PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the good times gone?

Stunseed
05-29-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm bored at work, so I read into a gemstone site, that had many an event back in old-school IceMule Trace. My characters grew up in that town, surrounded by people had who the ability to role-play, and overall while boring, I had a blast RP'ing with the old crew.

Now, everytime I go to Mule, it makes me sick to my stomach how blantantly wrong it is.

Maybe it was just the fact the game had such a strong pull back when, so my question is..

Where have all the good times gone? Anyone else experiencing this problem, I looked at those old logs and thought "Wow"..Maybe I just miss the people I RP'd with.

Discuss.

Anebriated
05-29-2004, 10:45 AM
How long ago were the logs from? I miss old school Icemule and Vaalor when it first opened. Those are the two places where i had the most fun.

Latrinsorm
05-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Stunseed
Maybe I just miss the people I RP'd with.
I think that's it. Because that's what's happening with me.

Stunseed
05-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Some of those logs were '99, Stunseed version 1. A couple saw version 2 just retaining the title of Lord, and the lastest one is when Stun hit 30 trains.

The old-school crew, like Jestin, Tjaran, Tayre, Kasia, all the Mule folk that kicked major ass. During the migration invasions, Thurfel's and all types of stuff. Even showed Stun killing his first saber-tooth.

Good times.

Edited because there are obviously more people than those I could hit off the top of my head. While I take a nap at work more will come to me.

[Edited on 5-29-2004 by Stunseed]

Merjinia
05-29-2004, 11:43 AM
I know what you mean. It seems like the town has changed, perhaps the mainstay of mule, the people outgrew the town and moved on. I miss the old days too, I miss the feeling of community Ice Mule once had, now it seem the town as a whole is less accepting, less kind and a whole lot less friendly then it use to be.

Merji's Muse.

Wezas
05-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I personally think the good times left when names (like the backwards spelling of Deesnuts) were allowed in game.

Just my opinion though :socool:

Artha
05-29-2004, 12:05 PM
I think the good times left when people started caring more about advancing their characters than RPing. And those who didn't even bother with RP weren't reprimanded.

Stunseed
05-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey Wezas....You realize the first person to actually notice my name had an OOC meaning was in about '03? I personlly believe Stunseed is in genre, to an acceptable extent. Although it would be more of a surname, much alike Dove Falconhand, etc.

Though I see your point.

Trinitis
05-29-2004, 12:49 PM
My old haunts in Icemule are all but dead, saddly. I have great memories of hanging out in the node in Thyrils (even managed to talk the old Icemule Guru to make a little shrine there for us). Most of the names of old I liked to RP with are gone. Dapplecloud, The green one, Lorinda, Ilvane (shes never around..), etc.

But some of the old ones have been comming back as of late. Morstanya has been spotted IG a lot more often as of late, same as Elminstir and a few others.

I think the biggest change to Icemule is the overflow of power hunters, combined with the fact that people like Skyfawn and Silversoft are the ones teaching the "true newbs" about the game now, insted of people like Elminstir (who taught me), or the Green One.

-Adredrin

[Edited on 5-29-2004 by LordAdredrin]

Ilvane
05-29-2004, 12:55 PM
I miss old Icemule too. I haven't been playing much lately since my dad died, and since I have been singing a lot more out..so I am just not around.

When I did come in a while back, it wasn't the same, people are much different, and are really just not in character often or are not the kind of people I would roleplay with.

-A

Anebriated
05-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Ok, so we all agree, old icemule was a fun place to be. Why not try to start up RP in an area again now? If enough people try it you just might make an impact. Also if a bunch of people from here were to go and interact in an IC manner and roleplay together in icemule we could cover most age ranges and maybe help bring the town to how we all remember it from the 'good ol days'. Just a thought...

Galleazzo
05-30-2004, 02:56 AM
I had a guy in Icemule I had a lot of fun with back when. Times I bring him in now he doesn't recognize most everyone. But I don't think it's because we were all great two, three years ago and Icemule sucks now. It's just because our crew isn't there any more.

And everyone says that in GS. They're leaving because THEIR bunch isn't around any more, and they don't want to get a new bunch.

But if you're in the game long enough you have to. OVer and over again. RP's out there, guys, and mebbe folks who'd RP if they thought anyone was out there to do it with.

:bouncy:

Trinitis
05-30-2004, 03:21 AM
I RP in icemule all the time. Watch for my warrior Arinvar, he is ALWAYS in some form of trouble in Icemule.

Just a few days ago I was getting bitched at again in TC for trying to drag a dead body away to give it respectable treatment and "return it do the earth, as the body belongs."

Seems people don't take kindly to that. :p

Hehehe

Galleazzo
05-30-2004, 03:29 AM
Heh, that's pretty funny. I got an idea, say you're talking the body to the "farmhands," 'cause people talk about farmhands up there all the time and you figure they need fertilizer.

:lol2:

Trinitis
05-30-2004, 03:34 AM
Well, Arinvar is a barbarian from the Arctic clan. He's not to bright, but he has a strong urge to do the right thing. Where he comes from, leaving a dead body liein around is disrespectful to the spirit. One must return to the land, for the spirit to be freed. So, he always tries to drag dead bodies outside of town to free them. I normally end up bound/stunned/webbed etc for 15-20 min with people bitching me out. Its pretty funny too me, as it takes them that long to figure out I was actually sticking to an RP, and not just being an asshole.

Ravenstorm
05-30-2004, 03:34 AM
The good times always disappear. They did right after the Ice Age ended when all the ten hour wonders with their free AOL disks showed up.

I never did enjoy Teras once it opened but Pinefar was great. It was small and comfy and everyone who made their home there knew each other. Very reminiscent of what I missed about pre-AOL. That changed.

Then Solhaven was fun. Bigger than Pinefar but again, those who moved there kept an eye out for each other. That changed eventually too.

Eventually, it becomes just not worth it to keep moving to find another place you enjoy because it's just delaying the inevitable and you can have as much fun for free elsewhere with much less frustration.

Raven

Back
05-30-2004, 03:38 AM
I'll bet the Rest is still laid back. Good folks there.

Galleazzo
05-30-2004, 03:40 AM
Lot of good folk in Solhaven these days.

Demonea
06-08-2004, 05:11 PM
I miss the old Icemule too.

I started a new wizard up there recently, and I haven't had much luck finding anyone to RP. :shrug:

TheEschaton
06-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Heh, I used to hang out in the hovel in kobolds, as well as the office (or if I was feeling antisocial, the workshop) in the AI.

For a bit, Ta'Vaalor was nice, when it opened. Then it too was overrun....mainly coinciding with CoL coming to town.

-TheE-

Captain Amby
10-03-2004, 04:38 AM
Nice to see some of the 'old' gang here. I come here to read up on how things are going in gs. And just hearing some of your names have made me smile. No, I dont play Amby anymore or anyone else I used to. I gave them to someone who can do justice to them heh. I didnt have the heart or spirit to RP them anymore, and really I havent missed it.
What I do miss, is exactly what you stated here. the RP with old friends, the laughs we had and all the drama we've gone through. I tried once to be back in Mule but the atmosphere is so strange.. so cold and uncaring. Its heartening to see that folks havent just dropped off.. and maybe some are like me. Hovering heh. Wait that sounded frightening. I should say in limbo. I wish you all well and hope that RP doesnt die out. Ice Mule was very rich in that along with a sense of being a community. I hope it hasnt lost all of that. Til next time
Twas I,
Cap'n Amby

StrayRogue
10-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Things change. Theres just different groups in Mule now. As for Solhaven...I'd rather not waste my time with that clique.

Chyrain
10-03-2004, 11:27 AM
speaking of...I'm bringing up a new little assassin/theif who is just about to hit 7 trains if anyone wants to bring in some sort of roleplay with her.

she doesn't have a history yet, hasn't interacted with anyone. She's a sylvan and currently in the landing. let me know.

Psykos
10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Stunseed
I'm bored at work, so I read into a gemstone site, that had many an event back in old-school IceMule Trace. My characters grew up in that town, surrounded by people had who the ability to role-play, and overall while boring, I had a blast RP'ing with the old crew.

Now, everytime I go to Mule, it makes me sick to my stomach how blantantly wrong it is.

Maybe it was just the fact the game had such a strong pull back when, so my question is..

Where have all the good times gone? Anyone else experiencing this problem, I looked at those old logs and thought "Wow"..Maybe I just miss the people I RP'd with.

Discuss.

Remove PSInet, and start dressing in costume when you play, it'll help some.

At least it did for my little gerbil named Jolena.

Psykos

Stunseed
10-04-2004, 09:43 AM
That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while......

YOU, trying to input on Roleplay? I'd imitate Nakiro's wall of LOL, but you're simply not worth it.

10-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Why can't he?

Anyway, the RP is still there. I find plenty of RP as Arkans, you just need to make the effort. Just because your clique isn't there anymore, doesn't mean that RP is dead.

- Arkans

PS: Hell, the RP I find is in the Landing too.

Amaron
10-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Things change. Theres just different groups in Mule now. As for Solhaven...I'd rather not waste my time with that clique.

Please do not lump us in Solhaven all in a clique.. you should know better.. :heart:

There are still some of use core players there who are not cliquers...

That being said:

I have characters in every town. It used to be when one town got me down I would pop into another character but its been harder and harder in any town....

J

Jolena
05-15-2005, 06:56 PM
I've managed to find good roleplay in Landing, Solhaven and Icemule but as much as I hate to say it, I find more in the Landing then anywhere else. Solhaven, though I have some friends there who I enjoy spending time with, is quite a bit cliqueish (sp?). I have fond memories of Icemule as well but it seems just like everyone else has said recently, that it's just a very cold and almost uncaring place now. (no pun intended since it's full of snow and ice heh!).

I do feel though that it's up to the players in order to work harder to promote RP and interaction among characters in different towns, such as starting your own storylines, being public about your RP in populated areas, etc. You discard the ones who don't enjoy it and embrace the ones that do. It can be frustrating at times but it's really the only solution at this point. I also love Elrodin's idea.

As to Psyckos, eh..not worth my time.

Parker
05-15-2005, 06:57 PM
You can actually find some decent RP in Vaalor, if you know where to look, and you're able to avoid some of the more unseemly characters.

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Wow, what a fucking spectacular bump.

Parker
05-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey, I thought it was pretty cool...actually, I didn't even notice.

Jolena
05-15-2005, 07:17 PM
I didn't either heh!

ElanthianSiren
05-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Backlash
I'll bet the Rest is still laid back. Good folks there.

All my characters, excluding my main character, live in RR. IMO it's currently the best town in GS.

I think the good times 'go' when you start having bad experiences in GS. It's kind of like a drink. Good experiences fill it up, while you need to do shots for the bad ones. If you have enough negative experiences in GS, it's not going to take long before you either:

1. leave.
2. say wtf happened? and a) look to alter the game. b) look to alter your character's surroundings c) complain over and over again how things are not the same. or d) all choices above including 1.

-Melissa

Tyliera
06-09-2005, 05:34 AM
>
(Mitchem leans over and looks down the well then pushes Oweodry in the well)
>
Oweodry chuckles.
>
Mitchem waves to a stucco well.
>
The voice of Oweodry exclaims, "Help!"
>
Mitchem mysteriously exclaims, "Hush!"
>
You blink.
>
You say, "This could be a problem."
>
The voice of Oweodry exclaims, "Someone send the bucket down!"
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Ill feed you when it is time."
>
You say, "A halfling in a well."
>think got a halfling stuck in the well over here..
You focus on projecting your thoughts...
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
R>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Ill get help."
>
You peer closely at a stucco well, but see nothing of interest. Maybe if you examined it closely, you would see more.
>
You ask, "Hello?"
>
The voice of Oweodry says, "Yes, still down here."
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Halfling where you go."
>
You say, "Hopefully its not to full at the time."
>
Quimari just arrived.
>
Speaking to a stucco well, you ask, "Can you swim?"
>
You glance at an old bucket tied to the end of the well's rope.
>
The voice of Oweodry asks, "Anyone help me outta here?"
>
You no longer hear voices in your mind.
>
You ponder.
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "There is a half-elf here now."
>get bucket
You can't pick that up.
>
You exclaim, "Watch your head!"
>push bucket
That would accomplish nothing.
>
You say, "Hmm."
>
Mitchem mysteriously exclaims, "She is dropping the bucket!"
>
Quimari says, "I was just curious about the halfling in the well."
>
You say, "It seems ta be stuck on the crank."
>
Quimari grins sheepishly.
>
Mitchem points at a stucco well.
>
Quimari rubs her rainbow glaes pendant, causing a golden incandescence to dance around its edges briefly.
Quimari gets an odd look on her face.
>push buck
That would accomplish nothing.
>pull buck
I'm afraid that you can't pull that.
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Halfing you still there."
>
The voice of Oweodry says, "Send the bucket please, there are some deviilish fish down here."
>
Speaking to a stucco well, you exclaim, "Its stuck!"
>
The voice of Oweodry exclaims, "Turn the crank and send her down!"
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Bring it up with you."
>
The voice of Oweodry exclaims, "Jiggle the handle!"
>
You ponder.
>
Speaking to a stucco well, you say, "We are trying."
>pull buck
>pull buck
>
You sigh.
>pull buck
>
Letting the crank handle turn freely in his hands, Mitchem lowers the bucket down into the well.
>
You hear the well's bucket land in the waters below with a muffled splash.
>
Mitchem begins turning the crank handle, winding up the long rope that dangles into the well.
>
You turn to Mitchem and cheer!
>
Speaking to a stucco well, you say, "He has it, its on its way down."

The voice of Oweodry says, "Keep cranking..."
>
When Mitchem finally draws the rope to the top, an old bucket comes into sight, sloshing with water. Mitchem sets it carefully on the ground.
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Get in the bucket."
>
* Derryen just bit the dust!
>
Mitchem sniffs at Oweodry.
>
Mitchem coughs.
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Wow you need a bath."
>
(Oweodry hops out of the bucket soaked)
>
You examine Oweodry closely, sizing him up and taking note of all the details.
>
You say, "Oh my."
>
Oweodry shivers.
>
Oweodry walks over to a stucco well and takes a seat atop its low, wide wall.
>
Quimari ponders.
R>
Oweodry shakes his head at Mitchem and clucks his tongue.
>
Oweodry exclaims, "Never again!"
>
Mitchem grins evilly.
>
You set about preparing Oweodry to be as presentable as possible.
>
You say, "Poor lil thing."
>
Quimari just went north.
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Yes yes poor owe."
>
Oweodry sniffs.
>
Mitchem grins.
>
Oweodry sneezes.
>
Mitchem mysteriously says, "Find a wizzie get a bath.":fish:

thought i could share a late night chuckle from icemule.

Asha
06-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Hey, that was pretty good.
I've found Shimmerains best RP moments to be in Solhaven, but heck.. Icemule is populated little enough, so every move you make is seen \ felt by others.
He met a corpse there this morning and tried to convince her to ''let go'' (decay).
She fought him off pretty well, and even when whispering, did not go OOC.
Kudos to that player.
Reminded me why I love being evil before I bugger off to work.
::groan::

Groldar
06-09-2005, 05:45 AM
I'm back so chill out, the Roleplay will increase in a few weeks. I'll be giving away real cash prizes to good roleplay

Leetahkin
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Aww, I miss all the fun at the picking well. Le sigh.
Is it Gita who strips down and hops into the well for a bath? I about died the first time I saw him do that.

Drew
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Not that the log was horrible, but I do hope Mitchem asked Oweodry before he did that act. If he didn't, good save by Oweodry's player.

Mitchem has used that damn mysterious tone for at least a year now, never once changed it (actually, it may have been cryptic for a couple of months), it really gets on my nerves.