've long since accepted and moved on. Sept 11th 2001 doesn't register in most people's minds on a daily or weekly basis. Certainly the people directly involved do, but en mass, I don't think most people know or care.

I think the media shoves the day and events down our throats on a regular basis, much more so as the anniversary gets closer every year. Beyond that, I don't think it registers on many people's thoughts.

Tgo01
09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
CF Rinauldo's posts about this being the greatest tragedy ever, etc, etc, our constant fear of terror especially around the anniversary, our perpetual war based on the events of 9/11, the security state which has arisen and not subsided over two very different presidents, the mention of it every 5 seconds everywhere. I'd love a normal September the 11th where I could actually live my life (in one of the cities it happened in), without the faux gravitas of it being some lingering tragedy.

Isn't it kind of silly to assume there are no terrorist threats against our nation, especially on the anniversary of 9/11? Didn't 80 of our soldiers get wounded in Afghanistan yesterday from a suicide bomber(s)?

Mentioning the 9/11 tragedy on 9/11, yeah that is kind of strange huh?

I hear people still hold memorials for the people who died in the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. Man that was almost 70 years ago, time to let that shit go!

Rinualdo
09-12-2011, 05:05 PM

I want to clarify this. When asked about it, I think most Americans lack a global perspective and frame of reference. Their ethnocentric views place anything about this country in reverence to the rest of the world and willfully ignore tragedies that occur. For example, when asked about the events and tragedies of the last decade, most people default to 9/11 and have the tsunami of '04 and its 250,000 direct dead and 1,500,000 or so displaced never enters their mind.

The key point here is that this is triggered, not innate. Independent of any prompting, most people who were not directly impacted don't spend their days dwelling on the event, which is primarily necessary to claim the society isn't over something.

For those who are directly impacted, I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else who has lost a loved one how long they have to get over something, no matter what the cause of that lost life is.

Tgo01
09-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I gotta disagree here. I think as a society, we've long since accepted and moved on. Sept 11th 2001 doesn't register in most people's minds on a daily or weekly basis. Certainly the people directly involved do, but en mass, I don't think most people know or care.

I think the media shoves the day and events down our throats on a regular basis, much more so as the anniversary gets closer every year. Beyond that, I don't think it registers on my people's thoughts.

His people!

Rinualdo
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
His people!

lol. I accidentally that one.
It was supposed to be "many"

Parkbandit
09-12-2011, 06:05 PM

I'd love a normal September the 11th where I could actually live my life (in one of the cities it happened in), without the faux gravitas of it being some lingering tragedy.

I would say you need to get over it. Christ, are you a drama queen about everything?

TheEschaton
09-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Yes. I am.

Rinualdo
09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
We still honor the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I don't think we'll have a "normal" Sept 11th for a very, very long time.

Parkbandit
09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes. I am.

I just love how you tell people that lost someone special on 9-11-01 that they need to get over it.. but you shouldn't have to live your life by being forced to remember 9-11 every year.

You poor thing you. :(

Parkbandit
09-12-2011, 06:28 PM
We still honor the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I don't think we'll have a "normal" Sept 11th for a very, very long time.

Why are you so insensitive????

TheEschaton
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Poor Ayamei is ignoring me because she can't handle my hate-filled rhetoric, LOL.

Latrinsorm
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Also, Islam once made great advances in technology between the 9th and 12th centruries.... Then Imam Hamid al-Ghazali came along and convinced the Muslim people that scientific progress was the work of the devil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w). They have been in their own dark ages ever since. Nothing stops technological advancement faster than Religion.If you'll forgive me, I think I have read up on it more than you. The theory that religion fundamentally opposes science or advancement just doesn't hold water. How do you think the barbarian European civilizations were able to catch up Islam enough to win some of the Crusades, thousands of miles from their support bases? They got lucky, obviously, but my point is that this was supposedly after centuries of decay in Europe and golden centuries for Islam. The narrative doesn't fit the facts - discard the narrative.
When I said "Significant" I meant more to the point of turning rocks into food or radically revolutionizing the way we grow/fertilize. The resources of the planet are not limitless. You think my position is far-fetched, I prefer to think of it as far-sighted.The point is that the limit on our food resources is more than high enough to satisfy everyone's hunger without consigning the poor to starvation.

Gelston
09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
I'll say that as an American, I do hold the lives of my fellow Americans over everyone else who is not one. Just like I hold the lives of my family to be more valuable as opposed to the lives of other Americans. Sorry, that is just who I am.

Parkbandit
09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I'll say that as an American, I do hold the lives of my fellow Americans over everyone else who is not one. Just like I hold the lives of my family to be more valuable as opposed to the lives of other Americans. Sorry, that is just who I am.

http://orwells1984oregon.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/thats_racist12.gif

waywardgs
09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
The point is that the limit on our food resources is more than high enough to satisfy everyone's hunger without consigning the poor to starvation.

Or death, as Delias would have it. You know, to cure hunger, let the hungry die off.

Same thing with AIDS: if they would all just die, we'd cure aids. Spic and span! Maybe we should be proactive and kill them off all at once?

waywardgs
09-12-2011, 06:57 PM
http://orwells1984oregon.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/thats_racist12.gif

Lulz.. you bring racism up more than anyone I've ever known.

TheEschaton
09-12-2011, 07:18 PM
The thing is, for all of you (and initially for me), 9/11 was a horrific tragedy. For me, though, the reaction afterwards soured the day as a "tragedy" for me. Having my friends harassed or even beaten up, for being brown, Muslims being killed for being Muslim, being searched constantly for 6 years to take a flight, having friends detained indefinitely by INS simply for being students from Lebanon, being told I wasn't welcome in public settings...that's my memory of 9/11 now. And it still crops up: the "Ground Zero Mosque", the Islamophobia which still exists, the distrust of brown people travelling alone. So fuck y'all when I say get over it...I want to go back to being the good minorities who are assumed to be doctors. ;)

Delias
09-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Or death, as Delias would have it. You know, to cure hunger, let the hungry die off.

Same thing with AIDS: if they would all just die, we'd cure aids. Spic and span! Maybe we should be proactive and kill them off all at once?

Don't put words in my mouth. I get myself in enough shit without you making things up.

Tgo01
09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
The thing is, for all of you (and initially for me), 9/11 was a horrific tragedy. For me, though, the reaction afterwards soured the day as a "tragedy" for me. Having my friends harassed or even beaten up, for being brown, Muslims being killed for being Muslim, being searched constantly for 6 years to take a flight, having friends detained indefinitely by INS simply for being students from Lebanon, being told I wasn't welcome in public settings...that's my memory of 9/11 now. And it still crops up: the "Ground Zero Mosque", the Islamophobia which still exists, the distrust of brown people travelling alone. So fuck y'all when I say get over it...I want to go back to being the good minorities who are assumed to be doctors. ;)

That all happened 4 or more years ago, time to move on right?

waywardgs
09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Don't put words in my mouth. I get myself in enough shit without you making things up.

OK. I'll use your words.

Parkbandit
09-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Lulz.. you bring racism up more than anyone I've ever known.

I'm not shocked you don't know many people.

You should really get out more.

waywardgs
09-13-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm not shocked you don't know many people.

You should really get out more.

Burned by the guy who spends all his free time brewing and drinking beer in his basement and calling people retards on the Internet.

Back
09-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Burned by the guy who spends all his free time brewing and drinking beer in his basement and calling people retards on the Internet.

Respect your elders, newb!

Sean of the Thread
09-13-2011, 04:09 AM
There are just some events that people will never forget, and will always remember where they were when it happened. I don't need a yearly reminder of the tragedy we witnessed that day.

Like my mother/aunts/uncles will never shut the fuck up about the JFK assassination.

Sean of the Thread
09-13-2011, 04:12 AM
So fuck y'all when I say get over it...I want to go back to being the good minorities who are assumed to be doctors. ;)

Of course they're assumed to be doctors... the degrees are inserts in the Sunday paper over there. :P

Post script: An Indian doctor saved my life ftw.

Warriorbird
09-13-2011, 07:33 AM
It was an awful thing.

Letting it be the biggest thing on our minds is letting the terrorists win.

We need to continue to be America, the greatest country on the planet.

Gravebane525
09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
lets see... how often do I think about 9-11.

when I notice an American flag, maybe 25% of the time.
times I notice an American flag, maybe once a month?

when one of the tribute songs or songs like them come on the radio. that happened quite a bit before, 9-11 is really the only day you hear them anymore.

I've been on a plane a few times sense then, been at airports a good deal in the last year or two and it never crossed my mind.

I don't see the problem with looking back on the anniversary and thinking about what happened. thinking about where you were, all the lives lost that day. its a day we should never forget. it was the day we were shown that there are people that hate us so much that they would bring a war of terror to our home.

how many times has that happened in American history? I can only think of 2. it should be remembered, it should never be forgotten. and if you have to get some strange looks at the airport or get searched an extra time for the safety of the nation then its worth the price. Americans learned that day that there are people out there that would stop at nothing to hurt us where we live. I'm glad we tightened security and hope it never goes slack.

all that said, "our war on terror" was needed. but I do think the government used it as an excuse to follow there own agenda.

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 09:42 AM

You aren't very good at math OR making friends....

Let's do some math together:

There are 168 hours in a week.

Typically, I work 20-25 hours a week.

That leaves 143 hours a week. I generally sleep 5-6 hours a day.. that still 100 hours a week of free time.

Now, I've pretty much halted my homebrewing for the summer, because of the heat.. but let's pretend it's December and I'm making a batch of beer every 3 weeks. A batch takes about 5 total time.. from grain to keg. Let's round it up to 6.. that's 2 hours a week, we're down to 98 hours of free time.

Drinking would be something that is multi-tasked.. either at the pool, at the bar or watching TV.. so there really is no time being spent "drinking beer". Still at 98.

Maybe "all his free time" was a bit of overblown stupidity on your part.. wouldn't you agree?

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Post script: An Indian doctor saved my life ftw.

Hey, an Indian barista saved my life one day! I needed a coffee SO bad, I thought I would die.. and POOF, a little DD to the rescue!

AnticorRifling
09-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what 5 total time is..is that measured in meaters?

Rinualdo
09-13-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what 5 total time is..is that measured in meaters?

Meaters?

Cephalopod
09-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Meaters?

It's like measuring in horts, but the cock is already in your mouth.

JDDZ
09-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Wow this thread is a train wreck. I really enjoyed reading it. I like how TheE points out how world hungry kills x amount of people every week, while his profile pic is that of a porker in a suit. So tell me, what are YOU doing to end world hunger, TheE? haha, go eat another hotdog or something.

AnticorRifling
09-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Meaters?

Meaters is the unit of measure for measuring meat. Basically boils down to me being retarded and getting made fun of for it until I die. We were on Vent and someone was talking about Man vs Food and how he had to eat a meter of sausage. I said what the fuck kind of measurement is a meater I mean is it weight?

Yeah it was one of those. Everyone was quiet for a minute then it was "Uh I'm pretty sure you're retarded" to which I replied "Yeah pretty much".

And we've been laughing about it ever since.

Liagala
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Wow this thread is a train wreck. I really enjoyed reading it. I like how TheE points out how world hungry kills x amount of people every week, while his profile pic is that of a porker in a suit. So tell me, what are YOU doing to end world hunger, TheE? haha, go eat another hotdog or something.
That's the first time I've ever heard MLK called "a porker in a suit."

Atlanteax
09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
That's the first time I've ever heard MLK called "a porker in a suit."

There is another picture, of him being disgusted with himself, in his profile.

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Hours.. since that was the unit of measure used throughout the post.

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 10:58 AM

I wouldn't consider him a "porker".

And while I believe TheE lives on another planet, at another time, in a different reality from normal humans... one thing I will give him credit for is sticking by his misguided principles. He's been in the Peace Corps and probably could have taken a corporate lawyer gig if it wasn't against his "religion".

Atlanteax
09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Aye, I give him credit for the same ... in the meantime, I was not the one that referred to him as "a porker" however.

Liagala
09-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Somehow I read "profile pic" as "avatar." I blame it on the meaters. I wouldn't call TheE a porker any more than I would MLK. He looks fine to me. Also, he can't eat hot dogs. Everyone knows that all brown people are terrorist muslims, and Islam prohibits eating pork.

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Somehow I read "profile pic" as "avatar." I blame it on the meaters. I wouldn't call TheE a porker any more than I would MLK. He looks fine to me. Also, he can't eat hot dogs. Everyone knows that all brown people are terrorist muslims, and Islam prohibits eating pork.

He's not Muslim, he's Indian.. and they believe the cow is some sacred god or something stupid.

So I bet he could eat turkey franks!

Androidpk
09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
He's not Muslim, he's Indian.. and they believe the cow is some sacred god or something stupid.

He could but I would hope not, turkey franks are gross.

Asha
09-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Thank holy mother of fuck I haven't tried one of those bitches.

AnticorRifling
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM

He's catholic....Indian isn't a religion.

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
He's catholic....Indian isn't a religion.

Aren't they all the same?

Weird.

AnticorRifling
09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Racist.

Rinualdo
09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
At least we can all agree that Islam isn't a religion.

ERGUNproIsrael
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
At least we can all agree that Islam isn't a religion.

Amen.

ERGUNproIsrael
09-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Fail.

Deathravin
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EZLaA.jpg

Damn Goodwin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwin%27s_law), you're always right.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-13-2011, 02:05 PM
It really must suck thinking the government always has some plan to fuck the little people all day, every day. If I felt that way, I'd find some country that was more aligned with my ideals and move there.

Back
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
It really must suck thinking the government always has some plan to fuck the little people all day, every day. If I felt that way, I'd find some country that was more aligned with my ideals and move there.

Its not the government. Its the rich people who control the government.

Gravebane525
09-13-2011, 02:19 PM

naw... the government aint out to screw the little guy. the government is there to run the country... the politicians run the government. the politicians arn't out to screw the little guys either. in fact they could care less about the little guy. only thing they care about is doign everything they cat to work things into the bills they pass that will line the pockets of there friends and familys with money. now its the little guys that put the politicians in power, but it ain't like we got any choice. there no one else running for office.

Lord Orbstar
09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
deathravin, you cant make up a poster, put the big HG's name on there then have everyone believe he really said that. pretty convenient for your "side" I think.

You do the reasearch, prove it is not an internet bullshit thing then come back. Until then: liar.

When you prove me wrong, you will no longer be a liar. You will just be a commie.

/tongueincheek

Asha
09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I can never tell when Obstar is kidding.

/tongueincheek

Stop playing with my mind!!

waywardgs
09-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I know you /tongueincheeked, but it made me curious, so I looked it up. Evidently he said this in an interview while sitting in a jail cell during the Nuremberg trials.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/goering.asp

waywardgs
09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
You aren't very good at math OR making friends....

Let's do some math together:

There are 168 hours in a week.

Typically, I work 20-25 hours a week.

That leaves 143 hours a week. I generally sleep 5-6 hours a day.. that still 100 hours a week of free time.

Now, I've pretty much halted my homebrewing for the summer, because of the heat.. but let's pretend it's December and I'm making a batch of beer every 3 weeks. A batch takes about 5 total time.. from grain to keg. Let's round it up to 6.. that's 2 hours a week, we're down to 98 hours of free time.

Drinking would be something that is multi-tasked.. either at the pool, at the bar or watching TV.. so there really is no time being spent "drinking beer". Still at 98.

Maybe "all his free time" was a bit of overblown stupidity on your part.. wouldn't you agree?

:rofl:

Ok, so you sleep, work 20 hours a week, brew beer and do things while drinking beer, so you aren't really drinking beer. Got it.

lmao @ you breaking down your week for me as a response. Funny stuff, PB, funny stuff.

edit: oh, but you forgot to tell us how much time you spend calling people retards on the internet. That's your next assignment, get on it!

Latrinsorm
09-13-2011, 03:21 PM
He's catholic....Indian isn't a religion.There's a lot of interesting correlations between Hinduism as a religion and India as a national entity. It's arguable that the only unifying theme of Hinduism is India, and to the extent that you accept the existence of Hindu Muslims or Hindu Christians vice versa as well.
It really must suck thinking the government always has some plan to fuck the little people all day, every day. If I felt that way, I'd find some country that was more aligned with my ideals and move there.Even worse if you simultaneously subscribe to the belief that governments are the best possible option. Depressing, no?

Androidpk
09-13-2011, 03:28 PM

Probably because there is a history of the government doing shady things like that? Operation Northwood comes to mind..

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 04:09 PM
:rofl:

Ok, so you sleep, work 20 hours a week, brew beer and do things while drinking beer, so you aren't really drinking beer. Got it.

lmao @ you breaking down your week for me as a response. Funny stuff, PB, funny stuff.

edit: oh, but you forgot to tell us how much time you spend calling people retards on the internet. That's your next assignment, get on it!

I just wanted to illustrate how retarded you are. Mission Accomplished.

PS - This post took 5 seconds.

Solkern
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Yup, I agree 100%
Yearly reminders are too much, but I think a 10, 20 year and so forth, is something I'm not against.

Also, I don't think the majority of people are having trouble, "moving on" I've moved on, but on this day, I take a moment, to remember, the people who did pass away in this tragedy.

Yes, do people die all the time? of course, but in our country, the amount of people on this scale, in our country, don't die like this.
Of course you can bring up, OKC bombing, and so forth, but the circumstances are different.

waywardgs
09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I just wanted to illustrate how retarded you are. Mission Accomplished.

PS - This post took 5 seconds.

Lol. It's like you're emotionally trapped in the second grade. Congrats on being in touch with your inner child I guess!

TheEschaton
09-13-2011, 04:53 PM
There's a lot of interesting correlations between Hinduism as a religion and India as a national entity. It's arguable that the only unifying theme of Hinduism is India, and to the extent that you accept the existence of Hindu Muslims or Hindu Christians vice versa as well.Even worse if you simultaneously subscribe to the belief that governments are the best possible option. Depressing, no?

India has a Catholic PM, a Hindu President, and a Muslim Premier. I think India wins.

Also, I also thought JDDZ was referring to MLK too, and I was confused, lol. As for me being a porker, I could probably lose some weight, but that girl I'm with is like, retard skinny, so yeah.

And I don't eat hot dogs, I only eat Italian sausages.....and I'm pre-empting any cock jokes by...uh, declaring that I'm pre-empting them.

-TheE-

Cephalopod
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
You don't really see a lot of really skinny retards.

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Lol. It's like you're emotionally trapped in the second grade. Congrats on being in touch with your inner child I guess!

You're retarded.

this post took 3 seconds.

Some Rogue
09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
You don't really see a lot of really skinny retards.

Bullshit! Where do you think models come from??

waywardgs
09-13-2011, 07:12 PM
You're retarded.

this post took 3 seconds.

I must be to spend my time in a pissing contest with an emotionally crippled old man whose fallback insult is to compare people to those with mental handicaps. I learned not to do that kind of thing in kindergarten.

Parkbandit
09-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I must be to spend my time in a pissing contest with an emotionally crippled old man whose fallback insult is to compare people to those with mental handicaps. I learned not to do that kind of thing in kindergarten.

Simple math was another lesson you clearly failed at.

I'm seeing a trend...

waywardgs
09-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Simple math was another lesson you clearly failed at.

I'm seeing a trend...

Hey, we have something in common. I'm seeing a trend too.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I learned not to do that kind of thing in kindergarten.

That's where I learned all my good material...

ArticorRifling
09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Herp derp.

alex jamie and bill
10-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I enjoy being a godless liar and a hypocrite. Please pay attention to me I'm so lonely in the real world. I know I've got a finite time before my "wife" gets citizenship and then runs screaming from my house.